Online education PhD programs are offered in various concentrations, for example curriculum and instruction, instructional design and technology, special education, educational leadership and other areas as disused below. With an online PhD degree, there is a broad range of concentrations including adult education, instructional technology, instructional design, curriculum and instruction, K-12 education, educational administration, educational leadership, special education and more online PhD programs in education. Earning an online education PhD prepares you for teaching positions in higher education in addition to understanding environments and procedures that enhance instructional and learning effectiveness.
Education Doctoral Training
In the United States, an education PhD generally includes Doctor of Education (Ed.D), and the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree programs. In addition, areas of study like the Educational Specialist (Ed.S.), and the Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies may also provide education course work that can be counted toward the doctorate degree program depending on the university that one chooses to attend
The PhD in education and Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) are the highest degrees conferred in the discipline. The doctoral programs tend to be individualized, experiential, interdisciplinary. PhD candidates are provided with guidance of faculty advisers to help them plan their own programs to meet self-defined goals. Students in online education PhD are expected to complete coursework, original research in the form of a dissertation, fulfill residency requirements that may include an internship, publications, teaching, conference presentations, etc.
Doctor of Education and online education PhD degree programs are offered in online programs with specializations in teacher education and leadership, early childhood education, educational leadership and administration, instructional design and technology, community college administration and leadership, adult education, training, etc.
There are differences between an Ed.D. and a Ph.D. In the US both degrees are considered research doctoral degrees, and there are here are differences between the two in both practice and theory. The Ed.D. is focused on preparing educational practitioners to use their knowledge to solve instructional problems while the Ph.D. in education is a social science research degree which prepares academics and scholars to work in higher education and research. It is safe to say that the distinctions between online education PhD programs are minimal in both curriculum and dissertation requirements, where differences might arise in requirement coursework, number of credit hours required, and dissertation requirements.
PhD and Ed.D Specializations
- Counselor of Education
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Educational Administration
- Educational Leadership
- Instructional Leadership
- Educational Technology
- Counseling Education
- Educational Policy
Careers with a Doctorate in Education
Graduates of online education PhD programs tend to enter careers in the academia (research teaching, and service), administration, clinical practice in schools and school districts, and educational consulting. A Doctor of Education Degree prepares graduates for research higher education careers by providing them with a scholarly proficiency.
The EdD is an important part of a graduate’s career in educational administration, management and leadership as well, as one may be required to handle supervision of curriculum development, personnel management, budgeting, project management and leadership.
It is a general requirement that to teach at the university level, particular when working with masters and PhD students, a doctoral degree is required. Students who graduate from a campus or online education PhD degree program of study are then qualified to work in administration, research, or teaching.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the national median wage for education administrators for a secondary or elementary school is over $74,000, and this figure is much higher for administrators in higher education. The following are current salary ranges for college professors:
- Assistant Professor: $55,050 – $70,986
- Professor in Higher Education: $72,715 – $103,994
- Education Researcher: $34,566 – $91,592
The BLS reports a median salary for postsecondary teachers for 008 data as $58,830, ranging from $28,870 to $121,850. This takes into account lecturers part-time instructors and adjunct professors. The BLS also reports that , according to a 2008–09 survey by the American Association of University Professors, full-time faculty earned average of $79,439 for all disciplines. In general full tenured professors earn about $20,000 per year more than assistant professors.
The job outlook for those with a campus or online education PhD degree is expected to be faster than average employment growth although competition is expected for tenure-track positions with better opportunities for part-time or non-tenure-track positions.
Education and Teaching Doctoral Programs
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction/Special Education
- Education Specialist: Curriculum and Instruction/Middle-Grades Education
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction/Middle-Grades Education
- And more...
- Ranked among the top 20 Regional Universities in the West in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Listed as one of America’s Best Colleges by Forbes Magazine in 2014.
- More than 97% of tenure-track faculty holds a terminal degree in their field.
- Student to faculty ratio of 15:1, and 47.5% of classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Higher Education Track
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Conflict Resolution Track
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Special Education
- Ed. S. in K-12 Leadership
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- Educational Administration (EDD)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction - Educational Technology Leadership
- Ed.D. - Professional Leadership, Inquiry, and Transformation
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!