Middle grades education credentials can be attained at various levels including a Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree or PhD in K12 Education.You can concentrate in areas like special education, music education, art education, social studies education, science education, mathematics education, physical education, curriculum and instruction, library media, school counseling, literacy and reading education, and instructional technology to mention a few. All states require teachers who teach in public schools to be licensed or certified before they can work in the schools. All states offer alternatives paths to certification for those who already have a bachelor’s degree but do not have education courses required for certification. Certification of middle school teachers varies from state to state. In addition, teachers are often required to complete annual professional development classes to retain their license.
Middle Grades Teaching Preparation
Those enrolled in the program would likely take courses in areas such as developmental psychology, educational psychology, classroom management, classroom assessment, pedagogical content knowledge, and instructional strategies.
Capstone experiences may include action research projects, comprehensive exams, and student-teaching experiences or practicums.
Like all public school education in all states, Middle school teachers are required to hold at least a bachelor’s degree in addition to a state-level teaching certification or licensure.
Middle Grades Teaching Careers
Middle school teachers typically work with in the sixth through eighth grade. Genreally middle school teachers are responsible for only some subjects for example English, social studies, mathematics or science. Some middle school teaches specialize in an area like art, music, or physical education.
Middle school teaching can be approached from various points of view. In some programs, there is an integrated approach to curriculum elements and there is also a view of the curriculum being examined by individual subject where where each subject is its own discipline that is taught by a specialized teacher in that particular field, for example mathematics, or science.
The majority of middle school teachers work in public and private schools. Teachers who coach sports and advise extra-curricula clubs often do so before or after the school day, and they spend some time in the evenings and weekends grading papers and preparing and planning lessons. Most teachers work the traditional school year with summers and winter break off.
Middle Grades Education Programs
- 100% Online Education Degrees - Ashford University
- Break new ground in your education career with your BA or MA in Education.
- Bachelor’s, Master’s & Associate's programs to prepare you for the invaluable role of guiding learners or shaping educational initiatives.
- Help Build the World's Future. Apply today!
- ESL/TESOL - Bachelors
- ESL/TESOL - Masters
- Education, Technology & Online Learning - Bachelors
- And more...
- Education programs include BA in Education Studies, BA in Child Development, and MA in Education.
- Students can specialize in areas such as Education and Public Policy, Instructional Design, and Early Childhood Education.
- Courses cover concepts such as phonics, curriculum development, instruction for English language learners, and more.
- Flexible, online courses allow students to pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- BA/Library Science and Media
- BA/English Language Learner Studies
- BA/Education Studies
- And more...
- Are you ready to advance or start your career inspiring minds and changing lives? Apply to join GCU's prestigious teaching community.
- GCU recognizes the diverse needs in education and creates meaningful experiences through all bachelor's and master's degree programs.
- Traditional college or online programs, GCU offers education degrees for a variety of learning needs – take your pick!
- Earn your master's or bachelor's degree online, on-campus or take individual courses for specific studies.
- Join the GCU heritage and take advantage of the opportunity to engage, instruct and inspire.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.A. in English for Secondary Education
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- M.Ed. - Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
- Master of Science: Education
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Higher Education Track
- Master of Education in Higher Education
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership
- And more...