If you are looking for an information technology degree, it is important to decide on the direction you want your career to grow in, as there are many areas you can specialize in. There are many specialization that you can work toward. While some areas of computer science have seen decline, other areas in information technology have experienced steady growth, for example the area of computer support and information security (cyber security). Even with a degree in information technology, many employers may require specialized information technology certification. Listed here is a list of accredited programs that offer an information technology degree.
Information Technology Education and Training
Information technology is defined by the Information Technology Association of America (ITAA) as the “study, design, development, implementation, support or management of computer-based information systems, particularly software applications and computer hardware. It deals with the use of electronic computers and computer software to convert, store, protect, process, transmit, and securely retrieve information.”
Although there are standard required and prerequisites tat are necessary to the foundations and principles of information technology degree programs, many I. T. degree programs provide students with the flexibility to customize their information technology courses by selecting electives.
These courses may include: computer programming, network system design, information security, and computer network management. Information technology degree students learn problem-solving and troubleshooting skills that they can apply directly into the work environment, including hardware, software, and networking tools. Specific information technology classes vary by program but could include the following:
- Software Development
- Data Architecture
- Systems, Networks, and Communications
- Systems Development and Implementation
Information Technology Careers
Careers in information technology and information science include a variety of roles that are based on the level of education and specialization, as well as experience. This includes an information technology degree or related area. Examples include:
- Computer programming
- Software design
- Web design
- Technical writing
- Desktop and network support
- Network security
- Information security and assurance
Employment for information technology degree graduates is available in just about any industry you can think of, for example:
- Colleges and universities
- Banking and finance
- Logistics and supply chain management
- Computer systems design
- Software publishing
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that IT professionals with advanced campus or information technology degree as well as expertise in current software and hardware technologies, business, and communications skills have better career prospects and advancement opportunities.
Some industries for graduates with an information technology degree include computer manufacturing, natural gas distribution, and securities and commodity exchanges. Positions may include:
- Database administrators
- Network analyst
- Network administrator
- Computer support specialist
- Computer and Information Systems Manager
Information Technology Studies
- Turn your love of technology into a career in a high-demand, fast-growing field! Why earn your tech degree from GCU?
- Since 1949, GCU has been a premier private Christian university in Arizona, helping students find their purpose and achieve their potential.
- Many graduate and undergraduate degree focuses such as: IT, cybersecurity, business analytics, IT management & more.
- Acquire skills for entry-level positions, learn new skills with the goal to re-career or develop a portfolio of projects to strengthen job candidacy.
- Courses are available online, evenings and on campus in Phoenix, Arizona. Talk to us to learn about financial aid, start dates and more!
- B.S. in Information Technology
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Information Technology
- AAS in Information Technology
- BS in Information Technology
- And more...
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Master of Science: Information Technology: Network Design & Security
- Bachelor of Science: Information Technology: Application and Database Development
- Bachelor of Science: Information Technology: Data Networking and Security
- And more...
- Online Master’s in IT was ranked among the Best Online Programs in 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Offers several bachelor’s degree programs, including Cyber Security, Information Systems Management, and Information Technology
- Students study core concepts such as programming, system administration, security, and databases
- Concentrations in Information Technology include IT Security, Network Management, Web Development, and more
- Doctor of Management Technology Management (Executive Format)
- Master of Science in Computer Science Software Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Software Systems Engineering
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor's (BIT) - Information Assurance and Security
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Master's (MIT) - IT Project Management
- And more...
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- IT Management - Bachelor's
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
- Software Development - Bachelor's
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- Master of Science in Applied Business Analytics
- MS Health Informatics
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Dedicated career services team that helps students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary
- Program Coordinators focus on improving program content and ensure that students have the resources they need
- Over 50 locations nationwide
- Join our next Open House on 10/21 (10/28 @ select locations)!
- Software Development for Creative Technologies (Bachelor of Science)
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Arts in Leadership Studies - Information Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Works closely with an advisory board from the medical community to ensure that their curriculum, equipment and instruction are current and relevant.
- Offers special tuition pricing for Veterans, Active Duty Military and spouses/qualifying dependents of all Active Duty, National Guard and Reserves.
- ABHES-accredited: An advantage upon graduation
- Short-term education: Programs range from 10 months to 2 years
- Blackboard Learn mobile allows students to complete assignments on the go.
- A.S. - Healthcare Information Technology