Music education degrees are focused on providing hands-on learning tools that present students with the skills and knowledge to become proficient music composers, music journalists, music teachers and music professors. For those who have an interest or talent in music, students can enroll in music degree courses that have a focus on courses like musicology, music history, music theory, and cultural effects of music and evolution of traditional and contemporary music. Musicology programs and music education program programs examine general music theory and subtopics like music history, cultural effects of history, and psychological underpinnings of the art of music. Historical musicology looks at the lives and bodies of work of historical and contemporary composers and musicians as juxtaposed in the corresponding historical events. Masters and doctoral degree levels allow students to specialize in particular aspects of music study for example music history, music education, ethnomusicology, musicology, and music theories.
Music Education Courses and Training
Bachelor of Arts degrees in musicology are available both at physical universities and online. Liberal arts colleges and universities with a reputation for liberal and fine arts programs are more likely to have the best musicology programs. Music education degrees can be earned in about four years while the master degre can be completed in around two years. PhD programs typically take four to seven years to complete.
Music history, composition, musicology and music theory an important part of music degrees. Students fine-tune their skills and abilities in a particular instrument for example guitar, percussion, keyboard and woodwinds. In addition to coursework, students maybe required to conduct research in a particular area. Courses in music education degrees may also include:
- Music Theory
- Music History
- Music Technology
- Performance Ensemble
- Performance Pedagogy
- Music Curriculum Design
- Methods of Music Research
Teaching in K-12: K-12 Education includes early elementary education, childhood education, middle and secondary education where you can teach a variety of subject and curricula for example mathematics, science, social studies, English, etc.
Curriculum and Instruction: Deals with curriculum and instruction, curriculum, assessment, etc.
Special Education: Working with learners with special needs. Bachelors and masters level degree programs are offered by several schools, and some programs have an accelerated Masters degree in education program if already have an undergraduate degree in an area in which you want to teach, for example Math or Science.
Early Childhood Education: Working with young learners, where the curriculum includes child psychology, parenting, and early learning strategies.
Secondary Education: Focuses on learners in grades 7-12. Studying secondary education usually prepares people for a career as a high school or middle school teacher. Most secondary teachers have a specialty subject which they teach, such as history, math, English, science and art.
Teaching Certification: For teaching in public schools and state requirements.
Careers in Music Education
Musicology majors become musicians, music composers, music producers, music teachers, music therapists, music librarians, film scorers, music reviewer and music software development. Most music and music history students graduate and then pursue careers as musicians while others move on to composition or music production.
Music education degrees include music lesson classes that teach students how to read music and play instruments. An appreciation and love for music and passion to understand the effects of composition are essential to succeeding in a music education program.
In the academic environment, some graduates go on to become music teachers, professors or researchers. Other potential careers include composer, arranger, conductor, music therapist, film scoring, music journalism, music librarian and instrument designer.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
The Estimated Income for musicians varies depending on the career path and performing artist earnings vary. Music teachers earn an average of $45,000 annually. Music professors earn about $70,000 each year. Music therapists earn approximately from $20,000 to $70,000 annually. Music education degrees and certification are hence important for gaining entry into K-12 education and practice.
Music Education Programs
- Want to be a Teacher or Educational Administrator? Learn why GCU could be the best place to start! Here's why:
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate education programs, including TESOL, early childhood ed, elementary ed, secondary ed & more.
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both. We also offer evening classes!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Financial Options: Numerous financing options available, including scholarships for academic achievement.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (NITL)
- B.S. in Math for Secondary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
- And more...
- Post brings 127+ years of campus success to flexible online degrees in Education
- 100% online with degrees at all levels
- Connect with other professionals in education around the world and across industries
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- Master of Education - TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
- Master of Education in Instructional Design & Technology
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Doctor of Education (EDD)
- Doctor of Education - Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment (K-12)
- M.S.Ed - Middle Level Education (Grades 5-8)
- And more...
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Instructional Design & Technology
Trident University International provides an exceptional online educational experience for its students – diverse adult learners including current and former members of the military family. Adhering to the highest standards of academic excellence, faculty and staff foster a learning community where students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills to enhance their lives and advance their careers.
- Educational Leadership (Ed.D.)
- Master of Arts in Education
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Curriculum and Teaching - EdS
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- E-Learning - EdS
- And more...
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes! 100% Free Match to Top Colleges
- Get Matched to the Perfect Education Online or Campus-Based Degree Programs from Top Colleges Here
- Earn Your Degree in Early Childhood Education, Special Education, Adult Education and More
- Study Online to Learn at Your Own Pace and Pursue a Career You’ll Love
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Earning Your Degree from a Top University!