Counseling PhD programs lead to careers in counseling psychology, teaching in higher education, research and more. The program in counseling psychology prepares graduates to apply developmental, psychological, and mental health principles to effect cognitive, affective, behavioral, and systemic change. These counseling psychology skills are used in many settings for example colleges and universities, hospitals, schools, rehabilitation centers, juvenile centers, social work settings, mental health centers, and private practice.
While specializations do vary, many counseling careers deal with helping patients and clients in dealing with depression anxiety, mental health and mental disorders, emotional disorders, relationship issues, marriage and family difficulties, substance abuse, sexual abuse, domestic violence, eating disorders, career changes, job stress, athletic pressures, aging issues, family loss, depression, eating disorders, self-esteem issues, adolescent issues, career decisions, college applications.
Counseling Education and Training
A PhD in Counseling can take anywhere from four to eight years to complete, past the master’s degree level. This depends on whether one is pursing the degree on a part-time or full-time basis. In addition, PhD candidates are required to write an original dissertation. Doctoral degrees in counseling and psychology are very specialized. PhD candidates can focus on areas such as counseling psychology, clinical psychology, and counselor education.
In most cases, counseling PhD programs, counseling psychology degrees, and clinical psychology degree programs are listed as PhD degree programs or Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) degree programs. On the other hand, counselor education programs are offered as Doctor of Education (Ed.D) or Ph.D. programs. These categorizations depend on the specific university or degree program. As with most doctoral programs, research and a dissertation is required.
Courses in Counseling
The difference between Ph.D. and Psy.D. degree programs is based on how much research the doctoral degree candidates are required to engage in. In either case, conducting research is a very important component of the degree program. Also, most states have requirements for counseling certification or licensure programs.
Counseling and psychology courses in a counseling doctorate program might include: Abnormal Psychology, Counseling Theory and Practice, Mental Health Counseling, Psychopharmacology, Assessment, Psychological testing, Interventions, Psychology Measurement and Tests, Theories of Personality to mention a few.
Careers in Counseling
A Ph.D. in counseling leads to specializations in various areas that may include:
- Community Counseling
- College Student Development
- Marriage and Family Therapy
- School Counseling
- Clinical Counseling
- Christian Counseling
- Professional School Counseling
- Multi-Cultural Counseling
- Psychological Assessment
- Educational Assessment
- Psychometric Assessment
A doctorate in counseling also prepares professionals for non-clinical positions in the field of psychology counseling. Some career options are:
- College and University Teaching
- Case Management
- Community Relations
- Mental Health Services
- Social Work
There are many areas with a need for counselors and counseling psychologists. These areas include health and human services, research facilities, hospitals, colleges and schools, rehabilitation centers, private practice, etc.
Psychology and Counseling Programs
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education & Supervision
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Walden’s online MS in Forensic Psychology can help you apply new skills and perspectives to areas like cybercrime, criminal investigative analysis and profiling, terrorism, and victim advocacy.
- Develop a strong understanding of criminal behaviors while gaining the expertise needed to make a difference within the criminal justice system.
- Focus on your interests—choose from one of 10 specializations to help you develop subject matter expertise and tailor your degree to your personal interests and professional experience.
- Enjoy engaging, multimedia coursework; interactive case studies; podcasts; expert interviews; and our unique interactive learning community.
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Educational Psychology
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Social Psychology
- Ph.D. in Psychology - General Psychology
- And more...
- Master's Degree in Psychology: Designed for the Working Adult
- Flexibility: We offer convenient online or evening programs to fit your schedule.
- Variety: Choose from General Psychology or an emphasis in Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- Programs focus on the development of critical thinking and leadership qualities, as they apply to your profession.
- Degrees designed for individuals who desire promotion and/or continued academic exposure in the field of psychology.
- Speak with an enrollment counselor today & decide which program interests you!
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Performance Psychology
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Integrating Technology, Learning, and Psychology
- Bridge - Doctor of Philosophy in Counselor Education and Supervision
- And more...
- Discover how a Psychology degree from Keiser shapes great professionals in the field
- Concentrations in Human Services, Developmental Psychology, Healthcare, & more
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked as a top school in the nation by the Military Times Best for Vets Colleges
- Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- PhD in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- And more...
Divine Mercy University (DMU) is a Catholic graduate school of psychology and counseling, founded in 1999 as the Institute for the Psychological Sciences. The University is dedicated to the scientific study of psychology with a Catholic understanding of the person, marriage and the family. The University offers Master of Science (M.S.) and Doctoral (Psy.D.) degrees in Clinical Psychology, a Master of Science (M.S.) degree in Psychology and a Master of Science (M.S.) in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.
- Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology
- M.S. in Psychology (online)
- M.S. in Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- And more...
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy - Child & Adolescent Therapy
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy - Medical Family Therapy
- And more...
- Earning A Psychology Degree Doesn’t Have To Be An Abstract Concept
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Top Degree Programs Available In Psychology, Counseling Psychology, Human Services, And More
- Make The Move From Thinking To Doing By Answering A Few Simple Questions Today.