An art education degree is a program which prepares students to teach art and art appreciation programs. Students take course at various educational levels including K-12 educational settings, college level, and recreational and armature settings, for example adult continuing education courses. Bachelor and Master of Arts in art education degree programs are specifically tailored to develop art educators who inspire and engage students through traditional and contemporary instructional and art models. Art education programs are also designed to equip students with techniques to immerse students in impactful art learning experiences, while enhancing personal artistic skills. Students are immersed in a interactive educational environment, with studio experiences in digital and traditional media. They explore the impact that visual culture and other digital media have on learners, while investigating and developing innovative teaching strategies applicable to the immediate career.
Art Education Courses and Training
Online bachelor and masters degree program in art education provide pedagogical tools and techniques for advancing art-based education careers. Students in art education explore educational theories and strategies used to interpret and teach visual art. They focus on pedagogical and research methodology used to create art-based curricula, programs for adults, and art professionals. Depending on the particular program, common core art education courses may include:
- Pedagogy and visual culture
- Contemporary art
- Museum education
- Curriculum design
- Child and Adolescent Development
- Psychology of Learning
- Teaching Art to Talents and Gifted Students
- Teaching Art to Special Needs Students
- Instructional supervision
- New media
- Adult education and andragogy instructional strategies
- Critical pedagogy
- Social theory
- Classroom management
- Contemporary Issues in Art Education
- Curriculum Development in Art Education
- Research in Art Education
Specific art courses may include:
- Art History
- History of Art Education
- Philosophy of Art Education
- Art Education in Society
- Mixed Media
Graduates with an art education degree attain an in-depth understanding of research and curriculum design, and informal learning techniques, as well as understanding diverse issues in art education and visual culture. Prior to practicing in K-12 education, graduates are required to hold a state teaching license.
Art Education Careers
Art education degree holders can teach a variety of courses in K-12, community college courses, to work in museums and additional alternative educational environments. They can work in the following fields:
- Art administration
- Professional art education
- Educational media
- Early Childhood Art Teacher
- Elementary and Middle School Art Teacher
- Secondary School Art Teacher
- Museum Education Professional
- Talented and Gifted Art Teacher
- Special Education Art Teacher
- Arts Administrator
- Studio Art Teacher
- Community Art Education Specialist
- Community College Art Teacher
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
There are various employment opportunities with an art education degree in different industries, including teaching in K-12, working for a company, hospital, college, federal or state government, consulting, non-profit organizations, and foundations.
Contracted personnel can earn as much as $41.25 per hour with a median salary of about $53,000 to $68,000 annually. Art directors earn a median salary of about $63,750 per year. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The median annual earnings of K-12 art teachers ranges from $39,810 to $64,340. Fine artists earn between $23,970 and $48,040.
Art Education Programs
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Doctor of Education (EDD)
- Doctor of Education - Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment (K-12)
- M.S.Ed - Elementary Reading and Mathematics (Grades K-6)
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- B.S. in Elementary Education
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
Online Learning at Concordia University-Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education*
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Technology Education (Master of Education) - Online
- Early Childhood Education (Certificate Only) - Online
- Early Childhood Education (MEd plus Certification) - Online
- And more...
- Looking for an Online Education Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!