An art education degree is a program which prepares students to teach art and art appreciation programs. Students take course at various educational levels including K-12 educational settings, college level, and recreational and armature settings, for example adult continuing education courses. Bachelor and Master of Arts in art education degree programs are specifically tailored to develop art educators who inspire and engage students through traditional and contemporary instructional and art models. Art education programs are also designed to equip students with techniques to immerse students in impactful art learning experiences, while enhancing personal artistic skills. Students are immersed in a interactive educational environment, with studio experiences in digital and traditional media. They explore the impact that visual culture and other digital media have on learners, while investigating and developing innovative teaching strategies applicable to the immediate career.
Art Education Courses and Training
Online bachelor and masters degree program in art education provide pedagogical tools and techniques for advancing art-based education careers. Students in art education explore educational theories and strategies used to interpret and teach visual art. They focus on pedagogical and research methodology used to create art-based curricula, programs for adults, and art professionals. Depending on the particular program, common core art education courses may include:
- Pedagogy and visual culture
- Contemporary art
- Museum education
- Curriculum design
- Child and Adolescent Development
- Psychology of Learning
- Teaching Art to Talents and Gifted Students
- Teaching Art to Special Needs Students
- Instructional supervision
- New media
- Adult education and andragogy instructional strategies
- Critical pedagogy
- Social theory
- Classroom management
- Contemporary Issues in Art Education
- Curriculum Development in Art Education
- Research in Art Education
Specific art courses may include:
- Art History
- History of Art Education
- Philosophy of Art Education
- Art Education in Society
- Mixed Media
Graduates with an art education degree attain an in-depth understanding of research and curriculum design, and informal learning techniques, as well as understanding diverse issues in art education and visual culture. Prior to practicing in K-12 education, graduates are required to hold a state teaching license.
Art Education Careers
Art education degree holders can teach a variety of courses in K-12, community college courses, to work in museums and additional alternative educational environments. They can work in the following fields:
- Art administration
- Professional art education
- Educational media
- Early Childhood Art Teacher
- Elementary and Middle School Art Teacher
- Secondary School Art Teacher
- Museum Education Professional
- Talented and Gifted Art Teacher
- Special Education Art Teacher
- Arts Administrator
- Studio Art Teacher
- Community Art Education Specialist
- Community College Art Teacher
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
There are various employment opportunities with an art education degree in different industries, including teaching in K-12, working for a company, hospital, college, federal or state government, consulting, non-profit organizations, and foundations.
Contracted personnel can earn as much as $41.25 per hour with a median salary of about $53,000 to $68,000 annually. Art directors earn a median salary of about $63,750 per year. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The median annual earnings of K-12 art teachers ranges from $39,810 to $64,340. Fine artists earn between $23,970 and $48,040.
Art Education Programs
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Doctor of Education (EDD)
- Doctor of Education - Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment (K-12)
- M.S. in Early Childhood Studies - Teaching Adults in the Early Childhood Field
- And more...
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
- And more...
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- And more...
At SNHU, we believe everyone should have greater access to higher education. That’s why we offer over 200 accredited degree programs, flexible class schedules, and some of the lowest online tuition rates in the nation. We offer military tuition discounts up to 30% toward online undergraduate and graduate degree programs for U.S. service members, both full and part time, and the spouses of those on active duty.
- M.Ed. Curr & Ins - Dyslexia Studies & LBLD
- M.Ed. Curriculum Instr - Technology
- Instructional Design & Technology
- Looking for an Online Education Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!