Curriculum and instruction education degree programs lead to various specializations in content areas like language arts, social studies, mathematics, and science education. These include instructional design, instruction and assessment, curriculum design, field-based education, curriculum studies, educational technology, teacher education and K-12 education. Curriculum and instruction masters programs are an important component of educational development, especially in the K-12 teaching and learning environment. Many schools and departments of education hire curriculum designers to oversee or write curricula. The growth in the field has been precipitated by federal and states requirements for public schools to meet academic standards. Further educational technology is used to enhance teaching tools, for example the Internet, CD-ROMs, multimedia and other e-tools. In addition, teachers are very active in sharing curriculum ideas via the Internet.
Curriculum and Instruction Education and Training
Curriculum designers and curriculum developers are responsible for developing instructional strategies. This requires knowledge and training in educational psychology, developmental psychology, curriculum development, assessment, testing, evaluation, measurements, and education administration. Graduate programs include the PhD in curriculum and instruction and masters in curriculum development.
Curriculum and instructional degree courses may also research design, evaluation techniques, teacher support, and observation and analysis of teaching methodology. Within most curriculum and instruction education programs, you can choose to specialize in particular area for example language and literacy education, science education, mathematics education, or social studies education.
In most states, curriculum developers are required to meet federal, state, and local curriculum standards, for example by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and the United States Department of Education. In addition, classroom teaching experience may be required.
Most school districts and institutions require, at a minimum, a master’s degree in curriculum design or a related area of study, especially for career advancement. However, some entry-level positions are available with a bachelor’s degree in curriculum and instruction at the assistantâ€™s level.
Curriculum and Instruction Careers
Curriculum designers and curriculum developers are responsible for training an organization or school to use technical in the classroom. Schools and institutions employ curriculum designers to write and oversee curricula in order to meet specified standards. They write unit plans, lesson plans, and syllabi, in addition to using instructional and learning theories to create curricula that are tailored to learner needs.
Curriculum developers may also be responsible for evaluating existing curricula and assessing learner performance. They also apply the educational research to instructional design when creating new teaching methods and learning strategies.
Curriculum specialists also develop procedures for teachers to applying the curriculum successfully and also review and recommend textbooks and other instructional material for use in the classroom. Specific tasks with many curriculum and instruction jobs include:
- Designing courses form campus and online and distance learning programs
- Training instructors. I.e. training-the-trainer
- Creating assessment methods and formats
- Evaluating instructional materials
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that kindergarten, middle school, elementary and secondary school teachers in public K-12 education made around $50,000-$55,000 in 2009. This is dependent on the grade level and subject area. Elementary and secondary school administrators, i.e. principals and assistant principals and school administrators, earned around $87,390.
Instructional coordinators made $61,270. A director of curriculum and instruction earns between $76,000 and $81,000 a year. The number of instructional coordinators is expected to grow by 23% between 2008 and 2018 according to the BLS, making curriculum and instruction education programs all the more important for those who wish to enter the field.
Education and Teaching Graduate Programs
- Education programs include BA in Education Studies, BA in Child Development, and MA in Education.
- Students can specialize in areas such as Education and Public Policy, Instructional Design, and Early Childhood Education.
- Courses cover concepts such as phonics, curriculum development, instruction for English language learners, and more.
- Flexible, online courses allow students to pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- BA/Education Studies
- MA/Education - No Specialization
- BA/Library Science and Media
- And more...
- Are you ready to advance or start your career inspiring minds and changing lives? Apply to join GCU's prestigious teaching community.
- GCU recognizes the diverse needs in education and creates meaningful experiences through all bachelor's and master's degree programs.
- Traditional college or online programs, GCU offers education degrees for a variety of learning needs – take your pick!
- Earn your master's or bachelor's degree online, on-campus or take individual courses for specific studies.
- Join the GCU heritage and take advantage of the opportunity to engage, instruct and inspire.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.S. in Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Special Education
- B.S. in Early Childhood
- And more...
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Administration
- And more...
- 100% Online Education Degrees - Ashford University
- Break new ground in your education career with your BA or MA in Education.
- Bachelor’s, Master’s & Associate's programs to prepare you for the invaluable role of guiding learners or shaping educational initiatives.
- Help Build the World's Future. Apply today!
- Education, Technology & Online Learning - Bachelors
- Education, Technology & Online Learning - Masters
- Higher Education - Bachelors
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Secondary Education
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Elementary Education
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Higher Education Track
- Master of Education in Higher Education
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction
- Education Specialist: Curriculum and Instruction/Elementary Education
- Bachelor of Science: Elementary Education in Interdisciplinary Studies
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science: Education
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- E-Learning - EdS
- MEd - Reading Education
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- And more...