Program requirements vary from program to program but the certificate is often offered colleges and departments that also offer a masters or PhD program in instructional design and related programs. Hence, the offering of courses would come from the department with possible courses outside of those departments depending on electives options and program structure, so as to provide a rounded program experience that is applicable to a workplace environment.
In some cases, graduate students pursue a certificate program along side a full masters or PhD degree. There are times when students may not be interested in earning a masters degree, for various reasons, and hence opt to pursue a certificate program instead. These reasons might include:
- One already holds masters or doctoral degree in a related, or completely different area
- One may have completed a degree a while back and decides to update their skills. For instance updating their technology skills
- Enhanced skills in the workplace
- Earning continuing education credits (CEUs)
- Taking courses that are specifically applied to one’s area of practice that may lead to professional growth
- Students may work towards a graduate certificate alongside pursuing a master’s or doctoral degree
- Enrolling in stand-alone graduate certificate programs for personal and professional development.
Some training and development organizations such as also offer certificate programs, which are typically offered over a few weeks (2-3 weeks intense face-to-face programs) and via online training programs. Organizations include:
ASTD – American Society for Training & Development – “The world’s largest association dedicated to the training and development profession.”
ISPI – International Society for Performance Improvement – “The leading international association dedicated to improving productivity and performance in the workplace.”
Typically a graduate certificate program may require students to take between 9 and 21 credit hours, with 12 and 15 credit hours being a more common requirement by most programs.
Entry requirements may include having a bachelors degree or graduate degree from an accredited program, work experience in related area. Test scores from the GRE may or may not be required, again depending on the program.
Courses and Training in Instructional Design
Graduate certificates related to instructional design certificates include:
- Human Performance Technology
- Human Resources Training and Development
- Corporate Training and Development
- Online Instructional Development
- Program Monitoring and Evaluation
- Online Teaching and Assessment
- Elearning Graduate Certificate
- Workplace Performance Improvement
Programs may focus on topics dealing with both theory and design of programs including methodology, techniques for aligning e-learning strategies with business strategies. Curriculum requirements may include taking classes such as:
- Instructional Design Theories and Models
- Foundations of Instructional Design
- Needs Assessment and Analysis of Instructional Programs
- Human Performance Technology
- Project Management in Instructional Development
- Designing Computer-Based Training (CBT)
- Instructional Strategies and Assessment Methods
- Multimedia Design
- e-Learning Development
- Assessment of Educational Technologies
Some program may require a capstone experience such as a multimedia project, research project or internship. The program may also be flexible to allow for electives, but could also be more structured for specific course sequencing.
Overall, graduate certificate in instructional design is designed for professionals who are working in K-12 education, post secondary education (colleges and universities) corporate training, professional development, as well as others who wish to transition into the realm of curriculum and instructional development or human performance technology.
Instructional Design and Related Programs
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Instructional Design & Technology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- M. Ed. in Teaching & Learning in Education Technology
- M.Ed. - Teaching and Learning
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- MS in Instructional Technology (K-12)
- MS in Instructional Design and Technology - Adults
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Technology Education (Master of Education) - Online
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Curriculum and Teaching - Master of Education
- Curriculum and Teaching - Doctor of Education
- Curriculum and Teaching - PhD in Education
- And more...
- M.Ed. Curr & Ins - Dyslexia Studies & LBLD
- M.Ed. Curriculum Instr - Technology
- M.Ed. Curriculum Instr - Ed Leadership
- And more...