Curriculum and instruction education degree programs lead to various specializations in content areas like language arts, social studies, mathematics, and science education. These include instructional design, instruction and assessment, curriculum design, field-based education, curriculum studies, educational technology, teacher education and K-12 education. Curriculum and instruction masters programs are an important component of educational development, especially in the K-12 teaching and learning environment. Many schools and departments of education hire curriculum designers to oversee or write curricula. The growth in the field has been precipitated by federal and states requirements for public schools to meet academic standards. Further educational technology is used to enhance teaching tools, for example the Internet, CD-ROMs, multimedia and other e-tools. In addition, teachers are very active in sharing curriculum ideas via the Internet.
Curriculum and Instruction Education and Training
Curriculum designers and curriculum developers are responsible for developing instructional strategies. This requires knowledge and training in educational psychology, developmental psychology, curriculum development, assessment, testing, evaluation, measurements, and education administration. Graduate programs include the PhD in curriculum and instruction and masters in curriculum development.
Curriculum and instructional degree courses may also research design, evaluation techniques, teacher support, and observation and analysis of teaching methodology. Within most curriculum and instruction education programs, you can choose to specialize in particular area for example language and literacy education, science education, mathematics education, or social studies education.
In most states, curriculum developers are required to meet federal, state, and local curriculum standards, for example by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and the United States Department of Education. In addition, classroom teaching experience may be required.
Most school districts and institutions require, at a minimum, a master’s degree in curriculum design or a related area of study, especially for career advancement. However, some entry-level positions are available with a bachelor’s degree in curriculum and instruction at the assistantâ€™s level.
Curriculum and Instruction Careers
Curriculum designers and curriculum developers are responsible for training an organization or school to use technical in the classroom. Schools and institutions employ curriculum designers to write and oversee curricula in order to meet specified standards. They write unit plans, lesson plans, and syllabi, in addition to using instructional and learning theories to create curricula that are tailored to learner needs.
Curriculum developers may also be responsible for evaluating existing curricula and assessing learner performance. They also apply the educational research to instructional design when creating new teaching methods and learning strategies.
Curriculum specialists also develop procedures for teachers to applying the curriculum successfully and also review and recommend textbooks and other instructional material for use in the classroom. Specific tasks with many curriculum and instruction jobs include:
- Designing courses form campus and online and distance learning programs
- Training instructors. I.e. training-the-trainer
- Creating assessment methods and formats
- Evaluating instructional materials
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that kindergarten, middle school, elementary and secondary school teachers in public K-12 education made around $50,000-$55,000 in 2009. This is dependent on the grade level and subject area. Elementary and secondary school administrators, i.e. principals and assistant principals and school administrators, earned around $87,390.
Instructional coordinators made $61,270. A director of curriculum and instruction earns between $76,000 and $81,000 a year. The number of instructional coordinators is expected to grow by 23% between 2008 and 2018 according to the BLS, making curriculum and instruction education programs all the more important for those who wish to enter the field.
Education and Teaching Graduate Programs
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Early Childhood Studies - Teaching Adults in the Early Childhood Field
- Doctor of Education - Early Childhood Education
- M.S. in Early Childhood Studies - Early Childhood Public Policy and Advocacy
- And more...
- Are you ready to advance or start your career inspiring minds and changing lives? Apply to join GCU's prestigious teaching community.
- GCU recognizes the diverse needs in education and creates meaningful experiences through all bachelor's and master's degree programs.
- Traditional college or online programs, GCU offers education degrees for a variety of learning needs – take your pick!
- Earn your master's or bachelor's degree online, on-campus or take individual courses for specific studies.
- Join the GCU heritage and take advantage of the opportunity to engage, instruct and inspire.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.S. in Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Special Education
- B.S. in Early Childhood
- And more...
Building a better future starts in the classroom. The online master’s degree programs from American University’s School of Education are designed to prepare you to teach the next generation of difference makers.
- Masters in Teaching
- Masters in Education Policy & Leadership
For nearly a century, Columbia International University has educated people from a biblical worldview to impact the nations with the message of Christ. Today we continue that effort, offering 21 degree programs for residential undergraduate students, as well as graduate and seminary programs, professional certificates, and convenient online programs for working adults.
- Master of Education (Instruction & Learning)
- Ph.D. in Educational Leadership
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- E-Learning - EdS
- Curriculum and Teaching - MAT
- MEd - Reading Education
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction
- Education Specialist: Curriculum and Instruction/Elementary Education
- Bachelor of Science: Elementary Education in Interdisciplinary Studies
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!