If you are considering an online PhD degree in any given area of study, there are a few things to consider. A doctorate /doctoral degree is often referred to as a “terminal degree” as it is the highest level of education available for most fields of study. Distance Learning PhD programs are available by colleges that are traditional campus-based or fully online. Online doctoral degrees are research-based and are usually the highest degree you can earn for graduate study, and is thus a terminal degree for most disciplines. The doctoral degree classification includes degrees like the Doctor of Psychology (Psy.D.), Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) Doctor of Public Health, Doctor of Education (Ed. D.), Doctor of Nursing Science (D. NSc.), and the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree in many field (e.g. arts, business, engineering, education, engineering, humanities, public administration, sciences, etc.).
Doctoral Training and Education
Those who possess a doctorate degree are considered experts in their area. In the United States there are different kinds of doctorate degrees. The research doctorate (Ph.D.) is the most common, but professional doctorates are awarded in professions of law and medicine for example. Other popular Doctoral Degrees are the Doctoral in Business (DBA), Doctoral in Education, Doctoral in Psychology, and Executive Juris Doctor (JD). Online PhD and doctorate programs are available in many areas, for example business (management and information technology), engineering, sciences (chemistry and biology), education, and many science and arts areas. In general doctorate programs begin with gaining broad knowledge in the field and then developing research project, taking comprehensive exams, and writing a thesis or dissertation.
Whether it is an accredited online doctorate degree or an on campus PhD, in the United States, PhD degrees take a few years to complete but this varies from program to program, but tend to range from five to seven years.
Full time PhD students can usually complete their online PhD requirements in about four years. Even with full time studies few people complete a program of study in less than four years, and part time students can take up to seven years.
Requirements for an online PhD include completing required and elective online PhD courses, internship or practicum requirements, research projects, and independent work in learning and direction, staff development, supervising, evaluation, and research synthesis.
Doctoral degrees are research degree and that typically include coursework, internships, and independent work in research designing, data analysis, and instructional theory. Ph.D. graduates tend to work in universities and research-based environments. Therefore a an online PhD is also based on original research.
As with the masters degree or professional degrees ensure that you do not take too long to or you will start to lose credit hours. Doctorate programs require the completion of residency requirements (each school will define their residency requirements). Candidates are also required to work on a dissertation after completion of the coursework. This phase of the program is often referred to as ABD (all but dissertation). Several universities offer a broad selection of online programs, and the offerings are diverse including the:
Careers with a PhD
Most people who graduate from an accredited online PhD degree program go on to teach in their area of specialization in academia, as college professors, deans, and other administrative levels in higher education. Since the PhD degree is a research degree, many of these college professors are also involved in research. Still, others are work in independent or private research firms, for government agencies such as NASA, the CDC, department of education, and other areas that require highly specialized personnel.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that the average weekly income for someone with a PhD to be around $1500. Figures from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and from payscale.com indicate the following salary scales:
- Psychology – Private practice – $70,000 to $120,000; Psychology professor – $60,000 to $105,000.
- Finance – A director of finance $130,000 – $150,000; Finance professor – $100,000 – $160,000.
- Business – $115,000 – $150,000
- Education – School superintendent $92,000 – $160,000; Education professor $65,000 – $93,000
- Economics – Corporate sector $85,000 – $105,000; Economics professor $65,000- $160,000
- Biochemistry – Pharmaceutical firm – up to $150,000; Biochemistry professor $65,000 – $110,000
- Health Administration – Hospital and clinic administrators $100,000; Health administration professor – $65,000 t0 $147,000
- Public Administration – City managers & county administrators average $95,000; Assistant professors – $55,000 to $70,000
- Computer Science – Software engineers – $85,000 – $120,000; Computer science professor – $70,000 – $168,000
- Engineering – Chemical and materials engineers – $80,000 – $120,000; Senior mechanical engineer – $100,000 – $110,000; Civil engineer – $106,000; Engineering professor – $80,000 – $130,000.
This is almost three times more that a person with a bachelor’s degree. Many graduates from campus and online PhD programs earn anywhere from $60,000 to $150,000 depending on the doctoral specialization.
Doctoral Degree Programs
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals.
Keiser University is a private, not-for-profit university.
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
You’re serious about success. Especially when it comes to pursuing an associate, bachelors or master’s degree you need to move your career forward. At AIU, the Serious U™, classes are taught by industry specialists who bring their real-world perspective to the classroom and will work with you one-on-one when you need it.
Powerful specialized curriculum
- More courses devoted to your field of interest, on average than at other similar schools
- Study anywhere, anytime and the way you learn best
Credit for work and military experiences to fulfill degree requirements
- You can transfer in up to 75% of your qualifying credits saving you up to 75% on your bachelor’s degree
Cost and value
- Our program costs include all required books, materials, and student fees
- No application cost
American InterContinental University® is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. To contact the Higher Learning Commission please visit www.hlcommission.org.
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
You can receive a top-notch education in a flexible environment. Learn more about the Villanova online learning experience and the difference that sets us apart by further exploring our online programs.
Rankings- Villanova University is consistently ranked among the best in the nation
- The Villanova School of Business (VSB) was recognized among the top schools in the nation on the U.S. News & World Report's annual Best Online Graduate Business Programs ranking, earning the #1 rank.
- Villanova University was recognized among the top schools in the nation on the U.S. News & World Report's annual Best Online MBA Programs.
- Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law is approved by the Council of the Section of Legal Education and Admissions to the Bar of the American Bar Association, 321 North Clark Street, Chicago, IL 60654, (312) 988-6738. 21 North Clark Street, Chicago, IL 60654, (312) 988-6738.
Claremont Graduate University (CGU) has been awarding master’s and doctoral degrees for nearly 100 years. Through our new online learning format, CGU’s specialized master’s degree programs and world renowned faculty are now accessible to a broader community of students seeking a rigorous and relevant graduate degree.