Instructional design programs are a growing area in education and training settings. This area of study includes instructional design certificate courses as well as graduate programs (masters and PhD) degree programs. Instructional Design is also known as Instructional Systems Design (ISD), where instruction and learning are examined as a whole. It is the practice of maximizing the effectiveness, efficiency, and appeal of instruction and other learning experiences. It is the systematic process of creating or adapting instruction, Most institutions prepare students for graduate level programs in instructional design and technology. I.e. instructional design masters and instructional design PhD programs.
Instructional Design Education and Training
Based on the program goals. different schools use different titles for their programs, for example: Computer Education, Educational Multimedia, Educational Technology, Instructional Design, and Development, Instructional Technology, Instructional Systems, Instructional Systems Technology, Instructional Design, Development and Evaluation, Instructional Design and Technology, Instructional and Performance Technology, and Learning Technologies.
Typically, instructional design programs are offered at the graduate level. Another common trait is that many programs offer both face-to-face and online courses. This would be Master of Science (M. Sc.), Master of Arts (MA), Master of Education (M.Ed), Educational specialist (Ed .S) Doctor of Education (Ed .D), or Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.). Very few programs have undergraduate or bachelors level programs.
A few programs however do prepare students for instructional design certificate programs. Many programs will have a limit as to how long a student takes to complete a degree. If you are in a program too long, you may begin to lose credits or be required to retake some classes. Many programs can be completed on an average of two years if one is attending classes on a full time basis (2 to 4 classes depending on the program). Some programs require a thesis, practicum, comprehensive exam, masters research project or a combination of these requirements for graduation.
Instructional Design Courses
While the IDT courses in a program may vary, some classes that you may take would include: Instructional Theories, Needs Assessment, Instructional Analysis, Instructional Development, Evaluation and Assessment, and more. Each program listing varies but the idea is to cover all elements of ADDIE and other instructional design models.
Instructional Design Careers
Graduates of instructional design and technology degree programs can work in many fields such as teaching, educational administration, and curriculum development. Educational technology graduates also work in the private sector, as corporate training specialists.
In addition, the fields of businesses and health care employ instructional technologists to train personnel in the latest developments in their field. Careers titles include the following: Writer, technical writer instructional systems specialist. senior instructional designer, trainer, e-learning instructional designer, project manager, and others.
Instructional Design and Related Programs
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MED: Higher Education: Instructional Design and Technology
- DMN: Expository Preaching and Teaching
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Curriculum and Teaching - Master of Education
- Doctor of Philosophy in Instructional Design
- Instructional Leadership - Doctor of Education
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Methods & Curriculum
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- And more...
EWU—a regional, comprehensive public university located in Cheney, Washington—is a driving force for the culture, economy and vitality of the Inland Northwest region. A focus on personal attention, faculty excellence, and community collaboration allows EWU to accomplish its mission for preparing well-rounded students to hit the ground running in their chosen career fields.
- M.Ed. Curriculum & Instruction
The oldest university in the state of Mississippi, MC seeks to lift up the teachings of Jesus Christ in a premier academic environment at an affordable price. Our aim is to infuse Christ into every aspect of our culture – in the classroom, throughout campus life, and in the hearts of our students. Our online programs provide working adults the flexibility and opportunity they need to further their career. Life can be hectic, especially when challenging personal commitments with work and family arise. Simply said, many adults need a full-time online program in order for them to reach their academic goals.
- Master of Education in Curriculum & Instruction Online
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals.
Keiser University is a private, not-for-profit university.
- Master of Science in Education, Teaching and Learning
At Arkansas State, we produce more than graduates-we combine the theory with the practice to create innovators and leaders of tomorrow.
With 11 colleges representing all major academic disciplines, a student population of more than 14,000 and 700 faculty, Arkansas State is a global center of learning for some of the most important emerging technologies and new sciences shaping the future of our world.
- Master of Science in Education in Gifted, Talented, and Creative
- Master of Science in Education in Curriculum & Instruction
- Master of Science in Education in Educational Theory & Practice
LSU Shreveport is a proud member of the acclaimed LSU University System. With LSUS, you can find the graduate program that fits your lifestyle and your career goals. You can open the door to new career opportunities without putting your life on hold.
Top Reasons to Enroll:
- A degree earned from LSUS carries with it the stellar reputation of the LSU University System at a fraction of the cost of comparable programs.
- Accelerated program that can be completed in as little as 12 months
- Ability to customize your MBA to your career goals
- Courses are taught by the same distinguished on-campus faculty
- M. Ed. General Online