Secondary education degree programs prepare graduates to work in high schools, middle schools or junior high schools. Secondary education degree programs provide training for teachers, school administrators, school counselors, educational technologists, and other education specialists. Secondary education degrees are offered at the bachelor degree and the master degree level. Graduate degree programs include secondary education masters degree programs, education specialist degree programs, and secondary education PhD programs. Many secondary education programs also enable students to earn a teaching certificate, which is required to teach in all public schools and most private schools as part of K12 Education. In order to teach in public schools, a minimum of a bachelor degree in education is required as well as a supervised internship or practicum. In addition, successfully passing a state teaching license exam is required. The requirements may vary by state but typically these minimum requirements must be met. Some states also require teachers to work toward a attaining a master’s degree in education (MEd.) or a Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T).
Secondary Education Training
Many online secondary education degree programs require students to focus on a particular subject for example mathematics, English, languages, social studies, science, art, music, etc. Secondary education courses also focus on classroom management, technology integration, pedagogy, instructional methodology, methods of teaching, education planning, curriculum and assessment, and educational psychology.
In addition students would be required to take content courses in their area of specialization, for example mathematics, geology, earth science, history, geography, chemistry, etc. This of courses will be guided by one’s established program of study. The courses are usually offered in colleges or arts and sciences although colleges of education may offer certain courses.
Earning a secondary teaching certificate also requires students to complete a teaching internship in a middle school or high school. This internship generally takes several weeks to at least one semester to complete.
These secondary education courses provide teachers with guidance on how to effectively using best practices. Career preparation usually prepares candidates for the teaching certificate exam upon graduation or completion of course requirements.
Secondary Education Careers
An online secondary education degree focuses on the education for students in grades 7 to 12. With an advanced secondary education degree for example a masters in secondary education you can work directly with the students in the classrooms, work in educational technology, or library media.
You can also work in into school administration, education policy, or education consulting. With a career in high school or middle school, teachers specialize in an area such as mathematics, physics, chemistry, or history, etc.
Career opportunities for secondary schoolteachers are expected to be positive over the next dece years, especially in areas such as mathematics education, science education, and bilingual education (ESL).
Secondary Education Programs
- Prepare for a career of learning, leading and serving with an online degree from GCU's College of Education!
- Engage, instruct and inspire students of all ages with one of GCU's many degree focuses.
- Offering initial teacher preparation options for bachelor's and master's in education.
- Take advantage of the small class sizes in both our online and campus colleges.
- For over 60 years, GCU has proudly maintained its rich heritage as a prestigious teaching college.
- B.S. in Math for Secondary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
- B.S. in Business for Secondary Education (ITL)
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- Master of Education - TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
- Master of Education in Instructional Design & Technology
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- And more...
- Personalized learning that’s guided by industry trends
- Technology-driven approach designed to help you reach your potential
- Access to real-world learning and strong thought leadership
- Convenient ways to complete your degree even with a busy schedule
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Doctor of Education (EDD)
- Doctor of Education - Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment (K-12)
- M.S.Ed - Mathematics (Grades K-6)
- And more...
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Education in Higher Education
- Instructional Design & Technology
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- E-Learning - EdS
- International Education - EdS
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!