Online and distance education, also called online distance learning, has grown by leaps and bounds as the Internet and bandwidth become more accessible. In many ways, this paved the path for elearning as we know it today. These medium of instruction leaves the online learner with more options for flexibility. Many accredited colleges and schools in the US offer programs in a variety of areas, whether it is bachelors and undergraduate, and graduate (masters, doctoral/PhD, professional degrees) Distance Learning and e-Learning Technology Degrees Online are offered by leading accredited universities.
An Overview of Online and Distance Education
Distance learning is not a new experience although online distance education is a more recent and evolving phenomena. Distance learning has been a method of teaching and learning for many individuals for at least one hundred years, starting with correspondence learning via postal mail (Moore & Kearsley, 1996). Online degree courses and e-learning utilizes multiple resources and multimedia components for learners anywhere at anytime.
The advent of information and communication technology (ICT) and e-learning have blurred the boundaries of distance education and traditional education (Garrison & Shale, 1987). Distance education has evolved in accordance with the trends and changes in conventional education for online degree classes.
Technological innovations like cable, satellite, computers, and fiber optics have increased the scope of distance education. As the radio was added to the conventional lecture approach, distance education integrated audiovisual components as well.
Online and e-learning degrees are available in a variety of areas:
- Online Business Administration and MBA Degree Programs
- Online Education Degree Programs
- Nursing Degrees
- Computers and Information Technology Degrees
- Health & Medicine Degrees
Presently, distance learning uses emerging technologies such as e-learning to enhance traditional education. For example satellite links, computers, telephone and Internet conferencing, two-way interactive video and the Internet. As a result, the distance learner can now have almost the same instructional contact and interaction as the student on campus. The introduction of live two-way audio and video communications means that face-to-face interaction and interpersonal communication can be combined at the same time when teaching at a distance.
The terms “distance learning” and “distance education” have been applied by many different researchers interchangeably to a great variety of programs, providers, audience, and media. Programs are available at all levels including:
- Associate Degrees
- Bachelor Degrees
- Masters Degrees
- Doctorate Degrees
In these online degree study programs, teaching and learning occur when the written and printed word, the computer, or telephone-conferencing are used to bridge the physical gap (Garrison & Shale, 1987). In other words, it is a process that utilizes various technologies to overcome separation of the teacher and the student. Distance learning is also characterized by the discretionary control of the learning process by the learners rather than the distant teacher, and the non-contacting communication between the learner and the instructor, mediated by some form of technology or print.
For geographically separated groups of learners, Internet-based (online) instruction can be more appealing than traditional face-to-face learning. Distance learning not only adds technology to instruction; it utilizes technology to advance potentially new approaches to the teaching and learning process.
It is a phenomenon that has changed the learning relationship. It has shifted the focus from the common, centralized school model to a decentralized and flexible model. The process had reversed the dynamics of conventional education. Instead of bringing students to school, it brings the school to the students. Online degree requirements do however vary by college or program.
Garrison, D.R., & Shale, D. (1987). Mapping the boundaries of distance education: Problems in defining the field. The American Journal of Distance Education, 1(1), 7-17.
Moore, M. G., & Kearsley, G. (1996). Distance education: A systems view. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Before proceeding with online distance education e-learning degree programs, it is important to examine some important points, such as: 1) The advantages and disadvantages of online distance education; 2) The types of learners who are successful in online distance education programs; and 3) Locating credible and accredited programs. This will help you avoid diploma mills.
Instructional Design and Related Programs
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S.Ed - Integrating Technology in the Classroom (Grades K-12)
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
The University of Southern California Doctor of Social Work (DSW) online program is designed for experienced practitioners to harness innovative solutions to solve real-world problems.
Unlike a PhD in social work, which prepares scholars for careers in research and the professoriate, the DSW@USC is an online advanced practice degree program for working professionals who want to have a greater impact in their practice.
The USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work offers a CSWE-accredited online Master's in Social Work. The GRE is not required to apply to the MSW@USC program. Complete in as little as 1 year with a BSW.
The MSW@USC is the first top-ranked MSW program offered nationally. Many online programs are limited to certain geographic areas or the availability of courses, making it necessary to travel to campus. Our program can be completed from virtually anywhere without the need to relocate to Southern California.
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?