The education specialist degree program (Ed. S. degree program) in the United States is targeted for teachers, administrators, supervisors, and counselors in K-12 schools (i.e. elementary and secondary schools). The work of an educator with an online educational specialist degree, upon attaining Ed. s. training includes working as a school psychologist or school counselor, and working in school leadership and educational leadership. Educational specialist also work as teaching specialists or teacher specialist where they work in the capacity of instructing other teachers in their teaching and curriculum development practice. Other educators with EdS degrees work as instructors at two-year colleges and junior colleges. Other areas of practice with a educational specialist degree are educational technology and educational leadership. This degree often acts as a bridge between a masters degree and an education doctorate degree, and some PhD programs will allow students to transfer a number of credits.
Education Specialist Training
The EdS. program is graduate education degree program that is often an intermediate degree between a master’s degree in education and a doctorate in education (EdD) or a doctor of philosophy in education (PhD). The degree is ideal for experienced educators who want advanced certification and career advancement beyond the masters degree and perhaps transition into a doctoral program in a related area. Common areas in the education specialist degree are:
- School psychology and school psychology
- Curriculum and instruction
- Special education
- Instructional technology
To graduate with an EdS degree you need anywhere from 30 to 45 credit hours depending on the college or university you enroll in, whether it is an online university or campus program. The important thing is to ensure that it is an accredited online program or traditional campus.
As an instructional education specialist, you may take educational specialist courses in:
- Advanced Teaching and Instructional Strategies
- Assessment and Evaluation
- School Reform and Improvement
- Leadership for Teachers
- Educational Research Methods
In addition, research project may be required. Students graduating from a campus or education specialist degree program can expect to gain advanced knowledge and skills in:
- Philosophies of teaching
- Advanced instruction principles
- Research practices and utilization
- Pedagogical content knowledge
- and classroom management
Education Specialist Careers
An educational specialist degree falls between a masters and PhD or EdD degree. Educators and teachers who choose an EdS degree program usually pursue leadership positions at K-12 schools or district level jobs. Many students continue on to the PhD or EdD, as many courses are transferable. As an education specialist, you will gain advanced skills in teaching, research, educational policy and administration, as well as instructional technology.
The EdS is an option for students wishing to specialize in a program area. In many states the degree leads to initial principal or administrator licensure in most states. Those who chose to pursue an EdS do so to meet state and professional requirements for career advancement in educational administration and leadership and advanced curriculum and instruction in various subject areas.
Some professionals with an EdS work in administration at the school district level or state level where they plan, and monitor instruction, budgets, student activities, curriculum changes, policy reports and other duties. The job opportunities for teachers is secondary and high school teachers, and in particular in subjects like mathematics and science as well as those who specialize in special education is an important area.
Education and Teaching Graduate Programs
- Ranked among the top 20 Regional Universities in the West in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Listed as one of America’s Best Colleges by Forbes Magazine in 2014.
- More than 97% of tenure-track faculty holds a terminal degree in their field.
- Student to faculty ratio of 15:1, and 47.5% of classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Higher Education Track
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Conflict Resolution Track
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Special Education
- Ed. S. in K-12 Leadership
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- E-Learning - EdS
- International Education - EdS
- And more...
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- Educational Administration (EDD)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction - Educational Technology Leadership
- Ed.D. - Professional Leadership, Inquiry, and Transformation
- And more...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- PhD in Educational Leadership