A PhD in Health Science can prepare you for a rewarding career in research, teaching, and health care practice. The goal of the health science field is to improve of human health through continuous scientific research. Health Sciences encompasses various disciplines that include: pediatrics, nutrition, physical therapy, public health, and other areas. Before an individual can join the degree program to obtain a PhD in the field, there are some prerequisites that they must meet first. First, the applicant should have their bachelor’s degree and master’s degree within the science or related area. In addition, it is often a requirement in some programs to have some professional experience. This is also an added advantage when it comes to practical application of the concepts covered in the program of study. A PhD is considered to be the highest degree that you can obtain within a particular field. Individuals that wish to possess the doctor of health science degree or certification will need to ensure these requirements before applying into a doctoral program.
Health Science Education and Training
Some of the basic classes that you will end up taking in order to receive this honor are science, anatomy, microbiology and your general study courses. Health science courses may include the following: Human Nutrition, Epidemiology, Occupational Health, Environmental Health, Bioethics, and Health Policy to mention a few. In addition, as with most doctoral degree programs, research methodology courses in qualitative and quantitative research are often required. In addition, writing the dissertation would be required as part of the program requirements. PhD in health sciences programs are often housed in allied health departments and schools of public health.
In order to be able to obtain a PhD in health science degree you may need to go through various different licensing boards, depending upon the type of field that you are entering. For example, if you choose to go the nutrition and dietetics route with your certification in tow, you will still need to take the licensing exam before you will be granted with the responsibilities that one of these animal health care specialists have.
Health Science Careers
The health sciences field is a field of medicine that combines psychosocial, biomedical and organizational aspects of disease and health together into one. With a PhD in Health Science, there are many lucrative careers that you can enter into. Deciding upon the type of career path that you wish to pursue will be the hardest decision to make after obtaining your qualifying degree.
The health science degree prepares those who graduate for employment in medical care settings, pharmaceutical companies, state and local health departments, schools and more. They serve as health educators, public health specialists, environmental health specialists, nurses (if they are already licensed as RNs), clinical researcher, among other careers.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
One of the main things that people are concerned about after receiving a high degree honor is how much money they will be able to make with their certification. Of course, the amount of money that you will make will depend upon the field that you enter into, the area that you work in, and the amount of time that you are willing to sacrifice to your profession.
In most cases, professionals who have obtained a PhD in Health Science can earn between $59,000 per year to $100,000 per year. The starting salary may range around $37,800 with a mid-career income of $69,600. The median salary for people that possess one of these degrees is generally around $75,000 on an annual basis. However, even though these are considered to be the normal amounts of money that you obtain when working in this field, this does not mean that you cannot double the amount of funds that you bring home by taking on extra work. College professors earn in the range of $64,690 to $84,840 as of 2009 figures from the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
Honestly, with the right amount of education and determination it is possible to make at least $150,000 per year with a higher learning degree in a medical field. This of course refers to specialized areas and those with medical degrees (MD), The projected job growth for people that possess this type of degree is expected to rise within the next twenty years.
Professional who hold a a PhD in health science degree can expect there to be an increase. For example, the BLS reports that employment of environmental scientists and specialists is expected to increase by 28% between 2008 and 2018.
Health Science Programs
- Prepare to fill evolving healthcare roles with a graduate degree from GCU's College of Nursing and Health Care Professions.
- Master's degrees in Public Health, Health Care Administration and Health Informatics.
- Programs designed to give you the skills to effectively manage & lead contemporary healthcare systems.
- Discover your many options for becoming a dynamic healthcare leader.
- Convenient online degree options to fit your busy schedule.
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- Ed. D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Health Care Administration
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- And more...
- Delivered through Tempo Learning® by Walden, our custom-paced program for working professionals allows you to move through your studies by completing a series of competencies on your own schedule.
- Our fully online Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA) degree program can put you at the forefront of the field and help you improve the experiences of healthcare providers as well as patients.
- You can accomplish your academic goals at your pace, with individualized help from faculty and academic coaches when you need it.
- Your prior experience may help you earn your degree more quickly as you demonstrate what you already know through competency assessments—which can save you time and money.
- Walden’s online MHA program is designed to create visionary leaders who can respond to the needs of their communities while optimizing organizational performance and outcomes.
- Ph.D. in Health Services - Self-Designed
- Ph.D. in Health Services- Health Care Administration
- Ph.D. in Health Services - Leadership
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- Master of Science - DNP Path (Doctor of Nursing Practice)
- Master of Health Care Administration
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
Ohio University has offered distance learning educational opportunities for more than 100 years. Our nationally-ranked graduate programs provide flexible opportunities to students around the globe
- Master of Health Administration
As few as 20 months
Nursing@Simmons enables Registered Nurses to earn an MSN online from Simmons College and prepare to pursue certification as a Family Nurse Practitioner in as few as 20 months.
- MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- RN to MSN - Family Nurse Practitioner
- Interested in Helping Others? Get Educated in the Medical Field.
- Medical Assisting, Nursing, Health Sciences Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!