What do public health degrees entail? Are you interested in working on a community level in a health profession? Learn more about public health masters and doctorate PhD programs. Public health is the art and science and art of preventing disease, prolonging life and promoting health through education and informed by communities and individuals. Many health professionals for example nurses, doctors and therapists go on to get public health degree programs, which are more often offered at the graduate level of study where you can specialize in an area like epidemiology. It is important to note that the program is most often offered at the graduate degree level.
Public Health Education and Training
Often, this area of training is offered at the masters degree (MPH) level, where students come into the program with experience and credentials in a related health are or social science degree. Students in an online masters degree in public health are required to take courses in biology, human anatomy and physiology, and chemistry at a minimum, in addition to other courses such as research methods. Many public health training programs, and specialized programs such as a respiratory therapist degree or health education program, look for high GRE and GPA in addition to career achievement, professional experience, and career goals.
This is one area in health care that continues to grow, and there are several directions you can take in your academic career path including:
- MPH – Master of Public Health
- MHA – Master of Health Administration
- MHSA – Master of Health Services Administration
- MSPH – Master of Science in Public Health
- DrPH – Doctor of Public Health
- PhD – Doctor of Philosophy
In general, the MPH degree will include courses in a number of related disciplines, such as administration, epidemiology, environmental health, and behavioral health. A Master of Science (MSc) in Public Health with a specialization in Management and Policy, for example, will prepare you for such a career. Specialized degrees such as a Master of Health Administration will be more focused on a specific topic.
While the curriculum may vary courses may include:
- International public health
- Human Nutrition
- Tropical health
- Infectious Disease
- Statistical Methods in Public Health
- Environmental Health
- Principles of Epidemiology
- Program Evaluation
- Needs Assessment
- Health Policy
Careers in Public Health
If you work toward a doctorate degree, this training will prepare you for careers in research, teaching at the graduate and undergraduate level, working in policy analysis and development, and other high-level and administrative positions. Other jobs may include program evaluation and monitoring, environmental health, health inspection, education, and direct health care provision.
Professionals in public health work in various settings and confront complex health issues which involve providing access to health care, controlling infectious disease, and reducing environmental hazards, violence, substance abuse, and injury. One example the dental health program which prepares professionals working in their field and want to learn more about the public health components of dentistry.
Many people also work as health care managers and social workers. Educating the community on good health practices is a key component in the career, so if you enjoy teaching, this might be a career option for you.
Careers in public health involve matching clients with medical services and resources, for example medical insurance, health education resources, and monitoring and evaluation programs. There are various related areas of study including:
- Health Education
- Health care Management
- Public Safety Management
- Health Services Administration
- Environmental Health
- International Health
- Direct Care Practice
- Program Management
- Biomedical Laboratory
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
Depending on ones professional experience and level of formal studies salaries may range between $25,000 to $32,000. With higher level qualifications income may range from $30,000 to $40,000 but with a few years of experience in the field can command salaries exceeding $50,000.
With some specializations such as Health Services Administration, Epidemiology, Environmental Health, and Program Management, salaries can go up to between $86,000 and $162,000 a year. The United States Department of Labor reports that opportunities for public health workers is expected to increase by 22% over the next several years. This is twice the growth rate of the job market overall.
Public Health Programs
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Ph.D. in Public Policy and Administration - Health Policy
- Ph.D. in Public Health - Epidemiology
- Ph.D. in Health Services - Public Health Policy
- And more...
As a leader in education, Regis is dedicated to offering programs with a holistic view of health services that are designed for the future of the field. Through cutting-edge coursework, industry-active faculty members, and an array of majors and graduate programs, Regis has been able to positively impact the educational community, health services landscape, and personal lives of students nationwide.
- Online Master of Public Health - Epidemiology Concentration
- Online Master of Public Health
- Online Master of Public Health - Health Policy and Management Concentration
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- Master of Public Health
- MSHUS - Family and Community Services
- MSHUS - Organizational and Social Services
- And more...
Located in the breathtaking Sonoran desert of southern Arizona and within an international border region, The University of Arizona is consistently ranked as a top public research university, offering graduate degrees in more than one hundred fields and is widely recognized for its cutting-edge research and innovation. The University of Arizona also offers Graduate Interdisciplinary Programs which enables the fusion of ideas, techniques, and expertise from the traditional academic fields to provide for the evolution of modern and imaginative methods of research, and the creation of new fields of endeavor.
- Master of Public Health Online
- Boldly pursue your future in business with an online degree from Post University
- Degrees at all levels with concentrations in Finance, Marketing, and much more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelors Programs for Veterans by US News & World Report
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Master of Public Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Public Administration in Healthcare Policy & Ethics
- Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling
- Master of Public Administration in Non-profit & Faith Based Organizations
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- MS Organizational Leadership - Public Administration
Trident University International provides an exceptional online educational experience for its students – diverse adult learners including current and former members of the military family. Adhering to the highest standards of academic excellence, faculty and staff foster a learning community where students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills to enhance their lives and advance their careers.
- Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences
Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL. We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training. So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at UltimateMedical.edu/gainful-employment and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement, and occupations.
- A.S. - Healthcare Management
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!