Performance technology degrees entails learning more about how to improve human performance in a working environment. Many terms are used to define the field of human performance management, which is closely related to instructional design and instructional technology. The field of performance improvement is defined as the systematic process of discovering and analyzing human performance improvement gaps, planning for future improvements in human performance, designing and developing cost-effective and ethically-justifiable interventions to close performance gaps, implementing the interventions, and evaluate the financial and non financial results. Several colleges and universities offer coursework leading to an online performance technology degree at various levels including a Ph.D. in Education/Training and Performance Improvement.
Performance Improvement Management Training and Education
So, what are performance technology degrees all about? The American Society of Training and Development (ASTD) defines Performance Improvement as “the process of identifying and analyzing important organizational and individual performance gaps, planning for future performance improvement, designing and developing cost-effective and ethically justifiable interventions to close performance gaps, implementing the interventions, and evaluating the financial and non-financial results.” Interchangeable program terms include performance management degree among others.
The International Society for Performance Improvement (ISPI) defined HPT as a “systematic approach to improving productivity and competence that uses a set of methods and procedures – and a strategy for solving problems – for realizing opportunities related to the performance of people. It is the process of selection, analysis, design, development, implementation, and evaluation of programs to most cost-effectively influence human behavior and accomplishment. It is also a systematic combination of three important processes which can be applied to individuals, small groups, and large organizations.” These are:
- Performance analysis
- Cause analysis
- Intervention selection
Human Performance Technology (HPT) is defined as a systematic approach that is used to improving organizational and individual performance, productivity, and output. It is also referred to as Performance Technology (PT), which is related to:
- Six Sigma
- Process Improvement
- Organization Development
- Instructional Design and Technology
- Human Factors
- Learning Design
- Performance Support Systems
- Knowledge Management
Human Performance Technology Courses
HPT courses may include the following depending on the program of study: Organizational Behavior, Principles of Human Performance Technology, Change Management, Adult Learning Theory, Performance Analysis, Evaluation, Performance Consulting, Project Management, Instructional Design Principles, Needs Assessment, among others. These are often offered in a human performance technology masters or instructional design progam.
Human Performance Technology Careers
HPT rigorously analyzes the needs of an organization (need analysis), process and human performance for new design and identifying the causes for performance gaps, and tries to provide new designs and solutions to improve and sustain the performance and outcomes. It is also focused on evaluating the results and outcomes of the intervention (program evaluation). Performance technology degree programs combine aspects of the above areas in their PT courses.
Corporate training job titles include:
- Training and development specialist
- Training manager
- Training director
- Organizational development consultant
- e-Learning specialist
- Chief learning officer (CLO) or chief knowledge officer (CKO)
- Technical trainer
- Customer service trainer
Corporate Training and Instructional Design Programs
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- BA/Human Resource Management
- MBA - Human Resources Management
- MBA - Organizational Leadership
- And more...
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management - Human Resources
- MBA - Human Resources
- BS in Business Administration - Human Resources
- And more...
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Business - HR Management
- Master of Business Administration - Human Resources Management
- Master of Business Administration - Leadership
- And more...
- Specialized bachelor’s and master’s degrees that let you take more courses devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- 4 out of 5 employers of an AIU business graduate say they would hire another AIU business graduate
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Business administration programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) with the exception of Technology Management and Fashion Marketing specializations
- MBA degrees can be completed in as little as 12 months
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Human Resource Management
- MBA - Human Resource Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Management
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Human Resource Management
- Master of Business Administration - Human Resource Management
- Master of Business Administration
- And more...
- Become an accountant, credit analyst, auditor, tax examiner, and more with an undergraduate degree in accounting.
- Learn about accounting fundamentals, legal compliance and ethics, finance, marketing, leadership, economics, and quantitative decision making.
- Work in the environment that suits you best. The B.S. in Accounting program prepares students for accounting careers in private, public, not-for-profit, and government organizations.
- This program, along with other CSU-Global business degrees, is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Each of our courses is 100% online, with no fixed class times or locations. All you need is an internet connection. Wherever you are, you’re already on campus.
- Our programs are built for working adults. You complete coursework on your schedule, in your own time. Complete assignments and projects when it’s most convenient for you.
- BS - Human Resource Management
- Graduate Certificate - Human Resource Management
- Master - Human Resource Management
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Master of Science (Online)
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Bachelor of Science in Business with a Concentration in Human Resources
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associates in Business Management - Human Resource Management
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
- HR Admin Minor with any Bachelors
- Bachelor of Arts in Human Resources Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration/Management
- And more...