Physical education degree and health education degree programs are offered at the bachelor and master degree level via campus online distance learning depending on the institution. Physical education courses are taken in primary and secondary education to encourages psychomotor learning using play and movement. Physical ed activities are aimed at promoting physical fitness, instilling knowledge about physical importance of mental well-being a well as strategies. Specializations in online physical education masters degree programs include recreation, health education, physical education, sports, and coaching. Physical education programs are increasingly important as health issues related to heart diseases and obesity infiltrate K-12 schools. This makes P. E teachers and health instructors more important in the lives of students. A degree in physical and health education provides the skills and knowledge that K-12 teachers, instructors, personal trainers, and coaches need to work with their students and clients in order to help them maintain a healthy and active lifestyle.
Health and Physical Education Training and Courses
Physical and health education degrees courses are taught at various levels including bachelor, master, and doctoral degree level. Students in physical education graduate programs can concentrate or specialize in a given area for example kinesiology, various sports, and exercise techniques. Many online physical education degree programs may have a campus component to their online courses, dealing with the physical or practical aspects of their courses. Physical education master courses may include:
- Health and physical education (P.E. Theory)
- Sports psychology
- Intercollegiate sports coaching
- First Aid training
- CPR training
- Sports psychology
- Exercise physiology
- Instructional methods for physical and health education
- Measurement, assessment and evaluation in P.E. Programs
In addition, the degree may also include training in leadership, program assessment and evaluation. Sports-specific courses might include: Swimming, team sports, gymnastics, racquet sports, physical fitness, aquatic sports and aerobic fitness.
A bachelor’s degree is required to work in K-12 education and in addition, all states require teachers to be certified or licensed, particularly for those working in public school settings. Many states also require teachers to take continuing education classes, for example a Master’s Degree in Physical and Health Education. In Physical education degree online programs, master’s and doctoral degree students would also be required to take research methods courses in order to complete their dissertation thesis, or independent research project.
Physical and Health Education Careers
With an advanced degree in physical and health education you can work in various positions including serving as an athletic program director. You can also work as a researcher or a health education professor in higher education.
With a master’s degree in physical educating you can specialize in a particular area for example child health education, physical activity, epidemiology, sports psychology, stress management, kinesiology, bio-mechanics, exercise physiology, and physical fitness assessment. Graduates of physical education degree online programs who enjoy the K-12 environment continue to work with their students even after graduation. Beyond K-12 education, the list of career options is extensive:
- Athletic Training
- Health Educating
- Physical Education Teacher
- Fitness Specialist
- Personal Trainer
- Recreation Specialist
- Dance Medicine and Science
- Geriatric Fitness Specialist
- Athletic Coach
- Dance Teacher
- Sports Management
- Sports Medicine
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
The career outlook is therefore positive looking. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics reports projected employment of health educators is expected to grow by 18%. In 2008, the median annual income for health educators was $44,000 in May 2008. The middle 50% made between $33,170 and $60,810.
The lowest 10% earned less than $26,210 while the highest 10% earned over $78,260. The BLS reports that kindergarten, middle school, elementary and secondary school teachers in public K-12 education made around $50,000-$55,000 in 2009. Sports coaches earn around $35,000 annually. Coaching and athletic positions are expected to increase by 25% from 2008 to 2018. Physical education degree programs continue to be popular as the need to a healthy nation continues to be a factor in success in learning.
Health and Physical Education Programs
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Exercise Science (Bachelor of Science) - Online
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Doctor of Education (EDD)
- M.S.Ed - Middle Level Education (Grades 5-8)
- M.S.Ed - Mathematics (Grades 5-8)
- And more...
- Want to be a Teacher or Educational Administrator? Learn why GCU could be the best place to start! Here's why:
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate education programs, including TESOL, early childhood ed, elementary ed, secondary ed & more.
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both. We also offer evening classes!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Financial Options: Numerous financing options available, including scholarships for academic achievement.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.S. in Math for Secondary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
Online Learning at Concordia University-Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- Higher Education (EDD)
- Looking for an Online Education Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!