A nursing masters degree takes an average of 18 to 24 months to complete depending on the program. This is based on students who already have an undergraduate degree in nursing. Programs give nursing students the opportunity to specialize in particular areas for example advanced clinical training, research, pediatrics, geriatrics, anesthesia etc. Most students in an MSN program already have a BSN but there are accelerated options for non-nursing majors. In general students are required to have a BSN from an accredited nursing school, an RN license, and passing GPA and GRE scores, and some nursing work experience. There are different options for future students. Graduates with a Master of Science in Nursing degree enhance their knowledge and skills in order to serve their patients better. They gain better knowledge of the healthcare system and medical technology to assist patients more effectively. With the online MSN degree you can specialize in areas such as nurse practitioner, nurse anesthetist, and nursing administration.
MSN Education and Training
The RN-to-MSN program is for RNs who have an associate degree in nursing and want to earn an MSN after earning the BSN. online nursing masters degree courses are designed for advanced placement credit so that there is no overlap between BSN and MSN courses.
The Direct Entry MSN degree program is designed for non-nurses who have bachelors’ degrees in non-nursing fields. Students get credit for their general education courses and allow them to complete nursing undergraduate course work before moving directly into graduate online nursing classes, while combining preparation for RN-licensure with advanced training in a master’s specialty area in the online nursing masters degree. Direct entry MSN programs usually take three years to complete. A related program is the Accelerated MSN which takes about two years to complete.
While enrolled in an online RN-to-MSN program you could also sign up for a joint degree program such as business administration, public health or health administration as an option in some nursing programs. Specialize and also get nursing licensure. You can also enroll in an accelerated MSN degree program if you are on the fast track.
Post-Master’s Certificate Programs beyond the online BSN to MSN degree are professional certifications where specialized exams are taken to prove your expertise in a specific field, beyond the skills required for an RN license. The exams are prepared by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, under the American Nurses Association (ANCC). Specialist exams are available in about 30 areas. These programs are designed for nurses who already hold a Master of Science degree and wish to specialize in many online nursing masters degree options. Masters in nursing courses will vary by specialization but some courses that you may be required to take might include:
- Primary Health Care Nursing
- Chronic Disease Management
- Gastroenterological Nursing
- Public Health Nursing
- Nursing Research
- Current Trends and Issues in Nursing Education
- Nursing Administration
- Nursing Leadership Development
- Chronic Care Nursing Practice
- Mental Health Nursing
In the United States Post-Certificate Master’s programs are available in a few states. In these programs RNs can become Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA), Certified Nurse Practitioners or Nurse-Midwife without earning an MSN degree. However, these requirements are changing and students are now required to have an MSN. Therefore some colleges and universities in the United States are offering parallel program in online nursing masters degrees. Non-Degree Studies are also available for those students who want to take classes at the online nursing masters degree level but are not seeking to complete a degree.
Careers with an MSN
A master’s in nursing degree provides nurses with the advanced training to deliver nursing care in a specialized area like advanced clinical research and training. Nurses with a campus or online nursing masters degree are known as Advanced Practice Nurses (APNs) typically focus on one of four advanced nursing practice areas:
- Certified Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA)
- Nurse Practitioner (NP)
- Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS)
- Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM)
With a masters in nursing, nurses often hold leadership and administrative positions in settings that include hospitals and clinics, private practice, long-term care facilities, insurance companies, medical equipment manufacturing and supplies, as well as state and federal government agencies and departments.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) estimates that registered nurses across all specialties earned a median annual salary of about $62,450. The employment of nurses is expected to grow by 22% between 2008 and 2018. Experienced nurses can earn more or more per year in base salary, in addition to bonuses, shift differential, and overtime.
With an online masters degree, nurses earn anywhere from $73,000 to $87,000. The income varies by the employer and geographic location. The Certified Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) salary is higher than other nursing areas as shown in the following estimated trends:
- Rural areas $175,000
- Metro areas $165,000
- Suburban areas $157,000
The average salary for neonatal nurse practitioners is $74,000, while with the forensic nursing salary ranges from $26.00 to $100.00 an hour depending on the location, responsibility, level of education, and experience. Legal nurse consultants earn over $150 an hour, and most have earned a masters degree.
Masters in Nursing Programs
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
- As a CCNE-accredited school of nursing, Wilkes University is fully committed to preparing our students for a career of lifelong learning and success in a constantly evolving, dynamic profession.
- We offer online programs for nurses at any stage in their career. From our R.N. to M.S.N., to our Ph.D. in Nursing, choose the program that is right for you.
- Learn from doctorally-prepared, highly qualified instructors. Our faculty are true "scholar-practitioners," and bring real-world experience to every subject.
- Receive a supportive, student-focused online education. Our programs are designed so that you can complete coursework when and where it's convenient for you.
- We offer accelerated completion options for qualified students in our R.N. to M.S.N. and M.S.N. programs – earn your master’s degree fully online and finish faster.
- Our net tuition cost for nursing programs is among the most competitive for regionally accredited universities.
- RN to MS - Nursing Informatics
- M.S. with Major in Nursing - Nursing Informatics
- M.S. with Major in Nursing - Nurse Executive
- And more...
- CCNE-Accredited Master of Science in Nursing Programs
- Grand Canyon's 4-credit master’s classes allow you to complete your Master of Science in Nursing degree in less time.
- Our master's in nursing programs include advanced practice roles in primary care and acute care, as well as curriculums which prepare nurses for roles in nursing leadership, nursing education & more.
- Students can elect to take courses online or through our evening classes which meet just once a week at the Phoenix campus and other satellite locations throughout Arizona.
- Grand Canyon is highly recognized in the healthcare industry for outstanding programs for practicing nurses who are seeking to further their education.
- Request information – learn more about program offerings, start dates, financial aid & more!
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Public Health (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
- And more...
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Nursing - Master's
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science in Nursing : Executive Leader
- Master of Science in Nursing : Nurse Informatics
- And more...
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- MSN Clinical Nurse Educator
- RN to MSN in Clinical Nurse Educator
- RN to MSN in Leadership in Healthcare Systems
- And more...
- Earn your Master of Public Health Online from GW in 12 months.
- GRE waivers available for qualified applicants.
- Advance your career in a range of industries, including epidemiology, public health and biostatistics.
- Master of Public Health
- Several institutional scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Features several learning model options, including online, residency, and hybrid options.
- Offers graduate degree programs in organizational leadership, mind-body medicine, psychology and human science.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Two teaching locations in Seattle, Washington with the university headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- M.A. Integrative Wellness Coaching
- Gain distinction in your field and promote healthier, safer communities with Walden’s Doctor of Public Health (DrPH) program.
- One of the few DrPH programs offered online, this professional degree program can prepare you to advance into a leadership or administrative role and make a greater impact in your field.
- Walden’s DrPH program features an interactive online classroom and in-person academic residencies.
- Study evidence-based research methods while gaining insight into 21st-century public health challenges and how they can be used to address major public health problems in your community.
- Master of Public Health
- M.S. in Nursing (MSN) - BSN Track - Nurse Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing (MSN) - RN Track - Nurse Informatics
- And more...
- Degrees include BS in Health Information Management, BS in Nursing (RN to BSN), and more.
- Coursework focuses on relevant topics in the health care field, such as administration, planning, and policy.
- Students can specialize in areas like Human Resource Management, Health Care Informatics Systems, and Long-Term Care Management.
- MA/Health Care Administration