ESL certification has become more and more desirable as English continues to grow as the lingua franca in a global economy. ESL – English as a Second Language courses require qualified ESL teachers to work with children and adults. The field is also commonly referred to as English to speakers of other languages (ESOL). Throughout the world, ESL teachers work with millions of learners using real life contexts and situations to teach students to speak, listen, read, and write English. ESL teachers therefore work with students of all nationalities and ages with the common goal of helping them master the English language. In schools, especially in metropolitan cities with many speakers of other languages, the need for ESL teachers is also high as the schools must be equipped to meet the educational needs of growing numbers of students who are second language speakers. ESL teachers must be therefore be well-trained to teach young children vocabulary, writing, reading and listening comprehension skills.
ESL Education and Training
Education and training requirements for ESL teachers vary according to the individual program and specific teacher career goals. Adult education centers generally require teachers to possess at least a bachelor’s degree and in some cases a master’s degree in ESL instruction, and this may include ESL certification.
A TESOL certificate (Teaching English as a Second Language) is a good way for teachers to transition into the ESL field from a K-12 or adult education learning environment. The ESL certificate provides specialized training for teachers who already have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in a different field of study. Students can complete various differ degree requirements including:
- Bachelor in ESL Teaching
- Master in ESL Teaching or Masters in ESL
- Master of Education (MEd) in TESOL
- Master of Science in Linguistics
- Master of Arts in English with ESL emphasis
- Master of Arts in English with TESOL emphasis
- PhD in Education with a TESOL emphasis
- Certificate in TESOL
The TESOL certificate is a bridging program for students who already have a degree. Students typically take eighteen to twenty-one credits hours to earn the certificate. ESL courses may include:
- Second-language acquisition theory
- Adult education fundamentals
- Working with learners from other cultures
- Applied linguistics
Foreign language courses are useful in ESL certification and also for preparing teachers to interact with non-native speakers of English. Teachers in public programs may need to complete an approved teacher training program and attain school teacher licensure and some states might require ESL teachers face licensing requirements.
Some institutes may require TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) or other teaching/instructor certification. TEFL certification does increase career opportunities for ESL teachers especially those who are interested in teaching abroad. In countries like China, Japan, and South Korea, there is a high demand for ESL teachers to prepare students to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). ESOL teacher training is thus an option.
Teaching opportunities with ESL certification including working at community colleges, community centers, teaching in K-12 schools will continue to be important. Certified K-12 teachers can work with younger learners while those interested in working with adult learners may chose to teach abroad or teach at the college level.
With ESL certification or ESOL training you can increase job opportunities and develop instructional skills for teaching English to non-native speakers. Along with mathematics and science education, bilingual education is one of the fast growing areas in K-12 education. Employment of adult literacy and remedial education teachers is expected to continue to increase.
ESL – Second Language Education and Teaching Programs
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- English Second Language - Master of Education
- English Second Language - PhD in Education
- English Second Language - EdS
- And more...
- Teaching English as a Second Language
Capella combines outstanding academics with a supportive faculty and staff in a program designed for working adults.
An education that blends theory and practice to fuel your career
- MS - English Language Learning and Teaching
- MS - Integrative Studies
- MS - K-12 Studies in Education
- And more...
Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Submit the form on the right to learn how you can make a change and advance your career.
- M.S.Ed - Teaching English Language Learners (Grades K-12)
- M.S. in Education
- M.S.Ed - Professional Development (Grades PreK-12)
- And more...
Pioneering distance education since 1985, Liberty University is now the nation’s seventh largest university. With more than 300 online and residential areas of study, Liberty offers programs from the certificate to doctoral level.
- M.Ed. Teaching & Learning: History
- AA in Education (Non-Licensure)
- CERT: Preschool
- And more...
- MS - Teaching and Learning
For more than 35 years, Keiser University has provided student-centered, career-focused education in fields such as health care, business, criminal justice and information technology. Our one-class-at-a-time schedules allow busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family. Whether you choose to attend online, on campus, or both you will be part of a caring learning environment led by experienced faculty who bring textbooks to life with real-world challenges and solutions. Our unique combination of a curriculum that is in pace with technology and the skills employers value along with our “students first” approach provides an outstanding academic experience.
- Education, MS (Online Only)
- Master of Science in Education with a specialization in Teaching and Learning (Online Only)
- Preliminary Education Specialist Credential
- M.A. Education with Preliminary Multiple Subject Teaching Credential
- M.A. Education with Preliminary Education Specialist Instruction Credential
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science: Education
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
- And more...
- Cosmetology Teacher Training