Teacher certification and teaching licensure programs are required by all states and the District of Columbia (D.C.) for all who wish to work in public school education (K-12). In addition to a bachelor, master, or PhD degree for those who wish to work in K-12 may be required for certain positions like administration and college-level teacher education programs. Online teaching certification can be attained in different areas of K-12 education, elementary education licensure, and secondary licensure, as well as the Master of Arts in Teaching programs.
Teaching Licensing and Certification Training
Attaining a teacher license is recommended for all teachers, even if they do not intend to work in public schools, as they may need to be licensed if they choose to work in departments of education or when supervising colleges students in K-12 schools during their practicum. Students can complete a Bachelor of Arts in Education and also simultaneously complete the requirements for teacher licensure. While requirements vary according to individual states, from state to state, all public schools and many private schools require their teachers to have a teaching license. In addition, students are required to complete a supervised classroom teaching internship or practicum.
Online teacher certification programs offer comprehensive preparation in instructional methods, classroom teaching methods, classroom management techniques, assessment and evaluation, curriculum design and development and educational technology. Students are also required to engage in supervised practice in a classroom in addition to taking teacher licensure classes online. This practical aspect of the Online teacher certification degree is organized with the assistance of your teacher education degree coordinator.
The teacher education courses and related Online teacher certification courses may include science and liberal arts curriculum courses in the first two years of the program. In the second half of the program of study, students take specific online teacher certification courses in:
- Classroom Management
- Pedagogical Methods
- Curriculum Design and Development
- Assessment and Testing
- Educational Psychology
- Child Development and Learning
- K-12 Education Trends
- Educational Technology and Technology Integration
The requirements typically include having at least a bachelor’s degree, completing the requirements of an accredited teacher education program that includes supervised practice teaching, and passing a state exam. Some states also require potential teachers to have a master’s degree.
In other cases provisional licensing can be granted, and gradates must complete all requirements within a stipulated number of years to retain the license. Advanced teacher education courses focus on topics in pedagogy, school administration and leadership, curriculum design, and program.
Careers in Teaching and Education
In K12 education teaching careers one can specialize in a multiple or specific areas of instruction, for example mathematics education, science education, reading and literacy education, social studies education as an example of teachers certification areas.
Some teacher certification masters degree programs also have a focus on technology integration into the curriculum or educational leadership as an example. Some advantages of having teacher licensure are:
- Attractive income and benefit packages
- Extended vacations
- Tenure and job security
- Reimbursement for higher education
- Career growth in other areas for example administration and leadership
Opportunities for secondary schoolteachers are expected to be positive over the next 10 years, especially in areas like mathematics, science, and bilingual education (ESL). Teachers can boost their income by volunteering to coordinate extracurricular activities or earning an advanced degree such as an online secondary education degree at the masters or education specialist level.
Teaching and Education Programs
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Doctor of Education (EDD)
- M.S. in Early Childhood Studies - Teaching Adults in the Early Childhood Field
- Doctor of Education - Early Childhood Education
- And more...
- Want to be a Teacher or Educational Administrator? Learn why GCU could be the best place to start! Here's why:
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate education programs, including TESOL, early childhood ed, elementary ed, secondary ed & more.
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both. We also offer evening classes!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Financial Options: Numerous financing options available, including scholarships for academic achievement.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.S. in Math for Secondary Education
- B.S. in Business for Secondary Education (ITL)
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education*
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Leadership Coaching and Mentoring
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Coaching and Mentoring
Online Learning at Concordia University-Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Curriculum & Instruction: Early Childhood Education
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Early Childhood Education (MEd plus Certification) - Online
- Early Childhood Education (Master of Education) - Online
- Early Childhood Education (Certificate Only) - Online
- And more...
- Looking for an Online Education Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!