An information systems degree prepares students to seek employment in many kinds of industries and businesses that include banking and finance, governments, libraries and schools, government and other areas. Information systems is an important part of any business or industry that seeks to attain its their strategic goals. Education and experience in information systems provides information systems professionals with the skills and knowledge necessary to meet these goals. Computer information systems (CIS) or information systems (IS) professionals are very vital in the current global economy. Their responsibilities include designing and managing systems that collect, store, process, analyze, and distribute information. This addresses a central role in just about all industries today. They visualize, analyze, and model systems used in strategic planning and decision-making. They also make information accessible and meaningful to scientists, planners, and other decision-makers.
Information Systems Education and Training
You can earn your online information systems degree at both the undergraduate and graduate degree level. I.e. an information systems bachelor degree or an information system masters degree. At both levels, many students chose to simultaneously earn another degree such as a business bachelor degree, an MBA, or a management information systems degree. This helps the graduates earn credentials in business and technology that are desired by many employers.
Computer information systems courses generally consist of computer programming classes in areas such as C++, Java, SQL etc, database query and programming languages, networking, communications, etc. Some online information systems degree programs also offer courses is typically comprised of networking, communications), and systems development and analysis. Some computer information systems programs also offer training in vendor and proprietary platforms such as Microsoft, Sun, Cisco, Microsoft, and Oracle.
Information Systems Careers
An information systems management degree leads to many career options. Some areas that graduates choose to work in are information technology management and library information systems. Other careers are computer systems analysts, network systems analysts, and network and computer systems administrators.
Some top employers include software publishers, data processing services, insurance and banking, etc. Top paying fields within online information systems degree preparation include securities and commodities, telecommunications, and finance and banking. Depending on one’s training and experience, some positions might include:
- Information systems manager
- Software engineer
- Chief technology officer (CTO)
- Systems analyst
- Technology support specialist
- Computer forensics specialist
- Enterprise Computing
- Web programmer/developer
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects that these areas within online information systems degree programs will continue to experience growth. The employment of computer and information systems managers is expected to grow 17% between 2008 and 2018. Some projected areas of growth are:
- Network and computer system administrator: 13%
- Computer systems analyst: 29%
- Network systems analysis â€“ 37%
As reported by the BLS, the income for computer and information systems managers in 2008 was $112,210. The middle 50% earned between $88,240 and $141,890. Computer and information scientists in the research area earn a median salary of about $98,000. Network systems analysts earned over $68,000 while network administrators make about $65,000 a year.
Information Systems Programs
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Computer Science - Networking and Information Systems Security (BS)
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- BS in Business Administration - Information Systems Management
- AAS in Business Administration - Information Processing
- BSIT - Information Management
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Bachelor of Science in Management Information Systems
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology Management
- Associate of Science in Information Technology
- Master of Professional Studies in Cybersecurity Management
- Master of Professional Studies in Information Technology Management
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Cyber and Network Security - Bachelor's
- Network Security - Associate's
- IT Management - Bachelor's
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Master of Science in Technology and Innovation Management (MSTIM) Information Systems
- Doctor of Philosophy in Technology and Innovation Management (PhD-TIM) Information Systems
- Applied Computer Science - BBA
- And more...
- Computer and Network Technician (11-month diploma program)
- Network Security
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in Stevens-Henager College is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Networking and Information Systems Security (BS)
Claremont Graduate University (CGU) has been awarding master’s and doctoral degrees for nearly 100 years. Through our new online learning format, CGU’s specialized master’s degree programs and world renowned faculty are now accessible to a broader community of students seeking a rigorous and relevant graduate degree.
- Masters of Science in Evaluation & Applied Research