An information systems degree prepares students to seek employment in many kinds of industries and businesses that include banking and finance, governments, libraries and schools, government and other areas. Information systems is an important part of any business or industry that seeks to attain its their strategic goals. Education and experience in information systems provides information systems professionals with the skills and knowledge necessary to meet these goals. Computer information systems (CIS) or information systems (IS) professionals are very vital in the current global economy. Their responsibilities include designing and managing systems that collect, store, process, analyze, and distribute information. This addresses a central role in just about all industries today. They visualize, analyze, and model systems used in strategic planning and decision-making. They also make information accessible and meaningful to scientists, planners, and other decision-makers.
Information Systems Education and Training
You can earn your online information systems degree at both the undergraduate and graduate degree level. I.e. an information systems bachelor degree or an information system masters degree. At both levels, many students chose to simultaneously earn another degree such as a business bachelor degree, an MBA, or a management information systems degree. This helps the graduates earn credentials in business and technology that are desired by many employers.
Computer information systems courses generally consist of computer programming classes in areas such as C++, Java, SQL etc, database query and programming languages, networking, communications, etc. Some online information systems degree programs also offer courses is typically comprised of networking, communications), and systems development and analysis. Some computer information systems programs also offer training in vendor and proprietary platforms such as Microsoft, Sun, Cisco, Microsoft, and Oracle.
Information Systems Careers
An information systems management degree leads to many career options. Some areas that graduates choose to work in are information technology management and library information systems. Other careers are computer systems analysts, network systems analysts, and network and computer systems administrators.
Some top employers include software publishers, data processing services, insurance and banking, etc. Top paying fields within online information systems degree preparation include securities and commodities, telecommunications, and finance and banking. Depending on one’s training and experience, some positions might include:
- Information systems manager
- Software engineer
- Chief technology officer (CTO)
- Systems analyst
- Technology support specialist
- Computer forensics specialist
- Enterprise Computing
- Web programmer/developer
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects that these areas within online information systems degree programs will continue to experience growth. The employment of computer and information systems managers is expected to grow 17% between 2008 and 2018. Some projected areas of growth are:
- Network and computer system administrator: 13%
- Computer systems analyst: 29%
- Network systems analysis â€“ 37%
As reported by the BLS, the income for computer and information systems managers in 2008 was $112,210. The middle 50% earned between $88,240 and $141,890. Computer and information scientists in the research area earn a median salary of about $98,000. Network systems analysts earned over $68,000 while network administrators make about $65,000 a year.
Information Systems Programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems
- B.S. in Management / Computer Information Systems
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems / Computer Networking
- Gain the skills and experience you need to excel in the fields of science & mathematics
- Choose from a wide range of degree options including Biomedical, Fire Science & more
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked as a top school in the nation by the Military Times Best for Vets Colleges
- Master of Science in Information Security
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - Information Security Management
- Bachelor of Science in Management Information Systems
- And more...
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- BS in Business Administration - Information Systems Management
- AAS in Business Administration - Information Processing
- BSIT - Information Management
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- D.B.A. - Information Systems Management
- Ph.D. in Management - Information Systems Management
- Online Master’s in IT was ranked among the Best Online Programs in 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Offers several bachelor’s degree programs, including Cyber Security, Information Systems Management, and Information Technology
- Students study core concepts such as programming, system administration, security, and databases
- Concentrations in Information Technology include IT Security, Network Management, Web Development, and more
- Doctor of Computer Science - Enterprise Information Systems (Executive Format)
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Security
- Master of Science in Management - Information Systems Security
- And more...
- ECPI’s programs keep you ahead of curve in today’s fast-growing tech industry
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Choose from programs in Cybersecurity, Cloud Computing, Engineering & more
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Cyber and Network Security - Bachelor's
- Network Security - Associate's
- Cloud Computing - Bachelor's
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- BS: Information Systems
- MS in Information Systems -Technology Management
- Doctor of Business Administration in Information Systems
- And more...
- Doctorate of Business Administration in Information Systems and Enterprise Resource Management (DBAISERM)
- Master of Business Administration Information Systems and Knowledge Management (MBAISKM)
- Bachelor of Science in Management Information Systems (BSMIS)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Applied Computer Science - MBA
- Computer & Information Security - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Management Information Systems - D.B.A.
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology
- Associate of Science in Information Technology