Are you exploring instructional design degrees? Other names that the degrees go by are educational technology, instructional technology, e-learning development, and curriculum development. Before proceeding with distance education, it is important to examine a few important points, such as: 1) The advantages and disadvantages of online distance education; 2) The types of learners who are successful in online distance education programs; and 3) Locating credible and accredited colleges and universities. Online instructional design programs use emerging technologies such as e-learning to enhance education.
Instructional Design and Technology Training and Education
When pursuing the program, seek out distance learning that not only adds technology to instruction but also those that utilize technology to advance potentially new approaches to the teaching and learning process. Provided here is summary information. In other sections of this site, e-learning and instructional design principles and foundations are discussed. Please contact individual schools that you may be interested in for in-depth information regarding programs options in instructional design masters and instructional design PhD degree offerings.
Different schools use different names for their online instructional design degrees and program. For example: Computer Education, Educational Multimedia, Educational Technology, Instructional Design and Development, Instructional Technology, Instructional Systems, Instructional Systems Technology, Instructional Design, Development and Evaluation, Instructional Design and Technology, Instructional and Performance Technology, Learning Technologies. Closely related to degrees in instructional design is Adult Education and Training and Performance Improvement degrees and concentrations.
Education doctorates are specifically designed to train you in teaching, instructional design, curricula development, and educational leadership. Education is dynamic and constantly changing, and it benefits from innovative technologies, new approaches, and breakthrough methodologies. This is why doctorate research plays such a crucial role in the wider world of pedagogy. Good online instructional design degrees ensure that that aspect is built into their programs.
Instructional Design Courses
Typical programs include master of distance education, teaching online specializations, instructional design for online learning, master of education in the learning, plus many more. Courses may include:
- Instructional Design Theories
- Instructional Design Foundations
- Needs Assessment
- Learner Analysis
This of course will depend on the individual program and the focus or specialization of the actual program.
Instructional Design Careers
Instructional technologists work in the private sector, as corporate training specialists. In addition, the fields of businesses and health care employ instructional technologists to train personnel in the latest developments in their field.
Graduates of instructional design and technology degree programs can also work in many fields such as teaching, educational administration, and curriculum development. Job titles include:
- Instructional systems designer
- Instructional project manager
- Technical instructional designer
- Elearning specialist
- Senior instructional designer
Instructional Design and Related Programs
At Post University, we believe you shouldn’t have to put your life on hold to further your education. That’s why we offer a wide range of quality Certificate, Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in a highly interactive online format that emphasizes flexibility, convenience, and support. Whichever program you choose, you can take classes in 8-week modules, six times a year from faculty members with advanced degrees and extensive real-world experience. You’ll also enjoy access to a full array of academic support services, including advising, tutoring, writing center assistance, and our virtual library at no additional charge.
- B.S. in Instructional Design and Technology
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Submit the form on the right to learn how you can make a change and advance your career.
- Ph.D. in Education - Mixed-Model - Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment
- Ed.S. in Curriculum, Instruction and Professional Development
- Ph.D. in Education - Course-based - Learning, Instruction, and Innovation
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- Master of Science in Instructional Technology (K-12)
- MS in Education in Instructional Technology - Adult Learning-Organizations
- And more...
An accredited online university, Capella University offers bachelor’s, master’s/MBA, doctoral, and certificate programs designed to take you to the forefront of your profession. Our competency-based curriculum delivers foundational knowledge and real-world skills, so what you’re learning is immediately applicable to your career. We serve more than 36,000 students from the U.S. and around the world and offer more than 140 graduate and undergraduate specializations and 20 certificate programs.
- PhD - Instructional Design for Online Learning
- MS - Instructional Design for Online Learning
- EdS - Curriculum and Instruction
- And more...
- Specialized, industry-current knowledge and skills for goal-oriented professionals.
- Curricula based upon complex, real-world situations that can challenge you to organize, research and solve problems.
- Innovative programs designed to help you maximize your current knowledge and fast track the pace of your achievements.
- Supportive community of students, educators, mentors and successful professionals ready to welcome you. Are You In?
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
LeTourneau University is an interdenominational Christ-centered university offering more than 80 programs that prepare students for success in areas including the arts and sciences, aviation, business, education and engineering. Graduate degree offerings include business, education, engineering and psychology.
- Master of Education - Curriculum and Instruction Specialization (M. Ed.)
- Master of Education - Teaching and Learning Specialization (M. Ed.)
As the largest private university in North America, University of Phoenix has locations nationwide, and is available online in most countries around the world. Whether you're seeking a college degree at an associate's, bachelor's, master's, or doctoral level, we can help you reach your academic goal and sooner than you might think.
- Doctor of Education/Curriculum and Instruction
- Doctor of Education in Ed. Leadership/Educational Technology
- Master of Arts in Education/Curriculum and Instruction
- And more...
Brandman University, part of the prestigious 150-year-old Chapman University system is a private, non-profit regionally accredited university that offers a high quality education for non-traditional adult students.
At Brandman University, students can choose from over 50 undergraduate, graduate, credential and certificate programs in Arts and Sciences, Business and Professional Studies, Education and Nursing and Health professions.
- MA in Education (Curriculum and Instruction Emphasis)
- MA in Education (Instructional Technology 21st Century Learner)
- MA in Education (Teaching and Learning Emphasis)
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology