An information systems degree prepares students to seek employment in many kinds of industries and businesses that include banking and finance, governments, libraries and schools, government and other areas. Information systems is an important part of any business or industry that seeks to attain its their strategic goals. Education and experience in information systems provides information systems professionals with the skills and knowledge necessary to meet these goals. Computer information systems (CIS) or information systems (IS) professionals are very vital in the current global economy. Their responsibilities include designing and managing systems that collect, store, process, analyze, and distribute information. This addresses a central role in just about all industries today. They visualize, analyze, and model systems used in strategic planning and decision-making. They also make information accessible and meaningful to scientists, planners, and other decision-makers.
Information Systems Education and Training
You can earn your online information systems degree at both the undergraduate and graduate degree level. I.e. an information systems bachelor degree or an information system masters degree. At both levels, many students chose to simultaneously earn another degree such as a business bachelor degree, an MBA, or a management information systems degree. This helps the graduates earn credentials in business and technology that are desired by many employers.
Computer information systems courses generally consist of computer programming classes in areas such as C++, Java, SQL etc, database query and programming languages, networking, communications, etc. Some online information systems degree programs also offer courses is typically comprised of networking, communications), and systems development and analysis. Some computer information systems programs also offer training in vendor and proprietary platforms such as Microsoft, Sun, Cisco, Microsoft, and Oracle.
Information Systems Careers
An information systems management degree leads to many career options. Some areas that graduates choose to work in are information technology management and library information systems. Other careers are computer systems analysts, network systems analysts, and network and computer systems administrators.
Some top employers include software publishers, data processing services, insurance and banking, etc. Top paying fields within online information systems degree preparation include securities and commodities, telecommunications, and finance and banking. Depending on one’s training and experience, some positions might include:
- Information systems manager
- Software engineer
- Chief technology officer (CTO)
- Systems analyst
- Technology support specialist
- Computer forensics specialist
- Enterprise Computing
- Web programmer/developer
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects that these areas within online information systems degree programs will continue to experience growth. The employment of computer and information systems managers is expected to grow 17% between 2008 and 2018. Some projected areas of growth are:
- Network and computer system administrator: 13%
- Computer systems analyst: 29%
- Network systems analysis â€“ 37%
As reported by the BLS, the income for computer and information systems managers in 2008 was $112,210. The middle 50% earned between $88,240 and $141,890. Computer and information scientists in the research area earn a median salary of about $98,000. Network systems analysts earned over $68,000 while network administrators make about $65,000 a year.
Information Systems Programs
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Business Information Systems
- B.S. in Applied Business Information Systems
- B.S. in Information Technology
- Flexible, 100% online programs offered include Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Master of Science in Cybersecurity Management, and more.
- Courses designed to keep students updated on the constantly changing world of information technology.
- Career-focused programs taught by experienced professionals help students develop real-world programming skills.
- AAS in Business Administration - Information Processing
- BS in Business Administration - Information Systems Management
- BSIT - Information Management
- And more...
- Flexible, 100% online BA in Business Information Systems degree program offered.
- Students can prepare to pursue a career as a systems trainer, support specialist, or business analyst.
- Coursework focuses on subjects like database management, systems analysis, and technology planning.
- Students can learn how to design, develop, implement, and troubleshoot information systems.
- BA/Public Relations and Marketing - Information Systems
- BA/Sports and Recreation Management - Information Systems
- BA/Business Information Systems
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Computer Science - Enterprise Information Systems (Executive Format)
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Security
- Master of Science in Management - Information Systems Security
- And more...
- Bachelor’s program options include Cybersecurity, Information Systems Technology, Computer Science, and more.
- A BAS in Information Systems Technology is also available for students who already hold an A.A.S degree.
- Regent University’s tech programs are designed to prepare students for careers in Software Development and Engineering, Computer Information Security, Network Administration, and more.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Associate of Arts in Information Systems Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Information Systems Technology
- Bachelor of Science in Information Systems Technology - General
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (MIT) - IT Project Management
- Bachelor's (BIT) - Information Assurance and Security
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- And more...
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
- Information Systems - Master's
- Cyber and Network Security - Bachelor's
- Network Security - Associate's
- And more...
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Business Administration - Information Technology Leadership
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Applied Computer Science - MBA
- Computer & Information Security - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Management Information Systems - D.B.A.
- And more...
Grantham University's 100% accredited online degrees are convenient, portable and designed so you can fit education into your life instead of arranging life around your education.
- Master of Business Administration - Information Management
- Bachelor of Science in Information Systems Security
- Master of Science in Information Management Technology
- And more...