Instructional design programs are a growing area in education and training settings. This area of study includes instructional design certificate courses as well as graduate programs (masters and PhD) degree programs. Instructional Design is also known as Instructional Systems Design (ISD), where instruction and learning are examined as a whole. It is the practice of maximizing the effectiveness, efficiency, and appeal of instruction and other learning experiences. It is the systematic process of creating or adapting instruction, Most institutions prepare students for graduate level programs in instructional design and technology. I.e. instructional design masters and instructional design PhD programs.
Instructional Design Education and Training
Based on the program goals. different schools use different titles for their programs, for example: Computer Education, Educational Multimedia, Educational Technology, Instructional Design, and Development, Instructional Technology, Instructional Systems, Instructional Systems Technology, Instructional Design, Development and Evaluation, Instructional Design and Technology, Instructional and Performance Technology, and Learning Technologies.
Typically, instructional design programs are offered at the graduate level. Another common trait is that many programs offer both face-to-face and online courses. This would be Master of Science (M. Sc.), Master of Arts (MA), Master of Education (M.Ed), Educational specialist (Ed .S) Doctor of Education (Ed .D), or Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.). Very few programs have undergraduate or bachelors level programs.
A few programs however do prepare students for instructional design certificate programs. Many programs will have a limit as to how long a student takes to complete a degree. If you are in a program too long, you may begin to lose credits or be required to retake some classes. Many programs can be completed on an average of two years if one is attending classes on a full time basis (2 to 4 classes depending on the program). Some programs require a thesis, practicum, comprehensive exam, masters research project or a combination of these requirements for graduation.
Instructional Design Courses
While the IDT courses in a program may vary, some classes that you may take would include: Instructional Theories, Needs Assessment, Instructional Analysis, Instructional Development, Evaluation and Assessment, and more. Each program listing varies but the idea is to cover all elements of ADDIE and other instructional design models.
Instructional Design Careers
Graduates of instructional design and technology degree programs can work in many fields such as teaching, educational administration, and curriculum development. Educational technology graduates also work in the private sector, as corporate training specialists.
In addition, the fields of businesses and health care employ instructional technologists to train personnel in the latest developments in their field. Careers titles include the following: Writer, technical writer instructional systems specialist. senior instructional designer, trainer, e-learning instructional designer, project manager, and others.
Instructional Design and Related Programs
- Education programs include BA in Education Studies, BA in Child Development, and MA in Education.
- Students can specialize in areas such as Education and Public Policy, Instructional Design, and Early Childhood Education.
- Courses cover concepts such as phonics, curriculum development, instruction for English language learners, and more.
- Flexible, online courses allow students to pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- BA/Instructional Design
- MA/Education - Curriculum & Instruction
- MA/Teaching and Learning with Technology
- And more...
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Education in Instructional Technology - Adult Learning-Organizations
- MS in Instructional Technology (K-12)
- And more...
- One of the first fully online M.Ed. programs to be accredited by TEAC (Teacher Education Accreditation Council)
- Courses within 6 distinct education specializations use real-world deliverables aligned with industry-specific objectives
- Specializations include elementary education, secondary education instructional design and technology and more
- AIU’s M.Ed. uses a proprietary adaptive learning engine to provide individualized content delivery not available at this scale in other online programs at this time.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- Southern New Hampshire University believes in your right to affordable access to higher education.
- Private. Nonprofit. Accredited. And one of the lowest tuition rates in the nation.
- We believe you can succeed. We will be with you every step of the way. Find your program today at Snhu.edu.
- Education and Teaching Doctoral Degree
- Education and Teaching Certificate
- Education and Teaching Associate's Degree
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education*
- Instructional Design & Technology
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Career and Technical Education (CTE)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Teacher Leadership
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Curriculum and Teaching - Master of Education
- Instructional Leadership - Doctor of Education
- Instructional Leadership - PhD in Education
- And more...