Music education degrees are focused on providing hands-on learning tools that present students with the skills and knowledge to become proficient music composers, music journalists, music teachers and music professors. For those who have an interest or talent in music, students can enroll in music degree courses that have a focus on courses like musicology, music history, music theory, and cultural effects of music and evolution of traditional and contemporary music. Musicology programs and music education program programs examine general music theory and subtopics like music history, cultural effects of history, and psychological underpinnings of the art of music. Historical musicology looks at the lives and bodies of work of historical and contemporary composers and musicians as juxtaposed in the corresponding historical events. Masters and doctoral degree levels allow students to specialize in particular aspects of music study for example music history, music education, ethnomusicology, musicology, and music theories.
Music Education Courses and Training
Bachelor of Arts degrees in musicology are available both at physical universities and online. Liberal arts colleges and universities with a reputation for liberal and fine arts programs are more likely to have the best musicology programs. Music education degrees can be earned in about four years while the master degre can be completed in around two years. PhD programs typically take four to seven years to complete.
Music history, composition, musicology and music theory an important part of music degrees. Students fine-tune their skills and abilities in a particular instrument for example guitar, percussion, keyboard and woodwinds. In addition to coursework, students maybe required to conduct research in a particular area. Courses in music education degrees may also include:
- Music Theory
- Music History
- Music Technology
- Performance Ensemble
- Performance Pedagogy
- Music Curriculum Design
- Methods of Music Research
Teaching in K-12: K-12 Education includes early elementary education, childhood education, middle and secondary education where you can teach a variety of subject and curricula for example mathematics, science, social studies, English, etc.
Curriculum and Instruction: Deals with curriculum and instruction, curriculum, assessment, etc.
Special Education: Working with learners with special needs. Bachelors and masters level degree programs are offered by several schools, and some programs have an accelerated Masters degree in education program if already have an undergraduate degree in an area in which you want to teach, for example Math or Science.
Early Childhood Education: Working with young learners, where the curriculum includes child psychology, parenting, and early learning strategies.
Secondary Education: Focuses on learners in grades 7-12. Studying secondary education usually prepares people for a career as a high school or middle school teacher. Most secondary teachers have a specialty subject which they teach, such as history, math, English, science and art.
Teaching Certification: For teaching in public schools and state requirements.
Careers in Music Education
Musicology majors become musicians, music composers, music producers, music teachers, music therapists, music librarians, film scorers, music reviewer and music software development. Most music and music history students graduate and then pursue careers as musicians while others move on to composition or music production.
Music education degrees include music lesson classes that teach students how to read music and play instruments. An appreciation and love for music and passion to understand the effects of composition are essential to succeeding in a music education program.
In the academic environment, some graduates go on to become music teachers, professors or researchers. Other potential careers include composer, arranger, conductor, music therapist, film scoring, music journalism, music librarian and instrument designer.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
The Estimated Income for musicians varies depending on the career path and performing artist earnings vary. Music teachers earn an average of $45,000 annually. Music professors earn about $70,000 each year. Music therapists earn approximately from $20,000 to $70,000 annually. Music education degrees and certification are hence important for gaining entry into K-12 education and practice.
Music Education Programs
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.S. in Math for Secondary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
- And more...
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Education in Instructional Technology - Adult Learning-Organizations
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
- Education programs include BA in Education Studies, BA in Child Development, and MA in Education.
- Students can specialize in areas such as Education and Public Policy, Instructional Design, and Early Childhood Education.
- Courses cover concepts such as phonics, curriculum development, instruction for English language learners, and more.
- Flexible, online courses allow students to pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- BA/Instructional Design
- MA/Education - Curriculum & Instruction
- MA/Teaching and Learning with Technology
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Career and Technical Education (CTE)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Methods & Curriculum
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
- M.Ed. Curr & Ins - Dyslexia Studies & LBLD
- M.Ed. Curriculum Instr - Special Ed
- M.Ed. Curriculum Instr - Technology
- And more...
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Higher Education Track
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Conflict Resolution Track
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Curriculum and Teaching - Master of Education
- Instructional Leadership - Doctor of Education
- Instructional Leadership - PhD in Education
- And more...