Teacher certification and teaching licensure programs are required by all states and the District of Columbia (D.C.) for all who wish to work in public school education (K-12). In addition to a bachelor, master, or PhD degree for those who wish to work in K-12 may be required for certain positions like administration and college-level teacher education programs. Online teaching certification can be attained in different areas of K-12 education, elementary education licensure, and secondary licensure, as well as the Master of Arts in Teaching programs.
Teaching Licensing and Certification Training
Attaining a teacher license is recommended for all teachers, even if they do not intend to work in public schools, as they may need to be licensed if they choose to work in departments of education or when supervising colleges students in K-12 schools during their practicum. Students can complete a Bachelor of Arts in Education and also simultaneously complete the requirements for teacher licensure. While requirements vary according to individual states, from state to state, all public schools and many private schools require their teachers to have a teaching license. In addition, students are required to complete a supervised classroom teaching internship or practicum.
Online teacher certification programs offer comprehensive preparation in instructional methods, classroom teaching methods, classroom management techniques, assessment and evaluation, curriculum design and development and educational technology. Students are also required to engage in supervised practice in a classroom in addition to taking teacher licensure classes online. This practical aspect of the Online teacher certification degree is organized with the assistance of your teacher education degree coordinator.
The teacher education courses and related Online teacher certification courses may include science and liberal arts curriculum courses in the first two years of the program. In the second half of the program of study, students take specific online teacher certification courses in:
- Classroom Management
- Pedagogical Methods
- Curriculum Design and Development
- Assessment and Testing
- Educational Psychology
- Child Development and Learning
- K-12 Education Trends
- Educational Technology and Technology Integration
The requirements typically include having at least a bachelor’s degree, completing the requirements of an accredited teacher education program that includes supervised practice teaching, and passing a state exam. Some states also require potential teachers to have a master’s degree.
In other cases provisional licensing can be granted, and gradates must complete all requirements within a stipulated number of years to retain the license. Advanced teacher education courses focus on topics in pedagogy, school administration and leadership, curriculum design, and program.
Careers in Teaching and Education
In K12 education teaching careers one can specialize in a multiple or specific areas of instruction, for example mathematics education, science education, reading and literacy education, social studies education as an example of teachers certification areas.
Some teacher certification masters degree programs also have a focus on technology integration into the curriculum or educational leadership as an example. Some advantages of having teacher licensure are:
- Attractive income and benefit packages
- Extended vacations
- Tenure and job security
- Reimbursement for higher education
- Career growth in other areas for example administration and leadership
Opportunities for secondary schoolteachers are expected to be positive over the next 10 years, especially in areas like mathematics, science, and bilingual education (ESL). Teachers can boost their income by volunteering to coordinate extracurricular activities or earning an advanced degree such as an online secondary education degree at the masters or education specialist level.
Teaching and Education Programs
- Want to be a Teacher or Educational Administrator? Learn why GCU could be the best place to start! Here's why:
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate education programs, including TESOL, early childhood ed, elementary ed, secondary ed & more.
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both. We also offer evening classes!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Financial Options: Numerous financing options available, including scholarships for academic achievement.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.S. in Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Special Education
- B.S. in Early Childhood
- And more...
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Administration
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
- One of the first fully online M.Ed. programs to be accredited by TEAC (Teacher Education Accreditation Council)
- Courses within 6 distinct education specializations use real-world deliverables aligned with industry-specific objectives
- Specializations include elementary education, secondary education instructional design and technology and more
- AIU’s M.Ed. uses a proprietary adaptive learning engine to provide individualized content delivery not available at this scale in other online programs at this time.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Secondary Education
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Elementary Education
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Common Core State Standards Instructional Leader
- M.Ed. in Career and Technical Education
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science: Education
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
- And more...
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education, Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment
- MA in Education
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education, Distance Learning
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- E-Learning - EdS
- MEd - Reading Education
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- And more...
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
At Baker College, you’ll have the opportunity to choose between an on campus education or an online education, depending on what works best for you and for your schedule. Our ground campuses are located across Michigan and one campus in Reading, Pennsylvania.
- Elementary Mathematics - Additional Endorsement - Certificate
- Secondary Mathematics - Additional Endorsement - Certificate
- Educational Leadership: K-12 - MSEE (Master's)
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- PhD in Educational Leadership
- Education Specialist in Educational Leadership