Online education PhD programs are offered in various concentrations, for example curriculum and instruction, instructional design and technology, special education, educational leadership and other areas as disused below. With an online PhD degree, there is a broad range of concentrations including adult education, instructional technology, instructional design, curriculum and instruction, K-12 education, educational administration, educational leadership, special education and more online PhD programs in education. Earning an online education PhD prepares you for teaching positions in higher education in addition to understanding environments and procedures that enhance instructional and learning effectiveness.
Education Doctoral Training
In the United States, an education PhD generally includes Doctor of Education (Ed.D), and the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree programs. In addition, areas of study like the Educational Specialist (Ed.S.), and the Certificate of Advanced Graduate Studies may also provide education course work that can be counted toward the doctorate degree program depending on the university that one chooses to attend
The PhD in education and Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) are the highest degrees conferred in the discipline. The doctoral programs tend to be individualized, experiential, interdisciplinary. PhD candidates are provided with guidance of faculty advisers to help them plan their own programs to meet self-defined goals. Students in online education PhD are expected to complete coursework, original research in the form of a dissertation, fulfill residency requirements that may include an internship, publications, teaching, conference presentations, etc.
Doctor of Education and online education PhD degree programs are offered in online programs with specializations in teacher education and leadership, early childhood education, educational leadership and administration, instructional design and technology, community college administration and leadership, adult education, training, etc.
There are differences between an Ed.D. and a Ph.D. In the US both degrees are considered research doctoral degrees, and there are here are differences between the two in both practice and theory. The Ed.D. is focused on preparing educational practitioners to use their knowledge to solve instructional problems while the Ph.D. in education is a social science research degree which prepares academics and scholars to work in higher education and research. It is safe to say that the distinctions between online education PhD programs are minimal in both curriculum and dissertation requirements, where differences might arise in requirement coursework, number of credit hours required, and dissertation requirements.
PhD and Ed.D Specializations
- Counselor of Education
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Educational Administration
- Educational Leadership
- Instructional Leadership
- Educational Technology
- Counseling Education
- Educational Policy
Careers with a Doctorate in Education
Graduates of online education PhD programs tend to enter careers in the academia (research teaching, and service), administration, clinical practice in schools and school districts, and educational consulting. A Doctor of Education Degree prepares graduates for research higher education careers by providing them with a scholarly proficiency.
The EdD is an important part of a graduate’s career in educational administration, management and leadership as well, as one may be required to handle supervision of curriculum development, personnel management, budgeting, project management and leadership.
It is a general requirement that to teach at the university level, particular when working with masters and PhD students, a doctoral degree is required. Students who graduate from a campus or online education PhD degree program of study are then qualified to work in administration, research, or teaching.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the national median wage for education administrators for a secondary or elementary school is over $74,000, and this figure is much higher for administrators in higher education. The following are current salary ranges for college professors:
- Assistant Professor: $55,050 – $70,986
- Professor in Higher Education: $72,715 – $103,994
- Education Researcher: $34,566 – $91,592
The BLS reports a median salary for postsecondary teachers for 008 data as $58,830, ranging from $28,870 to $121,850. This takes into account lecturers part-time instructors and adjunct professors. The BLS also reports that , according to a 2008–09 survey by the American Association of University Professors, full-time faculty earned average of $79,439 for all disciplines. In general full tenured professors earn about $20,000 per year more than assistant professors.
The job outlook for those with a campus or online education PhD degree is expected to be faster than average employment growth although competition is expected for tenure-track positions with better opportunities for part-time or non-tenure-track positions.
Education and Teaching Doctoral Programs
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
- Our online MSEd program allows you to choose from nine specializations to focus your learning on your interests and goals.
- Benefit from our 24/7 tech support, Writing Center, Career Services Center, and more.
- Walden is the choice for more than 100 state teachers of the year.
- Research your passion. Select your own doctoral study topic and research what interests you.
- Learn how you can immediately make a positive impact on your school or district.
- PhD in Education - Early Childhood Special Education
- Doctor of Education - Early Childhood Education
- Doctor of Education - Special Education
- And more...
- Concordia pursues online learning with the same passion and commitment to excellence that has marked our 110-year history. Our online degrees provides the same high academic standards as our on-campus
- #1 in M.Ed Degrees awarded by a Non-Profit University with over 8,000 M.Ed degrees that have been awarded to Concordia Online Students (Based on 2013-2014 IPEDS data); #3 MBA Program in Oregon (2015)
- Your diploma and transcript is exactly the same as what students receive from Concordia’s on-campus program and carries the same value as a traditional degree
- Concordia offers a variety of scholarships, grants, and awards designed to make the cost of a quality liberal arts education more affordable. Military benefits are available to candidates who qualify
- Concordia offers outstanding student-focused support including technical support and student service teams to assist you from initial contact through graduation.
- Concordia University is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Educational Administration (EDD)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction - Educational Technology Leadership
- Ed.D. - Professional Leadership, Inquiry, and Transformation
- And more...
- Advance to the next level of your academic career - earn your Master's in Education online with GCU.
- Earn a master's in educational administration, elementary education, autism spectrum disorders and more – Take your pick!
- Integrate philosophy with real-world knowledge to implement strategies that provide critical thinking.
- The dedication to your success extends beyond the classroom and into a professional educational setting.
- Incorporate modern pedagogy through a student-driven learning concept and technology.
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Special Education
- Ed. S. in K-12 Leadership
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- E-Learning - EdS
- International Education - EdS
- And more...
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education, Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education, Distance Learning
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- PhD in Educational Leadership