K-12 certification degree programs or teaching licensure programs are required by all states in addition to a bachelor, master, or PhD degree for those who wish to work in K-12 school environments in the public school sector. Online teaching certification can be attained in different areas of K-12 education including: Elementary education licensure, middle-school licensure, and secondary licensure, as well as the Master of Arts in Teaching programs. Attaining teacher licensure is recommended for all teachers, even if they do not intend to work in public schools. In many position , as they may need to be licensed if they choose to work in departments of education or when supervising colleges students in K-12 schools during their practicum. Programs of study at the graduate (masters) level are the M. Ed., M.A.T, and M.Sc. degree programs. Many of the programs focus on teacher education, special education, curriculum and instruction, mathematics education, social studies education, reading and literacy education, science education among other content areas.
K-12 Teacher Certification Training and Courses
A campus or online K-12 certification degree is required for those who would like to teach in all public schools and a majority of private schools. Teachers can get a campus or online K-12 certification degree at various levels including:
- Elementary Education
- Middle-Level Education
- High School Education
In order to join the K-12 teaching profession, a minimum of a bachelor degree, supervised internship or practicum, and taking a state teaching license exam is required. The requirements may vary from state to state but in general they must meet these requirements.
Some states also require teachers to work toward a attaining a master’s degree in education (MEd.) or a Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T) within a stipulated number of years. Some areas of specialization with an online K-12 certification degree at the bachelor level are a Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Education in:
- Social Science Education
- Elementary Education
- Secondary Education
- Interdisciplinary Studies in K-8 education
- Mathematics Education
- Science Education
- Reading and Literacy
K-12 teacher education courses may include educational psychology, developmental psychology, adolescent psychology, curriculum design and development, classroom management, pedagogical strategies, etc, in addition to a teaching practicum.
The master’s degree in K-12 teaching is an opportunity for teachers to specialize and broaden their professional teaching skills. In addition to completing a thesis or independent research project, student can choose to specialize in areas such as:
- Curriculum development and design
- Educational technology
- Pedagogical research and theory
- Educational research methods
- Assessment and evaluation
- Instructional strategies
K-12 Education and Teaching Careers
With a degree in K12 education, teachers can practice in a variety of roles including curriculum design and development, instructional coordination, administration and leadership, instructional technology, classroom teaching, library media coordination, library services, special education, and school counseling and program coordination.
As noted above there are multiple options for online education degree programs and for each specialization. Keep in mind that it is important to verify that the K-12 certification degree programs that you are looking into are regionally accredited.
The income for those in education varies depending on the specific job position, teaching location, experience, and level of education attained, including earning an education degree.
Teaching and Education Programs
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Doctor of Education (EDD)
- M.S. in Early Childhood Studies - Teaching Adults in the Early Childhood Field
- Doctor of Education - Early Childhood Education
- And more...
- Want to be a Teacher or Educational Administrator? Learn why GCU could be the best place to start! Here's why:
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate education programs, including TESOL, early childhood ed, elementary ed, secondary ed & more.
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both. We also offer evening classes!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Financial Options: Numerous financing options available, including scholarships for academic achievement.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.S. in Math for Secondary Education
- B.S. in Business for Secondary Education (ITL)
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education*
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Leadership Coaching and Mentoring
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Coaching and Mentoring
Online Learning at Concordia University-Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Curriculum & Instruction: Early Childhood Education
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Early Childhood Education (MEd plus Certification) - Online
- Early Childhood Education (Master of Education) - Online
- Early Childhood Education (Certificate Only) - Online
- And more...
- Looking for an Online Education Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!