If you are looking for an information technology degree, it is important to decide on the direction you want your career to grow in, as there are many areas you can specialize in. There are many specialization that you can work toward. While some areas of computer science have seen decline, other areas in information technology have experienced steady growth, for example the area of computer support and information security (cyber security). Even with a degree in information technology, many employers may require specialized information technology certification. Listed here is a list of accredited programs that offer an information technology degree.
Information Technology Education and Training
Information technology is defined by the Information Technology Association of America (ITAA) as the “study, design, development, implementation, support or management of computer-based information systems, particularly software applications and computer hardware. It deals with the use of electronic computers and computer software to convert, store, protect, process, transmit, and securely retrieve information.”
Although there are standard required and prerequisites tat are necessary to the foundations and principles of information technology degree programs, many I. T. degree programs provide students with the flexibility to customize their information technology courses by selecting electives.
These courses may include: computer programming, network system design, information security, and computer network management. Information technology degree students learn problem-solving and troubleshooting skills that they can apply directly into the work environment, including hardware, software, and networking tools. Specific information technology classes vary by program but could include the following:
- Software Development
- Data Architecture
- Systems, Networks, and Communications
- Systems Development and Implementation
Information Technology Careers
Careers in information technology and information science include a variety of roles that are based on the level of education and specialization, as well as experience. This includes an information technology degree or related area. Examples include:
- Computer programming
- Software design
- Web design
- Technical writing
- Desktop and network support
- Network security
- Information security and assurance
Employment for information technology degree graduates is available in just about any industry you can think of, for example:
- Colleges and universities
- Banking and finance
- Logistics and supply chain management
- Computer systems design
- Software publishing
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that IT professionals with advanced campus or information technology degree as well as expertise in current software and hardware technologies, business, and communications skills have better career prospects and advancement opportunities.
Some industries for graduates with an information technology degree include computer manufacturing, natural gas distribution, and securities and commodity exchanges. Positions may include:
- Database administrators
- Network analyst
- Network administrator
- Computer support specialist
- Computer and Information Systems Manager
Information Technology Studies
- Turn your love of technology into a career in a high-demand, fast-growing field! Why earn your tech degree from GCU?
- Since 1949, GCU has been a premier private Christian university in Arizona, helping students find their purpose and achieve their potential.
- Many graduate and undergraduate degree focuses such as: IT, cybersecurity, business analytics, IT management & more.
- Acquire skills for entry-level positions, learn new skills with the goal to re-career or develop a portfolio of projects to strengthen job candidacy.
- Courses are available online, evenings and on campus in Phoenix, Arizona. Talk to us to learn about financial aid, start dates and more!
- B.S. in Information Technology
- Flexible, 100% online programs offered include Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Master of Science in Cybersecurity Management, and more.
- Courses designed to keep students updated on the constantly changing world of information technology.
- Career-focused programs taught by experienced professionals help students develop real-world programming skills.
- MS in Information Technology
- AAS in Information Technology
- BS in Information Technology
- And more...
- Bachelor’s and Master’s level programs in digital investigations, information assurance and security, project management, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) of the North Central Association (NCA).
- 8 out the top 20 employers of AIU graduates are Fortune 50 companies
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Bachelor's (BIT) - Information Assurance and Security
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Master's (MIT) - IT Project Management
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Technology Management (Executive Format)
- Master of Science in Computer Science Software Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Software Systems Engineering
- And more...
- Bachelor’s program options include Cybersecurity, Information Systems Technology, Computer Science, and more.
- A BAS in Information Systems Technology is also available for students who already hold an A.A.S degree.
- Regent University’s tech programs are designed to prepare students for careers in Software Development and Engineering, Computer Information Security, Network Administration, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Health Care degrees include BA in Health Care Administration, BS in Health Information Management, BS in Nursing (RN to BSN), and more.
- Coursework focuses on relevant topics in the health care field, such as administration, planning, and policy.
- Students can specialize in areas like Human Resource Management, Health Care Informatics Systems, and Long-Term Care Management.
- Online degree programs that can help students pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- B/S Health Information Management
- Become an accountant, credit analyst, auditor, tax examiner, and more with an undergraduate degree in accounting.
- Learn about accounting fundamentals, legal compliance and ethics, finance, marketing, leadership, economics, and quantitative decision making.
- Work in the environment that suits you best. The B.S. in Accounting program prepares students for accounting careers in private, public, not-for-profit, and government organizations.
- This program, along with other CSU-Global business degrees, is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Each of our courses is 100% online, with no fixed class times or locations. All you need is an internet connection. Wherever you are, you’re already on campus.
- Our programs are built for working adults. You complete coursework on your schedule, in your own time. Complete assignments and projects when it’s most convenient for you.
- BS - Information Technology
- Master - Information Technology Management
- BS - Management Information Systems and Business Analytics
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Mobile Development, Bachelor of Science
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
- IT Management - Bachelor's
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
- Software Development - Bachelor's
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
- Master of Science in Information Technology /Database Administration
- Master of Science in Information Technology /Enterprise Resource Planning
- MBA Cybersecurity
- And more...