A PhD in Health Science can prepare you for a rewarding career in research, teaching, and health care practice. The goal of the health science field is to improve of human health through continuous scientific research. Health Sciences encompasses various disciplines that include: pediatrics, nutrition, physical therapy, public health, and other areas. Before an individual can join the degree program to obtain a PhD in the field, there are some prerequisites that they must meet first. First, the applicant should have their bachelor’s degree and master’s degree within the science or related area. In addition, it is often a requirement in some programs to have some professional experience. This is also an added advantage when it comes to practical application of the concepts covered in the program of study. A PhD is considered to be the highest degree that you can obtain within a particular field. Individuals that wish to possess the doctor of health science degree or certification will need to ensure these requirements before applying into a doctoral program.
Health Science Education and Training
Some of the basic classes that you will end up taking in order to receive this honor are science, anatomy, microbiology and your general study courses. Health science courses may include the following: Human Nutrition, Epidemiology, Occupational Health, Environmental Health, Bioethics, and Health Policy to mention a few. In addition, as with most doctoral degree programs, research methodology courses in qualitative and quantitative research are often required. In addition, writing the dissertation would be required as part of the program requirements. PhD in health sciences programs are often housed in allied health departments and schools of public health.
In order to be able to obtain a PhD in health science degree you may need to go through various different licensing boards, depending upon the type of field that you are entering. For example, if you choose to go the nutrition and dietetics route with your certification in tow, you will still need to take the licensing exam before you will be granted with the responsibilities that one of these animal health care specialists have.
Health Science Careers
The health sciences field is a field of medicine that combines psychosocial, biomedical and organizational aspects of disease and health together into one. With a PhD in Health Science, there are many lucrative careers that you can enter into. Deciding upon the type of career path that you wish to pursue will be the hardest decision to make after obtaining your qualifying degree.
The health science degree prepares those who graduate for employment in medical care settings, pharmaceutical companies, state and local health departments, schools and more. They serve as health educators, public health specialists, environmental health specialists, nurses (if they are already licensed as RNs), clinical researcher, among other careers.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
One of the main things that people are concerned about after receiving a high degree honor is how much money they will be able to make with their certification. Of course, the amount of money that you will make will depend upon the field that you enter into, the area that you work in, and the amount of time that you are willing to sacrifice to your profession.
In most cases, professionals who have obtained a PhD in Health Science can earn between $59,000 per year to $100,000 per year. The starting salary may range around $37,800 with a mid-career income of $69,600. The median salary for people that possess one of these degrees is generally around $75,000 on an annual basis. However, even though these are considered to be the normal amounts of money that you obtain when working in this field, this does not mean that you cannot double the amount of funds that you bring home by taking on extra work. College professors earn in the range of $64,690 to $84,840 as of 2009 figures from the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
Honestly, with the right amount of education and determination it is possible to make at least $150,000 per year with a higher learning degree in a medical field. This of course refers to specialized areas and those with medical degrees (MD), The projected job growth for people that possess this type of degree is expected to rise within the next twenty years.
Professional who hold a a PhD in health science degree can expect there to be an increase. For example, the BLS reports that employment of environmental scientists and specialists is expected to increase by 28% between 2008 and 2018.
Health Science Programs
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- Doctor of Management - Healthcare Management and Leadership (Executive Format)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- And more...
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Doctor of Strategic Leadership - Healthcare Leadership
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Healthcare Management
- Master of Arts in Government - Healthcare Policy & Ethics
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- PhD - Trauma and Disaster Relief
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Health Care Administration
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- And more...
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Our online Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA) degree program can help you improve the experience of healthcare providers and patients.
- Walden’s online MHA program prepares leaders who can respond to the needs of their communities while optimizing organizational performance and outcomes.
- Taught by doctoral-level faculty, our online MHA degree program features curriculum with multimedia that lends a real-world perspective to your online learning experience.
- Two ways to earn your MHA: choose from a course-based format or our competency-based Tempo Learning® by Walden that allows you to learn on your own schedule, at your own pace.
- Ph.D. in Health Services - Self-Designed
- Ph.D. in Health Services- Health Care Administration
- Ph.D. in Health Services - Leadership
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Health Care Administration
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Medical Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!