Secondary education degree programs prepare graduates to work in high schools, middle schools or junior high schools. Secondary education degree programs provide training for teachers, school administrators, school counselors, educational technologists, and other education specialists. Secondary education degrees are offered at the bachelor degree and the master degree level. Graduate degree programs include secondary education masters degree programs, education specialist degree programs, and secondary education PhD programs. Many secondary education programs also enable students to earn a teaching certificate, which is required to teach in all public schools and most private schools as part of K12 Education. In order to teach in public schools, a minimum of a bachelor degree in education is required as well as a supervised internship or practicum. In addition, successfully passing a state teaching license exam is required. The requirements may vary by state but typically these minimum requirements must be met. Some states also require teachers to work toward a attaining a master’s degree in education (MEd.) or a Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T).
Secondary Education Training
Many online secondary education degree programs require students to focus on a particular subject for example mathematics, English, languages, social studies, science, art, music, etc. Secondary education courses also focus on classroom management, technology integration, pedagogy, instructional methodology, methods of teaching, education planning, curriculum and assessment, and educational psychology.
In addition students would be required to take content courses in their area of specialization, for example mathematics, geology, earth science, history, geography, chemistry, etc. This of courses will be guided by one’s established program of study. The courses are usually offered in colleges or arts and sciences although colleges of education may offer certain courses.
Earning a secondary teaching certificate also requires students to complete a teaching internship in a middle school or high school. This internship generally takes several weeks to at least one semester to complete.
These secondary education courses provide teachers with guidance on how to effectively using best practices. Career preparation usually prepares candidates for the teaching certificate exam upon graduation or completion of course requirements.
Secondary Education Careers
An online secondary education degree focuses on the education for students in grades 7 to 12. With an advanced secondary education degree for example a masters in secondary education you can work directly with the students in the classrooms, work in educational technology, or library media.
You can also work in into school administration, education policy, or education consulting. With a career in high school or middle school, teachers specialize in an area such as mathematics, physics, chemistry, or history, etc.
Career opportunities for secondary schoolteachers are expected to be positive over the next dece years, especially in areas such as mathematics education, science education, and bilingual education (ESL).
Secondary Education Programs
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Math for Secondary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
- B.S. in Business for Secondary Education (ITL)
- And more...
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
At Baker College, you’ll have the opportunity to choose between an on campus education or an online education, depending on what works best for you and for your schedule. Our ground campuses are located across Michigan and one campus in Reading, Pennsylvania.
- Secondary Mathematics - Additional Endorsement - Certificate
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science: Education
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
- And more...
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Career and Technical Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- MEd - Reading Education
- E-Learning - EdS
- And more...