An information systems degree prepares students to seek employment in many kinds of industries and businesses that include banking and finance, governments, libraries and schools, government and other areas. Information systems is an important part of any business or industry that seeks to attain its their strategic goals. Education and experience in information systems provides information systems professionals with the skills and knowledge necessary to meet these goals. Computer information systems (CIS) or information systems (IS) professionals are very vital in the current global economy. Their responsibilities include designing and managing systems that collect, store, process, analyze, and distribute information. This addresses a central role in just about all industries today. They visualize, analyze, and model systems used in strategic planning and decision-making. They also make information accessible and meaningful to scientists, planners, and other decision-makers.
Information Systems Education and Training
You can earn your online information systems degree at both the undergraduate and graduate degree level. I.e. an information systems bachelor degree or an information system masters degree. At both levels, many students chose to simultaneously earn another degree such as a business bachelor degree, an MBA, or a management information systems degree. This helps the graduates earn credentials in business and technology that are desired by many employers.
Computer information systems courses generally consist of computer programming classes in areas such as C++, Java, SQL etc, database query and programming languages, networking, communications, etc. Some online information systems degree programs also offer courses is typically comprised of networking, communications), and systems development and analysis. Some computer information systems programs also offer training in vendor and proprietary platforms such as Microsoft, Sun, Cisco, Microsoft, and Oracle.
Information Systems Careers
An information systems management degree leads to many career options. Some areas that graduates choose to work in are information technology management and library information systems. Other careers are computer systems analysts, network systems analysts, and network and computer systems administrators.
Some top employers include software publishers, data processing services, insurance and banking, etc. Top paying fields within online information systems degree preparation include securities and commodities, telecommunications, and finance and banking. Depending on one’s training and experience, some positions might include:
- Information systems manager
- Software engineer
- Chief technology officer (CTO)
- Systems analyst
- Technology support specialist
- Computer forensics specialist
- Enterprise Computing
- Web programmer/developer
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects that these areas within online information systems degree programs will continue to experience growth. The employment of computer and information systems managers is expected to grow 17% between 2008 and 2018. Some projected areas of growth are:
- Network and computer system administrator: 13%
- Computer systems analyst: 29%
- Network systems analysis â€“ 37%
As reported by the BLS, the income for computer and information systems managers in 2008 was $112,210. The middle 50% earned between $88,240 and $141,890. Computer and information scientists in the research area earn a median salary of about $98,000. Network systems analysts earned over $68,000 while network administrators make about $65,000 a year.
Information Systems Programs
- Join the competitive technology field with a degree from GCU!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Our innovative coursework and curriculum is designed to create a highly skilled and technical workforce.
- Designed to promote adaptability, collaboration, creativity, as well as ethical and social awareness.
- Our fulltime faculty is dedicated to helping you become a global STEM professional.
- B.S. in Business Information Systems
- B.S. in Applied Business Information Systems
- B.S. in Information Technology
- Online Master’s in IT was ranked among the Best Online Programs in 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Offers several bachelor’s degree programs, including Cyber Security, Information Systems Management, and Information Technology
- Students study core concepts such as programming, system administration, security, and databases
- Concentrations in Information Technology include IT Security, Network Management, Web Development, and more
- Doctor of Computer Science - Enterprise Information Systems (Executive Format)
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Security
- Master of Science in Management - Information Systems Security
- And more...
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Cyber and Network Security - Bachelor's
- Network Security - Associate's
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Associate of Arts in Information Systems Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Information Systems Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Information Systems Technology - General
- And more...
- View Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Programs in Business Near YOU!
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements. Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs for You.
- Free information for Business Administration and Management, Accounting, Marketing and Advertising, Business Information Systems Degree Programs and MORE.
- Accredited, Flexible Business Administration and Management Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!