Curriculum and instruction education degree programs lead to various specializations in content areas like language arts, social studies, mathematics, and science education. These include instructional design, instruction and assessment, curriculum design, field-based education, curriculum studies, educational technology, teacher education and K-12 education. Curriculum and instruction masters programs are an important component of educational development, especially in the K-12 teaching and learning environment. Many schools and departments of education hire curriculum designers to oversee or write curricula. The growth in the field has been precipitated by federal and states requirements for public schools to meet academic standards. Further educational technology is used to enhance teaching tools, for example the Internet, CD-ROMs, multimedia and other e-tools. In addition, teachers are very active in sharing curriculum ideas via the Internet.
Curriculum and Instruction Education and Training
Curriculum designers and curriculum developers are responsible for developing instructional strategies. This requires knowledge and training in educational psychology, developmental psychology, curriculum development, assessment, testing, evaluation, measurements, and education administration. Graduate programs include the PhD in curriculum and instruction and masters in curriculum development.
Curriculum and instructional degree courses may also research design, evaluation techniques, teacher support, and observation and analysis of teaching methodology. Within most curriculum and instruction education programs, you can choose to specialize in particular area for example language and literacy education, science education, mathematics education, or social studies education.
In most states, curriculum developers are required to meet federal, state, and local curriculum standards, for example by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and the United States Department of Education. In addition, classroom teaching experience may be required.
Most school districts and institutions require, at a minimum, a master’s degree in curriculum design or a related area of study, especially for career advancement. However, some entry-level positions are available with a bachelor’s degree in curriculum and instruction at the assistantâ€™s level.
Curriculum and Instruction Careers
Curriculum designers and curriculum developers are responsible for training an organization or school to use technical in the classroom. Schools and institutions employ curriculum designers to write and oversee curricula in order to meet specified standards. They write unit plans, lesson plans, and syllabi, in addition to using instructional and learning theories to create curricula that are tailored to learner needs.
Curriculum developers may also be responsible for evaluating existing curricula and assessing learner performance. They also apply the educational research to instructional design when creating new teaching methods and learning strategies.
Curriculum specialists also develop procedures for teachers to applying the curriculum successfully and also review and recommend textbooks and other instructional material for use in the classroom. Specific tasks with many curriculum and instruction jobs include:
- Designing courses form campus and online and distance learning programs
- Training instructors. I.e. training-the-trainer
- Creating assessment methods and formats
- Evaluating instructional materials
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that kindergarten, middle school, elementary and secondary school teachers in public K-12 education made around $50,000-$55,000 in 2009. This is dependent on the grade level and subject area. Elementary and secondary school administrators, i.e. principals and assistant principals and school administrators, earned around $87,390.
Instructional coordinators made $61,270. A director of curriculum and instruction earns between $76,000 and $81,000 a year. The number of instructional coordinators is expected to grow by 23% between 2008 and 2018 according to the BLS, making curriculum and instruction education programs all the more important for those who wish to enter the field.
Education and Teaching Graduate Programs
- Post brings 127+ years of campus success to flexible online degrees in Education
- 100% online with degrees at all levels
- Connect with other professionals in education around the world and across industries
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- Master of Education - TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
- B.S. in Child Studies
- Make the impact through teaching you always knew you could at Keiser University
- Find degree programs in Education including Elementary Education and Leadership
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked as a top school in the nation by the Military Times Best for Vets Colleges
- Some degrees are taught in multiple languages including Spanish
- Master of Science in Education
- Master of Science in Education, Online Teaching and Learning
- PhD in Educational Leadership
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Doctor of Education (EDD)
- M.S. in Early Childhood Studies - Teaching Adults in the Early Childhood Field
- Doctor of Education - Early Childhood Education
- And more...
- Personalized learning that’s guided by industry trends
- Technology-driven approach designed to help you reach your potential
- Access to real-world learning and strong thought leadership
- Convenient ways to complete your degree even with a busy schedule
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Curriculum & Instruction: Early Childhood Education
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MED: Curriculum and Instruction: General Education
- MED: Curriculum and Instruction: Elementary Education
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- E-Learning - EdS
- MEd - Reading Education
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- And more...
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Education in Higher Education
For nearly a century, Columbia International University has educated people from a biblical worldview to impact the nations with the message of Christ. Today we continue that effort, offering 21 degree programs for residential undergraduate students, as well as graduate and seminary programs, professional certificates, and convenient online programs for working adults.
- Master of Education (Instruction & Learning)
- Ph.D. in Educational Leadership