An elementary education degree is designed to focus on the practice of working with students who are in grades K-6 (kindergarten through sixth grade) in the United States education system. Elementary education students learn about the developmental stages of young learners or children, as well as the best practices to helping them learn most effectively. Most elementary education masters students then take an exam which gives them licensure or certification to teach as elementary school teachers. A teaching certificate or teaching license is required in all U.S. states in order to work in the public schools system. The difference between early childhood education and elementary education is that typically early childhood education runs from pre-K through the fourth grade, while elementary education runs from fourth through the eighth grade.
Elementary Education Training
A degree in elementary education focuses on educational psychology, learning styles, classroom management among other core courses. At this level of teaching, teachers focus on developing children’s basic mathematics, reading, writing, and social skills.
Courses include classroom management, theories and models of instruction, developmental psychology, ethical and legal issues in education, instructional technology, elementary education curriculum development, assessment and evaluation, and reading and learning strategies to mention a few courses.
Elementary school teachers are required to have, at a minimum, a bachelor’s degree in teaching and an elementary education teaching certificate. Some students in online elementary education masters degree programs chose to specialize in a certain areas for example math, music, science, language arts, etc.
Earning an elementary teaching certificate also requires a student teaching internship or practicum in an elementary school before graduation. The internship or practicum requirement for online elementary education degrees, including the masters in elementary education degree program is often one or two semesters long.
Careers in Elementary Education
Elementary education careers are ideal for those who love working with younger children! As an elementary school teacher or counselor, you will work with young learners in their important formative years to promote self-worth, skill development, social skills as well as age-appropriate academic skills. With an online elementary education degree, your teaching responsibilities would include:
- Teaching the basics of math, English, history, science, music, art, social sciences and physical education
- Selecting required instructional materials and resources
- Creating lesson plans
- Administering and grading homework and tests
- Using computers technology, games, music art, videos, multimedia, experiments, books to motivate to learners
- Promoting the development of social skills through group interaction
- Preparing students to take standardized assessments
- Monitoring behavior and enacting discipline
- Communicating with parents
- Places of employment include:
- Daycare provider
- Elementary school teacher or administrator
- Reading specialist
- School librarian
Elementary Education Programs
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Administration
- And more...
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- B.S. in Elementary Education
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- And more...
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education*
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Early Childhood Education (Certificate Only) - Online
- Early Childhood Education (MEd plus Certification) - Online
- Early Childhood Education (Master of Education) - Online
- And more...
For nearly a century, Columbia International University has educated people from a biblical worldview to impact the nations with the message of Christ. Today we continue that effort, offering 21 degree programs for residential undergraduate students, as well as graduate and seminary programs, professional certificates, and convenient online programs for working adults.
- Master of Education (Instruction & Learning)