Secondary education degree programs prepare graduates to work in high schools, middle schools or junior high schools. Secondary education degree programs provide training for teachers, school administrators, school counselors, educational technologists, and other education specialists. Secondary education degrees are offered at the bachelor degree and the master degree level. Graduate degree programs include secondary education masters degree programs, education specialist degree programs, and secondary education PhD programs. Many secondary education programs also enable students to earn a teaching certificate, which is required to teach in all public schools and most private schools as part of K12 Education. In order to teach in public schools, a minimum of a bachelor degree in education is required as well as a supervised internship or practicum. In addition, successfully passing a state teaching license exam is required. The requirements may vary by state but typically these minimum requirements must be met. Some states also require teachers to work toward a attaining a master’s degree in education (MEd.) or a Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T).
Secondary Education Training
Many online secondary education degree programs require students to focus on a particular subject for example mathematics, English, languages, social studies, science, art, music, etc. Secondary education courses also focus on classroom management, technology integration, pedagogy, instructional methodology, methods of teaching, education planning, curriculum and assessment, and educational psychology.
In addition students would be required to take content courses in their area of specialization, for example mathematics, geology, earth science, history, geography, chemistry, etc. This of courses will be guided by one’s established program of study. The courses are usually offered in colleges or arts and sciences although colleges of education may offer certain courses.
Earning a secondary teaching certificate also requires students to complete a teaching internship in a middle school or high school. This internship generally takes several weeks to at least one semester to complete.
These secondary education courses provide teachers with guidance on how to effectively using best practices. Career preparation usually prepares candidates for the teaching certificate exam upon graduation or completion of course requirements.
Secondary Education Careers
An online secondary education degree focuses on the education for students in grades 7 to 12. With an advanced secondary education degree for example a masters in secondary education you can work directly with the students in the classrooms, work in educational technology, or library media.
You can also work in into school administration, education policy, or education consulting. With a career in high school or middle school, teachers specialize in an area such as mathematics, physics, chemistry, or history, etc.
Career opportunities for secondary schoolteachers are expected to be positive over the next dece years, especially in areas such as mathematics education, science education, and bilingual education (ESL).
Secondary Education Programs
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Math for Secondary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
- B.S. in Business for Secondary Education (ITL)
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MA in Teaching - Secondary Education
- DMN: Expository Preaching and Teaching
- MA Teaching: Middle Grades
- And more...
- Regent’s School of Education will prepare you for today's dynamic world of education
- Institutionally accredited by SACSCOC with TEAC graduate program accreditation
- Regent University is proud to be ranked as a top military-friendly school
- 86% of Regent students receive some form of financial aid
- Specializations in instructional design, special education, & Christian leadership
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction
- M.Ed. in Reading Specialist - Non-Licensure
- Doctor of Education in Character Education
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!