Program requirements vary from program to program but the certificate is often offered colleges and departments that also offer a masters or PhD program in instructional design and related programs. Hence, the offering of courses would come from the department with possible courses outside of those departments depending on electives options and program structure, so as to provide a rounded program experience that is applicable to a workplace environment.
In some cases, graduate students pursue a certificate program along side a full masters or PhD degree. There are times when students may not be interested in earning a masters degree, for various reasons, and hence opt to pursue a certificate program instead. These reasons might include:
- One already holds masters or doctoral degree in a related, or completely different area
- One may have completed a degree a while back and decides to update their skills. For instance updating their technology skills
- Enhanced skills in the workplace
- Earning continuing education credits (CEUs)
- Taking courses that are specifically applied to one’s area of practice that may lead to professional growth
- Students may work towards a graduate certificate alongside pursuing a master’s or doctoral degree
- Enrolling in stand-alone graduate certificate programs for personal and professional development.
Some training and development organizations such as also offer certificate programs, which are typically offered over a few weeks (2-3 weeks intense face-to-face programs) and via online training programs. Organizations include:
ASTD – American Society for Training & Development – “The world’s largest association dedicated to the training and development profession.”
ISPI – International Society for Performance Improvement – “The leading international association dedicated to improving productivity and performance in the workplace.”
Typically a graduate certificate program may require students to take between 9 and 21 credit hours, with 12 and 15 credit hours being a more common requirement by most programs.
Entry requirements may include having a bachelors degree or graduate degree from an accredited program, work experience in related area. Test scores from the GRE may or may not be required, again depending on the program.
Courses and Training in Instructional Design
Graduate certificates related to instructional design certificates include:
- Human Performance Technology
- Human Resources Training and Development
- Corporate Training and Development
- Online Instructional Development
- Program Monitoring and Evaluation
- Online Teaching and Assessment
- Elearning Graduate Certificate
- Workplace Performance Improvement
Programs may focus on topics dealing with both theory and design of programs including methodology, techniques for aligning e-learning strategies with business strategies. Curriculum requirements may include taking classes such as:
- Instructional Design Theories and Models
- Foundations of Instructional Design
- Needs Assessment and Analysis of Instructional Programs
- Human Performance Technology
- Project Management in Instructional Development
- Designing Computer-Based Training (CBT)
- Instructional Strategies and Assessment Methods
- Multimedia Design
- e-Learning Development
- Assessment of Educational Technologies
Some program may require a capstone experience such as a multimedia project, research project or internship. The program may also be flexible to allow for electives, but could also be more structured for specific course sequencing.
Overall, graduate certificate in instructional design is designed for professionals who are working in K-12 education, post secondary education (colleges and universities) corporate training, professional development, as well as others who wish to transition into the realm of curriculum and instructional development or human performance technology.
Instructional Design and Related Programs
- Post brings 127+ years of campus success to flexible online degrees in Education
- 100% online with degrees at all levels
- Connect with other professionals in education around the world and across industries
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- Master of Education in Instructional Design & Technology
- Master of Education
- Master of Education / Online Teaching
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MED: Higher Education: Instructional Design and Technology
- MED: Curriculum and Instruction: General Education
- MED: Curriculum and Instruction: Elementary Education
- And more...
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Methods & Curriculum
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- And more...
- Prepare for a career of learning, leading and serving with an online degree from GCU's College of Education!
- Engage, instruct and inspire students of all ages with one of GCU's many degree focuses.
- Offering initial teacher preparation options for bachelor's and master's in education.
- Take advantage of the small class sizes in both our online and campus colleges.
- For over 60 years, GCU has proudly maintained its rich heritage as a prestigious teaching college.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (NITL)
- Instructional Design & Technology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MS in Education in Instructional Technology - Adult Learning - Organizations
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!