A PhD program in computer science is a long-term course in which students have to study a computations theory and application in depth. In most cases, this means having to study for six years in order to complete the doctorate level program in this field. Whereas graduate and postgraduate courses offer broad knowledge about a particular field, the doctorate course offers in depth knowledge about your chosen field of study. You will be studying fewer than ten courses during a six-year period and the main emphasis of the course is on research rather than on classes. Remember that a PhD is not something that suits everyone. The opportunity costs too are high and it only suits those who have conducted research in the past and have some teaching experience as well. Computer science (CS), also know as computing science is defined as the study of information and computation techniques and their application in computer systems. This includes developing algorithms that are used to create and transform complex systems.
Computer Science Education and Training
To gain admission into the PhD program in computer science program, you will need to show a 4 year bachelors degree and masters degree, demonstrate that you have excelled in the computer science or related area. You should have GRE scores and as well as letters of recommendation and a goals statement. In addition, you will need to provide a statement of your main goals and aspirations and you have to also fill out a form specifying your research interests. The TOEFEL is also required for international students whose first language is not English.
Computer science courses would include: algorithm design, computer programming, machine learning, computer graphics, advanced logic and computing and probability. Other courses may include: Software Construction, Software Modeling, Software Testing, Compilers and Languages, Artificial Intelligence, Applied Probability, Applied Statistics, Operating Systems, Database Systems, Computer Networks, Data Communications, and Computer Graphics among other courses that your academic program would require.
As with other doctoral programs, in addition to the required coursework, students in the PhD program in computer science would be required to take research methodology and design course, take comprehensive exams, participate in research, and complete your dissertation.
Computer Science Careers
After completing your doctorate studies you will have a number of career options available that include working as database administrator, professor, project manager, research leader and software analyst.
There are several good reasons to complete a PhD program in computer science. After completing a PhD program in computer science, you have the option of going into academia or you can choose to become a professor and you also have the option of working in research and development, consulting, or information technology management. Few people even choose to do further research even after completing their doctorate degree.
PhD in computer science jobs vary. For example professors will be doing research on subjects of their choosing and will work with graduate students and will teach classes and apply for grants as well as fly to other places to conduct research and give talks. For those who want to enter a research lab, the main jobs that they will be performing include conducting research and working with others and traveling and giving talks.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
Computer science careers are being projected as being among the fastest growing careers. In the next ten years or so more jobs are expected to be available and a doctorate degree will help you in landing the best jobs. As reported by the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of computer software engineers and computer programmers is projected to increase by 21% between 2008 and 2018. At the same time, there are limited numbers of people that have doctorates in computer science and this means excellent job opportunities will open up to those with the right kind of qualifications.
After completing PhD program in computer science requirements, you will be well equipped to handle the complexities of modern technology. As long as you have high skill levels and proper expertise (which you will obtain by completing a doctorate degree) you can look forward to favorable employment opportunities. The computer science PhD salary for those who have a doctorate will be high and in the region of$67,790 to $128,870 per year and more.
Computer and Information Technology Doctoral Programs
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MS in Information Systems -Technology Management
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science
- Doctor of Philosophy in Technology and Innovation Management (PhD-TIM) Information Systems
- Doctor of Philosophy in Technology and Innovation Management (PhD-TIM) Engineering Management
- And more...
- Join UC Berkeley Executive Education’s Blockchain online program to explore the possibilities.
- Blockchain is the underlying technology that makes crypto currencies like Bitcoin and Ripple possible
- Learn block chain with UC Berkeley Executive Education online.
- Machine Learning
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right IT, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Software and Application Development, Web Design or Technology Management Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Information Technology Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect IT/Computer Science Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!