An art education degree is a program which prepares students to teach art and art appreciation programs. Students take course at various educational levels including K-12 educational settings, college level, and recreational and armature settings, for example adult continuing education courses. Bachelor and Master of Arts in art education degree programs are specifically tailored to develop art educators who inspire and engage students through traditional and contemporary instructional and art models. Art education programs are also designed to equip students with techniques to immerse students in impactful art learning experiences, while enhancing personal artistic skills. Students are immersed in a interactive educational environment, with studio experiences in digital and traditional media. They explore the impact that visual culture and other digital media have on learners, while investigating and developing innovative teaching strategies applicable to the immediate career.
Art Education Courses and Training
Online bachelor and masters degree program in art education provide pedagogical tools and techniques for advancing art-based education careers. Students in art education explore educational theories and strategies used to interpret and teach visual art. They focus on pedagogical and research methodology used to create art-based curricula, programs for adults, and art professionals. Depending on the particular program, common core art education courses may include:
- Pedagogy and visual culture
- Contemporary art
- Museum education
- Curriculum design
- Child and Adolescent Development
- Psychology of Learning
- Teaching Art to Talents and Gifted Students
- Teaching Art to Special Needs Students
- Instructional supervision
- New media
- Adult education and andragogy instructional strategies
- Critical pedagogy
- Social theory
- Classroom management
- Contemporary Issues in Art Education
- Curriculum Development in Art Education
- Research in Art Education
Specific art courses may include:
- Art History
- History of Art Education
- Philosophy of Art Education
- Art Education in Society
- Mixed Media
Graduates with an art education degree attain an in-depth understanding of research and curriculum design, and informal learning techniques, as well as understanding diverse issues in art education and visual culture. Prior to practicing in K-12 education, graduates are required to hold a state teaching license.
Art Education Careers
Art education degree holders can teach a variety of courses in K-12, community college courses, to work in museums and additional alternative educational environments. They can work in the following fields:
- Art administration
- Professional art education
- Educational media
- Early Childhood Art Teacher
- Elementary and Middle School Art Teacher
- Secondary School Art Teacher
- Museum Education Professional
- Talented and Gifted Art Teacher
- Special Education Art Teacher
- Arts Administrator
- Studio Art Teacher
- Community Art Education Specialist
- Community College Art Teacher
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
There are various employment opportunities with an art education degree in different industries, including teaching in K-12, working for a company, hospital, college, federal or state government, consulting, non-profit organizations, and foundations.
Contracted personnel can earn as much as $41.25 per hour with a median salary of about $53,000 to $68,000 annually. Art directors earn a median salary of about $63,750 per year. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The median annual earnings of K-12 art teachers ranges from $39,810 to $64,340. Fine artists earn between $23,970 and $48,040.
Art Education Programs
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (NITL)
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- B.S. in Elementary Education
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- DMN: Expository Preaching and Teaching
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- MED: Curriculum and Instruction: General Education
- And more...
- Regent’s School of Education will prepare you for today's dynamic world of education
- Institutionally accredited by SACSCOC with TEAC graduate program accreditation
- Regent University is proud to be ranked as a top military-friendly school
- 86% of Regent students receive some form of financial aid
- Specializations in instructional design, special education, & Christian leadership
- M.Ed. in Reading Specialist - Non-Licensure
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction - Teacher Leader
- M.Ed. in Student Affairs
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!