A project management degree is designed to prepare students who then go on to be project managers. Project managers are responsible for directing projects and ensuring that projects keep to the scheduled time line and budget. To be a project manager means that one must have certain skills including communication skills, flexibility, organizational skills, management skills, and people skills. Project managers work in many settings including businesses, construction, information technology, engineering, etc. Specific skills that are taught in project management courses are risk management, time and cost management, communications, and procurement. Other classes cover managing multiple projects (portfolio management), working with teams, standards, estimating, and scheduling, especially at the project management masters degree level.
Project Management Education and Training
To work in project management, students usually have a degree in business or a certificate, and relevant work experience. In many cases, students have an undergraduate in an area such as information technology and then get an MBA or masters in project management, or Project Management Professional (PMP) certificate from the Project Management Institute (PMI).
Project management courses prepare with skills in group dynamics, teamwork, and communication skills. The skill you would learn would include project planning, scheduling, implementation, management, finance (budgeting), and risk management. Specific courses may include:
- Leading Teams
- Negotiation and Conflict Management
- Planning and Controlling
- Recovering Troubled Projects
- Risk Management
- Procurement and Acquisition Management
- Project Portfolio Management
Programs of study include the project management masters certificate, the project management masters, the project management MBA, and the Ph.D. in business with a project management focus.
Project Management Careers
A career in project management requires working with a team. Hence a successful manager must understand the importance of teamwork. In most cases, projects are temporary and must be completed within a limited time span. This often requires various management and technical skills. Necessary skills for project management include having:
- Analytical skills
- Decision making ability
- Excellent communication skills
- Leadership qualities
- Self motivation
- Managerial skills
Some related project management activities are:
- Planning and setting goals and objectives
- Risk analysis and mitigation
- Estimating and allocating resources
- Organization of work
- Acquiring resources and human resources
- Task distribution and directing activities
- Controlling and executing project
- Tracking and reporting progress
- Predicting future trends
Managers work in many setting including information technology, healthcare, construction, software development, and other areas.
In all cases, a career in project management requires the project manager to have interpersonal skills and competencies in handling projects efficiently and effectively. These are skills that are emphasized in online project management degree programs.
Project Management Programs
Since 1866, Davenport University has been providing students with real-world experience, giving them the edge they need to get the career they want.
Our goal is to offer guaranteed job placement to most of our students by 2020.
- Global Project Management Certificate, PB
- Business Administration, ABA
- Business, BBA
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MS: Project Management
- MS in Marketing: Project Management
- Master of Business Administration: Project Management
- And more...
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- MBA - Project Management
- Master's (MIT) - IT Project Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Management
- And more...
A degree from CTU can connect you to a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. So once you earn your degree, you hit the ground sprinting. That’s the power of in. Are you in?
- Colorado Springs - Master of Science - Management: Project Management
- Colorado Springs - Bachelor of Science - Project Management
- Colorado Springs - Master of Business Administration - Project Management
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Joint Master of Science in Education - Master of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration
- Master in Business Administration
There are a lot of reasons Bryant & Stratton College is the place to get an education. From the personal attention you receive from instructors that stay after class to make sure you are on the right track.
- AAS Business
- Master of Business Administration in Project and Quality Management (MBAPQM)
- Bachelor of Engineering Information Technology in Project Management (BEITPM)
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
- And more...
Miller-Motte Colleges and Miller- Motte Technical Colleges comprise the Miller-Motte family of schools which is part of Ancora Education. For over a century, Miller-Motte has been a reputable leader in private career education.
- Business Administration
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- MS Organizational Leadership - Project Management
- Project Management - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Project Management - D.B.A.
- And more...
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Business Administration (BS)