Library science degree programs are generally offered at the master’s degree level. They are also referred to as MLS degrees. Library science is also know as library and information science. It is an interdisciplinary field which applies the practices, perspectives, and tools of information technology, management, education, etc to library studies,, which is the collection, organization, preservation, and dissemination of information and related resources. The preparation for a masters degree library science or library media is based on extensive training in training librarians to perform such tasks that include marketing library programs, cataloging, researching informational databases, managing library staff, educating library users on library resources, and stocking instructional resources. With a degree in library science online, you can specialize in an area such as cataloging acquisitions, reference, bibliography, special collections, etc. Librarians sift through databases and bulk information, refine searches and research, and assist clients in verify information.
Library Science Education and Training
To earn a degree in library science, more than likely you would first need to have a bachelors degree in a particular area, Students in library media or library science take courses in cataloging, book history, printing, copyright laws, organizing information, database management, etc. You can then pursue a online library science masters. Library sciences courses may include the following:
- Information Organizations and Management
- Information Retrieval
- Information Literacy
- Collection Management
- School Library Media Centers
- Cataloging and Classification
- Automated Library Systems
The masters library science degree and other graduate programs in library information science also include courses in intellectual freedom and censorship, and information literacy. Librarians’ responsibilities have evolved quite drastically in the last two or three decades with the advent of computer and information technology as well as database management. This has subsequently influenced, online library science degree courses, librarian education and training approaches and courses.
Careers in Library Science
There are various areas where you can seek employment with online library science degree credentials, including city or county libraries, schools, universities, medical facilities, law firms, publishing houses, information centers, museums, etc. Other possible librarian careers include working as a curator, archivists, or museum technicians doing cataloging, research, production of support materials, conservation and preservation of collections.
Well trained librarians have broad knowledge in accessing and using scholarly and public information sources, know-how related to trends in publishing, database administration, information technology, and the organization and selection of library materials. Personality traits that can boost your library career include are being organized, inquisitive, well-read, and a desire to keep reading or learning.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that between 2008 and 2018, the employment of librarians is expected to grow by 8%. Students who graduate with a campus or online library science degree can earn $25,000-$70,000 a year. Librarians in administrative positions earn more, $52,530 in 2008 with a range of $42,240 and $65,300. The lowest 10% made below $33,190 while the highest 10% earned over $81,130.
Several universities offer the online library science degree. In most cases entry level librarians have at least a bachelor’s degree, but to be a head librarian and to work in leadership and management positions, a master’s degree in library science (MLS) is often necessary for positions in public, government, university libraries special libraries and in some K-12 school libraries.
Library Science Programs
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
Home to more than 58,000 students from all 50 states and 125 different countries, Rutgers’ mission is to prepare students to become productive members of society and good citizens of the world. That’s made possible by a faculty and staff of over 13,000 members, which includes an Abel Prize winner, Guggenheim Fellows, MacArthur “Genius Award” Fellows, Pulitzer Prize winners, and many more.
- Online Master of Information
Syracuse University’s School of Information Studies (iSchool)—The Original Information School—is proud of its position as a leader in the field. The iSchool’s community of more than 50 faculty members, more than 1,400 students, and nearly 10,000 alumni are dedicated to driving innovation in information services and leveraging the power of information to build a better world.
- Master of Science in Library and Information Sciences
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Master of Divinity - Pastoral Ministries
- Doctor of Ministry: Theology and Apologetics
- Doctor of Ministry: Chaplaincy
- And more...
- Theology Degrees Rooted in the Word of God
- Since 1949, GCU has been a premier private Christian university in Arizona, helping students find their purpose and achieve their potential.
- Across the College of Theology, our theology degrees are designed to help you apply Scripture to the context in which you serve.
- GCU offers a variety of transformative degrees with real-world relevance, such as Christian studies, pastoral ministry and the online Master of Divinity.
- Courses are available online, evenings and on campus in Phoenix, Arizona. Talk to us to learn about financial aid, start dates and more!
- B.A. in Christian Studies with a concentration in Youth Ministry
- Ed.D. in Organizational Leadership - Christian Ministry
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Arts in English - Self-Designed
- Master of Theological Studies - Interdisciplinary Studies
- Master of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies
- And more...
- Online and Bachelor's programs include B.S. in Advertising, B.S. in Web Design, B.A. in Interior Design, and more
- Curriculum focus on preparing students for a creative career by teaching them the fundamentals of advertising and design
- Students can choose from courses that cover areas such as advertising concepts, art direction, experience design, and online marketing
- Over 50 locations nationwide, with a student support team dedicated to helping students grow
- Join our next Open House on 10/21 (10/28 @ select locations)!
- Electronic Music (C)
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Child and Adolescent Psychology Certificate
The MSW@USC is the first top-ranked MSW program offered nationally. Many online programs are limited to certain geographic areas or the availability of courses, making it necessary to travel to campus. Our program can be completed from virtually anywhere without the need to relocate to Southern California.
- Master of Social Work
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Curriculum & Instruction: Early Childhood Education