Are you exploring instructional design degrees? Other names that the degrees go by are educational technology, instructional technology, e-learning development, and curriculum development. Before proceeding with distance education, it is important to examine a few important points, such as: 1) The advantages and disadvantages of online distance education; 2) The types of learners who are successful in online distance education programs; and 3) Locating credible and accredited colleges and universities. Online instructional design programs use emerging technologies such as e-learning to enhance education.
Instructional Design and Technology Training and Education
When pursuing the program, seek out distance learning that not only adds technology to instruction but also those that utilize technology to advance potentially new approaches to the teaching and learning process. Provided here is summary information. In other sections of this site, e-learning and instructional design principles and foundations are discussed. Please contact individual schools that you may be interested in for in-depth information regarding programs options in instructional design masters and instructional design PhD degree offerings.
Different schools use different names for their online instructional design degrees and program. For example: Computer Education, Educational Multimedia, Educational Technology, Instructional Design and Development, Instructional Technology, Instructional Systems, Instructional Systems Technology, Instructional Design, Development and Evaluation, Instructional Design and Technology, Instructional and Performance Technology, Learning Technologies. Closely related to degrees in instructional design is Adult Education and Training and Performance Improvement degrees and concentrations.
Education doctorates are specifically designed to train you in teaching, instructional design, curricula development, and educational leadership. Education is dynamic and constantly changing, and it benefits from innovative technologies, new approaches, and breakthrough methodologies. This is why doctorate research plays such a crucial role in the wider world of pedagogy. Good online instructional design degrees ensure that that aspect is built into their programs.
Instructional Design Courses
Typical programs include master of distance education, teaching online specializations, instructional design for online learning, master of education in the learning, plus many more. Courses may include: Instructional DEsign Theories, Instructional Design Foundations, Needs Assessment, Learner Analysis and more. This of course will depend on the individual program and the focus or specialization of the degree program.
Instructional Design Careers
Instructional technologists work in the private sector, as corporate training specialists. In addition, the fields of businesses and health care employ instructional technologists to train personnel in the latest developments in their field.
Graduates of instructional design and technology degree programs can also work in many fields such as teaching, educational administration, and curriculum development. Job titles include: instructional systems designer, instructional project manager, technical instructional designer, elearning specialist, and senior instructional designer.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics the incomes of graduates of campus and online instructional design degrees vary depending on the specific job title. The average salary for instructional designer jobs is $59,000 according to simplyhired.com. Curriculum designers earn a median salary of about $60,000 while corporate trainers earn around $92,000 a year. Teachers average about $53,000 annually while school administrators make over $82,000.
Instructional Design and Related Programs
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, , and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Instructional Technology (K-12)
- MS in Education in Instructional Technology - Adult Learning-Organizations
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
- Grand Canyon University - Where a Quality Education and Faith Coexist
- Recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- We support students through their academic and spiritual journey.
- GCU offers the convenience of online, on-campus, or evening programs.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Teacher Leadership
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Career and Technical Education (CTE)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Methods & Curriculum
- And more...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- PhD in Instructional Design and Technology
- Education Specialist in Instructional Design and Technology
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Curriculum and Teaching - Master of Education
- Instructional Leadership - PhD in Education
- Instructional Leadership - Doctor of Education
- And more...
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- M. Ed. in Teaching & Learning in Education Technology
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- M.Ed. - Teaching and Learning
- And more...