An elementary education degree is designed to focus on the practice of working with students who are in grades K-6 (kindergarten through sixth grade) in the United States education system. Elementary education students learn about the developmental stages of young learners or children, as well as the best practices to helping them learn most effectively. Most elementary education masters students then take an exam which gives them licensure or certification to teach as elementary school teachers. A teaching certificate or teaching license is required in all U.S. states in order to work in the public schools system. The difference between early childhood education and elementary education is that typically early childhood education runs from pre-K through the fourth grade, while elementary education runs from fourth through the eighth grade.
Elementary Education Training
A degree in elementary education focuses on educational psychology, learning styles, classroom management among other core courses. At this level of teaching, teachers focus on developing children’s basic mathematics, reading, writing, and social skills.
Courses include classroom management, theories and models of instruction, developmental psychology, ethical and legal issues in education, instructional technology, elementary education curriculum development, assessment and evaluation, and reading and learning strategies to mention a few courses.
Elementary school teachers are required to have, at a minimum, a bachelor’s degree in teaching and an elementary education teaching certificate. Some students in online elementary education masters degree programs chose to specialize in a certain areas for example math, music, science, language arts, etc.
Earning an elementary teaching certificate also requires a student teaching internship or practicum in an elementary school before graduation. The internship or practicum requirement for online elementary education degrees, including the masters in elementary education degree program is often one or two semesters long.
Careers in Elementary Education
Elementary education careers are ideal for those who love working with younger children! As an elementary school teacher or counselor, you will work with young learners in their important formative years to promote self-worth, skill development, social skills as well as age-appropriate academic skills. With an online elementary education degree, your teaching responsibilities would include:
- Teaching the basics of math, English, history, science, music, art, social sciences and physical education
- Selecting required instructional materials and resources
- Creating lesson plans
- Administering and grading homework and tests
- Using computers technology, games, music art, videos, multimedia, experiments, books to motivate to learners
- Promoting the development of social skills through group interaction
- Preparing students to take standardized assessments
- Monitoring behavior and enacting discipline
- Communicating with parents
- Places of employment include:
- Daycare provider
- Elementary school teacher or administrator
- Reading specialist
- School librarian
Elementary Education Programs
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- B.S. in Elementary Education
- B.S. in Early Childhood
- And more...
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Administration
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Curriculum & Instruction: Early Childhood Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Career and Technical Education
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- BS in Early Childhood
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
- And more...
- Early Childhood Education
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Early Childhood Education - EdS
- Early Childhood Education - Doctor of Education
- Early Childhood Education - PhD in Education
- And more...
Study online with California University of Pennsylvania. We offer certificate and bachelor's and master's degree programs in a wide variety of fields that can be completed 100% online.
- Early Childhood Education (Certificate Only) - Online
- Early Childhood Education (MEd plus Certification) - Online
- Early Childhood Education (Master of Education) - Online
- And more...
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
At Baker College, you’ll have the opportunity to choose between an on campus education or an online education, depending on what works best for you and for your schedule. Our ground campuses are located across Michigan and one campus in Reading, Pennsylvania.
- Elementary Mathematics - Additional Endorsement - Certificate