Program requirements vary from program to program but the certificate is often offered colleges and departments that also offer a masters or PhD program in instructional design and related programs. Hence, the offering of courses would come from the department with possible courses outside of those departments depending on electives options and program structure, so as to provide a rounded program experience that is applicable to a workplace environment.
In some cases, graduate students pursue a certificate program along side a full masters or PhD degree. There are times when students may not be interested in earning a masters degree, for various reasons, and hence opt to pursue a certificate program instead. These reasons might include:
- One already holds masters or doctoral degree in a related, or completely different area
- One may have completed a degree a while back and decides to update their skills. For instance updating their technology skills
- Enhanced skills in the workplace
- Earning continuing education credits (CEUs)
- Taking courses that are specifically applied to one’s area of practice that may lead to professional growth
- Students may work towards a graduate certificate alongside pursuing a master’s or doctoral degree
- Enrolling in stand-alone graduate certificate programs for personal and professional development.
Some training and development organizations such as also offer certificate programs, which are typically offered over a few weeks (2-3 weeks intense face-to-face programs) and via online training programs. Organizations include:
ASTD – American Society for Training & Development – “The world’s largest association dedicated to the training and development profession.”
ISPI – International Society for Performance Improvement – “The leading international association dedicated to improving productivity and performance in the workplace.”
Typically a graduate certificate program may require students to take between 9 and 21 credit hours, with 12 and 15 credit hours being a more common requirement by most programs.
Entry requirements may include having a bachelors degree or graduate degree from an accredited program, work experience in related area. Test scores from the GRE may or may not be required, again depending on the program.
Courses and Training in Instructional Design
Graduate certificates related to instructional design certificates include:
- Human Performance Technology
- Human Resources Training and Development
- Corporate Training and Development
- Online Instructional Development
- Program Monitoring and Evaluation
- Online Teaching and Assessment
- Elearning Graduate Certificate
- Workplace Performance Improvement
Programs may focus on topics dealing with both theory and design of programs including methodology, techniques for aligning e-learning strategies with business strategies. Curriculum requirements may include taking classes such as:
- Instructional Design Theories and Models
- Foundations of Instructional Design
- Needs Assessment and Analysis of Instructional Programs
- Human Performance Technology
- Project Management in Instructional Development
- Designing Computer-Based Training (CBT)
- Instructional Strategies and Assessment Methods
- Multimedia Design
- e-Learning Development
- Assessment of Educational Technologies
Some program may require a capstone experience such as a multimedia project, research project or internship. The program may also be flexible to allow for electives, but could also be more structured for specific course sequencing.
Overall, graduate certificate in instructional design is designed for professionals who are working in K-12 education, post secondary education (colleges and universities) corporate training, professional development, as well as others who wish to transition into the realm of curriculum and instructional development or human performance technology.
Instructional Design and Related Programs
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Curriculum and Teaching - Master of Education
- Doctor of Philosophy in Instructional Design
- Instructional Leadership - Doctor of Education
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MED: Higher Education: Instructional Design and Technology
- DMN: Expository Preaching and Teaching
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Methods & Curriculum
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- And more...
EWU—a regional, comprehensive public university located in Cheney, Washington—is a driving force for the culture, economy and vitality of the Inland Northwest region. A focus on personal attention, faculty excellence, and community collaboration allows EWU to accomplish its mission for preparing well-rounded students to hit the ground running in their chosen career fields.
- M.Ed. Curriculum & Instruction
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals.
Keiser University is a private, not-for-profit university.
- Master of Science in Education, Teaching and Learning
The oldest university in the state of Mississippi, MC seeks to lift up the teachings of Jesus Christ in a premier academic environment at an affordable price. Our aim is to infuse Christ into every aspect of our culture – in the classroom, throughout campus life, and in the hearts of our students. Our online programs provide working adults the flexibility and opportunity they need to further their career. Life can be hectic, especially when challenging personal commitments with work and family arise. Simply said, many adults need a full-time online program in order for them to reach their academic goals.
- Master of Education in Curriculum & Instruction Online
At Arkansas State, we produce more than graduates-we combine the theory with the practice to create innovators and leaders of tomorrow.
With 11 colleges representing all major academic disciplines, a student population of more than 14,000 and 700 faculty, Arkansas State is a global center of learning for some of the most important emerging technologies and new sciences shaping the future of our world.
- Master of Science in Education in Gifted, Talented, and Creative
- Master of Science in Education in Curriculum & Instruction
- Master of Science in Education in Educational Theory & Practice
LSU Shreveport is a proud member of the acclaimed LSU University System. With LSUS, you can find the graduate program that fits your lifestyle and your career goals. You can open the door to new career opportunities without putting your life on hold.
Top Reasons to Enroll:
- A degree earned from LSUS carries with it the stellar reputation of the LSU University System at a fraction of the cost of comparable programs.
- Accelerated program that can be completed in as little as 12 months
- Ability to customize your MBA to your career goals
- Courses are taught by the same distinguished on-campus faculty
- M. Ed. General Online