Online masters degrees are popular with working professionals or people with families to take care of. The flexibility of online masters programs also provides students to apply what they are learning to their jobs. A Master’s degree is offered at the graduate level of study from accredited college and universities. It typically take one to three years of study. For most online masters programs a bachelor’s degree as a prerequisite for entry. In the United the Master of Business Administration (MBA), Master of Arts (MA), and Master of Science (MS) and are the most common types of Master’s degrees. Specializations include a variety of professional disciplines such as: Master of Public Health (MPH), Master of Project Management (MPM), Master of Social Work (MSW), Master of Education (Med), and Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) to mention a few. Accredited online masters degrees are designed to give graduates a higher level of authority and responsibility than bachelor’s degree-holders and they earn at least 20% more a year.
Popular Online Masters Degrees
Masters Training and Education
There are two types of master’s degrees: academic (M.A. or MS.) and professional (e.g. LLM, MFA, MSW, MPA etc.) To get into a masters degree in most graduate programs you would to complete standardized exams such as the GMAT or GRE in addition to a good undergraduate GPA.
In most programs students take advanced courses, some write a thesis (a significant scholarly work based on independent research), and others have internships or practical work experience, depending on their graduate degree or field of study.
Most M.A and M.S degrees require about 30-36 credit hours while other can go up to 60 hours. In most graduate programs, master’s degrees take about one to three years of full-time graduate education following completion of a bachelor’s degree program depending on the area of study.
Careers with Masters Degrees
With Online masters degrees in your area of specialization, you will probably make a higher level of income in addition to opportunities for promotions. Some of the fastest growing careers with a masters degree are business (MBA), education, psychology and counseling, library science, information technology, and environmental science, health care (nursing, and health administration and management).
Masters Degree Programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
Top-ranked by U.S. News & World Report, the USC Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work offers its innovative Master of Social Work program online so students can make a lasting positive impact in their communities. Aspiring practitioners attend online classes with an average of just 12 students so they can get to know each other and expert faculty.
- Personalized learning that’s guided by industry trends
- Technology-driven approach designed to help you reach your potential
- Access to real-world learning and strong thought leadership
- Convenient ways to complete your degree even with a busy schedule
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) offers career relevant bachelor’s and master’s degree programs for working adults and nontraditional learners.
- The first and only 100% online, fully accredited public university in the United States
- No set class times or locations
- Affordable tuition, guaranteed not to increase as long as you are enrolled
- Accelerated eight-week terms
- Classes start every month
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
Northeastern University’s D’Amore-McKim School of Business is pleased to offer a 100% online MBA. At Northeastern, you can build on your current career success, expand your managerial skills and knowledge base, and put your new learning to use in your place of work.
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.