The education administration degree has several specializations that may include school leadership and development, supervision, and administration. Most online educational administration degree programs are offered at the masters and PhD level. In addition applicants are required to have some teaching or K-12 experience in addition to teaching certification or licensure in their area of practice. In many cases, to work in K-12 schools, school districts, or departments of education, educational administrators are generally required to have at least an undergraduate degree and in most cases an advanced or professional degree. Many high-ranking administrators have doctoral degrees. Many education administrators advance their careers from teaching or academic roles and transition to management and leadership roles. The goal of an education administration masters degree is to train leaders and education managers in the many responsibilities that are required to successfully run education institutions.
Education Administration Courses and Training
Required education administration degree courses may include:
- School leadership
- Instruction supervision
- Education law
- School administration
- Personnel management or human resource management
- Public relations
- Educational policy
- Educational finance
- Educational budgeting
- Curriculum development
- Education assessment, measurement, and evaluation
- Research methods, research design, and data analysis
Related education administration graduate programs include:
- Masters in education administration
- Masters in higher education administration
- Educational administration masters
- Education administration phd
- Education administration doctorate
All states require school principals of K-12 schools to have state licenses. However these requirements vary by state, and there are various organizations that provide national standards for educational administrators. Some examples are Interstate School Leaders Licensure Consortium (ISLLC) and the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). Graduates administration degree must meet the stipulated requirements in order to work in the profession.
Educational Leadership Careers
To be successful in their chosen career, educational administrators should possess interpersonal skills, management skills, and the ability to oversee or prepare budgets, fund raise, oversee students’ progress, daily operations, and set and enforce policies and standards. Career options with an online education administration degree include:
- K-12 Education
- School principals in elementary, middle, and secondary education
- Assistant principals to work with the principal
- Program directors to supervise instructional coordinators, curriculum developers
- Preschool directors
- Education training developers
- Colleges and universities
- College administrators
- Academic deans
- Department chairpersons
- Admissions directors
- Financial aid directors
- Athletics directors
As the need for quality education remains a priority issue, the need for qualified education administrators will continue to be important.
Education Leadership Programs
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Joint Master of Science in Education - Master of Business Administration
- Master of Science in Education, Career College Administration
- Master of Science in Organizational Leadership
- And more...
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- Administrative Leadership (EDD)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction - Educational Technology Leadership
- Transformational Leadership (EDD)
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MED: Administration and Supervision: Teacher Licensure
- MED: Higher Education: Educational Leadership
- EDD: Educational Leadership
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- International Education - Doctor of Philosophy in Education
- Leadership in Higher Education - EdS
- Instructional Leadership - EdS
- And more...
- Education Assistant
- Organizational Development
For nearly a century, Columbia International University has educated people from a biblical worldview to impact the nations with the message of Christ. Today we continue that effort, offering 21 degree programs for residential undergraduate students, as well as graduate and seminary programs, professional certificates, and convenient online programs for working adults.
- Ph.D. in Educational Leadership