The education administration degree has several specializations that may include school leadership and development, supervision, and administration. Most online educational administration degree programs are offered at the masters and PhD level. In addition applicants are required to have some teaching or K-12 experience in addition to teaching certification or licensure in their area of practice. In many cases, to work in K-12 schools, school districts, or departments of education, educational administrators are generally required to have at least an undergraduate degree and in most cases an advanced or professional degree. Many high-ranking administrators have doctoral degrees. Many education administrators advance their careers from teaching or academic roles and transition to management and leadership roles. The goal of an education administration masters degree is to train leaders and education managers in the many responsibilities that are required to successfully run education institutions.
Education Administration Courses and Training
Required education administration degree courses may include:
- School leadership
- Instruction supervision
- Education law
- School administration
- Personnel management or human resource management
- Public relations
- Educational policy
- Educational finance
- Educational budgeting
- Curriculum development
- Education assessment, measurement, and evaluation
- Research methods, research design, and data analysis
Related education administration graduate programs include:
- Masters in education administration
- Masters in higher education administration
- Educational administration masters
- Education administration phd
- Education administration doctorate
All states require school principals of K-12 schools to have state licenses. However these requirements vary by state, and there are various organizations that provide national standards for educational administrators. Some examples are Interstate School Leaders Licensure Consortium (ISLLC) and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). Graduates administration degree must meet the stipulated requirements in order to work in the profession.
Educational Leadership Careers
To be successful in their chosen career, educational administrators should possess interpersonal skills, management skills, and the ability to oversee or prepare budgets, fund raise, oversee students’ progress, daily operations, and set and enforce policies and standards. Career options with an online education administration degree include:
- K-12 Education
- School principals in elementary, middle, and secondary education
- Assistant principals to work with the principal
- Program directors to supervise instructional coordinators, curriculum developers
- Preschool directors
- Education training developers
- Colleges and universities
- College administrators
- Academic deans
- Department chairpersons
- Admissions directors
- Financial aid directors
- Athletics directors
As the need for quality education remains a priority issue, the need for qualified education administrators will continue to be important.
Education Leadership Programs
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S.Ed - Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment (Grades K-12)
- M.S. in Early Childhood Studies - Administration, Management and Leadership
- PhD in Education - Educational Technology & Design
- And more...
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
- MSE Educational Administration
- MSE Education Specialist
Online Learning at Concordia University-Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- Educational Administration (EDD)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction - Educational Technology Leadership
- Ed.D. - Professional Leadership, Inquiry, and Transformation
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- International Education - Doctor of Philosophy in Education
- Leadership in Higher Education - EdS
- Instructional Leadership - EdS
- And more...
Building a better future starts in the classroom. The online master’s degree programs from American University’s School of Education are designed to prepare you to teach the next generation of difference makers.
- Masters in Education Policy & Leadership
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Ed. S. in K-12 Leadership
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Higher Education - College Administration and Leadership
- MS in Higher Education - Student Affairs
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Higher Education Administration: Education Leadership
- AA in Education (Non-Licensure)
- Bachelor of Science: Early Childhood Education in Interdisciplinary Studies
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
For nearly a century, Columbia International University has educated people from a biblical worldview to impact the nations with the message of Christ. Today we continue that effort, offering 21 degree programs for residential undergraduate students, as well as graduate and seminary programs, professional certificates, and convenient online programs for working adults.
- Ph.D. in Educational Leadership