Why should you consider an online and distance education degree? With the advent of the Internet, distance learning has revolutionized post secondary education. But who is working behind the scenes to design and develop the courses? The convenience and flexibility of self-paced, self-directed learning remains popular with working adults and other people who have family obligations. A degree in distance education trains students to design and develop courses that address the academic, social, and personal needs of learners. With ever expanding multimedia and online technology and research in teaching and learning, this medium of instruction continues to attract more learners. With this fast-paced development, distance educators must remain current in the latest developments and instructional methods. Distance educators generally have a masters or doctorate degree in education. Many masters education distance programs offer courses in online teaching methodologies, application of educational technology, and corporate training.
Distance Education Training
Online education degrees in distance education are offered in different concentrations. Online distance education degree programs may go by the following titles:
- Master of distance education
- Master of education in e-learning
- Specialization in online teaching
- Instructional design for online Learning
- Master of education with a concentration in e-learning
- Master of education in instructional design for online learning
- Master of distance education leadership
- Master of science in instructional systems technology
With an online distance education degree, you can also train to be a certified e-learning instructor or teacher. In online distance education programs you will be learn the skills needed to teach an online course in the same medium that you will use to teach online courses.
Distance Education Courses
Distance Learning courses may include the following: Adult Learning Theories, Models of Distance Education, Budgeting and finance of higher education institutions, Legal Issues in Distance Education, Management of Distance Education Programs, and E-Learning Development. Programs are generally offered at the graduate degree level, i.e. masters and PhD programs.
Distance Education Careers
The demand for distance education teachers, instructional designers, and distance learning coordinators continues to grow. Professional distance educators teach a variety of courses in various subjects. They also design instructional strategies and online curriculum depending on the subject of study in addition to being involved with researching program effectiveness and managing the online courses and programs.
In addition to teaching online courses, graduates of distance education degree programs work in curriculum design, educational technology development, and distance education policy and management. Some related job titles with an online distance education degree are:
- Instructional designers
- Curriculum developers
- Online instruction coordinators
- Distance learning project managers
- Technical directors
- Online course support specialists
- Production managers
- Distance learning librarians
Instructional Design and Related Programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- Master of Education in Instructional Design & Technology
- Master of Education - TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Methods & Curriculum
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- And more...
- Make the impact through teaching you always knew you could at Keiser University
- Find degree programs in Education including Elementary Education and Leadership
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked as a top school in the nation by the Military Times Best for Vets Colleges
- Some degrees are taught in multiple languages including Spanish
- PhD in Instructional Design and Technology
- Master of Science in Education, Teaching and Learning
- Master of Science in Education
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Doctor of Education - Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment (K-12)
- Doctor of Education (EDD)
- M.S.Ed - Integrating Technology in the Classroom (Grades K-12)
- Personalized learning that’s guided by industry trends
- Technology-driven approach designed to help you reach your potential
- Access to real-world learning and strong thought leadership
- Convenient ways to complete your degree even with a busy schedule
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MS in Education in Instructional Technology - Adult Learning - Organizations
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Curriculum and Teaching - Master of Education
- Doctor of Philosophy in Instructional Design
- Instructional Leadership - Doctor of Education
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Education in Higher Education