A project management degree is designed to prepare students who then go on to be project managers. Project managers are responsible for directing projects and ensuring that projects keep to the scheduled time line and budget. To be a project manager means that one must have certain skills including communication skills, flexibility, organizational skills, management skills, and people skills. Project managers work in many settings including businesses, construction, information technology, engineering, etc. Specific skills that are taught in project management courses are risk management, time and cost management, communications, and procurement. Other classes cover managing multiple projects (portfolio management), working with teams, standards, estimating, and scheduling, especially at the project management masters degree level.
Project Management Education and Training
To work in project management, students usually have a degree in business or a certificate, and relevant work experience. In many cases, students have an undergraduate in an area such as information technology and then get an MBA or masters in project management, or Project Management Professional (PMP) certificate from the Project Management Institute (PMI).
Project management courses prepare with skills in group dynamics, teamwork, and communication skills. The skill you would learn would include project planning, scheduling, implementation, management, finance (budgeting), and risk management. Specific courses may include:
- Leading Teams
- Negotiation and Conflict Management
- Planning and Controlling
- Recovering Troubled Projects
- Risk Management
- Procurement and Acquisition Management
- Project Portfolio Management
Programs of study include the project management masters certificate, the project management masters, the project management MBA, and the Ph.D. in business with a project management focus.
Project Management Careers
A career in project management requires working with a team. Hence a successful manager must understand the importance of teamwork. In most cases, projects are temporary and must be completed within a limited time span. This often requires various management and technical skills. Necessary skills for project management include having:
- Analytical skills
- Decision making ability
- Excellent communication skills
- Leadership qualities
- Self motivation
- Managerial skills
Some related project management activities are:
- Planning and setting goals and objectives
- Risk analysis and mitigation
- Estimating and allocating resources
- Organization of work
- Acquiring resources and human resources
- Task distribution and directing activities
- Controlling and executing project
- Tracking and reporting progress
- Predicting future trends
Managers work in many setting including information technology, healthcare, construction, software development, and other areas.
In all cases, a career in project management requires the project manager to have interpersonal skills and competencies in handling projects efficiently and effectively. These are skills that are emphasized in online project management degree programs.
Project Management Programs
- Boldly pursue your future in business with an online degree from Post University
- Degrees at all levels with concentrations in Finance, Marketing, and much more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelors Programs for Veterans by US News & World Report
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Master of Business Administration - Project Management
- Master of Business Administration - Multidisciplinary
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- D.B.A. - Project Management
- M.B.A. in Project Management
- D.B.A. in Social Impact Management
- And more...
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management - Project Management
- BS in Business Administration - Project Management
- MBA - Project Management
- And more...
- Master of Business Administration in Project and Quality Management (MBAPQM)
- Bachelor of Engineering Information Technology in Project Management (BEITPM)
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- MS Organizational Leadership - Project Management
- Doctor of Philosophy in Technology and Innovation Management (PhD-TIM) IT Project Management
- Project Management - BBA
- And more...
- Do you have entrepreneurial visions to advance your career in the business world? Learn about the options available at GCU.
- Earn a competitive bachelor's or master's degree in the areas of business administration, business analytics, accounting, marketing and more.
- Many of our business degrees have attained elite accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP).
- GCU nurtures the startup spirit, propelling your entrepreneurial visions on a powerful platform with opportunities to help you thrive.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
- B.S. in Business Administration
- Bridge (Doctor of Business Administration with an Emphasis in Data Analytics)
- And more...
- Our online program blends modern business theory with real-world applications
- SACS accredited with associate's, baccalaureate, & master's degrees & diplomas
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Ranked one of the best for vets business schools by Military Times
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Business Administration - Bachelor's
- Design thinking is a powerful process of problem solving that begins with understanding unmet customer needs.
- From that insight emerges a process for innovation that encompasses concept development, applied creativity, prototyping, and experimentation.
- Master Design Thinking
- Business Analytics
Named a “Best College” by U.S. News & World Report, The Princeton Review, and Forbes, Simmons University has earned a reputation for providing a pioneering liberal arts education for undergraduates integrated with professional work experience. Today, Simmons offers renowned coeducational graduate programs in business, communications management, nursing and health sciences, education, liberal arts, social work, and library and information science.