An adult education degree prepares you for careers working in adult instruction. Other areas include educational administration, and management in vocational, technical, college/university, and continuing education. In addition, you can teach in specialized areas such as English as a Second Language (ESL) or community college courses. Students who pursue an accredited adult education degree or certificate go on to work as mentors and educators. Adult education programs works best if they apply a variety of methods to teach, for example lectures, group/team work, hands-on work projects, and individual assignments. During your program of study in any of the adult education degrees listed here, the purpose is to maintain strong interpersonal and communication skills because this is a major factor when working with adult learners.
Adult Education Training
The qualifications required to become an adult education instructor depend on the type of educational program. For example if you are working in skills training, you would need to be qualified in that area. Also, if you are working with students who are preparing to take their GED, a bachelors or masters degree would usually be required.
The concept of adult learning principles was pioneered by Malcolm Knowles, a very influential figure in adult learning. He focused on the concept of andragogy – adult learning theory and the process of engaging adult learners – self-direction in learning, and informal adult education. His work led to the formation of adult education degrees and adult education online coursework in other areas that place emphasis related coursework:
- Autonomous and self-directed: The instructors must actively involve learners in the learning process and serve as facilitators. The instructors should get participants’ perspectives about what topics are relevant to them, and allow the students to take responsibility for activities.
- They have accumulated life experiences and knowledge that may include work-related activities, family responsibilities, and prior educational experiences and need to connect learning to this knowledge/experience base. To help them do so, they should draw out participants’ experience and knowledge which is relevant to the topic. They must relate andragogy theories and concepts to the participants.
- Adult learners are goal-oriented and when they sign up for a course, they often know what they want to achieve in the end. Therefore, course goals and objectives must be ascertained early in the course.
- Learners are relevancy-oriented, in that they must see a reason for learning something for instance applicability at their current job.
- Learners are practical, therefore the instructor must make it explicit how what is being covered is useful to the learners.
- Learners need to be treated with respect and they want to be treated as equals in experience and knowledge.
Adult Education Courses
Adult education classes may include the following foundations, method, theory, and curriculum of adult learning courses: Adult Learning Theory (Andragogy), Distance Education Foundations, Workforce Development, Continuing Education Models, Higher Education Administration, and Motivational Theories among others. Motivation is important in adult learning. These factors are important to motivation in online adult education degree programs:
- Social relationships: Able to make new friends, to meet a need for associations and friendships
- External expectations: Able to comply with instructions from someone else
- Social welfare: Ability to participate in community activities
- Personal advancement: Able to Achieve higher status at work and secure professional advancement
- Escape/Stimulation: Able to relieve boredom and get a break from the routine of work or home life
- Cognitive interest: Ability to learn for the sake of learning, seek knowledge for its own sake, and to satisfy inquiring minds.
Adult Education Careers
In addition to specialized subjects, adult educators might choose to focus on distance learning, workplace learning, corporate training or research programs. Adult educators often work in community colleges, universities, nonprofit organizations, corporate training, job training centers, and other facilities employ adult education instructors such as e-learning programs.
Specializations in adult education include:
- Adult basic education
- Social advocacy and action
- Education outreach
- Community education and organizing
- Family and Adult literacy
- Professional and continuing education
- Distance education
- Human resource development
- Workplace learning and development
- Informal education
- Post-secondary education
- Religious education
Students who are enrolled in the masters in adult education degree program are usually interested in updating their job skills, learning a new skill and acquiring new knowledge. They are also highly motivated and just enjoy learning learning. Some job titles include: Adult Literacy Education Coordinator, adult Education Teacher and Adult Education Program Coordinator.
Adult Education and Related Programs
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Education in Instructional Technology - Adult Learning-Organizations
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Adult Education and Training
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.*
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *Excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- M.Ed. - Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction
- And more...
- 100% Online Education Degrees - Ashford University
- Break new ground in your education career with your BA or MA in Education.
- Bachelor’s, Master’s & Associate's programs to prepare you for the invaluable role of guiding learners or shaping educational initiatives.
- Help Build the World's Future. Apply today!
- ESL/TESOL - Bachelors
- ESL/TESOL - Masters
- Education, Technology & Online Learning - Bachelors
- And more...
- Are you ready to advance or start your career inspiring minds and changing lives? Apply to join GCU's prestigious teaching community.
- GCU recognizes the diverse needs in education and creates meaningful experiences through all bachelor's and master's degree programs.
- Traditional college or online programs, GCU offers education degrees for a variety of learning needs – take your pick!
- Earn your master's or bachelor's degree online, on-campus or take individual courses for specific studies.
- Join the GCU heritage and take advantage of the opportunity to engage, instruct and inspire.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.S. in Math for Secondary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).