An art education degree is a program which prepares students to teach art and art appreciation programs. Students take course at various educational levels including K-12 educational settings, college level, and recreational and armature settings, for example adult continuing education courses. Bachelor and Master of Arts in art education degree programs are specifically tailored to develop art educators who inspire and engage students through traditional and contemporary instructional and art models. Art education programs are also designed to equip students with techniques to immerse students in impactful art learning experiences, while enhancing personal artistic skills. Students are immersed in a interactive educational environment, with studio experiences in digital and traditional media. They explore the impact that visual culture and other digital media have on learners, while investigating and developing innovative teaching strategies applicable to the immediate career.
Art Education Courses and Training
Online bachelor and masters degree program in art education provide pedagogical tools and techniques for advancing art-based education careers. Students in art education explore educational theories and strategies used to interpret and teach visual art. They focus on pedagogical and research methodology used to create art-based curricula, programs for adults, and art professionals. Depending on the particular program, common core art education courses may include:
- Pedagogy and visual culture
- Contemporary art
- Museum education
- Curriculum design
- Child and Adolescent Development
- Psychology of Learning
- Teaching Art to Talents and Gifted Students
- Teaching Art to Special Needs Students
- Instructional supervision
- New media
- Adult education and andragogy instructional strategies
- Critical pedagogy
- Social theory
- Classroom management
- Contemporary Issues in Art Education
- Curriculum Development in Art Education
- Research in Art Education
Specific art courses may include:
- Art History
- History of Art Education
- Philosophy of Art Education
- Art Education in Society
- Mixed Media
Graduates with an art education degree attain an in-depth understanding of research and curriculum design, and informal learning techniques, as well as understanding diverse issues in art education and visual culture. Prior to practicing in K-12 education, graduates are required to hold a state teaching license.
Art Education Careers
Art education degree holders can teach a variety of courses in K-12, community college courses, to work in museums and additional alternative educational environments. They can work in the following fields:
- Art administration
- Professional art education
- Educational media
- Early Childhood Art Teacher
- Elementary and Middle School Art Teacher
- Secondary School Art Teacher
- Museum Education Professional
- Talented and Gifted Art Teacher
- Special Education Art Teacher
- Arts Administrator
- Studio Art Teacher
- Community Art Education Specialist
- Community College Art Teacher
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
There are various employment opportunities with an art education degree in different industries, including teaching in K-12, working for a company, hospital, college, federal or state government, consulting, non-profit organizations, and foundations.
Contracted personnel can earn as much as $41.25 per hour with a median salary of about $53,000 to $68,000 annually. Art directors earn a median salary of about $63,750 per year. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The median annual earnings of K-12 art teachers ranges from $39,810 to $64,340. Fine artists earn between $23,970 and $48,040.
Art Education Programs
Building a better future starts in the classroom. The online master’s degree programs from American University’s School of Education are designed to prepare you to teach the next generation of difference makers.
- Masters in Teaching
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Doctor of Education - Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment (K-12)
- M.S.Ed - Elementary Reading and Mathematics (Grades K-6)
- M.S.Ed - Mathematics (Grades K-6)
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- B.S. in Elementary Education
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- M.Ed. - Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction
- And more...
For nearly a century, Columbia International University has educated people from a biblical worldview to impact the nations with the message of Christ. Today we continue that effort, offering 21 degree programs for residential undergraduate students, as well as graduate and seminary programs, professional certificates, and convenient online programs for working adults.
- Master of Education (Instruction & Learning)
- Instructional Design & Technology
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- E-Learning - EdS
- Curriculum and Teaching - MAT
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Your Accredited Degree from a TOP College Awaits! - Education Connection
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Business Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!