Instructional design courses vary depending on various factors such as the particular university and the focus of study (i.e. concentration). Most institutions prepare students for graduate level programs in instructional design and technology only. I.e. instructional design masters and instructional design PhD degree programs. These disciplines are Master of Science (MSc.) Master of Arts (MA), Master of Education (M.Ed), Educational specialist (Ed.S), Doctor of Education (Ed .D), and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.). Only a few programs have undergraduate or bachelors degrees but some programs have a Graduate Certificate in Educational Technology Online. Below is a sample of typical instructional design classes that you can expect from various programs, depending on their focus. Names or titles will vary by program.
Educational Technology Training and Education
Instructional design courses are based on learning theories and instructional design models such as ADDIE. Coursework varies depending on the actual degree program. For example, some programs may have more of a teacher education focus, while others may cater to corporate instructional design, a Human Performance Technology (HPT) or training.
Additionally some of the courses will be required or mandatory but students would have some electives to choose from. Again, this will vary from school to school and program to program, and whether they are masters or doctoral level. In some cases some of the colleges offer instructional design certification. The important thing to ensure is that the college or university is accredited.
Typical Instructional Design Courses
These courses listed below are generic names but typically they form the core, foundational, or cognate area. Actual names may vary by the degree program offerings.
- Trends and Issues/Survey of Instructional Design
- Foundations of Instructional Design and Technology
- Technology-Based Instruction
- Computer-based Instruction
- Needs assessment/Needs Analysis
- Media production and development
- Instructional simulations and gaming
- Instructional Theories and Models
- Design of Performance and Instructional Systems
- Instructional Design Consulting
- Human Performance Technology
- Training Intervention
- Managing Instructional Projects (Project Management)
- Analysis of Instructional Systems
- Authoring Technologies
- Evaluation of Instructional Systems
- Educational psychology
- Research Methods
The following courses vary depending on the individual program. Typically, students select a few classes and some of these may be repeatable.
- Special Topics in Instructional Design and Technology
- Readings in Instructional Design and Technology
- Research in Instructional Design and Technology
- Directed Studies in Instructional Design and Technology
- Scholarly Project or Research Project
- Independent Study
- Educational psychology
- Research methods
* Note that these will vary by individual department or college and structure of the program as well. Specific names or titles will also vary.
Instructional Design Careers
Instructional technologists help to enhance their own teaching, in addition to helping other educators and trainers learn about current technology trends. Many professionals who become experts in instructional technology are already involved in the area of training and education, and they then go on to gain educational technology expertise.
Some educational technologists who gain expertise in instructional technology work in library and media resources as well technology administrators and corporate trainers, and e-learning experts. Instructional design careers include working as a technical writer, senior instructional designer, project manager, multimedia specialist, and elearning specialist, to mention a few.
Instructional Design and Related Programs
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Education in Instructional Technology - Adult Learning-Organizations
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- One of the first fully online M.Ed. programs to be accredited by TEAC (Teacher Education Accreditation Council)
- Courses within 6 distinct education specializations use real-world deliverables aligned with industry-specific objectives
- Specializations include elementary education, secondary education instructional design and technology and more
- AIU’s M.Ed. uses a proprietary adaptive learning engine to provide individualized content delivery not available at this scale in other online programs at this time.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Instructional Design & Technology
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Career and Technical Education (CTE)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Methods & Curriculum
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- MS in Instructional Technology (K-12)
- MS in Instructional Design and Technology - Adults
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- And more...
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- M. Ed. in Teaching & Learning in Education Technology
- M.Ed. - Teaching and Learning
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Technology Education (Master of Education) - Online