Teacher certification and teaching licensure programs are required by all states and the District of Columbia (D.C.) for all who wish to work in public school education (K-12). In addition to a bachelor, master, or PhD degree for those who wish to work in K-12 may be required for certain positions like administration and college-level teacher education programs. Online teaching certification can be attained in different areas of K-12 education, elementary education licensure, and secondary licensure, as well as the Master of Arts in Teaching programs.
Teaching Licensing and Certification Training
Attaining a teacher license is recommended for all teachers, even if they do not intend to work in public schools, as they may need to be licensed if they choose to work in departments of education or when supervising colleges students in K-12 schools during their practicum. Students can complete a Bachelor of Arts in Education and also simultaneously complete the requirements for teacher licensure. While requirements vary according to individual states, from state to state, all public schools and many private schools require their teachers to have a teaching license. In addition, students are required to complete a supervised classroom teaching internship or practicum.
Online teacher certification programs offer comprehensive preparation in instructional methods, classroom teaching methods, classroom management techniques, assessment and evaluation, curriculum design and development and educational technology. Students are also required to engage in supervised practice in a classroom in addition to taking teacher licensure classes online. This practical aspect of the Online teacher certification degree is organized with the assistance of your teacher education degree coordinator.
The teacher education courses and related Online teacher certification courses may include science and liberal arts curriculum courses in the first two years of the program. In the second half of the program of study, students take specific online teacher certification courses in:
- Classroom Management
- Pedagogical Methods
- Curriculum Design and Development
- Assessment and Testing
- Educational Psychology
- Child Development and Learning
- K-12 Education Trends
- Educational Technology and Technology Integration
The requirements typically include having at least a bachelor’s degree, completing the requirements of an accredited teacher education program that includes supervised practice teaching, and passing a state exam. Some states also require potential teachers to have a master’s degree.
In other cases provisional licensing can be granted, and gradates must complete all requirements within a stipulated number of years to retain the license. Advanced teacher education courses focus on topics in pedagogy, school administration and leadership, curriculum design, and program.
Careers in Teaching and Education
In K12 education teaching careers one can specialize in a multiple or specific areas of instruction, for example mathematics education, science education, reading and literacy education, social studies education as an example of teachers certification areas.
Some teacher certification masters degree programs also have a focus on technology integration into the curriculum or educational leadership as an example. Some advantages of having teacher licensure are:
- Attractive income and benefit packages
- Extended vacations
- Tenure and job security
- Reimbursement for higher education
- Career growth in other areas for example administration and leadership
Opportunities for secondary schoolteachers are expected to be positive over the next 10 years, especially in areas like mathematics, science, and bilingual education (ESL). Teachers can boost their income by volunteering to coordinate extracurricular activities or earning an advanced degree such as an online secondary education degree at the masters or education specialist level.
Teaching and Education Programs
- Post brings 127+ years of campus success to flexible online degrees in Education
- 100% online with degrees at all levels
- Connect with other professionals in education around the world and across industries
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- Master of Education - TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
- B.S. in Child Studies
- Prepare for a career of learning, leading and serving with an online degree from GCU's College of Education!
- Engage, instruct and inspire students of all ages with one of GCU's many degree focuses.
- Offering initial teacher preparation options for bachelor's and master's in education.
- Take advantage of the small class sizes in both our online and campus colleges.
- For over 60 years, GCU has proudly maintained its rich heritage as a prestigious teaching college.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (NITL)
- B.S. in Math for Secondary Education
- B.S. in Business for Secondary Education (ITL)
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Doctor of Education (EDD)
- M.S.Ed - Elementary Reading and Mathematics (Grades K-6)
- M.S.Ed - Mathematics (Grades K-6)
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Curriculum & Instruction: Early Childhood Education
- And more...
Trident University International provides an exceptional online educational experience for its students – diverse adult learners including current and former members of the military family. Adhering to the highest standards of academic excellence, faculty and staff foster a learning community where students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills to enhance their lives and advance their careers.
- Educational Leadership (Ed.D.)
- Master of Arts in Education
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Curriculum and Teaching - EdS
- E-Learning - EdS
- General Education - Master of Education
- And more...
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes! 100% Free Match to Top Colleges
- Get Matched to the Perfect Education Online or Campus-Based Degree Programs from Top Colleges Here
- Earn Your Degree in Early Childhood Education, Special Education, Adult Education and More
- Study Online to Learn at Your Own Pace and Pursue a Career You’ll Love
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Earning Your Degree from a Top University!