An elementary education degree is designed to focus on the practice of working with students who are in grades K-6 (kindergarten through sixth grade) in the United States education system. Elementary education students learn about the developmental stages of young learners or children, as well as the best practices to helping them learn most effectively. Most elementary education masters students then take an exam which gives them licensure or certification to teach as elementary school teachers. A teaching certificate or teaching license is required in all U.S. states in order to work in the public schools system. The difference between early childhood education and elementary education is that typically early childhood education runs from pre-K through the fourth grade, while elementary education runs from fourth through the eighth grade.
Elementary Education Training
A degree in elementary education focuses on educational psychology, learning styles, classroom management among other core courses. At this level of teaching, teachers focus on developing children’s basic mathematics, reading, writing, and social skills.
Courses include classroom management, theories and models of instruction, developmental psychology, ethical and legal issues in education, instructional technology, elementary education curriculum development, assessment and evaluation, and reading and learning strategies to mention a few courses.
Elementary school teachers are required to have, at a minimum, a bachelor’s degree in teaching and an elementary education teaching certificate. Some students in online elementary education masters degree programs chose to specialize in a certain areas for example math, music, science, language arts, etc.
Earning an elementary teaching certificate also requires a student teaching internship or practicum in an elementary school before graduation. The internship or practicum requirement for online elementary education degrees, including the masters in elementary education degree program is often one or two semesters long.
Careers in Elementary Education
Elementary education careers are ideal for those who love working with younger children! As an elementary school teacher or counselor, you will work with young learners in their important formative years to promote self-worth, skill development, social skills as well as age-appropriate academic skills. With an online elementary education degree, your teaching responsibilities would include:
- Teaching the basics of math, English, history, science, music, art, social sciences and physical education
- Selecting required instructional materials and resources
- Creating lesson plans
- Administering and grading homework and tests
- Using computers technology, games, music art, videos, multimedia, experiments, books to motivate to learners
- Promoting the development of social skills through group interaction
- Preparing students to take standardized assessments
- Monitoring behavior and enacting discipline
- Communicating with parents
- Places of employment include:
- Daycare provider
- Elementary school teacher or administrator
- Reading specialist
- School librarian
Elementary Education Programs
- GCU proudly boasts 60 graduates who have gone on to become Teachers of the Year! Will you be the next?
- Considering the rewarding field of education? Take your first step with a bachelor's degree in education. Many emphases available.
- Already an educator? Advance your degree with a Master of Education or a Master of Arts in an education-related field. Many emphases available.
- Opportunities to specialize in exciting fields such as TESOL, educational administration, curriculum & instruction, special education & more!
- Contact GCU today and learn about the many degree options available to you as a current or aspiring educator!
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- B.S. in Elementary Education
- B.S. in Early Childhood
- And more...
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Administration
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- And more...
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education*
- Instructional Design & Technology
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Higher Education Track
- Master of Education in Higher Education
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!