A nursing masters degree takes an average of 18 to 24 months to complete depending on the program. This is based on students who already have an undergraduate degree in nursing. Programs give nursing students the opportunity to specialize in particular areas for example advanced clinical training, research, pediatrics, geriatrics, anesthesia etc. Most students in an MSN program already have a BSN but there are accelerated options for non-nursing majors. In general students are required to have a BSN from an accredited nursing school, an RN license, and passing GPA and GRE scores, and some nursing work experience. There are different options for future students. Graduates with a Master of Science in Nursing degree enhance their knowledge and skills in order to serve their patients better. They gain better knowledge of the healthcare system and medical technology to assist patients more effectively. With the online MSN degree you can specialize in areas such as nurse practitioner, nurse anesthetist, and nursing administration.
MSN Education and Training
The RN-to-MSN program is for RNs who have an associate degree in nursing and want to earn an MSN after earning the BSN. online nursing masters degree courses are designed for advanced placement credit so that there is no overlap between BSN and MSN courses.
The Direct Entry MSN degree program is designed for non-nurses who have bachelors’ degrees in non-nursing fields. Students get credit for their general education courses and allow them to complete nursing undergraduate course work before moving directly into graduate online nursing classes, while combining preparation for RN-licensure with advanced training in a master’s specialty area in the online nursing masters degree. Direct entry MSN programs usually take three years to complete. A related program is the Accelerated MSN which takes about two years to complete.
While enrolled in an online RN-to-MSN program you could also sign up for a joint degree program such as business administration, public health or health administration as an option in some nursing programs. Specialize and also get nursing licensure. You can also enroll in an accelerated MSN degree program if you are on the fast track.
Post-Master’s Certificate Programs beyond the online BSN to MSN degree are professional certifications where specialized exams are taken to prove your expertise in a specific field, beyond the skills required for an RN license. The exams are prepared by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, under the American Nurses Association (ANCC). Specialist exams are available in about 30 areas. These programs are designed for nurses who already hold a Master of Science degree and wish to specialize in many online nursing masters degree options. Masters in nursing courses will vary by specialization but some courses that you may be required to take might include:
- Primary Health Care Nursing
- Chronic Disease Management
- Gastroenterological Nursing
- Public Health Nursing
- Nursing Research
- Current Trends and Issues in Nursing Education
- Nursing Administration
- Nursing Leadership Development
- Chronic Care Nursing Practice
- Mental Health Nursing
In the United States Post-Certificate Master’s programs are available in a few states. In these programs RNs can become Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists (CRNA), Certified Nurse Practitioners or Nurse-Midwife without earning an MSN degree. However, these requirements are changing and students are now required to have an MSN. Therefore some colleges and universities in the United States are offering parallel program in online nursing masters degrees. Non-Degree Studies are also available for those students who want to take classes at the online nursing masters degree level but are not seeking to complete a degree.
Careers with an MSN
A master’s in nursing degree provides nurses with the advanced training to deliver nursing care in a specialized area like advanced clinical research and training. Nurses with a campus or online nursing masters degree are known as Advanced Practice Nurses (APNs) typically focus on one of four advanced nursing practice areas:
- Certified Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA)
- Nurse Practitioner (NP)
- Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS)
- Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM)
With a masters in nursing, nurses often hold leadership and administrative positions in settings that include hospitals and clinics, private practice, long-term care facilities, insurance companies, medical equipment manufacturing and supplies, as well as state and federal government agencies and departments.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) estimates that registered nurses across all specialties earned a median annual salary of about $62,450. The employment of nurses is expected to grow by 22% between 2008 and 2018. Experienced nurses can earn more or more per year in base salary, in addition to bonuses, shift differential, and overtime.
With an online masters degree, nurses earn anywhere from $73,000 to $87,000. The income varies by the employer and geographic location. The Certified Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) salary is higher than other nursing areas as shown in the following estimated trends:
- Rural areas $175,000
- Metro areas $165,000
- Suburban areas $157,000
The average salary for neonatal nurse practitioners is $74,000, while with the forensic nursing salary ranges from $26.00 to $100.00 an hour depending on the location, responsibility, level of education, and experience. Legal nurse consultants earn over $150 an hour, and most have earned a masters degree.
Masters in Nursing Programs
- As a CCNE-accredited school of nursing, Wilkes University is fully committed to preparing our students for a career of lifelong learning and success in a constantly evolving, dynamic profession.
- We offer online programs for nurses at any stage in their career. From our R.N. to M.S.N., to our Ph.D. in Nursing, choose the program that is right for you.
- Learn from doctorally-prepared, highly qualified instructors. Our faculty are true "scholar-practitioners," and bring real-world experience to every subject.
- Receive a supportive, student-focused online education. Our programs are designed so that you can complete coursework when and where it's convenient for you.
- We offer accelerated completion options for qualified students in our R.N. to M.S.N. and M.S.N. programs – earn your master’s degree fully online and finish faster.
- Our net tuition cost for nursing programs is among the most competitive for regionally accredited universities.
- RN to MS - Nursing Informatics
- M.S. with Major in Nursing - Nursing Informatics
- M.S. with Major in Nursing - Nurse Executive
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Education
- Registered nurses, advance your career - earn your Master of Science in Nursing online with GCU.
- Our MSN degree will strengthen your knowledge, values, analytical and critical thinking skills so you are prepared to advocate the highest-level of care possible.
- GCU prepares nurses for leadership roles in today's rapidly changing healthcare delivery systems.
- Earn an MSN degree with an emphasis in health care informatics, nursing education, public health and more.
- The baccalaureate degree in nursing and master's degree in nursing at GCU are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- M.S. in Nursing: Health Care Informatics (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Public Health (Bridge)
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
- And more...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science in Nursing : Executive Leader
- Master of Science in Nursing : Nurse Informatics
- And more...
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
At Baker College, you’ll have the opportunity to choose between an on campus education or an online education, depending on what works best for you and for your schedule. Our ground campuses are located across Michigan and one campus in Reading, Pennsylvania.
- Nursing Administration - Master's
- Nursing Education - Master's
- Dynamic Virtual Campus Experience – Classes are hosted in weekly, face-to-face online settings that utilize video conferencing technology to create an intimate learning environment.
- Demanding Academic and Admissions Standards – MPH@GW students are held to the same selective admissions criteria as on-campus students, and complete the same academically rigorous curriculum.
- Real Courses Delivered by Real Faculty – The GW faculty are world-renowned leaders in the field, and personally design and teach MPH@GW courses.
- Hands-On Field Placement Learning – Students will complete a customized practicum field experience that is designed to build hands-on skill in a student’s chosen career path.
- Master of Public Health
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
- MS in Nursing
- And more...
- Go Higher with a career-enhancing degree from Concordia Nebraska you can earn fully online. All our online programs are designed to give you the flexibility to study around your schedule.
- You'll also benefit from exceptional student support and a rigorous academic experience ranked in the top tier of U.S. News & World Report's Best Colleges 2016 Midwest Regional Universities.
- Concordia offers a wide variety of MBA program offerings in such fields as Accounting, Business Intelligence, Human Resources, Leadership and Managing, Management, Marketing and Risk Management
- Concordia also offers programs in the M.Ed field specializing in Early Childhood Development, Curriculum and Instruction, Educational Administration, and Special Education
- As an institution, Concordia University, Nebraska is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of its North Central Association
- Concordia University, Nebraska is an excellent academic and Christ-centered community equipping men and women for lives of learning, service and leadership in the church and world.
- Master of Public Health - Health Policy and Administration
- MHA - Master of Healthcare Administration : Population Health
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- MBA - Healthcare Management