Middle grades education credentials can be attained at various levels including a Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree or PhD in K12 Education.You can concentrate in areas like special education, music education, art education, social studies education, science education, mathematics education, physical education, curriculum and instruction, library media, school counseling, literacy and reading education, and instructional technology to mention a few. All states require teachers who teach in public schools to be licensed or certified before they can work in the schools. All states offer alternatives paths to certification for those who already have a bachelor’s degree but do not have education courses required for certification. Certification of middle school teachers varies from state to state. In addition, teachers are often required to complete annual professional development classes to retain their license.
Middle Grades Teaching Preparation
Those enrolled in the program would likely take courses in areas such as developmental psychology, educational psychology, classroom management, classroom assessment, pedagogical content knowledge, and instructional strategies.
Capstone experiences may include action research projects, comprehensive exams, and student-teaching experiences or practicums.
Like all public school education in all states, Middle school teachers are required to hold at least a bachelor’s degree in addition to a state-level teaching certification or licensure.
Middle Grades Teaching Careers
Middle school teachers typically work with in the sixth through eighth grade. Genreally middle school teachers are responsible for only some subjects for example English, social studies, mathematics or science. Some middle school teaches specialize in an area like art, music, or physical education.
Middle school teaching can be approached from various points of view. In some programs, there is an integrated approach to curriculum elements and there is also a view of the curriculum being examined by individual subject where where each subject is its own discipline that is taught by a specialized teacher in that particular field, for example mathematics, or science.
The majority of middle school teachers work in public and private schools. Teachers who coach sports and advise extra-curricula clubs often do so before or after the school day, and they spend some time in the evenings and weekends grading papers and preparing and planning lessons. Most teachers work the traditional school year with summers and winter break off.
Middle Grades Education Programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- Master of Education - TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
- Master of Education in Instructional Design & Technology
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- And more...
- Personalized learning that’s guided by industry trends
- Technology-driven approach designed to help you reach your potential
- Access to real-world learning and strong thought leadership
- Convenient ways to complete your degree even with a busy schedule
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S.Ed - Middle Level Education (Grades 5-8)
- M.S.Ed - Mathematics (Grades 5-8)
- M.S.Ed - Literacy and Learning in the Content Areas (Grades 6-12)
- And more...
- GCU proudly boasts 60 graduates who have gone on to become Teachers of the Year! Will you be the next?
- Considering the rewarding field of education? Take your first step with a bachelor's degree in education. Many emphases available.
- Already an educator? Advance your degree with a Master of Education or a Master of Arts in an education-related field. Many emphases available.
- Opportunities to specialize in exciting fields such as TESOL, educational administration, curriculum & instruction, special education & more!
- Contact GCU today and learn about the many degree options available to you as a current or aspiring educator!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.A. in English for Secondary Education
- Instructional Design & Technology
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Education in Higher Education
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- E-Learning - EdS
- International Education - EdS
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!