A project management degree is designed to prepare students who then go on to be project managers. Project managers are responsible for directing projects and ensuring that projects keep to the scheduled time line and budget. To be a project manager means that one must have certain skills including communication skills, flexibility, organizational skills, management skills, and people skills. Project managers work in many settings including businesses, construction, information technology, engineering, etc. Specific skills that are taught in project management courses are risk management, time and cost management, communications, and procurement. Other classes cover managing multiple projects (portfolio management), working with teams, standards, estimating, and scheduling, especially at the project management masters degree level.
Project Management Education and Training
To work in project management, students usually have a degree in business or a certificate, and relevant work experience. In many cases, students have an undergraduate in an area such as information technology and then get an MBA or masters in project management, or Project Management Professional (PMP) certificate from the Project Management Institute (PMI).
Project management courses prepare with skills in group dynamics, teamwork, and communication skills. The skill you would learn would include project planning, scheduling, implementation, management, finance (budgeting), and risk management. Specific courses may include:
- Leading Teams
- Negotiation and Conflict Management
- Planning and Controlling
- Recovering Troubled Projects
- Risk Management
- Procurement and Acquisition Management
- Project Portfolio Management
Programs of study include the project management masters certificate, the project management masters, the project management MBA, and the Ph.D. in business with a project management focus.
Project Management Careers
A career in project management requires working with a team. Hence a successful manager must understand the importance of teamwork. In most cases, projects are temporary and must be completed within a limited time span. This often requires various management and technical skills. Necessary skills for project management include having:
- Analytical skills
- Decision making ability
- Excellent communication skills
- Leadership qualities
- Self motivation
- Managerial skills
Some related project management activities are:
- Planning and setting goals and objectives
- Risk analysis and mitigation
- Estimating and allocating resources
- Organization of work
- Acquiring resources and human resources
- Task distribution and directing activities
- Controlling and executing project
- Tracking and reporting progress
- Predicting future trends
Managers work in many setting including information technology, healthcare, construction, software development, and other areas.
In all cases, a career in project management requires the project manager to have interpersonal skills and competencies in handling projects efficiently and effectively. These are skills that are emphasized in online project management degree programs.
Project Management Programs
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MS: Project Management
- MS in Marketing: Project Management
- Master of Business Administration: Project Management
- And more...
- Top-ranked online MBA
- As few as 24 months to complete
- GMAT waivers for experienced professionalsin 24 months.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Six concentrations available
- AACSB accredited
- Master of Business Adminitration (MBA)
- Do you have entrepreneurial visions to advance your career in the business world? Learn about the options available at GCU.
- Earn a competitive bachelor's or master's degree in the areas of business administration, business analytics, accounting, marketing and more.
- Many of our business degrees have attained elite accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP).
- GCU nurtures the startup spirit, propelling your entrepreneurial visions on a powerful platform with opportunities to help you thrive.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
- B.S. in Business Administration
- Bridge (Doctor of Business Administration with an Emphasis in Data Analytics)
- And more...
- Our top-ranking program blends modern business theory with real-world experience
- Institutionally accredited by SACSCOC with ACBSP graduate business program accreditation
- High-quality, Christ-centered education with online and select on-campus & evening courses
- Qualifying bachelor's students can transfer up to 90 credit hours into their degree program
- 86% of Regent students receive some form of financial aid
- Master of Business Administration - Economics
- Bachelor of Science in Business - General Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- MS Organizational Leadership - Project Management
- Doctor of Philosophy in Technology and Innovation Management (PhD-TIM) IT Project Management
- Project Management - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- And more...
- Our online program blends modern business theory with real-world applications
- SACS accredited with associate's, baccalaureate, & master's degrees & diplomas
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Ranked one of the best for vets business schools by Military Times
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Business Administration - Bachelor's
- Value investing is an investment approach that helps investors identify, research, and buy securities priced well below their true market value. Enroll today.
- The Value Investing (Online) program provides you with an integrated framework that teaches you how to identify opportunities for investment that others may miss. Apply Now.
- The Value Investing (Online) program is designed to give you a strong foundation in one of the most successful investment strategies ever developed.
- Follow in the footsteps of legendary investors like Warren Buffett and Mario Gabelli, who have been guided by these principles during their entire career.
- Master Design Thinking
- Business Analytics
- Suit Up! Success Waits For No One!
- Take Action Now! Find The Perfect Business Program For You
- Get Matched For Free Today!