Instructional design programs are a growing area in education and training settings. This area of study includes instructional design certificate courses as well as graduate programs (masters and PhD) degree programs. Instructional Design is also known as Instructional Systems Design (ISD), where instruction and learning are examined as a whole. It is the practice of maximizing the effectiveness, efficiency, and appeal of instruction and other learning experiences. It is the systematic process of creating or adapting instruction, Most institutions prepare students for graduate level programs in instructional design and technology. I.e. instructional design masters and instructional design PhD programs.
Instructional Design Education and Training
Based on the program goals. different schools use different titles for their programs, for example: Computer Education, Educational Multimedia, Educational Technology, Instructional Design, and Development, Instructional Technology, Instructional Systems, Instructional Systems Technology, Instructional Design, Development and Evaluation, Instructional Design and Technology, Instructional and Performance Technology, and Learning Technologies.
Typically, instructional design programs are offered at the graduate level. Another common trait is that many programs offer both face-to-face and online courses. This would be Master of Science (M. Sc.), Master of Arts (MA), Master of Education (M.Ed), Educational specialist (Ed .S) Doctor of Education (Ed .D), or Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.). Very few programs have undergraduate or bachelors level programs.
A few programs however do prepare students for instructional design certificate programs. Many programs will have a limit as to how long a student takes to complete a degree. If you are in a program too long, you may begin to lose credits or be required to retake some classes. Many programs can be completed on an average of two years if one is attending classes on a full time basis (2 to 4 classes depending on the program). Some programs require a thesis, practicum, comprehensive exam, masters research project or a combination of these requirements for graduation.
Instructional Design Courses
While the IDT courses in a program may vary, some classes that you may take would include: Instructional Theories, Needs Assessment, Instructional Analysis, Instructional Development, Evaluation and Assessment, and more. Each program listing varies but the idea is to cover all elements of ADDIE and other instructional design models.
Instructional Design Careers
Graduates of instructional design and technology degree programs can work in many fields such as teaching, educational administration, and curriculum development. Educational technology graduates also work in the private sector, as corporate training specialists.
In addition, the fields of businesses and health care employ instructional technologists to train personnel in the latest developments in their field. Careers titles include the following: Writer, technical writer instructional systems specialist. senior instructional designer, trainer, e-learning instructional designer, project manager, and others.
Instructional Design and Related Programs
- Education programs include BA in Education Studies, BA in Child Development, MA in Education, and more.
- Students can specialize in areas such as Education and Public Policy, Instructional Design, and Early Childhood Education.
- Flexible, online courses allow students to pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- BA/Instructional Design
- MA/Education - Curriculum & Instruction
- MA/Education - Exceptional Systems for Revolutionizing Education
- And more...
- One of the first fully online M.Ed. programs to be accredited by TEAC (Teacher Education Accreditation Council)
- Courses within 6 distinct education specializations use real-world deliverables aligned with industry-specific objectives
- Specializations include elementary education, secondary education instructional design and technology and more
- AIU’s M.Ed. uses a proprietary adaptive learning engine to provide individualized content delivery not available at this scale in other online programs at this time.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
- 100% Online Education Degrees - Ashford University
- Break new ground in your education career with your BA or MA in Education.
- Bachelor’s, Master’s & Associate's programs to prepare you for the invaluable role of guiding learners or shaping educational initiatives.
- Help Build the World's Future. Apply today!
- Curriculum & Instruction - Bachelors
- Curriculum & Instruction - Masters
- ESL/TESOL - Bachelors
- And more...
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Instructional Design & Technology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- M. Ed. in Teaching & Learning in Education Technology
- M.Ed. - Teaching and Learning
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- MS in Instructional Technology (K-12)
- MS in Instructional Design and Technology - Adults
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Curriculum and Teaching - Master of Education
- Curriculum and Teaching - Doctor of Education
- Curriculum and Teaching - PhD in Education
- And more...