K-12 certification degree programs or teaching licensure programs are required by all states in addition to a bachelor, master, or PhD degree for those who wish to work in K-12 school environments in the public school sector. Online teaching certification can be attained in different areas of K-12 education including: Elementary education licensure, middle-school licensure, and secondary licensure, as well as the Master of Arts in Teaching programs. Attaining teacher licensure is recommended for all teachers, even if they do not intend to work in public schools. In many position , as they may need to be licensed if they choose to work in departments of education or when supervising colleges students in K-12 schools during their practicum. Programs of study at the graduate (masters) level are the M. Ed., M.A.T, and M.Sc. degree programs. Many of the programs focus on teacher education, special education, curriculum and instruction, mathematics education, social studies education, reading and literacy education, science education among other content areas.
K-12 Teacher Certification Training and Courses
A campus or online K-12 certification degree is required for those who would like to teach in all public schools and a majority of private schools. Teachers can get a campus or online K-12 certification degree at various levels including:
- Elementary Education
- Middle-Level Education
- High School Education
In order to join the K-12 teaching profession, a minimum of a bachelor degree, supervised internship or practicum, and taking a state teaching license exam is required. The requirements may vary from state to state but in general they must meet these requirements.
Some states also require teachers to work toward a attaining a master’s degree in education (MEd.) or a Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T) within a stipulated number of years. Some areas of specialization with an online K-12 certification degree at the bachelor level are a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Education in:
- Social Science Education
- Elementary Education
- Secondary Education
- Interdisciplinary Studies in K-8 education
- Mathematics Education
- Science Education
- Reading and Literacy
K-12 teacher education courses may include educational psychology, developmental psychology, adolescent psychology, curriculum design and development, classroom management, pedagogical strategies, etc, in addition to a teaching practicum.
The master’s degree in K-12 teaching is an opportunity for teachers to specialize and broaden their professional teaching skills. In addition to completing a thesis or independent research project, student can choose to specialize in areas such as:
- Curriculum development and design
- Educational technology
- Pedagogical research and theory
- Educational research methods
- Assessment and evaluation
- Instructional strategies
K-12 Education and Teaching Careers
With a degree in K12 education, teachers can practice in a variety of roles including curriculum design and development, instructional coordination, administration and leadership, instructional technology, classroom teaching, library media coordination, library services, special education, and school counseling and program coordination.
As noted above there are multiple options for online education degree programs and for each specialization. Keep in mind that it is important to verify that the K-12 certification degree programs that you are looking into are regionally accredited.
The income for those in education varies depending on the specific job position, teaching location, experience, and level of education attained, including earning an education degree.
Teaching and Education Programs
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (NITL)
- B.S. in Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Special Education
- B.S. in Early Childhood
- And more...
- Regent’s School of Education will prepare you for today's dynamic world of education
- Institutionally accredited by SACSCOC with TEAC graduate program accreditation
- Regent University is proud to be ranked as a top military-friendly school
- 86% of Regent students receive some form of financial aid
- Specializations in instructional design, special education, & Christian leadership
- M.Ed. in Reading Specialist - Non-Licensure
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction - Teacher Leader
- M.Ed. in Student Affairs
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MED: Curriculum and Instruction: General Education
- MED: Curriculum and Instruction: Elementary Education
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!