A speech pathology degree is part of communications disorders studies. Other areas of study are health degrees in communication disorders, degree programs in audiology, and communication disorders and speech language pathology. A degree in communication disorders can lead to a career in health care, speech therapy, medicine, research, education etc. Students are prepared students to diagnose and treat various speech and hearing disorders in children, elderly, and patients who have suffered hearing and speech trauma. Graduate programs in communication disorders prepare a student for certification, licensure masters programs, and most of the training is clinical and hands-on. Graduate students work in regulated environment, diagnosing, treating, and caring for people with communication disorders. Certification is reviewed by the a national professional organization – the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA).
Speech Pathology Education and Training
The goal of communication disorder degree programs is to provide a fundamental understanding speech, language, and hearing processes, in addition to preparing students in the program to diagnose specific communication disorders.
Experience with alternative forms of communication, such for example as American Sign Language (ASL), can help a student gain valuable perspective on how to work with patients with communication disorders. Speech pathology degree courses may include:
- Speech and Language Disorders
- Speech Science
- Anatomy and Physiology of the Ear
The speech pathology curriculum usually includes diagnosis, symptoms, treatment, and prevention of communication disorders which affect hearing, speech, and language. Other communication disorders courses that may be required are in the sciences and humanities such as mathematics, biology, and the social sciences.
Most graduate communication disorders programs require at least two years of study. Graduation from the program usually includes licensure and certification from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.
In addition, speech pathology programs prepare students to earn necessary licenses required in their state. The Ph.D. in communication disorders is mainly a research degree where a student works closely with a faculty mentor or advisor. The program mainly required a combination of coursework, research, and teaching.
Speech Pathology Careers
Almost 10% of the population shows signs of communication disorders, for example hearing, hence the need for trained professionals in the fields.Students in speech pathology programs can anticipate careers as:
- Speech pathologists
- Special education teachers
- Deaf studies
- Private school administrators
- Speech and hearing therapists
Areas that speech language pathology professionals work include:
- Speech pathology clinics
- Audiology clinics
- Hearing clinics
- Aphasia clinics
- Language clinics
- Community service clinics
- Grammar school specialty clinics
- Research labs
- Rehabilitation clinics
- Nursing homes
- Private practice
- Elementary and secondary schools
- Colleges and universities
- State and local health departments
- Home health agencies
- Long-term facilities
- Private industry nonprofit clinics
Some speech audiologists and pathologists focus on diagnosing and treating infants born with communication disorders, while other professionals may choose to concentrate on preventing the degradation of elderly patients’ ability to communicate. Others work with clients and patients who have suffered trauma for examples in accidents. Federal legislation mandates speech, language and hearing professionals in public schools.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) anticipates close to 30% increase in anticipated jobs by 2012. With a speech pathology degree, the annual income for communication disorders professional ranges from $45,000 to $160,000 annually. According to Salary.com, the middle 50% of speech-language pathologists earn between $61,464 and $73,077 annually, with the top 10% over $78,761. Employment of speech-language pathologists is expected to grow 19% percent by 2018.
Human Services Programs
- Earn your degree online from Ashford University!
- Choose from Undergraduate and Graduate classes
- Business, Health Care, Psychology and Liberal Arts programs to choose from
- Apply Now! Classes begin every Tuesday!
- BA in Health and Human Services
- BA in Health and Human Services - Health Care Informatics Systems Specialization
- BA in Health and Human Services - Long-Term Care Specialization
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- MA Human Services: Christian Ministry
- MA Human Services: Military Resilience
- Bachelor of Science: Social Work
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- Human Service Certificates in Child and Family Services
- MS in Human Services
- Human Services
- And more...
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
Home to more than 58,000 students from all 50 states and 125 different countries, Rutgers’ mission is to prepare students to become productive members of society and good citizens of the world. That’s made possible by a faculty and staff of over 13,000 members, which includes an Abel Prize winner, Guggenheim Fellows, MacArthur “Genius Award” Fellows, Pulitzer Prize winners, and many more.
- Online Master of Social Work
The MSW@USC is the first top-ranked MSW program offered nationally. Many online programs are limited to certain geographic areas or the availability of courses, making it necessary to travel to campus. Our program can be completed from virtually anywhere without the need to relocate to Southern California.
- Master of Social Work
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- M.A. in Human Services - Biblical Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Grief Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Student Affairs
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
- Prepare for your mission - earn your bachelor's or master's degree in theology online with Grand Canyon University.
- The College of Theology offers a variety of transformative degrees with real-world relevance.
- Choose from several degree options, such as Christian studies, pastoral ministry, Master of Divinity and more.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
- GCU's College of Theology exists to educate students to communicate the gospel effectively, serve the church faithfully and minister with integrity.
- Online and Bachelor's programs include B.S. in Advertising, B.S. in Web Design, B.A. in Interior Design, and more
- Curriculum focus on preparing students for a creative career by teaching them the fundamentals of advertising and design
- Students can choose from courses that cover areas such as advertising concepts, art direction, experience design, and online marketing
- Over 50 locations nationwide, with a student support team dedicated to helping students grow
- Join our next Open House on 10/21 (10/28 @ select locations)!
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).