Middle grades education credentials can be attained at various levels including a Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree or PhD in K12 Education.You can concentrate in areas like special education, music education, art education, social studies education, science education, mathematics education, physical education, curriculum and instruction, library media, school counseling, literacy and reading education, and instructional technology to mention a few. All states require teachers who teach in public schools to be licensed or certified before they can work in the schools. All states offer alternatives paths to certification for those who already have a bachelor’s degree but do not have education courses required for certification. Certification of middle school teachers varies from state to state. In addition, teachers are often required to complete annual professional development classes to retain their license.
Middle Grades Teaching Preparation
Those enrolled in the program would likely take courses in areas such as developmental psychology, educational psychology, classroom management, classroom assessment, pedagogical content knowledge, and instructional strategies.
Capstone experiences may include action research projects, comprehensive exams, and student-teaching experiences or practicums.
Like all public school education in all states, Middle school teachers are required to hold at least a bachelor’s degree in addition to a state-level teaching certification or licensure.
Middle Grades Teaching Careers
Middle school teachers typically work with in the sixth through eighth grade. Genreally middle school teachers are responsible for only some subjects for example English, social studies, mathematics or science. Some middle school teaches specialize in an area like art, music, or physical education.
Middle school teaching can be approached from various points of view. In some programs, there is an integrated approach to curriculum elements and there is also a view of the curriculum being examined by individual subject where where each subject is its own discipline that is taught by a specialized teacher in that particular field, for example mathematics, or science.
The majority of middle school teachers work in public and private schools. Teachers who coach sports and advise extra-curricula clubs often do so before or after the school day, and they spend some time in the evenings and weekends grading papers and preparing and planning lessons. Most teachers work the traditional school year with summers and winter break off.
Middle Grades Education Programs
- Want to be a Teacher or Educational Administrator? Learn why GCU could be the best place to start! Here's why:
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate education programs, including TESOL, early childhood ed, elementary ed, secondary ed & more.
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both. We also offer evening classes!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Financial Options: Numerous financing options available, including scholarships for academic achievement.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (NITL)
- B.A. in English for Secondary Education
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MED: Curriculum and Instruction: General Education
- MED: Curriculum and Instruction: Elementary Education
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction
- And more...
- Regent’s School of Education will prepare you for today's dynamic world of education
- Institutionally accredited by SACSCOC with TEAC graduate program accreditation
- Regent University is proud to be ranked as a top military-friendly school
- 86% of Regent students receive some form of financial aid
- Specializations in instructional design, special education, & Christian leadership
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction
- M.Ed. in Reading Specialist - Non-Licensure
- Doctor of Education in Character Education
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!