A graphic design degrees may be for you if you are artistically gifted and creative. There are various avenues that one can pursue in the art and design profession. If you aspire to work in a creative and technologically-advanced facility as part of a team of editors and designers in broadcast design, digital design, film, video, animation, you might consider looking into a graphic design program. Graphic designers work with sound and visual effect, both on the screen and in computing. Online Web designers also work in multimedia development and production. In many ways they are communication experts because they communicate information via words, video, graphics. This is all in the field of visual communications. To get to that point, you will need to work on a degree in that area in addition to your talent and relevant professional experience.
Graphic Design Education and Training
Online graphic design degree programs and related online web design programs are available in the programs listed above. When doing your research you to look at each of the programs to make sure that each will lead you to the career path you desire. The program is often offered as part of the bachelor of fine arts (BFA) at the undergraduate level and as a master of fine art (MFA) at the graduate level.
One important thing to look for is the hand-on experience in addition to learning the theory side. One advantage of many of these programs is that you can take on web design for example web animation, motion graphics, e-commerce site development, Flash media design etc. Graphic design courses in the curriculum might include:
- Digital Imaging
- Web Design
- Information Design
- Visual Design Principles
- Visual Design Theory
- Digital Video
Online graphic design courses may include, 3-D design, illustration, game design, architectural design, 2-D design, and web design. Students may also take courses in branding, marketing, advertising, public relations, or communications, depending on the area that you wish to specialize in.
Graphic Design Careers
Graphic design work with color, layout, fonts, graphics and images as well as other visual elements to communicate ideas, information, and news. Graphic designers influence how we visually perceive the world. They design company logos, signs, magazine layouts, product packaging, Web pages, etc.
The skills necessary for a successful graphic design career include artistic skills, communication skills, technical skills, and organizational skills. These are skills you will learn in an online graphic design degree program. About 25% of graphic designers are self-employed and while others who have full time jobs also also do freelance work.
Some professionals with an online graphic design degree work for magazines, book publishers, advertising firms, public relations firms, newspapers, Internet companies, e-commerce companies, television and movie production companies, to mention a few possible employers. With a graphic design masters degree you would generally work in management positions.
Graphic Design Programs
- Online and Bachelor's programs include B.S. in Advertising, B.S. in Web Design, B.A. in Interior Design, and more
- Curriculum focus on preparing students for a creative career by teaching them the fundamentals of advertising and design
- Students can choose from courses that cover areas such as advertising concepts, art direction, experience design, and online marketing
- Over 50 locations nationwide, with a student support team dedicated to helping students grow
- Graphic Design (AS)
- Game Art & Design (BFA)
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Web Design & Development
- Campus-based and online degrees include Computer Animation (BS), Digital Arts and Design (BS), Graphic Design (BS), and more
- Students take ongoing portfolio courses that allow them to build and refine their design portfolio
- Courses teach skills such as advertising, branding, visual messaging, and concept design
- Curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement
- Graphic Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Game Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Game Art, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Fine Arts: Graphic Design
- Bachelor of Arts in Graphic Design and Media Arts with concentration in 3-D
- BA Graphic Design and Media Arts
- BA Graphic Design and Media Arts with concentration in Web Design
- And more...
- Video Game Design
- Floral Design