Online education PhD programs are offered in various concentrations, for example curriculum and instruction, instructional design and technology, special education, educational leadership and other areas as disused below. With an online PhD degree, there is a broad range of concentrations including adult education, instructional technology, instructional design, curriculum and instruction, K-12 education, educational administration, educational leadership, special education and more online PhD programs in education. Earning an online education PhD prepares you for teaching positions in higher education in addition to understanding environments and procedures that enhance instructional and learning effectiveness.
Education Doctoral Training
In the United States, an education PhD generally includes Doctor of Education (Ed.D), and the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree programs. In addition, areas of study like the Educational Specialist (Ed.S.), and the Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies may also provide education course work that can be counted toward the doctorate degree program depending on the university that one chooses to attend
The PhD in education and Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) are the highest degrees conferred in the discipline. The doctoral programs tend to be individualized, experiential, interdisciplinary. PhD candidates are provided with guidance of faculty advisers to help them plan their own programs to meet self-defined goals. Students in online education PhD are expected to complete coursework, original research in the form of a dissertation, fulfill residency requirements that may include an internship, publications, teaching, conference presentations, etc.
Doctor of Education and online education PhD degree programs are offered in online programs with specializations in teacher education and leadership, early childhood education, educational leadership and administration, instructional design and technology, community college administration and leadership, adult education, training, etc.
There are differences between an Ed.D. and a Ph.D. In the US both degrees are considered research doctoral degrees, and there are here are differences between the two in both practice and theory. The Ed.D. is focused on preparing educational practitioners to use their knowledge to solve instructional problems while the Ph.D. in education is a social science research degree which prepares academics and scholars to work in higher education and research. It is safe to say that the distinctions between online education PhD programs are minimal in both curriculum and dissertation requirements, where differences might arise in requirement coursework, number of credit hours required, and dissertation requirements.
PhD and Ed.D Specializations
- Counselor of Education
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Educational Administration
- Educational Leadership
- Instructional Leadership
- Educational Technology
- Counseling Education
- Educational Policy
Careers with a Doctorate in Education
Graduates of online education PhD programs tend to enter careers in the academia (research teaching, and service), administration, clinical practice in schools and school districts, and educational consulting. A Doctor of Education Degree prepares graduates for research higher education careers by providing them with a scholarly proficiency.
The EdD is an important part of a graduate’s career in educational administration, management and leadership as well, as one may be required to handle supervision of curriculum development, personnel management, budgeting, project management and leadership.
It is a general requirement that to teach at the university level, particular when working with masters and PhD students, a doctoral degree is required. Students who graduate from a campus or online education PhD degree program of study are then qualified to work in administration, research, or teaching.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the national median wage for education administrators for a secondary or elementary school is over $74,000, and this figure is much higher for administrators in higher education. The following are current salary ranges for college professors:
- Assistant Professor: $55,050 – $70,986
- Professor in Higher Education: $72,715 – $103,994
- Education Researcher: $34,566 – $91,592
The BLS reports a median salary for postsecondary teachers for 008 data as $58,830, ranging from $28,870 to $121,850. This takes into account lecturers part-time instructors and adjunct professors. The BLS also reports that , according to a 2008–09 survey by the American Association of University Professors, full-time faculty earned average of $79,439 for all disciplines. In general full tenured professors earn about $20,000 per year more than assistant professors.
The job outlook for those with a campus or online education PhD degree is expected to be faster than average employment growth although competition is expected for tenure-track positions with better opportunities for part-time or non-tenure-track positions.
Education and Teaching Doctoral Programs
- Walden’s MS in Early Childhood Studies program delivered through Tempo Learning® is designed to help you promote positive learning experiences for all children.
- Our program can help you gain the knowledge and professional competencies that prepare you for leadership roles, in and out of the classroom.
- Improve your ability to work with children in diverse learning environments by critically examining trends, applying research to relevant problems, and making informed decisions.
- Our custom-paced, competency-based education option for working professionals means that your progress is measured by the demonstration of skills, abilities & knowledge in a particular area of study.
- Our competency-based assessments allow you to demonstrate what you know about real-life and work-applicable situations—and then move on to the things you still need to learn.
- Doctor of Education - Early Childhood Education
- PhD in Education - Early Childhood Special Education
- Doctor of Education - Special Education
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- E-Learning - EdS
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- International Education - EdS
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Special Education
- Ed. S. in K-12 Leadership
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- And more...
Online Learning at Concordia University-Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- Educational Administration (EDD)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction - Educational Technology Leadership
- Ed.D. - Professional Leadership, Inquiry, and Transformation
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Early Childhood Education (Master of Education) - Online
- Advanced Studies in Secondary Education & Teacher Leadership (Master of Education) - Online
- Administrative Program for Principals (Master of Education) - Online
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!