Are you exploring instructional design degrees? Other names that the degrees go by are educational technology, instructional technology, e-learning development, and curriculum development. Before proceeding with distance education, it is important to examine a few important points, such as: 1) The advantages and disadvantages of online distance education; 2) The types of learners who are successful in online distance education programs; and 3) Locating credible and accredited colleges and universities. Online instructional design programs use emerging technologies such as e-learning to enhance education.
Instructional Design and Technology Training and Education
When pursuing the program, seek out distance learning that not only adds technology to instruction but also those that utilize technology to advance potentially new approaches to the teaching and learning process. Provided here is summary information. In other sections of this site, e-learning and instructional design principles and foundations are discussed. Please contact individual schools that you may be interested in for in-depth information regarding programs options in instructional design masters and instructional design PhD degree offerings.
Different schools use different names for their online instructional design degrees and program. For example: Computer Education, Educational Multimedia, Educational Technology, Instructional Design and Development, Instructional Technology, Instructional Systems, Instructional Systems Technology, Instructional Design, Development and Evaluation, Instructional Design and Technology, Instructional and Performance Technology, Learning Technologies. Closely related to degrees in instructional design is Adult Education and Training and Performance Improvement degrees and concentrations.
Education doctorates are specifically designed to train you in teaching, instructional design, curricula development, and educational leadership. Education is dynamic and constantly changing, and it benefits from innovative technologies, new approaches, and breakthrough methodologies. This is why doctorate research plays such a crucial role in the wider world of pedagogy. Good online instructional design degrees ensure that that aspect is built into their programs.
Instructional Design Courses
Typical programs include master of distance education, teaching online specializations, instructional design for online learning, master of education in the learning, plus many more. Courses may include: Instructional DEsign Theories, Instructional Design Foundations, Needs Assessment, Learner Analysis and more. This of course will depend on the individual program and the focus or specialization of the degree program.
Instructional Design Careers
Instructional technologists work in the private sector, as corporate training specialists. In addition, the fields of businesses and health care employ instructional technologists to train personnel in the latest developments in their field.
Graduates of instructional design and technology degree programs can also work in many fields such as teaching, educational administration, and curriculum development. Job titles include: instructional systems designer, instructional project manager, technical instructional designer, elearning specialist, and senior instructional designer.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics the incomes of graduates of campus and online instructional design degrees vary depending on the specific job title. The average salary for instructional designer jobs is $59,000 according to simplyhired.com. Curriculum designers earn a median salary of about $60,000 while corporate trainers earn around $92,000 a year. Teachers average about $53,000 annually while school administrators make over $82,000.
Instructional Design and Related Programs
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- One of the first fully online M.Ed. programs to be accredited by TEAC (Teacher Education Accreditation Council)
- Courses within 6 distinct education specializations use real-world deliverables aligned with industry-specific objectives
- Specializations include elementary education, secondary education instructional design and technology and more
- AIU’s M.Ed. uses a proprietary adaptive learning engine to provide individualized content delivery not available at this scale in other online programs at this time.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
- Want to be a Teacher or Educational Administrator? Learn why GCU could be the best place to start! Here's why:
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate education programs, including TESOL, early childhood ed, elementary ed, secondary ed & more.
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both. We also offer evening classes!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Financial Options: Numerous financing options available, including scholarships for academic achievement.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Career and Technical Education (CTE)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Methods & Curriculum
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- MS in Instructional Technology (K-12)
- MS in Instructional Design and Technology - Adults
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Education Specialist in Instructional Design and Technology
- PhD in Instructional Design and Technology
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Curriculum and Teaching - Master of Education
- Curriculum and Teaching - Doctor of Education
- Curriculum and Teaching - PhD in Education
- And more...
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
At Baker College, you’ll have the opportunity to choose between an on campus education or an online education, depending on what works best for you and for your schedule. Our ground campuses are located across Michigan and one campus in Reading, Pennsylvania.
- Educational Leadership: K-12 - MSEE (Master's)