Library science degree programs are generally offered at the master’s degree level. They are also referred to as MLS degrees. Library science is also know as library and information science. It is an interdisciplinary field which applies the practices, perspectives, and tools of information technology, management, education, etc to library studies,, which is the collection, organization, preservation, and dissemination of information and related resources. The preparation for a masters degree library science or library media is based on extensive training in training librarians to perform such tasks that include marketing library programs, cataloging, researching informational databases, managing library staff, educating library users on library resources, and stocking instructional resources. With a degree in library science online, you can specialize in an area such as cataloging acquisitions, reference, bibliography, special collections, etc. Librarians sift through databases and bulk information, refine searches and research, and assist clients in verify information.
Library Science Education and Training
To earn a degree in library science, more than likely you would first need to have a bachelors degree in a particular area, Students in library media or library science take courses in cataloging, book history, printing, copyright laws, organizing information, database management, etc. You can then pursue a online library science masters. Library sciences courses may include the following:
- Information Organizations and Management
- Information Retrieval
- Information Literacy
- Collection Management
- School Library Media Centers
- Cataloging and Classification
- Automated Library Systems
The masters library science degree and other graduate programs in library information science also include courses in intellectual freedom and censorship, and information literacy. Librarians’ responsibilities have evolved quite drastically in the last two or three decades with the advent of computer and information technology as well as database management. This has subsequently influenced, online library science degree courses, librarian education and training approaches and courses.
Careers in Library Science
There are various areas where you can seek employment with online library science degree credentials, including city or county libraries, schools, universities, medical facilities, law firms, publishing houses, information centers, museums, etc. Other possible librarian careers include working as a curator, archivists, or museum technicians doing cataloging, research, production of support materials, conservation and preservation of collections.
Well trained librarians have broad knowledge in accessing and using scholarly and public information sources, know-how related to trends in publishing, database administration, information technology, and the organization and selection of library materials. Personality traits that can boost your library career include are being organized, inquisitive, well-read, and a desire to keep reading or learning.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that between 2008 and 2018, the employment of librarians is expected to grow by 8%. Students who graduate with a campus or online library science degree can earn $25,000-$70,000 a year. Librarians in administrative positions earn more, $52,530 in 2008 with a range of $42,240 and $65,300. The lowest 10% made below $33,190 while the highest 10% earned over $81,130.
Several universities offer the online library science degree. In most cases entry level librarians have at least a bachelor’s degree, but to be a head librarian and to work in leadership and management positions, a master’s degree in library science (MLS) is often necessary for positions in public, government, university libraries special libraries and in some K-12 school libraries.
Library Science Programs
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- Human Service Certificates in Child and Family Services
- MS in Human Services
- Human Services
- And more...
- Bachelor degree programs include English, Education, Mathematics, Theatre, Biophysical Sciences, Christian Ministry, and more.
- Ranked among the Best Online Graduate Education Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Regent’s School of Education has yielded a 95% pass rate on the School Leadership Licensure Assessment.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - History
- Liberal Arts degrees include BAs in English, History, Applied Linguistics, and more.
- Coursework is designed to enhance students’ knowledge on a wide range of subjects, including history, culture, and art.
- Educators focus on developing their students’ critical, creative thinking, and communication skills.
- 100% online, flexible courses allow students to pursue their degree on their own schedule.
- BA History
- MA History
- BA History - American History
- And more...
- Master of Arts in International Relations Online
Study online with California University of Pennsylvania. We offer certificate and bachelor's and master's degree programs in a wide variety of fields that can be completed 100% online.
- Arabic Language & Culture (Certificate) - Online
- Arabic Language & Cultures (Bachelor of Arts) - Online
Grantham University's 100% accredited online degrees are convenient, portable and designed so you can fit education into your life instead of arranging life around your education.
- Associate of Arts in Multidisciplinary Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Multidisciplinary Studies
- Bachelor of Science Interdisciplinary Studies - Strategic Communications
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Gender Diversity Studies - MA in Psychology
- Gender Diversity Studies - PhD of Psychology
The MSW@USC is the first top-ranked MSW program offered nationally. Many online programs are limited to certain geographic areas or the availability of courses, making it necessary to travel to campus. Our program can be completed from virtually anywhere without the need to relocate to Southern California.
The USC School of Social Work works with selected agencies and organizations across the country that represent the complete range of social services. This provides MSW@USC students the opportunity to apply what they learn in class and a chance to work with real-life clients in the community.
- Doctor of Social Work
- Master of Social Work
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Curriculum & Instruction: Early Childhood Education