An adult education degree prepares you for careers working in adult instruction. Other areas include educational administration, and management in vocational, technical, college/university, and continuing education. In addition, you can teach in specialized areas such as English as a Second Language (ESL) or community college courses. Students who pursue an accredited adult education degree or certificate go on to work as mentors and educators. Adult education programs works best if they apply a variety of methods to teach, for example lectures, group/team work, hands-on work projects, and individual assignments. During your program of study in any of the adult education degrees listed here, the purpose is to maintain strong interpersonal and communication skills because this is a major factor when working with adult learners.
Adult Education Training
The qualifications required to become an adult education instructor depend on the type of educational program. For example if you are working in skills training, you would need to be qualified in that area. Also, if you are working with students who are preparing to take their GED, a bachelors or masters degree would usually be required.
The concept of adult learning principles was pioneered by Malcolm Knowles, a very influential figure in adult learning. He focused on the concept of andragogy – adult learning theory and the process of engaging adult learners – self-direction in learning, and informal adult education. His work led to the formation of adult education degrees and adult education online coursework in other areas that place emphasis related coursework:
- Autonomous and self-directed: The instructors must actively involve learners in the learning process and serve as facilitators. The instructors should get participants’ perspectives about what topics are relevant to them, and allow the students to take responsibility for activities.
- They have accumulated life experiences and knowledge that may include work-related activities, family responsibilities, and prior educational experiences and need to connect learning to this knowledge/experience base. To help them do so, they should draw out participants’ experience and knowledge which is relevant to the topic. They must relate andragogy theories and concepts to the participants.
- Adult learners are goal-oriented and when they sign up for a course, they often know what they want to achieve in the end. Therefore, course goals and objectives must be ascertained early in the course.
- Learners are relevancy-oriented, in that they must see a reason for learning something for instance applicability at their current job.
- Learners are practical, therefore the instructor must make it explicit how what is being covered is useful to the learners.
- Learners need to be treated with respect and they want to be treated as equals in experience and knowledge.
Adult Education Courses
Adult education classes may include the following foundations, method, theory, and curriculum of adult learning courses: Adult Learning Theory (Andragogy), Distance Education Foundations, Workforce Development, Continuing Education Models, Higher Education Administration, and Motivational Theories among others. Motivation is important in adult learning. These factors are important to motivation in online adult education degree programs:
- Social relationships: Able to make new friends, to meet a need for associations and friendships
- External expectations: Able to comply with instructions from someone else
- Social welfare: Ability to participate in community activities
- Personal advancement: Able to Achieve higher status at work and secure professional advancement
- Escape/Stimulation: Able to relieve boredom and get a break from the routine of work or home life
- Cognitive interest: Ability to learn for the sake of learning, seek knowledge for its own sake, and to satisfy inquiring minds.
Adult Education Careers
In addition to specialized subjects, adult educators might choose to focus on distance learning, workplace learning, corporate training or research programs. Adult educators often work in community colleges, universities, nonprofit organizations, corporate training, job training centers, and other facilities employ adult education instructors such as e-learning programs.
Specializations in adult education include:
- Adult basic education
- Social advocacy and action
- Education outreach
- Community education and organizing
- Family and Adult literacy
- Professional and continuing education
- Distance education
- Human resource development
- Workplace learning and development
- Informal education
- Post-secondary education
- Religious education
Students who are enrolled in the masters in adult education degree program are usually interested in updating their job skills, learning a new skill and acquiring new knowledge. They are also highly motivated and just enjoy learning learning. Some job titles include: Adult Literacy Education Coordinator, adult Education Teacher and Adult Education Program Coordinator.
Adult Education and Related Programs
- Post brings 127+ years of campus success to flexible online degrees in Education
- 100% online with degrees at all levels
- Connect with other professionals in education around the world and across industries
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- Master of Education - TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
- Master of Education in Instructional Design & Technology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- DMN: Expository Preaching and Teaching
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- MED: Curriculum and Instruction: General Education
- And more...
- Personalized learning that’s guided by industry trends
- Technology-driven approach designed to help you reach your potential
- Access to real-world learning and strong thought leadership
- Convenient ways to complete your degree even with a busy schedule
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Prepare for a career of learning, leading and serving with an online degree from GCU's College of Education!
- Engage, instruct and inspire students of all ages with one of GCU's many degree focuses.
- Offering initial teacher preparation options for bachelor's and master's in education.
- Take advantage of the small class sizes in both our online and campus colleges.
- For over 60 years, GCU has proudly maintained its rich heritage as a prestigious teaching college.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (NITL)
- B.S. in Math for Secondary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
- And more...
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- M.Ed. In Curriculum and Instruction - Trauma and Resilience in Educational Settings
- And more...
Trident University International provides an exceptional online educational experience for its students – diverse adult learners including current and former members of the military family. Adhering to the highest standards of academic excellence, faculty and staff foster a learning community where students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills to enhance their lives and advance their careers.
- Educational Leadership (Ed.D.)
- Master of Arts in Education
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) offers career relevant bachelor’s and master’s degree programs for working adults and nontraditional learners.
- The first and only 100% online, fully accredited public university in the United States
- No set class times or locations
- Affordable tuition, guaranteed not to increase as long as you are enrolled
- Accelerated eight-week terms
- Classes start every month
- MS - Teaching and Learning
- Instructional Design & Technology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Looking for an Online Education Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!