Why should you consider an online and distance education degree? With the advent of the Internet, distance learning has revolutionized post secondary education. But who is working behind the scenes to design and develop the courses? The convenience and flexibility of self-paced, self-directed learning remains popular with working adults and other people who have family obligations. A degree in distance education trains students to design and develop courses that address the academic, social, and personal needs of learners. With ever expanding multimedia and online technology and research in teaching and learning, this medium of instruction continues to attract more learners. With this fast-paced development, distance educators must remain current in the latest developments and instructional methods. Distance educators generally have a masters or doctorate degree in education. Many masters education distance programs offer courses in online teaching methodologies, application of educational technology, and corporate training.
Distance Education Training
Online education degrees in distance education are offered in different concentrations. Online distance education degree programs may go by the following titles:
- Master of distance education
- Master of education in e-learning
- Specialization in online teaching
- Instructional design for online Learning
- Master of education with a concentration in e-learning
- Master of education in instructional design for online learning
- Master of distance education leadership
- Master of science in instructional systems technology
With an online distance education degree, you can also train to be a certified e-learning instructor or teacher. In online distance education programs you will be learn the skills needed to teach an online course in the same medium that you will use to teach online courses.
Distance Education Courses
Distance Learning courses may include the following: Adult Learning Theories, Models of Distance Education, Budgeting and finance of higher education institutions, Legal Issues in Distance Education, Management of Distance Education Programs, and E-Learning Development. Programs are generally offered at the graduate degree level, i.e. masters and PhD programs.
Distance Education Careers
The demand for distance education teachers, instructional designers, and distance learning coordinators continues to grow. Professional distance educators teach a variety of courses in various subjects. They also design instructional strategies and online curriculum depending on the subject of study in addition to being involved with researching program effectiveness and managing the online courses and programs.
In addition to teaching online courses, graduates of distance education degree programs work in curriculum design, educational technology development, and distance education policy and management. Some related job titles with an online distance education degree are:
- Instructional designers
- Curriculum developers
- Online instruction coordinators
- Distance learning project managers
- Technical directors
- Online course support specialists
- Production managers
- Distance learning librarians
Instructional Design and Related Programs
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- One of the first fully online M.Ed. programs to be accredited by TEAC (Teacher Education Accreditation Council)
- Courses within 6 distinct education specializations use real-world deliverables aligned with industry-specific objectives
- Specializations include elementary education, secondary education instructional design and technology and more
- AIU’s M.Ed. uses a proprietary adaptive learning engine to provide individualized content delivery not available at this scale in other online programs at this time.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
- Want to be a Teacher or Educational Administrator? Learn why GCU could be the best place to start! Here's why:
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate education programs, including TESOL, early childhood ed, elementary ed, secondary ed & more.
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both. We also offer evening classes!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Financial Options: Numerous financing options available, including scholarships for academic achievement.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Instructional Design & Technology
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Career and Technical Education (CTE)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Methods & Curriculum
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- MS in Instructional Technology (K-12)
- MS in Instructional Design and Technology - Adults
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- And more...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Education Specialist in Instructional Design and Technology
- PhD in Instructional Design and Technology
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Curriculum and Teaching - Master of Education
- Curriculum and Teaching - Doctor of Education
- Curriculum and Teaching - PhD in Education
- And more...
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
At Baker College, you’ll have the opportunity to choose between an on campus education or an online education, depending on what works best for you and for your schedule. Our ground campuses are located across Michigan and one campus in Reading, Pennsylvania.
- Educational Leadership: K-12 - MSEE (Master's)