Middle grades education credentials can be attained at various levels including a Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree or PhD in K12 Education.You can concentrate in areas like special education, music education, art education, social studies education, science education, mathematics education, physical education, curriculum and instruction, library media, school counseling, literacy and reading education, and instructional technology to mention a few. All states require teachers who teach in public schools to be licensed or certified before they can work in the schools. All states offer alternatives paths to certification for those who already have a bachelor’s degree but do not have education courses required for certification. Certification of middle school teachers varies from state to state. In addition, teachers are often required to complete annual professional development classes to retain their license.
Middle Grades Teaching Preparation
Those enrolled in the program would likely take courses in areas such as developmental psychology, educational psychology, classroom management, classroom assessment, pedagogical content knowledge, and instructional strategies.
Capstone experiences may include action research projects, comprehensive exams, and student-teaching experiences or practicums.
Like all public school education in all states, Middle school teachers are required to hold at least a bachelor’s degree in addition to a state-level teaching certification or licensure.
Middle Grades Teaching Careers
Middle school teachers typically work with in the sixth through eighth grade. Genreally middle school teachers are responsible for only some subjects for example English, social studies, mathematics or science. Some middle school teaches specialize in an area like art, music, or physical education.
Middle school teaching can be approached from various points of view. In some programs, there is an integrated approach to curriculum elements and there is also a view of the curriculum being examined by individual subject where where each subject is its own discipline that is taught by a specialized teacher in that particular field, for example mathematics, or science.
The majority of middle school teachers work in public and private schools. Teachers who coach sports and advise extra-curricula clubs often do so before or after the school day, and they spend some time in the evenings and weekends grading papers and preparing and planning lessons. Most teachers work the traditional school year with summers and winter break off.
Middle Grades Education Programs
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S.Ed - Middle Level Education (Grades 5-8)
- M.S.Ed - Mathematics (Grades 5-8)
- M.S.Ed - Literacy and Learning in the Content Areas (Grades 6-12)
- And more...
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- And more...
At SNHU, we believe everyone should have greater access to higher education. That’s why we offer over 200 accredited degree programs, flexible class schedules, and some of the lowest online tuition rates in the nation. We offer military tuition discounts up to 30% toward online undergraduate and graduate degree programs for U.S. service members, both full and part time, and the spouses of those on active duty.
- M.Ed. Curr & Ins - Dyslexia Studies & LBLD
- M.Ed. Curriculum Instr - Technology
- MA English and Creative Writing - Fiction
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
- Looking for an Online Education Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!