Online and distance education, also called online distance learning, has grown by leaps and bounds as the Internet and bandwidth become more accessible. In many ways, this paved the path for elearning as we know it today. These medium of instruction leaves the online learner with more options for flexibility. Many accredited colleges and schools in the US offer programs in a variety of areas, whether it is bachelors and undergraduate, and graduate (masters, doctoral/PhD, professional degrees) Distance Learning and e-Learning Technology Degrees Online are offered by leading accredited universities.
An Overview of Online and Distance Education
Distance learning is not a new experience although online distance education is a more recent and evolving phenomena. Distance learning has been a method of teaching and learning for many individuals for at least one hundred years, starting with correspondence learning via postal mail (Moore & Kearsley, 1996). Online degree courses and e-learning utilizes multiple resources and multimedia components for learners anywhere at anytime.
The advent of information and communication technology (ICT) and e-learning have blurred the boundaries of distance education and traditional education (Garrison & Shale, 1987). Distance education has evolved in accordance with the trends and changes in conventional education for online degree classes.
Technological innovations like cable, satellite, computers, and fiber optics have increased the scope of distance education. As the radio was added to the conventional lecture approach, distance education integrated audiovisual components as well.
Online and e-learning degrees are available in a variety of areas:
- Online Business Administration and MBA Degree Programs
- Online Education Degree Programs
- Nursing Degrees
- Computers and Information Technology Degrees
- Health & Medicine Degrees
Presently, distance learning uses emerging technologies such as e-learning to enhance traditional education. For example satellite links, computers, telephone and Internet conferencing, two-way interactive video and the Internet. As a result, the distance learner can now have almost the same instructional contact and interaction as the student on campus. The introduction of live two-way audio and video communications means that face-to-face interaction and interpersonal communication can be combined at the same time when teaching at a distance.
The terms “distance learning” and “distance education” have been applied by many different researchers interchangeably to a great variety of programs, providers, audience, and media. Programs are available at all levels including:
- Associate Degrees
- Bachelor Degrees
- Masters Degrees
- Doctorate Degrees
In these online degree study programs, teaching and learning occur when the written and printed word, the computer, or telephone-conferencing are used to bridge the physical gap (Garrison & Shale, 1987). In other words, it is a process that utilizes various technologies to overcome separation of the teacher and the student. Distance learning is also characterized by the discretionary control of the learning process by the learners rather than the distant teacher, and the non-contacting communication between the learner and the instructor, mediated by some form of technology or print.
For geographically separated groups of learners, Internet-based (online) instruction can be more appealing than traditional face-to-face learning. Distance learning not only adds technology to instruction; it utilizes technology to advance potentially new approaches to the teaching and learning process.
It is a phenomenon that has changed the learning relationship. It has shifted the focus from the common, centralized school model to a decentralized and flexible model. The process had reversed the dynamics of conventional education. Instead of bringing students to school, it brings the school to the students. Online degree requirements do however vary by college or program.
Garrison, D.R., & Shale, D. (1987). Mapping the boundaries of distance education: Problems in defining the field. The American Journal of Distance Education, 1(1), 7-17.
Moore, M. G., & Kearsley, G. (1996). Distance education: A systems view. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth.
Before proceeding with online distance education e-learning degree programs, it is important to examine some important points, such as: 1) The advantages and disadvantages of online distance education; 2) The types of learners who are successful in online distance education programs; and 3) Locating credible and accredited programs. This will help you avoid diploma mills.
Instructional Design and Related Programs
- Education programs include BA in Education Studies, BA in Child Development, and MA in Education.
- Students can specialize in areas such as Education and Public Policy, Instructional Design, and Early Childhood Education.
- Courses cover concepts such as phonics, curriculum development, instruction for English language learners, and more.
- Flexible, online courses allow students to pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- MA/Education - Exceptional Systems for Revolutionizing Education
- One of the first fully online M.Ed. programs to be accredited by TEAC (Teacher Education Accreditation Council)
- Courses within 6 distinct education specializations use real-world deliverables aligned with industry-specific objectives
- Specializations include elementary education, secondary education instructional design and technology and more
- AIU’s M.Ed. uses a proprietary adaptive learning engine to provide individualized content delivery not available at this scale in other online programs at this time.
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Education in Organizational Leadership - Digital Learning Track
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.A. in Christian Studies with a concentration in Youth Ministry
- Ed.D. in Organizational Leadership - Christian Ministry
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
Home to more than 58,000 students from all 50 states and 125 different countries, Rutgers’ mission is to prepare students to become productive members of society and good citizens of the world. That’s made possible by a faculty and staff of over 13,000 members, which includes an Abel Prize winner, Guggenheim Fellows, MacArthur “Genius Award” Fellows, Pulitzer Prize winners, and many more.
- Online Master of Information
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MA Human Services: Christian Ministry
- MA Human Services: Military Resilience
- Earn your degree online from Ashford University!
- Choose from Undergraduate and Graduate classes
- Business, Health Care, Psychology and Liberal Arts programs to choose from
- Apply Now! Classes begin every Tuesday!
- BA in Health and Human Services
- BA in Health and Human Services - Health Care Informatics Systems Specialization
- BA in Health and Human Services - Long-Term Care Specialization
SocialWork@Simmons is an innovative, online Master of Social Work program offered through the Simmons School of SocialWork, the nation’s oldest school of social work. Complete your MSW in as little as 15 months with this CSWE-accredited program. No GRE required.
- Master of Social Work
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Human Service Certificates in Child and Family Services
- Certificate in Human Services
- MS in Human Services
- And more...