If you are looking for an information technology degree, it is important to decide on the direction you want your career to grow in, as there are many areas you can specialize in. There are many specialization that you can work toward. While some areas of computer science have seen decline, other areas in information technology have experienced steady growth, for example the area of computer support and information security (cyber security). Even with a degree in information technology, many employers may require specialized information technology certification. Listed here is a list of accredited programs that offer an information technology degree.
Information Technology Education and Training
Information technology is defined by the Information Technology Association of America (ITAA) as the “study, design, development, implementation, support or management of computer-based information systems, particularly software applications and computer hardware. It deals with the use of electronic computers and computer software to convert, store, protect, process, transmit, and securely retrieve information.”
Although there are standard required and prerequisites tat are necessary to the foundations and principles of information technology degree programs, many I. T. degree programs provide students with the flexibility to customize their information technology courses by selecting electives.
These courses may include: computer programming, network system design, information security, and computer network management. Information technology degree students learn problem-solving and troubleshooting skills that they can apply directly into the work environment, including hardware, software, and networking tools. Specific information technology classes vary by program but could include the following:
- Software Development
- Data Architecture
- Systems, Networks, and Communications
- Systems Development and Implementation
Information Technology Careers
Careers in information technology and information science include a variety of roles that are based on the level of education and specialization, as well as experience. This includes an information technology degree or related area. Examples include:
- Computer programming
- Software design
- Web design
- Technical writing
- Desktop and network support
- Network security
- Information security and assurance
Employment for information technology degree graduates is available in just about any industry you can think of, for example:
- Colleges and universities
- Banking and finance
- Logistics and supply chain management
- Computer systems design
- Software publishing
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that IT professionals with advanced campus or information technology degree as well as expertise in current software and hardware technologies, business, and communications skills have better career prospects and advancement opportunities.
Some industries for graduates with an information technology degree include computer manufacturing, natural gas distribution, and securities and commodity exchanges. Positions may include:
- Database administrators
- Network analyst
- Network administrator
- Computer support specialist
- Computer and Information Systems Manager
Information Technology Studies
Claremont Graduate University (CGU) has been awarding master’s and doctoral degrees for nearly 100 years. Through our new online learning format, CGU’s specialized master’s degree programs and world renowned faculty are now accessible to a broader community of students seeking a rigorous and relevant graduate degree.
- Masters of Science in Evaluation & Applied Research
- Master of Professional Studies in Information Technology Management
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Information Technology
- BS in Information Technology
- MS in Information Technology - Project Management
- And more...
- IT Support Specialist
- Information Technology Associate's Degree
- Web Development Programming Diploma Program
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Network Systems and Data Communications
- Massage Therapy
- Esthetics Technology
- Business Administration
- Allied Health Management
- Medical Clinical Assistant
- Veterinary Technician
- Dental Assisting
- Surgical Technology
- Medical Billing and Coding
- Criminal Justice
- IT Support Specialist
- IT Support Specialist
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- IT Management - Bachelor's
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
- Software Development - Bachelor's
Our mission is YOUR SUCCESS!
When you succeed, we succeed. That is why we provide high-quality, specialized career preparation for all our students. Our goal is to help you find your rewarding career.
Our Mission Statement:
To provide high-quality, specialized career preparation or enhancement to meet and cope with technological changes resulting in employment and career success.
- Information Technology Diploma
- Information Technology Associate Degree (AAS)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Master of Science in Technology and Innovation Management (MSTIM) IT Project Management
- Doctor of Philosophy in Technology and Innovation Management (PhD-TIM) - IT Project Management
- And more...