An accredited online Psychology PhD Degree will prepare you to be licensed clinical psychologist or counselor. Psychology is the academic and applied discipline that is focused on the scientific study of human and animal mental functions and behaviors. Psychologists concentrate on the science of the mind and behavior. They often have attained a doctoral degree in addition to further training to work with patients. A PhD in Psychology is sometime referred to as Doctor of Psychology or PsyD. It is a professional doctorate degree in the field of clinical psychology, and doctoral students receive training in clinical work. In addition, they learn how to conduct research in the fields of organizational, counseling, forensic, and social psychology. Earning a PhD in the U.S. requires five to seven years of coursework and research, and in some programs an internship. Learn more about psychology PhD degrees offered by the universities below by requesting additional information.
Psychology Education and Training
A PhD is psychology is a terminal degree. Earning the psychology PhD typically means that students have extensively covered in-depth and extensive study of the human mind, cognitive processes, and behaviors. The degree takes an average of about five years to complete, and requires knowledge and practice of theoretical knowledge, research methodology, and practical applications within a specialization or concentration. Online psychology doctoral program requirements may also vary but woud be guided by the American Psychological Association (APA) guidelines.
Psychology PhD Specializations and Courses
Doctorate programs in Psychology available as the Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) and PhD in Psychology depending on the program structure. Specializations include: Social psychology, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, forensic psychology, educational psychology, counseling psychology, etc. In addition to research methods courses, other courses you may likely take include: Cognitive Psychology; History of Psychology; Social Psychology; Psychological Testing and Measurement; Psychology of Learning; and Physiological Psychology.
Some areas of concentration with an online psychology doctorate degree are: Leadership coaching, sports psychology, clinical psychology, forensics psychology, developmental psychology, counseling psychology, school psychology, industrial psychology organizational psychology, social psychology, and research psychology. Psychologists are not medical doctors and cannot prescribe medication in most states in the United States but they are licensed to perform evaluations and use psychotherapy.
Careers in Psychology
Earning a PhD in psychology will qualify you to teach in colleges and universities, work at research institutions, the government, medical facilities, and in school psychology. Most PhD holders work as clinical psychologists in private practice. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that about 40% psychologists are self-employed.
Graduates with an online psychology PhD also work in K-12 education environments, in the private sector, in human resources departments, hospitals, outpatient clinics, rehabilitation centers, and federal, state, and local agencies like human services department, and children’s services.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BSL), the employment of psychologists is expected to grow at an average rate with fast as average with the best prospect for those with a specialty such as counseling or health having better prospects. I.e. employment is expected to grow 12% between 2008 and 2018. The BLS also reports median annual wages of wage and salary clinical, counseling, and school psychologists as $64,140 for 2008 and median annual wages for industrial-organizational psychologists as $77,010 for the same time period.
Psychology professors working prestigious universities, prestigious research firms, and private practice can earn over $100,000 a year. Salaries for psychology vary by where the psychologists work and the specific job responsibilities. Jobs with an online psychology PhD degree include college professors, counselors, psychologists, and social workers among others.
Psychology and Counseling Programs
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education & Supervision
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Walden’s online MS in Forensic Psychology can help you apply new skills and perspectives to areas like cybercrime, criminal investigative analysis and profiling, terrorism, and victim advocacy.
- Develop a strong understanding of criminal behaviors while gaining the expertise needed to make a difference within the criminal justice system.
- Focus on your interests—choose from one of 10 specializations to help you develop subject matter expertise and tailor your degree to your personal interests and professional experience.
- Enjoy engaging, multimedia coursework; interactive case studies; podcasts; expert interviews; and our unique interactive learning community.
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Educational Psychology
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Social Psychology
- Ph.D. in Psychology - General Psychology
- And more...
- Master's Degree in Psychology: Designed for the Working Adult
- Flexibility: We offer convenient online or evening programs to fit your schedule.
- Variety: Choose from General Psychology or an emphasis in Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- Programs focus on the development of critical thinking and leadership qualities, as they apply to your profession.
- Degrees designed for individuals who desire promotion and/or continued academic exposure in the field of psychology.
- Speak with an enrollment counselor today & decide which program interests you!
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Performance Psychology
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Integrating Technology, Learning, and Psychology
- Bridge - Doctor of Philosophy in Counselor Education and Supervision
- And more...
- Discover how a Psychology degree from Keiser shapes great professionals in the field
- Concentrations in Human Services, Developmental Psychology, Healthcare, & more
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked as a top school in the nation by the Military Times Best for Vets Colleges
- Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- PhD in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Psychology
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- And more...
Divine Mercy University (DMU) is a Catholic graduate school of psychology and counseling, founded in 1999 as the Institute for the Psychological Sciences. The University is dedicated to the scientific study of psychology with a Catholic understanding of the person, marriage and the family. The University offers Master of Science (M.S.) and Doctoral (Psy.D.) degrees in Clinical Psychology, a Master of Science (M.S.) degree in Psychology and a Master of Science (M.S.) in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.
- Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology
- M.S. in Psychology (online)
- M.S. in Counseling
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy - Child & Adolescent Therapy
- Master of Marriage and Family Therapy - Medical Family Therapy
- And more...
- Earning A Psychology Degree Doesn’t Have To Be An Abstract Concept
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Top Degree Programs Available In Psychology, Counseling Psychology, Human Services, And More
- Make The Move From Thinking To Doing By Answering A Few Simple Questions Today.