Program requirements vary from program to program but the certificate is often offered colleges and departments that also offer a masters or PhD program in instructional design and related programs. Hence, the offering of courses would come from the department with possible courses outside of those departments depending on electives options and program structure, so as to provide a rounded program experience that is applicable to a workplace environment.
In some cases, graduate students pursue a certificate program along side a full masters or PhD degree. There are times when students may not be interested in earning a masters degree, for various reasons, and hence opt to pursue a certificate program instead. These reasons might include:
- One already holds masters or doctoral degree in a related, or completely different area
- One may have completed a degree a while back and decides to update their skills. For instance updating their technology skills
- Enhanced skills in the workplace
- Earning continuing education credits (CEUs)
- Taking courses that are specifically applied to one’s area of practice that may lead to professional growth
- Students may work towards a graduate certificate alongside pursuing a master’s or doctoral degree
- Enrolling in stand-alone graduate certificate programs for personal and professional development.
Some training and development organizations such as also offer certificate programs, which are typically offered over a few weeks (2-3 weeks intense face-to-face programs) and via online training programs. Organizations include:
ASTD – American Society for Training & Development – “The world’s largest association dedicated to the training and development profession.”
ISPI – International Society for Performance Improvement – “The leading international association dedicated to improving productivity and performance in the workplace.”
Typically a graduate certificate program may require students to take between 9 and 21 credit hours, with 12 and 15 credit hours being a more common requirement by most programs.
Entry requirements may include having a bachelors degree or graduate degree from an accredited program, work experience in related area. Test scores from the GRE may or may not be required, again depending on the program.
Courses and Training in Instructional Design
Graduate certificates related to instructional design certificates include:
- Human Performance Technology
- Human Resources Training and Development
- Corporate Training and Development
- Online Instructional Development
- Program Monitoring and Evaluation
- Online Teaching and Assessment
- Elearning Graduate Certificate
- Workplace Performance Improvement
Programs may focus on topics dealing with both theory and design of programs including methodology, techniques for aligning e-learning strategies with business strategies. Curriculum requirements may include taking classes such as:
- Instructional Design Theories and Models
- Foundations of Instructional Design
- Needs Assessment and Analysis of Instructional Programs
- Human Performance Technology
- Project Management in Instructional Development
- Designing Computer-Based Training (CBT)
- Instructional Strategies and Assessment Methods
- Multimedia Design
- e-Learning Development
- Assessment of Educational Technologies
Some program may require a capstone experience such as a multimedia project, research project or internship. The program may also be flexible to allow for electives, but could also be more structured for specific course sequencing.
Overall, graduate certificate in instructional design is designed for professionals who are working in K-12 education, post secondary education (colleges and universities) corporate training, professional development, as well as others who wish to transition into the realm of curriculum and instructional development or human performance technology.
Instructional Design and Related Programs
- Instructional Design & Technology
Online Learning at Concordia University-Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Methods & Curriculum
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Education in Instructional Technology - Adult Learning-Organizations
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Curriculum and Teaching - Master of Education
- Instructional Leadership - Doctor of Education
- Instructional Leadership - PhD in Education
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- M. Ed. in Teaching & Learning in Education Technology
- M.Ed. - Teaching and Learning
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Doctor of Education - Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment (K-12)
- M.S.Ed - Integrating Technology in the Classroom (Grades K-12)
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
- MSE Educational Diagnostics
- MSE Education Specialist
Building a better future starts in the classroom. The online master’s degree programs from American University’s School of Education are designed to prepare you to teach the next generation of difference makers.
- Masters in Teaching
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning