Secondary education degree programs prepare graduates to work in high schools, middle schools or junior high schools. Secondary education degree programs provide training for teachers, school administrators, school counselors, educational technologists, and other education specialists. Secondary education degrees are offered at the bachelor degree and the master degree level. Graduate degree programs include secondary education masters degree programs, education specialist degree programs, and secondary education PhD programs. Many secondary education programs also enable students to earn a teaching certificate, which is required to teach in all public schools and most private schools as part of K12 Education. In order to teach in public schools, a minimum of a bachelor degree in education is required as well as a supervised internship or practicum. In addition, successfully passing a state teaching license exam is required. The requirements may vary by state but typically these minimum requirements must be met. Some states also require teachers to work toward a attaining a master’s degree in education (MEd.) or a Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T).
Secondary Education Training
Many online secondary education degree programs require students to focus on a particular subject for example mathematics, English, languages, social studies, science, art, music, etc. Secondary education courses also focus on classroom management, technology integration, pedagogy, instructional methodology, methods of teaching, education planning, curriculum and assessment, and educational psychology.
In addition students would be required to take content courses in their area of specialization, for example mathematics, geology, earth science, history, geography, chemistry, etc. This of courses will be guided by one’s established program of study. The courses are usually offered in colleges or arts and sciences although colleges of education may offer certain courses.
Earning a secondary teaching certificate also requires students to complete a teaching internship in a middle school or high school. This internship generally takes several weeks to at least one semester to complete.
These secondary education courses provide teachers with guidance on how to effectively using best practices. Career preparation usually prepares candidates for the teaching certificate exam upon graduation or completion of course requirements.
Secondary Education Careers
An online secondary education degree focuses on the education for students in grades 7 to 12. With an advanced secondary education degree for example a masters in secondary education you can work directly with the students in the classrooms, work in educational technology, or library media.
You can also work in into school administration, education policy, or education consulting. With a career in high school or middle school, teachers specialize in an area such as mathematics, physics, chemistry, or history, etc.
Career opportunities for secondary schoolteachers are expected to be positive over the next dece years, especially in areas such as mathematics education, science education, and bilingual education (ESL).
Secondary Education Programs
- Prepare for a career of learning, leading and serving with an online degree from GCU's College of Education!
- Engage, instruct and inspire students of all ages with one of GCU's many degree focuses.
- Offering initial teacher preparation options for bachelor's and master's in education.
- Take advantage of the small class sizes in both our online and campus colleges.
- For over 60 years, GCU has proudly maintained its rich heritage as a prestigious teaching college.
- B.S. in Math for Secondary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
- B.S. in Business for Secondary Education (ITL)
- And more...
- Post brings 127+ years of campus success to flexible online degrees in Education
- 100% online with degrees at all levels
- Connect with other professionals in education around the world and across industries
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- Master of Education - TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
- Master of Education in Instructional Design & Technology
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Doctor of Education (EDD)
- Doctor of Education - Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment (K-12)
- M.S.Ed - Mathematics (Grades K-6)
- And more...
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Curriculum and Teaching - EdS
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- E-Learning - EdS
- And more...
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes! 100% Free Match to Top Colleges
- Get Matched to the Perfect Education Online or Campus-Based Degree Programs from Top Colleges Here
- Earn Your Degree in Early Childhood Education, Special Education, Adult Education and More
- Study Online to Learn at Your Own Pace and Pursue a Career You’ll Love
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Earning Your Degree from a Top University!