K-12 certification degree programs or teaching licensure programs are required by all states in addition to a bachelor, master, or PhD degree for those who wish to work in K-12 school environments in the public school sector. Online teaching certification can be attained in different areas of K-12 education including: Elementary education licensure, middle-school licensure, and secondary licensure, as well as the Master of Arts in Teaching programs. Attaining teacher licensure is recommended for all teachers, even if they do not intend to work in public schools. In many position , as they may need to be licensed if they choose to work in departments of education or when supervising colleges students in K-12 schools during their practicum. Programs of study at the graduate (masters) level are the M. Ed., M.A.T, and M.Sc. degree programs. Many of the programs focus on teacher education, special education, curriculum and instruction, mathematics education, social studies education, reading and literacy education, science education among other content areas.
K-12 Teacher Certification Training and Courses
A campus or online K-12 certification degree is required for those who would like to teach in all public schools and a majority of private schools. Teachers can get a campus or online K-12 certification degree at various levels including:
- Elementary Education
- Middle-Level Education
- High School Education
In order to join the K-12 teaching profession, a minimum of a bachelor degree, supervised internship or practicum, and taking a state teaching license exam is required. The requirements may vary from state to state but in general they must meet these requirements.
Some states also require teachers to work toward a attaining a master’s degree in education (MEd.) or a Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T) within a stipulated number of years. Some areas of specialization with an online K-12 certification degree at the bachelor level are a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Education in:
- Social Science Education
- Elementary Education
- Secondary Education
- Interdisciplinary Studies in K-8 education
- Mathematics Education
- Science Education
- Reading and Literacy
K-12 teacher education courses may include educational psychology, developmental psychology, adolescent psychology, curriculum design and development, classroom management, pedagogical strategies, etc, in addition to a teaching practicum.
The master’s degree in K-12 teaching is an opportunity for teachers to specialize and broaden their professional teaching skills. In addition to completing a thesis or independent research project, student can choose to specialize in areas such as:
- Curriculum development and design
- Educational technology
- Pedagogical research and theory
- Educational research methods
- Assessment and evaluation
- Instructional strategies
K-12 Education and Teaching Careers
With a degree in K12 education, teachers can practice in a variety of roles including curriculum design and development, instructional coordination, administration and leadership, instructional technology, classroom teaching, library media coordination, library services, special education, and school counseling and program coordination.
As noted above there are multiple options for online education degree programs and for each specialization. Keep in mind that it is important to verify that the K-12 certification degree programs that you are looking into are regionally accredited.
The income for those in education varies depending on the specific job position, teaching location, experience, and level of education attained, including earning an education degree.
Teaching and Education Programs
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.S. in Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Special Education
- B.S. in Early Childhood
- And more...
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Administration
- And more...
- 100% Online Education Degrees - Ashford University
- Break new ground in your education career with your BA or MA in Education.
- Bachelor’s, Master’s & Associate's programs to prepare you for the invaluable role of guiding learners or shaping educational initiatives.
- Help Build the World's Future. Apply today!
- Education, Technology & Online Learning - Bachelors
- Education, Technology & Online Learning - Masters
- Higher Education - Bachelors
- And more...
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Higher Education Track
- Master of Education in Higher Education
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education*
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Leadership Coaching and Mentoring
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Coaching and Mentoring
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Secondary Education
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Elementary Education
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!