Library science degree programs are generally offered at the master’s degree level. They are also referred to as MLS degrees. Library science is also know as library and information science. It is an interdisciplinary field which applies the practices, perspectives, and tools of information technology, management, education, etc to library studies,, which is the collection, organization, preservation, and dissemination of information and related resources. The preparation for a masters degree library science or library media is based on extensive training in training librarians to perform such tasks that include marketing library programs, cataloging, researching informational databases, managing library staff, educating library users on library resources, and stocking instructional resources. With a degree in library science online, you can specialize in an area such as cataloging acquisitions, reference, bibliography, special collections, etc. Librarians sift through databases and bulk information, refine searches and research, and assist clients in verify information.
Library Science Education and Training
To earn a degree in library science, more than likely you would first need to have a bachelors degree in a particular area, Students in library media or library science take courses in cataloging, book history, printing, copyright laws, organizing information, database management, etc. You can then pursue a online library science masters. Library sciences courses may include the following:
- Information Organizations and Management
- Information Retrieval
- Information Literacy
- Collection Management
- School Library Media Centers
- Cataloging and Classification
- Automated Library Systems
The masters library science degree and other graduate programs in library information science also include courses in intellectual freedom and censorship, and information literacy. Librarians’ responsibilities have evolved quite drastically in the last two or three decades with the advent of computer and information technology as well as database management. This has subsequently influenced, online library science degree courses, librarian education and training approaches and courses.
Careers in Library Science
There are various areas where you can seek employment with online library science degree credentials, including city or county libraries, schools, universities, medical facilities, law firms, publishing houses, information centers, museums, etc. Other possible librarian careers include working as a curator, archivists, or museum technicians doing cataloging, research, production of support materials, conservation and preservation of collections.
Well trained librarians have broad knowledge in accessing and using scholarly and public information sources, know-how related to trends in publishing, database administration, information technology, and the organization and selection of library materials. Personality traits that can boost your library career include are being organized, inquisitive, well-read, and a desire to keep reading or learning.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that between 2008 and 2018, the employment of librarians is expected to grow by 8%. Students who graduate with a campus or online library science degree can earn $25,000-$70,000 a year. Librarians in administrative positions earn more, $52,530 in 2008 with a range of $42,240 and $65,300. The lowest 10% made below $33,190 while the highest 10% earned over $81,130.
Several universities offer the online library science degree. In most cases entry level librarians have at least a bachelor’s degree, but to be a head librarian and to work in leadership and management positions, a master’s degree in library science (MLS) is often necessary for positions in public, government, university libraries special libraries and in some K-12 school libraries.
Library Science Programs
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- MS in Human and Social Services - Conflict Management and Negotiation
- MS in Human and Social Services - Disaster, Crisis, and Intervention
- PhD in Human and Social Services - Conflict Management and Negotiation
- And more...
- Find Your Purpose with a Degree from GCU's College of Theology
- From the bachelor's to master's level, our college of ministry offers the education you need to prepare the next generation of disciples.
- Choose your emphasis - global ministry, biblical studies, youth ministry, divinity, worship leadership and more.
- Our transfer-friendly bachelor's and master's degree programs are designed for traditional campus and online students.
- The College of Theology's guiding pillars are Gospel Centered, Church Focused and Missions Oriented.
- Speak with an enrollment counselor today and learn about our various theology bachelor's and master's programs.
- B.A. in Christian Studies with a concentration in Youth Ministry
- Ed.D. in Organizational Leadership - Christian Ministry
The University of Southern California Doctor of Social Work (DSW) online program is designed for experienced practitioners to harness innovative solutions to solve real-world problems.
Unlike a PhD in social work, which prepares scholars for careers in research and the professoriate, the DSW@USC is an online advanced practice degree program for working professionals who want to have a greater impact in their practice.
- Doctor of Social Work (DSW)
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MA Human Services: Christian Ministry
- MA Human Services: Military Resilience
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Gender Diversity Studies - MA in Psychology
- Gender Diversity Studies - PhD of Psychology
The USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work offers a CSWE-accredited online Master's in Social Work. The GRE is not required to apply to the MSW@USC program. Complete in as little as 1 year with a BSW.
The MSW@USC is the first top-ranked MSW program offered nationally. Many online programs are limited to certain geographic areas or the availability of courses, making it necessary to travel to campus. Our program can be completed from virtually anywhere without the need to relocate to Southern California.
- Master of Social Work
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Child and Adolescent Psychology Certificate
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management - Environmental and Social Sustainability (Executive Format)
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!