If you are looking for an information technology degree, it is important to decide on the direction you want your career to grow in, as there are many areas you can specialize in. There are many specialization that you can work toward. While some areas of computer science have seen decline, other areas in information technology have experienced steady growth, for example the area of computer support and information security (cyber security). Even with a degree in information technology, many employers may require specialized information technology certification. Listed here is a list of accredited programs that offer an information technology degree.
Information Technology Education and Training
Information technology is defined by the Information Technology Association of America (ITAA) as the “study, design, development, implementation, support or management of computer-based information systems, particularly software applications and computer hardware. It deals with the use of electronic computers and computer software to convert, store, protect, process, transmit, and securely retrieve information.”
Although there are standard required and prerequisites tat are necessary to the foundations and principles of information technology degree programs, many I. T. degree programs provide students with the flexibility to customize their information technology courses by selecting electives.
These courses may include: computer programming, network system design, information security, and computer network management. Information technology degree students learn problem-solving and troubleshooting skills that they can apply directly into the work environment, including hardware, software, and networking tools. Specific information technology classes vary by program but could include the following:
- Software Development
- Data Architecture
- Systems, Networks, and Communications
- Systems Development and Implementation
Information Technology Careers
Careers in information technology and information science include a variety of roles that are based on the level of education and specialization, as well as experience. This includes an information technology degree or related area. Examples include:
- Computer programming
- Software design
- Web design
- Technical writing
- Desktop and network support
- Network security
- Information security and assurance
Employment for information technology degree graduates is available in just about any industry you can think of, for example:
- Colleges and universities
- Banking and finance
- Logistics and supply chain management
- Computer systems design
- Software publishing
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that IT professionals with advanced campus or information technology degree as well as expertise in current software and hardware technologies, business, and communications skills have better career prospects and advancement opportunities.
Some industries for graduates with an information technology degree include computer manufacturing, natural gas distribution, and securities and commodity exchanges. Positions may include:
- Database administrators
- Network analyst
- Network administrator
- Computer support specialist
- Computer and Information Systems Manager
Information Technology Studies
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Information Technology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Science: Information Technology: Network Design & Security
- Bachelor of Science: Information Technology: Application and Database Development
- Bachelor of Science: Information Technology: Data Networking and Security
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Master of Science in Computer Science
- Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management Technology Management (Executive Format)
- Master of Science in Computer Science Software Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Software Systems Engineering
- And more...
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Health Information Technology
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- IT Management - Bachelor's
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
- Software Development - Bachelor's
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right IT, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Software and Application Development, Web Design or Technology Management Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Information Technology Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect IT/Computer Science Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
The Metropolitan Institute of Health and Technology (MIHT) is dedicated to educating men and women to serve with confidence in the health and technology industry. MIHT provides career training for students to move forward in their chosen field of study, changing their lives for the better. MIHT strives to provide quality education with affordable tuition. Our staff works to determine the best financial options for students on an individualized level.