An accredited online Psychology PhD Degree will prepare you to be licensed clinical psychologist or counselor. Psychology is the academic and applied discipline that is focused on the scientific study of human and animal mental functions and behaviors. Psychologists concentrate on the science of the mind and behavior. They often have attained a doctoral degree in addition to further training to work with patients. A PhD in Psychology is sometime referred to as Doctor of Psychology or PsyD. It is a professional doctorate degree in the field of clinical psychology, and doctoral students receive training in clinical work. In addition, they learn how to conduct research in the fields of organizational, counseling, forensic, and social psychology. Earning a PhD in the U.S. requires five to seven years of coursework and research, and in some programs an internship. Learn more about psychology PhD degrees offered by the universities below by requesting additional information.
Psychology Education and Training
A PhD is psychology is a terminal degree. Earning the psychology PhD typically means that students have extensively covered in-depth and extensive study of the human mind, cognitive processes, and behaviors. The degree takes an average of about five years to complete, and requires knowledge and practice of theoretical knowledge, research methodology, and practical applications within a specialization or concentration. Online psychology doctoral program requirements may also vary but woud be guided by the American Psychological Association (APA) guidelines.
Psychology PhD Specializations and Courses
Doctorate programs in Psychology available as the Doctor of Psychology (PsyD) and PhD in Psychology depending on the program structure. Specializations include: Social psychology, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, forensic psychology, educational psychology, counseling psychology, etc. In addition to research methods courses, other courses you may likely take include: Cognitive Psychology; History of Psychology; Social Psychology; Psychological Testing and Measurement; Psychology of Learning; and Physiological Psychology.
Some areas of concentration with an online psychology doctorate degree are: Leadership coaching, sports psychology, clinical psychology, forensics psychology, developmental psychology, counseling psychology, school psychology, industrial psychology organizational psychology, social psychology, and research psychology. Psychologists are not medical doctors and cannot prescribe medication in most states in the United States but they are licensed to perform evaluations and use psychotherapy.
Careers in Psychology
Earning a PhD in psychology will qualify you to teach in colleges and universities, work at research institutions, the government, medical facilities, and in school psychology. Most PhD holders work as clinical psychologists in private practice. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that about 40% psychologists are self-employed.
Graduates with an online psychology PhD also work in K-12 education environments, in the private sector, in human resources departments, hospitals, outpatient clinics, rehabilitation centers, and federal, state, and local agencies like human services department, and children’s services.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BSL), the employment of psychologists is expected to grow at an average rate with fast as average with the best prospect for those with a specialty such as counseling or health having better prospects. I.e. employment is expected to grow 12% between 2008 and 2018. The BLS also reports median annual wages of wage and salary clinical, counseling, and school psychologists as $64,140 for 2008 and median annual wages for industrial-organizational psychologists as $77,010 for the same time period.
Psychology professors working prestigious universities, prestigious research firms, and private practice can earn over $100,000 a year. Salaries for psychology vary by where the psychologists work and the specific job responsibilities. Jobs with an online psychology PhD degree include college professors, counselors, psychologists, and social workers among others.
Psychology and Counseling Programs
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Pastoral Counseling
- And more...
- Customize your coursework - select a concentration or specialization to best suit your individual and career goals.
- Learn from renowned faculty with real-world experience and expertise in their respective fields.
- Experience dynamic and engaging content through video conferencing and podcasts
- Receive robust, comprehensive career support services to help you define your career goals and leverage your new degree to the fullest.
- Ed.D. Educational Psychology and Technology
- Ph.D. Applied Behavior Analysis
- Ph.D. Business Psychology, Consulting Track
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- And more...
- Take your interest in master courses further and make a game changing career move
- GradSchools will help match you to the right program that aligns with your education goals and busy schedule
- Explore Master, Doctoral and PhD Degrees in Psychology, Counseling, Social Work and MORE
- Ready for your next step? Let GradSchools match you with programs for FREE!