Evaluation degrees, assessment degrees, and measurements degrees focus on developing and evaluating curriculum and facilitating learning. Educational assessment and evaluation deals with identifying what works and what does not work in learning environments, both inside and outside the classroom. The assessment and evaluation methods are applied to students to determine how individuals learn, how to prepare assessment materials, and items, and how individuals learn and they to best test students. Student learning and progress is determined by educational evaluation and assessment and assessment and evaluation programs prepare students about evaluation systems and effective organizational deployment.
Assessment and Evaluation Education and Training
The goal of professional testing departments and companies is to help learners and schools determine curriculum strength and individual achievement. Related areas include psychometrics, and program monitoring and evaluation.
Educational assessment and evaluation degree programs are generally offered at the graduate level of study. This can be at the masters (M.A.T, M.Ed, MSc), education specialist (EDS), or doctoral (PhD) degree program levels of study. I.e. assessment master degree or evaluation master degree. Evaluation degree programs go by different names, for example:
- Master of Education in Curriculum Assessment
- Master of Education in Measurement and Evaluation
- Master of Education in Educational Assessment, Evaluation, and Research
- M.Ed in Educational Assessment, Testing, and Measurement
- PhD in Educational Assessment, Testing, and Measurement
Depending on the program of study, assessment, testing and evaluation courses may include:
- Educational assessment research methods
- Psychology of instruction
- Curriculum leadership
- Instructional strategies
- Educational technology
- Curriculum methods
Research design and methodology course are also likely to constitute your program of study. Course might include: Research design, action research, qualitative methods, qualitative methods, mixed methods, study design, and statistics.
Areas of study with an online evaluation degree also include educational statistics, psychometric testing, test and assessment design, curriculum development, test construction, and data processing, data analysis, testing software, and research procedures. Educational measurement programs might also cover program evaluation techniques and proctoring strategies.
Assessment, Measurement and Evaluation Careers
The necessary skills in assessment and evaluation are research and curriculum development skills, needs assessment research, and data interpretation to evaluate student progress. In addition, assessment and evaluation experts may be responsible for defining program assessment criteria, create unit plans and lesson plans which support critical thinking and higher order skills, as well as designing learning strategies.
Graduates work in education departments, K-12 schools, and assessment and testing companies where they work with groups of students or individuals. Others work as consultants with organizations in order to create internal evaluation systems. They work on developing methods of assessing and increasing student achievement. In addition they are responsible for conducting research, collecting and interpreting data for the purposes of tracking a program’s effectiveness.
Evaluation and assessment experts may assess curricula and propose strategies for improvement. Other assessment and testing professionals work on developing standardized tests and certification programs or standardized test. Another option is to work in research, or course evaluation. Some businesses also hire assessment and evaluation professionals for training, hiring, and productivity checks. Other areas of employment are program monitoring and evaluation and psychometrics.
Education and Teaching Graduate Programs
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.S. in Early Childhood
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- And more...
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Administration
- And more...
- Education programs include BA in Education Studies, BA in Child Development, and MA in Education.
- Students can specialize in areas such as Education and Public Policy, Instructional Design, and Early Childhood Education.
- Courses cover concepts such as phonics, curriculum development, instruction for English language learners, and more.
- Flexible, online courses allow students to pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- BA/Education Studies
- MA/Education - No Specialization
- BA/Library Science and Media
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
- One of the first fully online M.Ed. programs to be accredited by TEAC (Teacher Education Accreditation Council)
- Courses within 6 distinct education specializations use real-world deliverables aligned with industry-specific objectives
- Specializations include elementary education, secondary education instructional design and technology and more
- AIU’s M.Ed. uses a proprietary adaptive learning engine to provide individualized content delivery not available at this scale in other online programs at this time.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Secondary Education
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Elementary Education
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Common Core State Standards Instructional Leader
- M.Ed. in Career and Technical Education
- And more...
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) recently received state approval to enroll students with little to no prior college experience. To help ensure student success, the university has created a program especially for these students who plan on starting their college experience for the first time with us.
- The first and only 100% online, fully accredited public university in the United States
- No set class times or locations
- Affordable tuition, guaranteed not to increase as long as you are enrolled
- Accelerated eight-week terms
- Classes start every month
- MS - Teaching and Learning
- M.Ed. Curriculum Instr - Special Ed
- M.Ed. Curriculum Instr - Technology
- M.Ed. Curr & Ins - Dyslexia Studies & LBLD
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science: Education
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
- And more...
- Early Childhood Education