Instructional design programs are a growing area in education and training settings. This area of study includes instructional design certificate courses as well as graduate programs (masters and PhD) degree programs. Instructional Design is also known as Instructional Systems Design (ISD), where instruction and learning are examined as a whole. It is the practice of maximizing the effectiveness, efficiency, and appeal of instruction and other learning experiences. It is the systematic process of creating or adapting instruction, Most institutions prepare students for graduate level programs in instructional design and technology. I.e. instructional design masters and instructional design PhD programs.
Instructional Design Education and Training
Based on the program goals. different schools use different titles for their programs, for example: Computer Education, Educational Multimedia, Educational Technology, Instructional Design, and Development, Instructional Technology, Instructional Systems, Instructional Systems Technology, Instructional Design, Development and Evaluation, Instructional Design and Technology, Instructional and Performance Technology, and Learning Technologies.
Typically, instructional design programs are offered at the graduate level. Another common trait is that many programs offer both face-to-face and online courses. This would be Master of Science (M. Sc.), Master of Arts (MA), Master of Education (M.Ed), Educational specialist (Ed .S) Doctor of Education (Ed .D), or Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.). Very few programs have undergraduate or bachelors level programs.
A few programs however do prepare students for instructional design certificate programs. Many programs will have a limit as to how long a student takes to complete a degree. If you are in a program too long, you may begin to lose credits or be required to retake some classes. Many programs can be completed on an average of two years if one is attending classes on a full time basis (2 to 4 classes depending on the program). Some programs require a thesis, practicum, comprehensive exam, masters research project or a combination of these requirements for graduation.
Instructional Design Courses
While the IDT courses in a program may vary, some classes that you may take would include: Instructional Theories, Needs Assessment, Instructional Analysis, Instructional Development, Evaluation and Assessment, and more. Each program listing varies but the idea is to cover all elements of ADDIE and other instructional design models.
Instructional Design Careers
Graduates of instructional design and technology degree programs can work in many fields such as teaching, educational administration, and curriculum development. Educational technology graduates also work in the private sector, as corporate training specialists.
In addition, the fields of businesses and health care employ instructional technologists to train personnel in the latest developments in their field. Careers titles include the following: Writer, technical writer instructional systems specialist. senior instructional designer, trainer, e-learning instructional designer, project manager, and others.
Instructional Design and Related Programs
- Instructional Design & Technology
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Methods & Curriculum
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- M. Ed. in Teaching & Learning in Education Technology
- M.Ed. - Teaching and Learning
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Technology Education (Master of Education) - Online
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Curriculum and Teaching - Master of Education
- Doctor of Philosophy in Instructional Design
- Instructional Leadership - Doctor of Education
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Doctor of Education - Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment (K-12)
- Doctor of Education (EDD)
- M.S.Ed - Integrating Technology in the Classroom (Grades K-12)
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MS in Education in Instructional Technology - Adult Learning - Organizations
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!