A PhD in Health Science can prepare you for a rewarding career in research, teaching, and health care practice. The goal of the health science field is to improve of human health through continuous scientific research. Health Sciences encompasses various disciplines that include: pediatrics, nutrition, physical therapy, public health, and other areas. Before an individual can join the degree program to obtain a PhD in the field, there are some prerequisites that they must meet first. First, the applicant should have their bachelor’s degree and master’s degree within the science or related area. In addition, it is often a requirement in some programs to have some professional experience. This is also an added advantage when it comes to practical application of the concepts covered in the program of study. A PhD is considered to be the highest degree that you can obtain within a particular field. Individuals that wish to possess the doctor of health science degree or certification will need to ensure these requirements before applying into a doctoral program.
Health Science Education and Training
Some of the basic classes that you will end up taking in order to receive this honor are science, anatomy, microbiology and your general study courses. Health science courses may include the following: Human Nutrition, Epidemiology, Occupational Health, Environmental Health, Bioethics, and Health Policy to mention a few. In addition, as with most doctoral degree programs, research methodology courses in qualitative and quantitative research are often required. In addition, writing the dissertation would be required as part of the program requirements. PhD in health sciences programs are often housed in allied health departments and schools of public health.
In order to be able to obtain a PhD in health science degree you may need to go through various different licensing boards, depending upon the type of field that you are entering. For example, if you choose to go the nutrition and dietetics route with your certification in tow, you will still need to take the licensing exam before you will be granted with the responsibilities that one of these animal health care specialists have.
Health Science Careers
The health sciences field is a field of medicine that combines psychosocial, biomedical and organizational aspects of disease and health together into one. With a PhD in Health Science, there are many lucrative careers that you can enter into. Deciding upon the type of career path that you wish to pursue will be the hardest decision to make after obtaining your qualifying degree.
The health science degree prepares those who graduate for employment in medical care settings, pharmaceutical companies, state and local health departments, schools and more. They serve as health educators, public health specialists, environmental health specialists, nurses (if they are already licensed as RNs), clinical researcher, among other careers.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
One of the main things that people are concerned about after receiving a high degree honor is how much money they will be able to make with their certification. Of course, the amount of money that you will make will depend upon the field that you enter into, the area that you work in, and the amount of time that you are willing to sacrifice to your profession.
In most cases, professionals who have obtained a PhD in Health Science can earn between $59,000 per year to $100,000 per year. The starting salary may range around $37,800 with a mid-career income of $69,600. The median salary for people that possess one of these degrees is generally around $75,000 on an annual basis. However, even though these are considered to be the normal amounts of money that you obtain when working in this field, this does not mean that you cannot double the amount of funds that you bring home by taking on extra work. College professors earn in the range of $64,690 to $84,840 as of 2009 figures from the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
Honestly, with the right amount of education and determination it is possible to make at least $150,000 per year with a higher learning degree in a medical field. This of course refers to specialized areas and those with medical degrees (MD), The projected job growth for people that possess this type of degree is expected to rise within the next twenty years.
Professional who hold a a PhD in health science degree can expect there to be an increase. For example, the BLS reports that employment of environmental scientists and specialists is expected to increase by 28% between 2008 and 2018.
Health Science Programs
- CCNE-Accredited Master of Science in Nursing Programs
- Grand Canyon's 4-credit master’s classes allow you to complete your Master of Science in Nursing degree in less time.
- Our master's in nursing programs include advanced practice roles in primary care and acute care, as well as curriculums which prepare nurses for roles in nursing leadership, nursing education & more.
- Students can elect to take courses online or through our evening classes which meet just once a week at the Phoenix campus and other satellite locations throughout Arizona.
- Grand Canyon is highly recognized in the healthcare industry for outstanding programs for practicing nurses who are seeking to further their education.
- Request information – learn more about program offerings, start dates, financial aid & more!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Health Care Administration
- • Liberty University’s online programs ranked in the top 10 out of more than 2,100 colleges & universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility.*
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral level.**
- Transfer up to 90 credits into an undergraduate degree program.
- Up to 50% of your master’s degree can be transferred in to help you get the most out of your hard work and maximize the credit you previously earned.
- *BestColleges.com Gold Medal of Distinction
- **excludes licensure, certification, and some doctoral programs
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
- Ranked among the top 20 Regional Universities in the West in 2015 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Listed as one of America’s Best Colleges by Forbes Magazine in 2014.
- More than 97% of tenure-track faculty holds a terminal degree in their field.
- Student to faculty ratio of 15:1, and 47.5% of classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Accredited by The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Doctor of Nursing Practice
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Leadership Track (MSN to DNP)
- Online Doctor of Nursing Practice - Family Nurse Practitioner Track (BSN to DNP)
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management - Healthcare Management and Leadership (Executive Format)
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Doctor of Strategic Leadership - Healthcare Leadership
- Interested in Helping Others? Get Educated in the Medical Field.
- Medical Assisting, Nursing, Health Sciences Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!