Counseling PhD programs lead to careers in counseling psychology, teaching in higher education, research and more. The program in counseling psychology prepares graduates to apply developmental, psychological, and mental health principles to effect cognitive, affective, behavioral, and systemic change. These counseling psychology skills are used in many settings for example colleges and universities, hospitals, schools, rehabilitation centers, juvenile centers, social work settings, mental health centers, and private practice.
While specializations do vary, many counseling careers deal with helping patients and clients in dealing with depression anxiety, mental health and mental disorders, emotional disorders, relationship issues, marriage and family difficulties, substance abuse, sexual abuse, domestic violence, eating disorders, career changes, job stress, athletic pressures, aging issues, family loss, depression, eating disorders, self-esteem issues, adolescent issues, career decisions, college applications.
Counseling Education and Training
A PhD in Counseling can take anywhere from four to eight years to complete, past the master’s degree level. This depends on whether one is pursing the degree on a part-time or full-time basis. In addition, PhD candidates are required to write an original dissertation. Doctoral degrees in counseling and psychology are very specialized. PhD candidates can focus on areas such as counseling psychology, clinical psychology, and counselor education.
In most cases, counseling PhD programs, counseling psychology degrees, and clinical psychology degree programs are listed as PhD degree programs or Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) degree programs. On the other hand, counselor education programs are offered as Doctor of Education (Ed.D) or Ph.D. programs. These categorizations depend on the specific university or degree program. As with most doctoral programs, research and a dissertation is required.
Courses in Counseling
The difference between Ph.D. and Psy.D. degree programs is based on how much research the doctoral degree candidates are required to engage in. In either case, conducting research is a very important component of the degree program. Also, most states have requirements for counseling certification or licensure programs.
Counseling and psychology courses in a counseling doctorate program might include: Abnormal Psychology, Counseling Theory and Practice, Mental Health Counseling, Psychopharmacology, Assessment, Psychological testing, Interventions, Psychology Measurement and Tests, Theories of Personality to mention a few.
Careers in Counseling
A Ph.D. in counseling leads to specializations in various areas that may include:
- Community Counseling
- College Student Development
- Marriage and Family Therapy
- School Counseling
- Clinical Counseling
- Christian Counseling
- Professional School Counseling
- Multi-Cultural Counseling
- Psychological Assessment
- Educational Assessment
- Psychometric Assessment
A doctorate in counseling also prepares professionals for non-clinical positions in the field of psychology counseling. Some career options are:
- College and University Teaching
- Case Management
- Community Relations
- Mental Health Services
- Social Work
There are many areas with a need for counselors and counseling psychologists. These areas include health and human services, research facilities, hospitals, colleges and schools, rehabilitation centers, private practice, etc.
Psychology and Counseling Programs
- Walden’s online MS in Forensic Psychology can help you apply new skills and perspectives to areas like cybercrime, criminal investigative analysis and profiling, terrorism, and victim advocacy.
- Develop a strong understanding of criminal behaviors while gaining the expertise needed to make a difference within the criminal justice system.
- Focus on your interests—choose from one of 10 specializations to help you develop subject matter expertise and tailor your degree to your personal interests and professional experience.
- Enjoy engaging, multimedia coursework; interactive case studies; podcasts; expert interviews; and our unique interactive learning community.
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Educational Psychology
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Social Psychology
- Ph.D. in Psychology - General Psychology
- And more...
- Several institutional scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Features several learning model options, including online, residency, and hybrid options.
- Offers graduate degree programs in organizational leadership, mind-body medicine, psychology and human science.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Two teaching locations in Seattle, Washington with the university headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- Ph.D. Psychology
- Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology
- M.A. Psychology
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Performance Psychology
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Integrating Technology, Learning, and Psychology
- Bridge - Doctor of Philosophy in Counselor Education and Supervision
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education & Supervision
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- View Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Programs in Psychology Near YOU!
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements. Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs for You.
- Free information for Psychology, Counseling Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- Accredited, Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!