An accredited online Psychology PhD Degree will prepare you to be licensed clinical psychologist or counselor. Psychology is the academic and applied discipline that is focused on the scientific study of human and animal mental functions and behaviors. Psychologists concentrate on the science of the mind and behavior. They often have attained a doctoral degree in addition to further training to work with patients. A PhD in Psychology is sometime referred to as Doctor of Psychology or PsyD. It is a professional doctorate degree in the field of clinical psychology, and doctoral students receive training in clinical work. In addition, they learn how to conduct research in the fields of organizational, counseling, forensic, and social psychology. Earning a PhD in the U.S. requires five to seven years of coursework and research, and in some programs an internship. Learn more about psychology PhD degrees offered by the universities below by requesting additional information.
Psychology Education and Training
A PhD is psychology is a terminal degree. Earning the psychology PhD typically means that students have extensively covered in-depth and extensive study of the human mind, cognitive processes, and behaviors. The degree takes an average of about five years to complete, and requires knowledge and practice of theoretical knowledge, research methodology, and practical applications within a specialization or concentration. Online psychology doctoral program requirements may also vary but woud be guided by the American Psychological Association (APA) guidelines.
Psychology PhD Specializations and Courses
Doctorate programs in Psychology available as the Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) and PhD in Psychology depending on the program structure. Specializations include: Social psychology, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, forensic psychology, educational psychology, counseling psychology, etc. In addition to research methods courses, other courses you may likely take include: Cognitive Psychology; History of Psychology; Social Psychology; Psychological Testing and Measurement; Psychology of Learning; and Physiological Psychology.
Some areas of concentration with an online psychology doctorate degree are: Leadership coaching, sports psychology, clinical psychology, forensics psychology, developmental psychology, counseling psychology, school psychology, industrial psychology organizational psychology, social psychology, and research psychology. Psychologists are not medical doctors and cannot prescribe medication in most states in the United States but they are licensed to perform evaluations and use psychotherapy.
Careers in Psychology
Earning a PhD in psychology will qualify you to teach in colleges and universities, work at research institutions, the government, medical facilities, and in school psychology. Most PhD holders work as clinical psychologists in private practice. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that about 40% psychologists are self-employed.
Graduates with an online psychology PhD also work in K-12 education environments, in the private sector, in human resources departments, hospitals, outpatient clinics, rehabilitation centers, and federal, state, and local agencies like human services department, and children’s services.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BSL), the employment of psychologists is expected to grow at an average rate with fast as average with the best prospect for those with a specialty such as counseling or health having better prospects. I.e. employment is expected to grow 12% between 2008 and 2018. The BLS also reports median annual wages of wage and salary clinical, counseling, and school psychologists as $64,140 for 2008 and median annual wages for industrial-organizational psychologists as $77,010 for the same time period.
Psychology professors working prestigious universities, prestigious research firms, and private practice can earn over $100,000 a year. Salaries for psychology vary by where the psychologists work and the specific job responsibilities. Jobs with an online psychology PhD degree include college professors, counselors, psychologists, and social workers among others.
Psychology and Counseling Programs
- Continue your pursuit of knowledge with a master's degree in psychology online with GCU.
- Explore human behavior and the development of critical thinking and leadership.
- Areas of focus include: forensic psychology, geropsychology, health psychology, life coaching and industrial & organizational psychology.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
- Pursue a career in counseling, behavioral health, mental health, social services, education and more.
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Performance Psychology
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Integrating Technology, Learning, and Psychology
- Bridge - Doctor of Philosophy in Counselor Education and Supervision
- And more...
- Walden’s online MS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program can give you the confidence and critical thinking skills needed to help clients cope with life and overcome their challenges.
- Our MS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program explores the latest counseling theories; evidence-based research; and tools for preventing, diagnosing, and treating mental health disorders
- Learn from faculty who are professionally active and American Counseling Association members.
- The program offers diverse specializations: Addiction Counseling, Career Counseling, Forensic Counseling, Military Families and Culture, and Trauma and Crisis Counseling.
- Walden University’s MS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program is CACREP accredited.
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Educational Psychology
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Social Psychology
- Ph.D. in Psychology - General Psychology
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- And more...
- Earning A Psychology Degree Doesn’t Have To Be An Abstract Concept
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Top Degree Programs Available In Psychology, Counseling Psychology, Human Services, And More
- Make The Move From Thinking To Doing By Answering A Few Simple Questions Today.