An accredited online Psychology PhD Degree will prepare you to be licensed clinical psychologist or counselor. Psychology is the academic and applied discipline that is focused on the scientific study of human and animal mental functions and behaviors. Psychologists concentrate on the science of the mind and behavior. They often have attained a doctoral degree in addition to further training to work with patients. A PhD in Psychology is sometime referred to as Doctor of Psychology or PsyD. It is a professional doctorate degree in the field of clinical psychology, and doctoral students receive training in clinical work. In addition, they learn how to conduct research in the fields of organizational, counseling, forensic, and social psychology. Earning a PhD in the U.S. requires five to seven years of coursework and research, and in some programs an internship. Learn more about psychology PhD degrees offered by the universities below by requesting additional information.
Psychology Education and Training
A PhD is psychology is a terminal degree. Earning the psychology PhD typically means that students have extensively covered in-depth and extensive study of the human mind, cognitive processes, and behaviors. The degree takes an average of about five years to complete, and requires knowledge and practice of theoretical knowledge, research methodology, and practical applications within a specialization or concentration. Online psychology doctoral program requirements may also vary but woud be guided by the American Psychological Association (APA) guidelines.
Psychology PhD Specializations and Courses
Doctorate programs in Psychology available as the Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) and PhD in Psychology depending on the program structure. Specializations include: Social psychology, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, forensic psychology, educational psychology, counseling psychology, etc. In addition to research methods courses, other courses you may likely take include: Cognitive Psychology; History of Psychology; Social Psychology; Psychological Testing and Measurement; Psychology of Learning; and Physiological Psychology.
Some areas of concentration with an online psychology doctorate degree are: Leadership coaching, sports psychology, clinical psychology, forensics psychology, developmental psychology, counseling psychology, school psychology, industrial psychology organizational psychology, social psychology, and research psychology. Psychologists are not medical doctors and cannot prescribe medication in most states in the United States but they are licensed to perform evaluations and use psychotherapy.
Careers in Psychology
Earning a PhD in psychology will qualify you to teach in colleges and universities, work at research institutions, the government, medical facilities, and in school psychology. Most PhD holders work as clinical psychologists in private practice. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that about 40% psychologists are self-employed.
Graduates with an online psychology PhD also work in K-12 education environments, in the private sector, in human resources departments, hospitals, outpatient clinics, rehabilitation centers, and federal, state, and local agencies like human services department, and children’s services.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BSL), the employment of psychologists is expected to grow at an average rate with fast as average with the best prospect for those with a specialty such as counseling or health having better prospects. I.e. employment is expected to grow 12% between 2008 and 2018. The BLS also reports median annual wages of wage and salary clinical, counseling, and school psychologists as $64,140 for 2008 and median annual wages for industrial-organizational psychologists as $77,010 for the same time period.
Psychology professors working prestigious universities, prestigious research firms, and private practice can earn over $100,000 a year. Salaries for psychology vary by where the psychologists work and the specific job responsibilities. Jobs with an online psychology PhD degree include college professors, counselors, psychologists, and social workers among others.
Psychology and Counseling Programs
- Several institutional scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Features several learning model options, including online, residency, and hybrid options.
- Offers graduate degree programs in organizational leadership, mind-body medicine, psychology and human science.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Two teaching locations in Seattle, Washington with the university headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- Ph.D. Psychology
- Ph.D. Psychology, Psychophysiology Specialization
- Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology
- And more...
- Walden’s online MS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program can give you the confidence and critical thinking skills needed to help clients cope with life and overcome their challenges.
- Our MS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program explores the latest counseling theories; evidence-based research; and tools for preventing, diagnosing, and treating mental health disorders
- Learn from faculty who are professionally active and American Counseling Association members.
- The program offers diverse specializations: Addiction Counseling, Career Counseling, Forensic Counseling, Military Families and Culture, and Trauma and Crisis Counseling.
- Walden University’s MS in Clinical Mental Health Counseling program is CACREP accredited.
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Educational Psychology
- Ph.D. in Psychology - Social Psychology
- Ph.D. in Psychology - General Psychology
- And more...
- Master's Degree in Psychology: Designed for the Working Adult
- Flexibility: We offer convenient online or evening programs to fit your schedule.
- Variety: Choose from General Psychology or an emphasis in Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- Programs focus on the development of critical thinking and leadership qualities, as they apply to your profession.
- Degrees designed for individuals who desire promotion and/or continued academic exposure in the field of psychology.
- Speak with an enrollment counselor today & decide which program interests you!
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Performance Psychology
- Ph.D. in General Psychology - Integrating Technology, Learning, and Psychology
- Bridge - Doctor of Philosophy in Counselor Education and Supervision
- And more...
- New York University’s Counseling@NYU online program offers a master of arts in Counseling and Guidance: School and Bilingual School Counseling, Grades Pre-K-12.
- Offered through the Department of Applied Psychology, NYU’s online master of arts program in Counseling
- You will experience a combination of real-world training, interactive online classes, and course work that can be completed based on your schedule.
- To gain in-field training, you will complete internship experiences at schools in or near your community, a counseling lab, and a practicum experience.
- Counseling@NYU features live, online classes with an average class size of 15 students and a virtual campus that allows students to connect with professors and fellow classmates.
- Master of Arts in Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education & Supervision
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!