Teacher certification and teaching licensure programs are required by all states and the District of Columbia (D.C.) for all who wish to work in public school education (K-12). In addition to a bachelor, master, or PhD degree for those who wish to work in K-12 may be required for certain positions like administration and college-level teacher education programs. Online teaching certification can be attained in different areas of K-12 education, elementary education licensure, and secondary licensure, as well as the Master of Arts in Teaching programs.
Teaching Licensing and Certification Training
Attaining a teacher license is recommended for all teachers, even if they do not intend to work in public schools, as they may need to be licensed if they choose to work in departments of education or when supervising colleges students in K-12 schools during their practicum. Students can complete a Bachelor of Arts in Education and also simultaneously complete the requirements for teacher licensure. While requirements vary according to individual states, from state to state, all public schools and many private schools require their teachers to have a teaching license. In addition, students are required to complete a supervised classroom teaching internship or practicum.
Online teacher certification programs offer comprehensive preparation in instructional methods, classroom teaching methods, classroom management techniques, assessment and evaluation, curriculum design and development and educational technology. Students are also required to engage in supervised practice in a classroom in addition to taking teacher licensure classes online. This practical aspect of the Online teacher certification degree is organized with the assistance of your teacher education degree coordinator.
The teacher education courses and related Online teacher certification courses may include science and liberal arts curriculum courses in the first two years of the program. In the second half of the program of study, students take specific online teacher certification courses in:
- Classroom Management
- Pedagogical Methods
- Curriculum Design and Development
- Assessment and Testing
- Educational Psychology
- Child Development and Learning
- K-12 Education Trends
- Educational Technology and Technology Integration
The requirements typically include having at least a bachelor’s degree, completing the requirements of an accredited teacher education program that includes supervised practice teaching, and passing a state exam. Some states also require potential teachers to have a master’s degree.
In other cases provisional licensing can be granted, and gradates must complete all requirements within a stipulated number of years to retain the license. Advanced teacher education courses focus on topics in pedagogy, school administration and leadership, curriculum design, and program.
Careers in Teaching and Education
In K12 education teaching careers one can specialize in a multiple or specific areas of instruction, for example mathematics education, science education, reading and literacy education, social studies education as an example of teachers certification areas.
Some teacher certification masters degree programs also have a focus on technology integration into the curriculum or educational leadership as an example. Some advantages of having teacher licensure are:
- Attractive income and benefit packages
- Extended vacations
- Tenure and job security
- Reimbursement for higher education
- Career growth in other areas for example administration and leadership
Opportunities for secondary schoolteachers are expected to be positive over the next 10 years, especially in areas like mathematics, science, and bilingual education (ESL). Teachers can boost their income by volunteering to coordinate extracurricular activities or earning an advanced degree such as an online secondary education degree at the masters or education specialist level.
Teaching and Education Programs
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Early Childhood Studies - Teaching Adults in the Early Childhood Field
- Doctor of Education - Early Childhood Education
- M.S. in Early Childhood Studies - Early Childhood Public Policy and Advocacy
- And more...
Building a better future starts in the classroom. The online master’s degree programs from American University’s School of Education are designed to prepare you to teach the next generation of difference makers.
- Masters in Teaching
- Masters in Education Policy & Leadership
- Are you ready to advance or start your career inspiring minds and changing lives? Apply to join GCU's prestigious teaching community.
- GCU recognizes the diverse needs in education and creates meaningful experiences through all bachelor's and master's degree programs.
- Traditional college or online programs, GCU offers education degrees for a variety of learning needs – take your pick!
- Earn your master's or bachelor's degree online, on-campus or take individual courses for specific studies.
- Join the GCU heritage and take advantage of the opportunity to engage, instruct and inspire.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.S. in Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Special Education
- B.S. in Early Childhood
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- E-Learning - EdS
- Curriculum and Teaching - MAT
- MEd - Reading Education
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction
- Education Specialist: Curriculum and Instruction/Elementary Education
- Bachelor of Science: Elementary Education in Interdisciplinary Studies
- And more...
For nearly a century, Columbia International University has educated people from a biblical worldview to impact the nations with the message of Christ. Today we continue that effort, offering 21 degree programs for residential undergraduate students, as well as graduate and seminary programs, professional certificates, and convenient online programs for working adults.
- Master of Education (Instruction & Learning)
- Ph.D. in Educational Leadership
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!