Performance technology degrees entails learning more about how to improve human performance in a working environment. Many terms are used to define the field of human performance management, which is closely related to instructional design and instructional technology. The field of performance improvement is defined as the systematic process of discovering and analyzing human performance improvement gaps, planning for future improvements in human performance, designing and developing cost-effective and ethically-justifiable interventions to close performance gaps, implementing the interventions, and evaluate the financial and non financial results. Several colleges and universities offer coursework leading to an online performance technology degree at various levels including a Ph.D. in Education/Training and Performance Improvement.
Performance Improvement Management Training and Education
So, what are performance technology degrees all about? The American Society of Training and Development (ASTD) defines Performance Improvement as “the process of identifying and analyzing important organizational and individual performance gaps, planning for future performance improvement, designing and developing cost-effective and ethically justifiable interventions to close performance gaps, implementing the interventions, and evaluating the financial and non-financial results.” Interchangeable program terms include performance management degree among others.
The International Society for Performance Improvement (ISPI) defined HPT as a “systematic approach to improving productivity and competence that uses a set of methods and procedures – and a strategy for solving problems – for realizing opportunities related to the performance of people. It is the process of selection, analysis, design, development, implementation, and evaluation of programs to most cost-effectively influence human behavior and accomplishment. It is also a systematic combination of three important processes which can be applied to individuals, small groups, and large organizations.” These are:
- Performance analysis
- Cause analysis
- Intervention selection
Human Performance Technology (HPT) is defined as a systematic approach that is used to improving organizational and individual performance, productivity, and output. It is also referred to as Performance Technology (PT), which is related to:
- Six Sigma
- Process Improvement
- Organization Development
- Instructional Design and Technology
- Human Factors
- Learning Design
- Performance Support Systems
- Knowledge Management
Human Performance Technology Courses
HPT courses may include the following depending on the program of study: Organizational Behavior, Principles of Human Performance Technology, Change Management, Adult Learning Theory, Performance Analysis, Evaluation, Performance Consulting, Project Management, Instructional Design Principles, Needs Assessment, among others. These are often offered in a human performance technology masters or instructional design progam.
Human Performance Technology Careers
HPT rigorously analyzes the needs of an organization (need analysis), process and human performance for new design and identifying the causes for performance gaps, and tries to provide new designs and solutions to improve and sustain the performance and outcomes. It is also focused on evaluating the results and outcomes of the intervention (program evaluation). Performance technology degree programs combine aspects of the above areas in their PT courses.
Corporate training job titles include:
- Training and development specialist
- Training manager
- Training director
- Organizational development consultant
- e-Learning specialist
- Chief learning officer (CLO) or chief knowledge officer (CKO)
- Technical trainer
- Customer service trainer
Corporate Training and Instructional Design Programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- Certificate: H.R. Management
- Master of Business Administration - Leadership
- Master of Business Administration - Multidisciplinary
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.B.A. in Human Resource Management
- D.B.A. - Human Resource Management
- M.S. in Human Resource Management - Functional Human Resource Management
- And more...
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Human Resource Management
- Master of Business Administration - Human Resource Management
- Master of Business Administration
- And more...
- See why Keiser graduates hundreds of successful business men and women every year
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked as a top school in the nation by the Military Times Best for Vets Colleges
- Business degrees taught in multiple languages including Spanish and Mandarin
- Business Administration, BA - Human Resource Management
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - Leadership
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration
- And more...
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- BS in Business Administration - Human Resources
- MBA - Human Resources
- MS in Management - Human Resources
- And more...
- Do you have entrepreneurial visions to advance your career in the business world? Learn about the options available at GCU.
- Earn a competitive bachelor's or master's degree in the areas of business administration, business analytics, accounting, marketing and more.
- Many of our business degrees have attained elite accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP).
- GCU nurtures the startup spirit, propelling your entrepreneurial visions on a powerful platform with opportunities to help you thrive.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
- M.B.A.: Strategic Human Resource Management
- M.B.A.: Leadership
- M.B.A. and M.S. in Leadership (Dual Degree)
- And more...
- Everglades University
- Earn a Degree in Renewable Energy, Online or On-Campus. Get Info!
- Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration
- Master's Degree in Business Administration
- Our online program blends modern business theory with real-world applications
- SACS accredited with associate's, baccalaureate, & master's degrees & diplomas
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Ranked one of the best for vets business schools by Military Times
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- Business Administration - Bachelor's
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Human Resource Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Management
- MBA - Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Business - Human Resources
- Master of Arts in Leadership - Human Resources
- Master of Business Administration - Human Resources
- And more...