A PhD in Health Science can prepare you for a rewarding career in research, teaching, and health care practice. The goal of the health science field is to improve of human health through continuous scientific research. Health Sciences encompasses various disciplines that include: pediatrics, nutrition, physical therapy, public health, and other areas. Before an individual can join the degree program to obtain a PhD in the field, there are some prerequisites that they must meet first. First, the applicant should have their bachelor’s degree and master’s degree within the science or related area. In addition, it is often a requirement in some programs to have some professional experience. This is also an added advantage when it comes to practical application of the concepts covered in the program of study. A PhD is considered to be the highest degree that you can obtain within a particular field. Individuals that wish to possess the doctor of health science degree or certification will need to ensure these requirements before applying into a doctoral program.
Health Science Education and Training
Some of the basic classes that you will end up taking in order to receive this honor are science, anatomy, microbiology and your general study courses. Health science courses may include the following: Human Nutrition, Epidemiology, Occupational Health, Environmental Health, Bioethics, and Health Policy to mention a few. In addition, as with most doctoral degree programs, research methodology courses in qualitative and quantitative research are often required. In addition, writing the dissertation would be required as part of the program requirements. PhD in health sciences programs are often housed in allied health departments and schools of public health.
In order to be able to obtain a PhD in health science degree you may need to go through various different licensing boards, depending upon the type of field that you are entering. For example, if you choose to go the nutrition and dietetics route with your certification in tow, you will still need to take the licensing exam before you will be granted with the responsibilities that one of these animal health care specialists have.
Health Science Careers
The health sciences field is a field of medicine that combines psychosocial, biomedical and organizational aspects of disease and health together into one. With a PhD in Health Science, there are many lucrative careers that you can enter into. Deciding upon the type of career path that you wish to pursue will be the hardest decision to make after obtaining your qualifying degree.
The health science degree prepares those who graduate for employment in medical care settings, pharmaceutical companies, state and local health departments, schools and more. They serve as health educators, public health specialists, environmental health specialists, nurses (if they are already licensed as RNs), clinical researcher, among other careers.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
One of the main things that people are concerned about after receiving a high degree honor is how much money they will be able to make with their certification. Of course, the amount of money that you will make will depend upon the field that you enter into, the area that you work in, and the amount of time that you are willing to sacrifice to your profession.
In most cases, professionals who have obtained a PhD in Health Science can earn between $59,000 per year to $100,000 per year. The starting salary may range around $37,800 with a mid-career income of $69,600. The median salary for people that possess one of these degrees is generally around $75,000 on an annual basis. However, even though these are considered to be the normal amounts of money that you obtain when working in this field, this does not mean that you cannot double the amount of funds that you bring home by taking on extra work. College professors earn in the range of $64,690 to $84,840 as of 2009 figures from the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
Honestly, with the right amount of education and determination it is possible to make at least $150,000 per year with a higher learning degree in a medical field. This of course refers to specialized areas and those with medical degrees (MD), The projected job growth for people that possess this type of degree is expected to rise within the next twenty years.
Professional who hold a a PhD in health science degree can expect there to be an increase. For example, the BLS reports that employment of environmental scientists and specialists is expected to increase by 28% between 2008 and 2018.
Health Science Programs
- CCNE-Accredited Master of Science in Nursing Programs
- Grand Canyon's 4-credit master’s classes allow you to complete your Master of Science in Nursing degree in less time.
- Our master's in nursing programs include advanced practice roles in primary care and acute care, as well as curriculums which prepare nurses for roles in nursing leadership, nursing education & more.
- Students can elect to take courses online or through our evening classes which meet just once a week at the Phoenix campus and other satellite locations throughout Arizona.
- Grand Canyon is highly recognized in the healthcare industry for outstanding programs for practicing nurses who are seeking to further their education.
- Request information – learn more about program offerings, start dates, financial aid & more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Health Care Administration
- Our online Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA) degree program can help you improve the experience of healthcare providers and patients.
- Walden’s online MHA program prepares leaders who can respond to the needs of their communities while optimizing organizational performance and outcomes.
- Taught by doctoral-level faculty, our online MHA degree program features curriculum with multimedia that lends a real-world perspective to your online learning experience.
- Two ways to earn your MHA: choose from a course-based format or our competency-based Tempo Learning® by Walden that allows you to learn on your own schedule, at your own pace.
- Ph.D. in Health Services - Self-Designed
- Ph.D. in Health Services- Health Care Administration
- Ph.D. in Health Services - Leadership
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- Doctor of Management - Healthcare Management and Leadership (Executive Format)
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- PhD - Addictions
- PhD - Gerontology
- PhD - Trauma and Disaster Relief
- And more...
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.