An information systems degree prepares students to seek employment in many kinds of industries and businesses that include banking and finance, governments, libraries and schools, government and other areas. Information systems is an important part of any business or industry that seeks to attain its their strategic goals. Education and experience in information systems provides information systems professionals with the skills and knowledge necessary to meet these goals. Computer information systems (CIS) or information systems (IS) professionals are very vital in the current global economy. Their responsibilities include designing and managing systems that collect, store, process, analyze, and distribute information. This addresses a central role in just about all industries today. They visualize, analyze, and model systems used in strategic planning and decision-making. They also make information accessible and meaningful to scientists, planners, and other decision-makers.
Information Systems Education and Training
You can earn your online information systems degree at both the undergraduate and graduate degree level. I.e. an information systems bachelor degree or an information system masters degree. At both levels, many students chose to simultaneously earn another degree such as a business bachelor degree, an MBA, or a management information systems degree. This helps the graduates earn credentials in business and technology that are desired by many employers.
Computer information systems courses generally consist of computer programming classes in areas such as C++, Java, SQL etc, database query and programming languages, networking, communications, etc. Some online information systems degree programs also offer courses is typically comprised of networking, communications), and systems development and analysis. Some computer information systems programs also offer training in vendor and proprietary platforms such as Microsoft, Sun, Cisco, Microsoft, and Oracle.
Information Systems Careers
An information systems management degree leads to many career options. Some areas that graduates choose to work in are information technology management and library information systems. Other careers are computer systems analysts, network systems analysts, and network and computer systems administrators.
Some top employers include software publishers, data processing services, insurance and banking, etc. Top paying fields within online information systems degree preparation include securities and commodities, telecommunications, and finance and banking. Depending on one’s training and experience, some positions might include:
- Information systems manager
- Software engineer
- Chief technology officer (CTO)
- Systems analyst
- Technology support specialist
- Computer forensics specialist
- Enterprise Computing
- Web programmer/developer
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects that these areas within online information systems degree programs will continue to experience growth. The employment of computer and information systems managers is expected to grow 17% between 2008 and 2018. Some projected areas of growth are:
- Network and computer system administrator: 13%
- Computer systems analyst: 29%
- Network systems analysis â€“ 37%
As reported by the BLS, the income for computer and information systems managers in 2008 was $112,210. The middle 50% earned between $88,240 and $141,890. Computer and information scientists in the research area earn a median salary of about $98,000. Network systems analysts earned over $68,000 while network administrators make about $65,000 a year.
Information Systems Programs
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Business Information Systems
- B.S. in Applied Business Information Systems
- B.S. in Information Technology
- Flexible, 100% online programs offered include Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Master of Science in Cybersecurity Management, and more.
- Courses designed to keep students updated on the constantly changing world of information technology.
- Career-focused programs taught by experienced professionals help students develop real-world programming skills.
- BSIT - Information Management
- AAS in Business Administration - Information Processing
- BS in Business Administration - Information Systems Management
- And more...
- Online Master’s in IT was ranked among the Best Online Programs in 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Offers several bachelor’s degree programs, including Cyber Security, Information Systems Management, and Information Technology
- Students study core concepts such as programming, system administration, security, and databases
- Concentrations in Information Technology include IT Security, Network Management, Web Development, and more
- Doctor of Computer Science - Enterprise Information Systems (Executive Format)
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Security
- Master of Science in Management - Information Systems Security
- And more...
- Enhance organizational performance and create effective traditional and virtual teams through motivation, organizational culture, and change management.
- Address the legal and ethical implications of human resources and administration in an organizational setting.
- Analyze business policy and strategy in relationship to competitors.
- Resolve conflict by utilizing various management styles and best practices.
- Understand employment and compensation requirements including insurance, salary, labor, health, and safety.
- Bachelors in Management Information Systems and Business Analytics
- Master - Information Technology Management
- Bachelors in Information Technology
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (MIT) - IT Project Management
- Bachelor's (BIT) - Information Assurance and Security
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration: Information Systems Management
- Associate of Applied Science in Business Administration : Information Processing
- Master of Science in Information Technology : Project Management
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Applied Computer Science - MBA
- Computer & Information Security - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Management Information Systems - D.B.A.
- And more...
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
At Baker College, you’ll have the opportunity to choose between an on campus education or an online education, depending on what works best for you and for your schedule. Our ground campuses are located across Michigan and one campus in Reading, Pennsylvania.
- Information Systems - Bachelor
- Information Systems - MSIS (Master's)
- Information Technology and Security - Bachelor
- And more...
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
- Cyber and Network Security - Bachelor's
- Network Security - Associate's
- IT Management - Bachelor's
- And more...
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.