A project management degree is designed to prepare students who then go on to be project managers. Project managers are responsible for directing projects and ensuring that projects keep to the scheduled time line and budget. To be a project manager means that one must have certain skills including communication skills, flexibility, organizational skills, management skills, and people skills. Project managers work in many settings including businesses, construction, information technology, engineering, etc. Specific skills that are taught in project management courses are risk management, time and cost management, communications, and procurement. Other classes cover managing multiple projects (portfolio management), working with teams, standards, estimating, and scheduling, especially at the project management masters degree level.
Project Management Education and Training
To work in project management, students usually have a degree in business or a certificate, and relevant work experience. In many cases, students have an undergraduate in an area such as information technology and then get an MBA or masters in project management, or Project Management Professional (PMP) certificate from the Project Management Institute (PMI).
Project management courses prepare with skills in group dynamics, teamwork, and communication skills. The skill you would learn would include project planning, scheduling, implementation, management, finance (budgeting), and risk management. Specific courses may include:
- Leading Teams
- Negotiation and Conflict Management
- Planning and Controlling
- Recovering Troubled Projects
- Risk Management
- Procurement and Acquisition Management
- Project Portfolio Management
Programs of study include the project management masters certificate, the project management masters, the project management MBA, and the Ph.D. in business with a project management focus.
Project Management Careers
A career in project management requires working with a team. Hence a successful manager must understand the importance of teamwork. In most cases, projects are temporary and must be completed within a limited time span. This often requires various management and technical skills. Necessary skills for project management include having:
- Analytical skills
- Decision making ability
- Excellent communication skills
- Leadership qualities
- Self motivation
- Managerial skills
Some related project management activities are:
- Planning and setting goals and objectives
- Risk analysis and mitigation
- Estimating and allocating resources
- Organization of work
- Acquiring resources and human resources
- Task distribution and directing activities
- Controlling and executing project
- Tracking and reporting progress
- Predicting future trends
Managers work in many setting including information technology, healthcare, construction, software development, and other areas.
In all cases, a career in project management requires the project manager to have interpersonal skills and competencies in handling projects efficiently and effectively. These are skills that are emphasized in online project management degree programs.
Project Management Programs
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Doctor of Management - Project Management (Executive Format)
- Master of Science in Management - Project Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Project Management
- And more...
- Ready to earn your business degree? If you identify with at least one of the statements below, GCU could be a good fit for you!
- I have worked in the business field for a number of years and want to further my education in order to qualify for promotions, leadership positions, and salary increases.
- I am graduating from high school and am interested in pursuing a career in a business field, but I first need the skills experience.
- I am interested in a Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree in my specialized business area of focus.
- I want flexible course offerings, such as the option of 100% online, evening or campus classes.
- I need a university that provides quality educational offerings through academic excellence and real-world relevance. Does this sound like you? Apply today!
- B.S. in Business Administration
- Bridge (Doctor of Business Administration with an Emphasis in Data Analytics)
- And more...
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- Business Administration - Bachelor's
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Business Administration - Economics
- Bachelor of Science in Business - General
- Master of Business Administration - Interdisciplinary Business
- And more...
- View Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Programs in Business Near YOU!
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements. Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs for You.
- Free information for Business Administration and Management, Accounting, Marketing and Advertising, Business Information Systems Degree Programs and MORE.
- Accredited, Flexible Business Administration and Management Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!