Counseling PhD programs lead to careers in counseling psychology, teaching in higher education, research and more. The program in counseling psychology prepares graduates to apply developmental, psychological, and mental health principles to effect cognitive, affective, behavioral, and systemic change. These counseling psychology skills are used in many settings for example colleges and universities, hospitals, schools, rehabilitation centers, juvenile centers, social work settings, mental health centers, and private practice.
While specializations do vary, many counseling careers deal with helping patients and clients in dealing with depression anxiety, mental health and mental disorders, emotional disorders, relationship issues, marriage and family difficulties, substance abuse, sexual abuse, domestic violence, eating disorders, career changes, job stress, athletic pressures, aging issues, family loss, depression, eating disorders, self-esteem issues, adolescent issues, career decisions, college applications.
Counseling Education and Training
A PhD in Counseling can take anywhere from four to eight years to complete, past the master’s degree level. This depends on whether one is pursing the degree on a part-time or full-time basis. In addition, PhD candidates are required to write an original dissertation. Doctoral degrees in counseling and psychology are very specialized. PhD candidates can focus on areas such as counseling psychology, clinical psychology, and counselor education.
In most cases, counseling PhD programs, counseling psychology degrees, and clinical psychology degree programs are listed as PhD degree programs or Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) degree programs. On the other hand, counselor education programs are offered as Doctor of Education (Ed.D) or Ph.D. programs. These categorizations depend on the specific university or degree program. As with most doctoral programs, research and a dissertation is required.
Courses in Counseling
The difference between Ph.D. and Psy.D. degree programs is based on how much research the doctoral degree candidates are required to engage in. In either case, conducting research is a very important component of the degree program. Also, most states have requirements for counseling certification or licensure programs.
Counseling and psychology courses in a counseling doctorate program might include: Abnormal Psychology, Counseling Theory and Practice, Mental Health Counseling, Psychopharmacology, Assessment, Psychological testing, Interventions, Psychology Measurement and Tests, Theories of Personality to mention a few.
Careers in Counseling
A Ph.D. in counseling leads to specializations in various areas that may include:
- Community Counseling
- College Student Development
- Marriage and Family Therapy
- School Counseling
- Clinical Counseling
- Christian Counseling
- Professional School Counseling
- Multi-Cultural Counseling
- Psychological Assessment
- Educational Assessment
- Psychometric Assessment
A doctorate in counseling also prepares professionals for non-clinical positions in the field of psychology counseling. Some career options are:
- College and University Teaching
- Case Management
- Community Relations
- Mental Health Services
- Social Work
There are many areas with a need for counselors and counseling psychologists. These areas include health and human services, research facilities, hospitals, colleges and schools, rehabilitation centers, private practice, etc.
Psychology and Counseling Programs
- Continue your pursuit of knowledge with a master's degree in psychology online with GCU.
- Explore human behavior and the development of critical thinking and leadership.
- Areas of focus include: forensic psychology, geropsychology, health psychology, life coaching and industrial & organizational psychology.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
- Pursue a career in counseling, behavioral health, mental health, social services, education and more.
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Performance Psychology
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Integrating Technology, Learning, and Psychology
- Bridge - Doctor of Philosophy in Counselor Education and Supervision
- And more...
- Walden’s online MS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program can give you the confidence and critical thinking skills needed to help clients cope with life and overcome their challenges.
- Our MS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program explores the latest counseling theories; evidence-based research; and tools for preventing, diagnosing, and treating mental health disorders
- Learn from faculty who are professionally active and American Counseling Association members.
- The program offers diverse specializations: Addiction Counseling, Career Counseling, Forensic Counseling, Military Families and Culture, and Trauma and Crisis Counseling.
- Walden University’s MS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program is CACREP accredited.
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Educational Psychology
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Social Psychology
- Ph.D. in Psychology - General Psychology
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- And more...
- Earning A Psychology Degree Doesn’t Have To Be An Abstract Concept
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Top Degree Programs Available In Psychology, Counseling Psychology, Human Services, And More
- Make The Move From Thinking To Doing By Answering A Few Simple Questions Today.