The education specialist degree program (Ed. S. degree program) in the United States is targeted for teachers, administrators, supervisors, and counselors in K-12 schools (i.e. elementary and secondary schools). The work of an educator with an online educational specialist degree, upon attaining Ed. s. training includes working as a school psychologist or school counselor, and working in school leadership and educational leadership. Educational specialist also work as teaching specialists or teacher specialist where they work in the capacity of instructing other teachers in their teaching and curriculum development practice. Other educators with EdS degrees work as instructors at two-year colleges and junior colleges. Other areas of practice with a educational specialist degree are educational technology and educational leadership. This degree often acts as a bridge between a masters degree and an education doctorate degree, and some PhD programs will allow students to transfer a number of credits.
Education Specialist Training
The EdS. program is graduate education degree program that is often an intermediate degree between a master’s degree in education and a doctorate in education (EdD) or a doctor of philosophy in education (PhD). The degree is ideal for experienced educators who want advanced certification and career advancement beyond the masters degree and perhaps transition into a doctoral program in a related area. Common areas in the education specialist degree are:
- School psychology and school psychology
- Curriculum and instruction
- Special education
- Instructional technology
To graduate with an EdS degree you need anywhere from 30 to 45 credit hours depending on the college or university you enroll in, whether it is an online university or campus program. The important thing is to ensure that it is an accredited online program or traditional campus.
As an instructional education specialist, you may take educational specialist courses in:
- Advanced Teaching and Instructional Strategies
- Assessment and Evaluation
- School Reform and Improvement
- Leadership for Teachers
- Educational Research Methods
In addition, research project may be required. Students graduating from a campus or education specialist degree program can expect to gain advanced knowledge and skills in:
- Philosophies of teaching
- Advanced instruction principles
- Research practices and utilization
- Pedagogical content knowledge
- and classroom management
Education Specialist Careers
An educational specialist degree falls between a masters and PhD or EdD degree. Educators and teachers who choose an EdS degree program usually pursue leadership positions at K-12 schools or district level jobs. Many students continue on to the PhD or EdD, as many courses are transferable. As an education specialist, you will gain advanced skills in teaching, research, educational policy and administration, as well as instructional technology.
The EdS is an option for students wishing to specialize in a program area. In many states the degree leads to initial principal or administrator licensure in most states. Those who chose to pursue an EdS do so to meet state and professional requirements for career advancement in educational administration and leadership and advanced curriculum and instruction in various subject areas.
Some professionals with an EdS work in administration at the school district level or state level where they plan, and monitor instruction, budgets, student activities, curriculum changes, policy reports and other duties. The job opportunities for teachers is secondary and high school teachers, and in particular in subjects like mathematics and science as well as those who specialize in special education is an important area.
Education and Teaching Graduate Programs
- Personalized learning that’s guided by industry trends
- Technology-driven approach designed to help you reach your potential
- Access to real-world learning and strong thought leadership
- Convenient ways to complete your degree even with a busy schedule
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
- Walden’s MS in Early Childhood Studies program delivered through Tempo Learning® is designed to help you promote positive learning experiences for all children.
- Our program can help you gain the knowledge and professional competencies that prepare you for leadership roles, in and out of the classroom.
- Improve your ability to work with children in diverse learning environments by critically examining trends, applying research to relevant problems, and making informed decisions.
- Our custom-paced, competency-based education option for working professionals means that your progress is measured by the demonstration of skills, abilities & knowledge in a particular area of study.
- Our competency-based assessments allow you to demonstrate what you know about real-life and work-applicable situations—and then move on to the things you still need to learn.
- Doctor of Education (EDD)
- Doctor of Education - Early Childhood Education
- PhD in Education - Early Childhood Special Education
- And more...
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Advance to the next level of your academic career - earn your Master's in Education online with GCU.
- Earn a master's in educational administration, elementary education, autism spectrum disorders and more – Take your pick!
- Integrate philosophy with real-world knowledge to implement strategies that provide critical thinking.
- The dedication to your success extends beyond the classroom and into a professional educational setting.
- Incorporate modern pedagogy through a student-driven learning concept and technology.
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Special Education
- Ed. S. in K-12 Leadership
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- E-Learning - EdS
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- International Education - EdS
- And more...
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- Administrative Leadership (EDD)
- Transformational Leadership (EDD)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction - Educational Technology Leadership
- And more...
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Education in Higher Education
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Leadership Coaching and Mentoring
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Coaching and Mentoring
- Take your interest in master courses further and make a game changing career move.
- GradSchools will help match you to the right program that aligns with your education goals and busy schedule
- Explore Master, Doctoral and PhD Degrees in Education Leadership, Early Childhood Education, and MORE
- Ready for your next step? Let GradSchools match you with programs for FREE!