Program requirements vary from program to program but the certificate is often offered colleges and departments that also offer a masters or PhD program in instructional design and related programs. Hence, the offering of courses would come from the department with possible courses outside of those departments depending on electives options and program structure, so as to provide a rounded program experience that is applicable to a workplace environment.
In some cases, graduate students pursue a certificate program along side a full masters or PhD degree. There are times when students may not be interested in earning a masters degree, for various reasons, and hence opt to pursue a certificate program instead. These reasons might include:
- One already holds masters or doctoral degree in a related, or completely different area
- One may have completed a degree a while back and decides to update their skills. For instance updating their technology skills
- Enhanced skills in the workplace
- Earning continuing education credits (CEUs)
- Taking courses that are specifically applied to one’s area of practice that may lead to professional growth
- Students may work towards a graduate certificate alongside pursuing a master’s or doctoral degree
- Enrolling in stand-alone graduate certificate programs for personal and professional development.
Some training and development organizations such as also offer certificate programs, which are typically offered over a few weeks (2-3 weeks intense face-to-face programs) and via online training programs. Organizations include:
ASTD – American Society for Training & Development – “The world’s largest association dedicated to the training and development profession.”
ISPI – International Society for Performance Improvement – “The leading international association dedicated to improving productivity and performance in the workplace.”
Typically a graduate certificate program may require students to take between 9 and 21 credit hours, with 12 and 15 credit hours being a more common requirement by most programs.
Entry requirements may include having a bachelors degree or graduate degree from an accredited program, work experience in related area. Test scores from the GRE may or may not be required, again depending on the program.
Courses and Training in Instructional Design
Graduate certificates related to instructional design certificates include:
- Human Performance Technology
- Human Resources Training and Development
- Corporate Training and Development
- Online Instructional Development
- Program Monitoring and Evaluation
- Online Teaching and Assessment
- Elearning Graduate Certificate
- Workplace Performance Improvement
Programs may focus on topics dealing with both theory and design of programs including methodology, techniques for aligning e-learning strategies with business strategies. Curriculum requirements may include taking classes such as:
- Instructional Design Theories and Models
- Foundations of Instructional Design
- Needs Assessment and Analysis of Instructional Programs
- Human Performance Technology
- Project Management in Instructional Development
- Designing Computer-Based Training (CBT)
- Instructional Strategies and Assessment Methods
- Multimedia Design
- e-Learning Development
- Assessment of Educational Technologies
Some program may require a capstone experience such as a multimedia project, research project or internship. The program may also be flexible to allow for electives, but could also be more structured for specific course sequencing.
Overall, graduate certificate in instructional design is designed for professionals who are working in K-12 education, post secondary education (colleges and universities) corporate training, professional development, as well as others who wish to transition into the realm of curriculum and instructional development or human performance technology.
Instructional Design and Related Programs
Online Learning at Concordia University-Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Methods & Curriculum
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Doctor of Education - Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment (K-12)
- Doctor of Education (EDD)
- M.S.Ed - Integrating Technology in the Classroom (Grades K-12)
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Technology Education (Master of Education) - Online
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!