K-12 certification degree programs or teaching licensure programs are required by all states in addition to a bachelor, master, or PhD degree for those who wish to work in K-12 school environments in the public school sector. Online teaching certification can be attained in different areas of K-12 education including: Elementary education licensure, middle-school licensure, and secondary licensure, as well as the Master of Arts in Teaching programs. Attaining teacher licensure is recommended for all teachers, even if they do not intend to work in public schools. In many position , as they may need to be licensed if they choose to work in departments of education or when supervising colleges students in K-12 schools during their practicum. Programs of study at the graduate (masters) level are the M. Ed., M.A.T, and M.Sc. degree programs. Many of the programs focus on teacher education, special education, curriculum and instruction, mathematics education, social studies education, reading and literacy education, science education among other content areas.
K-12 Teacher Certification Training and Courses
A campus or online K-12 certification degree is required for those who would like to teach in all public schools and a majority of private schools. Teachers can get a campus or online K-12 certification degree at various levels including:
- Elementary Education
- Middle-Level Education
- High School Education
In order to join the K-12 teaching profession, a minimum of a bachelor degree, supervised internship or practicum, and taking a state teaching license exam is required. The requirements may vary from state to state but in general they must meet these requirements.
Some states also require teachers to work toward a attaining a master’s degree in education (MEd.) or a Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T) within a stipulated number of years. Some areas of specialization with an online K-12 certification degree at the bachelor level are a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Education in:
- Social Science Education
- Elementary Education
- Secondary Education
- Interdisciplinary Studies in K-8 education
- Mathematics Education
- Science Education
- Reading and Literacy
K-12 teacher education courses may include educational psychology, developmental psychology, adolescent psychology, curriculum design and development, classroom management, pedagogical strategies, etc, in addition to a teaching practicum.
The master’s degree in K-12 teaching is an opportunity for teachers to specialize and broaden their professional teaching skills. In addition to completing a thesis or independent research project, student can choose to specialize in areas such as:
- Curriculum development and design
- Educational technology
- Pedagogical research and theory
- Educational research methods
- Assessment and evaluation
- Instructional strategies
K-12 Education and Teaching Careers
With a degree in K12 education, teachers can practice in a variety of roles including curriculum design and development, instructional coordination, administration and leadership, instructional technology, classroom teaching, library media coordination, library services, special education, and school counseling and program coordination.
As noted above there are multiple options for online education degree programs and for each specialization. Keep in mind that it is important to verify that the K-12 certification degree programs that you are looking into are regionally accredited.
The income for those in education varies depending on the specific job position, teaching location, experience, and level of education attained, including earning an education degree.
Teaching and Education Programs
- Post brings 127+ years of campus success to flexible online degrees in Education
- 100% online with degrees at all levels
- Connect with other professionals in education around the world and across industries
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- Master of Education - TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
- B.S. in Child Studies
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (NITL)
- B.S. in Math for Secondary Education
- B.S. in Business for Secondary Education (ITL)
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Doctor of Education (EDD)
- M.S.Ed - Elementary Reading and Mathematics (Grades K-6)
- M.S.Ed - Mathematics (Grades K-6)
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Curriculum & Instruction: Early Childhood Education
- And more...
Trident University International provides an exceptional online educational experience for its students – diverse adult learners including current and former members of the military family. Adhering to the highest standards of academic excellence, faculty and staff foster a learning community where students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills to enhance their lives and advance their careers.
- Educational Leadership (Ed.D.)
- Master of Arts in Education
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Curriculum and Teaching - EdS
- E-Learning - EdS
- General Education - Master of Education
- And more...
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes! 100% Free Match to Top Colleges
- Get Matched to the Perfect Education Online or Campus-Based Degree Programs from Top Colleges Here
- Earn Your Degree in Early Childhood Education, Special Education, Adult Education and More
- Study Online to Learn at Your Own Pace and Pursue a Career You’ll Love
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Earning Your Degree from a Top University!