If you are looking for an information technology degree, it is important to decide on the direction you want your career to grow in, as there are many areas you can specialize in. There are many specialization that you can work toward. While some areas of computer science have seen decline, other areas in information technology have experienced steady growth, for example the area of computer support and information security (cyber security). Even with a degree in information technology, many employers may require specialized information technology certification. Listed here is a list of accredited programs that offer an information technology degree.
Information Technology Education and Training
Information technology is defined by the Information Technology Association of America (ITAA) as the “study, design, development, implementation, support or management of computer-based information systems, particularly software applications and computer hardware. It deals with the use of electronic computers and computer software to convert, store, protect, process, transmit, and securely retrieve information.”
Although there are standard required and prerequisites tat are necessary to the foundations and principles of information technology degree programs, many I. T. degree programs provide students with the flexibility to customize their information technology courses by selecting electives.
These courses may include: computer programming, network system design, information security, and computer network management. Information technology degree students learn problem-solving and troubleshooting skills that they can apply directly into the work environment, including hardware, software, and networking tools. Specific information technology classes vary by program but could include the following:
- Software Development
- Data Architecture
- Systems, Networks, and Communications
- Systems Development and Implementation
Information Technology Careers
Careers in information technology and information science include a variety of roles that are based on the level of education and specialization, as well as experience. This includes an information technology degree or related area. Examples include:
- Computer programming
- Software design
- Web design
- Technical writing
- Desktop and network support
- Network security
- Information security and assurance
Employment for information technology degree graduates is available in just about any industry you can think of, for example:
- Colleges and universities
- Banking and finance
- Logistics and supply chain management
- Computer systems design
- Software publishing
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that IT professionals with advanced campus or information technology degree as well as expertise in current software and hardware technologies, business, and communications skills have better career prospects and advancement opportunities.
Some industries for graduates with an information technology degree include computer manufacturing, natural gas distribution, and securities and commodity exchanges. Positions may include:
- Database administrators
- Network analyst
- Network administrator
- Computer support specialist
- Computer and Information Systems Manager
Information Technology Studies
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Information Technology
- Flexible, 100% online programs offered include Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Master of Science in Cybersecurity Management, and more.
- Courses designed to keep students updated on the constantly changing world of information technology.
- Career-focused programs taught by experienced professionals help students develop real-world programming skills.
- MS in Information Technology
- AAS in Information Technology
- BS in Information Technology
- And more...
- Bachelor’s programs include Cyber Security and Information Technology with multiple concentrations
- Courses designed to teach students core concepts such as programming, system administration, and security
- Online Master’s in IT was ranked among the Best Online Programs in 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Doctor of Management Technology Management (Executive Format)
- Master of Science in Computer Science Software Engineering
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Software Systems Engineering
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor's (BIT) - Information Assurance and Security
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Master's (MIT) - IT Project Management
- And more...
- Degrees include BS in Health Information Management, BS in Nursing (RN to BSN), and more.
- Coursework focuses on relevant topics in the health care field, such as administration, planning, and policy.
- Students can specialize in areas like Human Resource Management, Health Care Informatics Systems, and Long-Term Care Management.
- B/S Health Information Management
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Dedicated career services team that helps students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary
- Program Coordinators focus on improving program content and ensure that students have the resources they need
- Over 50 locations nationwide
- Start your journey! Classes starting Aug 17.
- Software Development for Creative Technologies (Bachelor of Science)
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Arts in Leadership Studies - Information Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Apply At Fortis College Today! Explore the Career Programs.
- Computer Career - Networking
- Health Information Technology
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- IT Management - Bachelor's
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
- Software Development - Bachelor's
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Health Information Technology