About e-learning is a comprehensive resource and information guide on e-learning, online learning, and programs in different areas of study, including instructional design, accredited online distance education, on-line degrees, and colleges and universities in the United States of America and Canada. Information about online learning is also presented.
This site is for you if you are:
- Researching degree programs online or on campus/residential PhD in Educational Technology programs. Instructional design, instructional technology, educational technology, curriculum design, instructional systems development, or instructional design and technology.
- Looking for information on e-learning and educational technology.
- Trying to make a decision about what online undergraduate or online graduate degree to enroll in.
- Interested in a Instructional Design for Online Learning as it applies to educational or instructional settings. All schools listed on this site are accredited institutions.
- Working in, or are interested in working in educational and training environments using collaborative tools for increased productivity in addition to virtual conferencing, collaboration, training, and presentations.
- Looking for information on instructional models and learning theories that guide instructional design. These are offered under education degrees.
Why this website? Within this website, you will find information that is helpful to you in various ways. First, you can research online learning information. Second, the information provided here can help you as you decided on your chosen course of study. Third, you already know what you wish to study, and are now looking to compare several colleges and universities. Forth, you are probably researching general information about e-learning or online distance education.
Here, we answer a common question, “what is e-learning?” Briefly, e-learning is a broad term that refers to learning that occurs via electronic media such as computers connected to networks. It uses media in the form of text content, images, animation, video, etc.
E-learning can also occur in face-to-face learning situations for example using video, audio, CD-ROM, etc. E-learning can be instructor-led or self-paced. In all cases, the goal is to support teaching and learning. The important issue to keep in mind is that technology will continue to evolve hence technology should not drive the learning. Learning principles should always come first.
Instructional design for e-learning is guided by learning theories, instructional design models and instructional design principles based on decades of research. One of the end results have been improvement in the processes of online and distance education. It is therefore not uncommon to hear various terms that are linked to e-learning, for example:
- Online education or online education
- Distance education or distance learning
- Technology-based training
- Web-based training
- Computer-based training
- Flexible learning
- Blended learning
See our e-learning glossary for an extensive list terms commonly used in this discipline.
The site provides details and information about all the above topics and more. The about e-learning site is a resource for current and potential students, instructors, teachers, trainers, instructional designers, multimedia and e-learning developers. You can search for online degree programs as well as campus locations in your area.
Further, the site relies on instructional and technology principles, guidelines, and current research to provide you with the most relevant up-to-date information on learning, whether you plan to engage in distance learning or on-campus courses.
The goal of this site is to provide you with a comprehensive view on information you may be seeking, including information on technical and vocational college programs. For students looking for graduate degree programs, i.e masters and doctoral degree program additional information and resources are available. Also visit our e-learning blog.
About e-Learning strives to provide you with current, relevant information on college programs, information about online learning and career options in many areas of study.