The education specialist degree program (Ed. S. degree program) in the United States is targeted for teachers, administrators, supervisors, and counselors in K-12 schools (i.e. elementary and secondary schools). The work of an educator with an online educational specialist degree, upon attaining Ed. s. training includes working as a school psychologist or school counselor, and working in school leadership and educational leadership. Educational specialist also work as teaching specialists or teacher specialist where they work in the capacity of instructing other teachers in their teaching and curriculum development practice. Other educators with EdS degrees work as instructors at two-year colleges and junior colleges. Other areas of practice with a educational specialist degree are educational technology and educational leadership. This degree often acts as a bridge between a masters degree and an education doctorate degree, and some PhD programs will allow students to transfer a number of credits.
Education Specialist Training
The EdS. program is graduate education degree program that is often an intermediate degree between a master’s degree in education and a doctorate in education (EdD) or a doctor of philosophy in education (PhD). The degree is ideal for experienced educators who want advanced certification and career advancement beyond the masters degree and perhaps transition into a doctoral program in a related area. Common areas in the education specialist degree are:
- School psychology and school psychology
- Curriculum and instruction
- Special education
- Instructional technology
To graduate with an EdS degree you need anywhere from 30 to 45 credit hours depending on the college or university you enroll in, whether it is an online university or campus program. The important thing is to ensure that it is an accredited online program or traditional campus.
As an instructional education specialist, you may take educational specialist courses in:
- Advanced Teaching and Instructional Strategies
- Assessment and Evaluation
- School Reform and Improvement
- Leadership for Teachers
- Educational Research Methods
In addition, research project may be required. Students graduating from a campus or education specialist degree program can expect to gain advanced knowledge and skills in:
- Philosophies of teaching
- Advanced instruction principles
- Research practices and utilization
- Pedagogical content knowledge
- and classroom management
Education Specialist Careers
An educational specialist degree falls between a masters and PhD or EdD degree. Educators and teachers who choose an EdS degree program usually pursue leadership positions at K-12 schools or district level jobs. Many students continue on to the PhD or EdD, as many courses are transferable. As an education specialist, you will gain advanced skills in teaching, research, educational policy and administration, as well as instructional technology.
The EdS is an option for students wishing to specialize in a program area. In many states the degree leads to initial principal or administrator licensure in most states. Those who chose to pursue an EdS do so to meet state and professional requirements for career advancement in educational administration and leadership and advanced curriculum and instruction in various subject areas.
Some professionals with an EdS work in administration at the school district level or state level where they plan, and monitor instruction, budgets, student activities, curriculum changes, policy reports and other duties. The job opportunities for teachers is secondary and high school teachers, and in particular in subjects like mathematics and science as well as those who specialize in special education is an important area.
Education and Teaching Graduate Programs
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction/Special Education
- Education Specialist: Curriculum and Instruction/Middle-Grades Education
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction/Middle-Grades Education
- And more...
- Ranked among the top 20 Regional Universities in the West in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Listed as one of America’s Best Colleges by Forbes Magazine in 2014.
- More than 97% of tenure-track faculty holds a terminal degree in their field.
- Student to faculty ratio of 15:1, and 47.5% of classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Higher Education Track
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Conflict Resolution Track
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Special Education
- Ed. S. in K-12 Leadership
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- Educational Administration (EDD)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction - Educational Technology Leadership
- Ed.D. - Professional Leadership, Inquiry, and Transformation
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!