The online information security PhD programs lead to careers related to cyber security, information assurance, and other areas in information technology integrity. Students in some cases decide to further their education in the fields they have mastered. This is normally so as to increase their expertise in that field, train other students in the field or become better at their professions. To do this the students might designate to concentrate in their fields of study in the doctoral degree title. An example of this is when one pursues an information security PhD. This program normally focuses on advanced research in data system securities which are nowadays an area of great concern to many corporations. This is the case because there is a rise in attacks on systems therefore the need for professional security personnel. Through their expertise and know how, people who have a PhD in this field can track, stop and control security breaches in electronic systems.
Information Security Education and Training
The students are normally taught to prevent security breaches. This is done through studying topics such as risk management, information confidentiality, governance and integrity. A lot of research is involved in these programs which help the students stay up to date with the most recent attacks. They also learn how to develop new software and technology to combat these attacks.
This program takes three to five years to complete. It comprises of original research that is supervised by an advisory committee. Then at the end of the second or third year, the student is required to sit a comprehensive exam. This normally ensures that the students have enough time to do their research and that they complete the course when fully competent.
Students who want to pursue this program should meet several requirements. They include holding a bachelors and masters degree. Some programs offer a combined masters-to-PhD programs. Applicants also need professional experience in the field. Other general requirements are letters of recommendation, GRE test scores, personal statement and resume.
While undertaking the information security PhD program the student follows a certain coursework which mostly involves research. In addition, there must be laboratory work which every student must participate. The courses taken include database systems, software testing, applied statistics, software construction and network security.
Other information security PhD courses may include: Algorithms, Software Modeling, Software Construction, Operating Systems, Applied Probability, Database Systems, Network Security, Security Protocol Analysis, Software Testing, Applied Statistics, Security Audit and Compliance Testing, and others. This is in addition to research methods and design courses, and completion of comprehensive exams and completing a dissertation.
Information Security Careers
After completion of the information security PhD many of the graduates usually pursue leadership positions in the IT sector. These are some of the careers they might pursue: Consultants, professors, security consultant, security director, senior government security personnel, information security crime investigator, and senior security professional among many others. When in these positions of leadership they can manage, control and train other personnel on how to ensure that their systems are secure.
Nowadays, we cannot do without information assurance professionals. Our security systems face threats everyday from hackers, viruses and other reasons. They counter attack malicious programmers and safeguard data and information from unauthorized access which ensures that every computer user has their confidential information kept to themselves. That is why the job market for these professionals is on a current high.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
IT professionals who have undertaken this course normally receive a salary ranging between $30,000.00 to $150,000.00 per year. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) employment in computer and information science specialization is projected to grow by around 24% between 2008-2018.
Computer and information scientists specializing in research earned a median income of $101,570 in 2009. This mostly depends on qualifications, experience, and location. There are various universities worldwide that provide information security courses. Therefore if you want to start the program, you need to contact the universities and as long as you have met the requirements, and the enroll in the information security PhD and pursue your dream.
Computer and Information Technology Doctoral Programs
- Online Master’s in IT was ranked among the Best Online Programs in 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Offers several bachelor’s degree programs, including Cyber Security, Information Systems Management, and Information Technology
- Students study core concepts such as programming, system administration, security, and databases
- Concentrations in Information Technology include IT Security, Network Management, Web Development, and more
- Doctor of Computer Science (Executive Format)
- Doctor of Computer Science - Big Data Analytics (Executive Format)
- Doctor of Computer Science - Information Assurance (Executive Format)
- And more...
- Flexible, 100% online programs offered include Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Master of Science in Cybersecurity Management, and more.
- Courses designed to keep students updated on the constantly changing world of information technology.
- Career-focused programs taught by experienced professionals help students develop real-world programming skills.
- MS in Information Technology
- MS in Information Technology - Project Management
- MS in Information Technology - Information Security and Assurance
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Master of Science in Computer Science
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right IT, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Software and Application Development, Web Design or Technology Management Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Information Technology Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect IT/Computer Science Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!