Are you exploring instructional design degrees? Other names that the degrees go by are educational technology, instructional technology, e-learning development, and curriculum development. Before proceeding with distance education, it is important to examine a few important points, such as: 1) The advantages and disadvantages of online distance education; 2) The types of learners who are successful in online distance education programs; and 3) Locating credible and accredited colleges and universities. Online instructional design programs use emerging technologies such as e-learning to enhance education.
Instructional Design and Technology Training and Education
When pursuing the program, seek out distance learning that not only adds technology to instruction but also those that utilize technology to advance potentially new approaches to the teaching and learning process. Provided here is summary information. In other sections of this site, e-learning and instructional design principles and foundations are discussed. Please contact individual schools that you may be interested in for in-depth information regarding programs options in instructional design masters and instructional design PhD degree offerings.
Different schools use different names for their online instructional design degrees and program. For example: Computer Education, Educational Multimedia, Educational Technology, Instructional Design and Development, Instructional Technology, Instructional Systems, Instructional Systems Technology, Instructional Design, Development and Evaluation, Instructional Design and Technology, Instructional and Performance Technology, Learning Technologies. Closely related to degrees in instructional design is Adult Education and Training and Performance Improvement degrees and concentrations.
Education doctorates are specifically designed to train you in teaching, instructional design, curricula development, and educational leadership. Education is dynamic and constantly changing, and it benefits from innovative technologies, new approaches, and breakthrough methodologies. This is why doctorate research plays such a crucial role in the wider world of pedagogy. Good online instructional design degrees ensure that that aspect is built into their programs.
Instructional Design Courses
Typical programs include master of distance education, teaching online specializations, instructional design for online learning, master of education in the learning, plus many more. Courses may include: Instructional DEsign Theories, Instructional Design Foundations, Needs Assessment, Learner Analysis and more. This of course will depend on the individual program and the focus or specialization of the degree program.
Instructional Design Careers
Instructional technologists work in the private sector, as corporate training specialists. In addition, the fields of businesses and health care employ instructional technologists to train personnel in the latest developments in their field.
Graduates of instructional design and technology degree programs can also work in many fields such as teaching, educational administration, and curriculum development. Job titles include: instructional systems designer, instructional project manager, technical instructional designer, elearning specialist, and senior instructional designer.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics the incomes of graduates of campus and online instructional design degrees vary depending on the specific job title. The average salary for instructional designer jobs is $59,000 according to simplyhired.com. Curriculum designers earn a median salary of about $60,000 while corporate trainers earn around $92,000 a year. Teachers average about $53,000 annually while school administrators make over $82,000.
Instructional Design and Related Programs
- Instructional Design & Technology
Online Learning at Concordia University-Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Methods & Curriculum
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Education in Instructional Technology - Adult Learning-Organizations
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- M. Ed. in Teaching & Learning in Education Technology
- AA in Education (Non-Licensure)
- Bachelor of Science: Early Childhood Education in Interdisciplinary Studies
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Curriculum and Teaching - Master of Education
- Instructional Leadership - Doctor of Education
- Instructional Leadership - PhD in Education
- And more...
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
- MSE Educational Diagnostics
- MSE Education Specialist
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Doctor of Education - Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment (K-12)
- M.S.Ed - Integrating Technology in the Classroom (Grades K-12)
Building a better future starts in the classroom. The online master’s degree programs from American University’s School of Education are designed to prepare you to teach the next generation of difference makers.
- Masters in Teaching
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning