What do public health degrees entail? Are you interested in working on a community level in a health profession? Learn more about public health masters and doctorate PhD programs. Public health is the art and science and art of preventing disease, prolonging life and promoting health through education and informed by communities and individuals. Many health professionals for example nurses, doctors and therapists go on to get public health degree programs, which are more often offered at the graduate level of study where you can specialize in an area like epidemiology. It is important to note that the program is most often offered at the graduate degree level.
Public Health Education and Training
Often, this area of training is offered at the masters degree (MPH) level, where students come into the program with experience and credentials in a related health are or social science degree. Students in an online masters degree in public health are required to take courses in biology, human anatomy and physiology, and chemistry at a minimum, in addition to other courses such as research methods. Many public health training programs, and specialized programs such as a respiratory therapist degree or health education program, look for high GRE and GPA in addition to career achievement, professional experience, and career goals.
This is one area in health care that continues to grow, and there are several directions you can take in your academic career path including:
- MPH – Master of Public Health
- MHA – Master of Health Administration
- MHSA – Master of Health Services Administration
- MSPH – Master of Science in Public Health
- DrPH – Doctor of Public Health
- PhD – Doctor of Philosophy
In general, the MPH degree will include courses in a number of related disciplines, such as administration, epidemiology, environmental health, and behavioral health. A Master of Science (MSc) in Public Health with a specialization in Management and Policy, for example, will prepare you for such a career. Specialized degrees such as a Master of Health Administration will be more focused on a specific topic.
While the curriculum may vary courses may include:
- International public health
- Human Nutrition
- Tropical health
- Infectious Disease
- Statistical Methods in Public Health
- Environmental Health
- Principles of Epidemiology
- Program Evaluation
- Needs Assessment
- Health Policy
Careers in Public Health
If you work toward a doctorate degree, this training will prepare you for careers in research, teaching at the graduate and undergraduate level, working in policy analysis and development, and other high-level and administrative positions. Other jobs may include program evaluation and monitoring, environmental health, health inspection, education, and direct health care provision.
Professionals in public health work in various settings and confront complex health issues which involve providing access to health care, controlling infectious disease, and reducing environmental hazards, violence, substance abuse, and injury. One example the dental health program which prepares professionals working in their field and want to learn more about the public health components of dentistry.
Many people also work as health care managers and social workers. Educating the community on good health practices is a key component in the career, so if you enjoy teaching, this might be a career option for you.
Careers in public health involve matching clients with medical services and resources, for example medical insurance, health education resources, and monitoring and evaluation programs. There are various related areas of study including:
- Health Education
- Health care Management
- Public Safety Management
- Health Services Administration
- Environmental Health
- International Health
- Direct Care Practice
- Program Management
- Biomedical Laboratory
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
Depending on ones professional experience and level of formal studies salaries may range between $25,000 to $32,000. With higher level qualifications income may range from $30,000 to $40,000 but with a few years of experience in the field can command salaries exceeding $50,000.
With some specializations such as Health Services Administration, Epidemiology, Environmental Health, and Program Management, salaries can go up to between $86,000 and $162,000 a year. The United States Department of Labor reports that opportunities for public health workers is expected to increase by 22% over the next several years. This is twice the growth rate of the job market overall.
Public Health Programs
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Ph.D. in Public Policy and Administration - Health Policy
- Ph.D. in Public Health - Epidemiology
- Ph.D. in Health Services - Public Health Policy
- And more...
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- Master of Public Health
- MSHUS - Family and Community Services
- MSHUS - Organizational and Social Services
- And more...
At SNHU, we believe everyone should have greater access to higher education. That’s why we offer over 200 accredited degree programs, flexible class schedules, and some of the lowest online tuition rates in the nation. We offer military tuition discounts up to 30% toward online undergraduate and graduate degree programs for U.S. service members, both full and part time, and the spouses of those on active duty.
- BS in Community Health Education
- BS in Public Health
- MS Public Health
- And more...
As a leader in education, Regis is dedicated to offering programs with a holistic view of health services that are designed for the future of the field. Through cutting-edge coursework, industry-active faculty members, and an array of majors and graduate programs, Regis has been able to positively impact the educational community, health services landscape, and personal lives of students nationwide.
- Online Master of Public Health - Epidemiology Concentration
- Online Master of Public Health
- Online Master of Public Health - Health Policy and Management Concentration
- And more...
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do.
- That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL.
- We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training.
- So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
- A.S. - Healthcare Management
- Interested in Helping Others? Get Educated in the Medical Field.
- Medical Assisting, Nursing, Health Sciences Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!