An art education degree is a program which prepares students to teach art and art appreciation programs. Students take course at various educational levels including K-12 educational settings, college level, and recreational and armature settings, for example adult continuing education courses. Bachelor and Master of Arts in art education degree programs are specifically tailored to develop art educators who inspire and engage students through traditional and contemporary instructional and art models. Art education programs are also designed to equip students with techniques to immerse students in impactful art learning experiences, while enhancing personal artistic skills. Students are immersed in a interactive educational environment, with studio experiences in digital and traditional media. They explore the impact that visual culture and other digital media have on learners, while investigating and developing innovative teaching strategies applicable to the immediate career.
Art Education Courses and Training
Online bachelor and masters degree program in art education provide pedagogical tools and techniques for advancing art-based education careers. Students in art education explore educational theories and strategies used to interpret and teach visual art. They focus on pedagogical and research methodology used to create art-based curricula, programs for adults, and art professionals. Depending on the particular program, common core art education courses may include:
- Pedagogy and visual culture
- Contemporary art
- Museum education
- Curriculum design
- Child and Adolescent Development
- Psychology of Learning
- Teaching Art to Talents and Gifted Students
- Teaching Art to Special Needs Students
- Instructional supervision
- New media
- Adult education and andragogy instructional strategies
- Critical pedagogy
- Social theory
- Classroom management
- Contemporary Issues in Art Education
- Curriculum Development in Art Education
- Research in Art Education
Specific art courses may include:
- Art History
- History of Art Education
- Philosophy of Art Education
- Art Education in Society
- Mixed Media
Graduates with an art education degree attain an in-depth understanding of research and curriculum design, and informal learning techniques, as well as understanding diverse issues in art education and visual culture. Prior to practicing in K-12 education, graduates are required to hold a state teaching license.
Art Education Careers
Art education degree holders can teach a variety of courses in K-12, community college courses, to work in museums and additional alternative educational environments. They can work in the following fields:
- Art administration
- Professional art education
- Educational media
- Early Childhood Art Teacher
- Elementary and Middle School Art Teacher
- Secondary School Art Teacher
- Museum Education Professional
- Talented and Gifted Art Teacher
- Special Education Art Teacher
- Arts Administrator
- Studio Art Teacher
- Community Art Education Specialist
- Community College Art Teacher
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
There are various employment opportunities with an art education degree in different industries, including teaching in K-12, working for a company, hospital, college, federal or state government, consulting, non-profit organizations, and foundations.
Contracted personnel can earn as much as $41.25 per hour with a median salary of about $53,000 to $68,000 annually. Art directors earn a median salary of about $63,750 per year. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The median annual earnings of K-12 art teachers ranges from $39,810 to $64,340. Fine artists earn between $23,970 and $48,040.
Art Education Programs
- 100% Online Education Degrees - Ashford University
- Break new ground in your education career with your BA or MA in Education.
- Bachelor’s, Master’s & Associate's programs to prepare you for the invaluable role of guiding learners or shaping educational initiatives.
- Help Build the World's Future. Apply today!
- Education, Technology & Online Learning - Bachelors
- Education, Technology & Online Learning - Masters
- Higher Education - Bachelors
- And more...
- Education programs include BA in Education Studies, BA in Child Development, and MA in Education.
- Students can specialize in areas such as Education and Public Policy, Instructional Design, and Early Childhood Education.
- Courses cover concepts such as phonics, curriculum development, instruction for English language learners, and more.
- Flexible, online courses allow students to pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- BA/Education Studies
- MA/Education - No Specialization
- BA/Library Science and Media
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.S. in Early Childhood
- B.S. in Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Special Education
- And more...
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Education in Instructional Technology - Adult Learning-Organizations
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction
- Education Specialist: Curriculum and Instruction/Elementary Education
- Bachelor of Science: Elementary Education in Interdisciplinary Studies
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science: Education
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Higher Education Track
- Master of Education in Higher Education
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership
- And more...