An accredited online Psychology PhD Degree will prepare you to be licensed clinical psychologist or counselor. Psychology is the academic and applied discipline that is focused on the scientific study of human and animal mental functions and behaviors. Psychologists concentrate on the science of the mind and behavior. They often have attained a doctoral degree in addition to further training to work with patients. A PhD in Psychology is sometime referred to as Doctor of Psychology or PsyD. It is a professional doctorate degree in the field of clinical psychology, and doctoral students receive training in clinical work. In addition, they learn how to conduct research in the fields of organizational, counseling, forensic, and social psychology. Earning a PhD in the U.S. requires five to seven years of coursework and research, and in some programs an internship. Learn more about psychology PhD degrees offered by the universities below by requesting additional information.
Psychology Education and Training
A PhD is psychology is a terminal degree. Earning the psychology PhD typically means that students have extensively covered in-depth and extensive study of the human mind, cognitive processes, and behaviors. The degree takes an average of about five years to complete, and requires knowledge and practice of theoretical knowledge, research methodology, and practical applications within a specialization or concentration. Online psychology doctoral program requirements may also vary but woud be guided by the American Psychological Association (APA) guidelines.
Psychology PhD Specializations and Courses
Doctorate programs in Psychology available as the Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) and PhD in Psychology depending on the program structure. Specializations include: Social psychology, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, forensic psychology, educational psychology, counseling psychology, etc. In addition to research methods courses, other courses you may likely take include: Cognitive Psychology; History of Psychology; Social Psychology; Psychological Testing and Measurement; Psychology of Learning; and Physiological Psychology.
Some areas of concentration with an online psychology doctorate degree are: Leadership coaching, sports psychology, clinical psychology, forensics psychology, developmental psychology, counseling psychology, school psychology, industrial psychology organizational psychology, social psychology, and research psychology. Psychologists are not medical doctors and cannot prescribe medication in most states in the United States but they are licensed to perform evaluations and use psychotherapy.
Careers in Psychology
Earning a PhD in psychology will qualify you to teach in colleges and universities, work at research institutions, the government, medical facilities, and in school psychology. Most PhD holders work as clinical psychologists in private practice. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that about 40% psychologists are self-employed.
Graduates with an online psychology PhD also work in K-12 education environments, in the private sector, in human resources departments, hospitals, outpatient clinics, rehabilitation centers, and federal, state, and local agencies like human services department, and children’s services.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BSL), the employment of psychologists is expected to grow at an average rate with fast as average with the best prospect for those with a specialty such as counseling or health having better prospects. I.e. employment is expected to grow 12% between 2008 and 2018. The BLS also reports median annual wages of wage and salary clinical, counseling, and school psychologists as $64,140 for 2008 and median annual wages for industrial-organizational psychologists as $77,010 for the same time period.
Psychology professors working prestigious universities, prestigious research firms, and private practice can earn over $100,000 a year. Salaries for psychology vary by where the psychologists work and the specific job responsibilities. Jobs with an online psychology PhD degree include college professors, counselors, psychologists, and social workers among others.
Psychology and Counseling Programs
- Several institutional scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Features several learning model options, including online, residency, and hybrid options.
- Offers graduate degree programs in organizational leadership, mind-body medicine, psychology and human science.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Two teaching locations in Seattle, Washington with the university headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- Ph.D. Psychology
- Ph.D. Psychology, Psychophysiology Specialization
- Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology
- In Walden’s PhD in Forensic Psychology program, you will explore the systems and programs that work to create positive change in the legal system and community settings.
- Broaden your understanding of advanced forensic psychology and examine ways to evaluate programs designed for populations such as the incarcerated, recently released offenders, and the mentally ill.
- Choose from the General Program or six specializations—including two self-designed options—to align your studies with your specific career goals.
- Learn from subject matter experts and delve into real case studies. Walden’s faculty includes renowned forensic psychologists and other thought leaders in this exciting and diverse field.
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Educational Psychology
- Ph.D. in Psychology - General Psychology
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Social Psychology
- And more...
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Performance Psychology
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Integrating Technology, Learning, and Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education & Supervision
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!