What do public health degrees entail? Are you interested in working on a community level in a health profession? Learn more about public health masters and doctorate PhD programs. Public health is the art and science and art of preventing disease, prolonging life and promoting health through education and informed by communities and individuals. Many health professionals for example nurses, doctors and therapists go on to get public health degree programs, which are more often offered at the graduate level of study where you can specialize in an area like epidemiology. It is important to note that the program is most often offered at the graduate degree level.
Public Health Education and Training
Often, this area of training is offered at the masters degree (MPH) level, where students come into the program with experience and credentials in a related health are or social science degree. Students in an online masters degree in public health are required to take courses in biology, human anatomy and physiology, and chemistry at a minimum, in addition to other courses such as research methods. Many public health training programs, and specialized programs such as a respiratory therapist degree or health education program, look for high GRE and GPA in addition to career achievement, professional experience, and career goals.
This is one area in health care that continues to grow, and there are several directions you can take in your academic career path including:
- MPH – Master of Public Health
- MHA – Master of Health Administration
- MHSA – Master of Health Services Administration
- MSPH – Master of Science in Public Health
- DrPH – Doctor of Public Health
- PhD – Doctor of Philosophy
In general, the MPH degree will include courses in a number of related disciplines, such as administration, epidemiology, environmental health, and behavioral health. A Master of Science (MSc) in Public Health with a specialization in Management and Policy, for example, will prepare you for such a career. Specialized degrees such as a Master of Health Administration will be more focused on a specific topic.
While the curriculum may vary courses may include:
- International public health
- Human Nutrition
- Tropical health
- Infectious Disease
- Statistical Methods in Public Health
- Environmental Health
- Principles of Epidemiology
- Program Evaluation
- Needs Assessment
- Health Policy
Careers in Public Health
If you work toward a doctorate degree, this training will prepare you for careers in research, teaching at the graduate and undergraduate level, working in policy analysis and development, and other high-level and administrative positions. Other jobs may include program evaluation and monitoring, environmental health, health inspection, education, and direct health care provision.
Professionals in public health work in various settings and confront complex health issues which involve providing access to health care, controlling infectious disease, and reducing environmental hazards, violence, substance abuse, and injury. One example the dental health program which prepares professionals working in their field and want to learn more about the public health components of dentistry.
Many people also work as health care managers and social workers. Educating the community on good health practices is a key component in the career, so if you enjoy teaching, this might be a career option for you.
Careers in public health involve matching clients with medical services and resources, for example medical insurance, health education resources, and monitoring and evaluation programs. There are various related areas of study including:
- Health Education
- Health care Management
- Public Safety Management
- Health Services Administration
- Environmental Health
- International Health
- Direct Care Practice
- Program Management
- Biomedical Laboratory
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
Depending on ones professional experience and level of formal studies salaries may range between $25,000 to $32,000. With higher level qualifications income may range from $30,000 to $40,000 but with a few years of experience in the field can command salaries exceeding $50,000.
With some specializations such as Health Services Administration, Epidemiology, Environmental Health, and Program Management, salaries can go up to between $86,000 and $162,000 a year. The United States Department of Labor reports that opportunities for public health workers is expected to increase by 22% over the next several years. This is twice the growth rate of the job market overall.
Public Health Programs
Located in the breathtaking Sonoran desert of southern Arizona and within an international border region, The University of Arizona is consistently ranked as a top public research university, offering graduate degrees in more than one hundred fields and is widely recognized for its cutting-edge research and innovation. The University of Arizona also offers Graduate Interdisciplinary Programs which enables the fusion of ideas, techniques, and expertise from the traditional academic fields to provide for the evolution of modern and imaginative methods of research, and the creation of new fields of endeavor.
- Master of Public Health Online
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Public Administration in Healthcare Policy & Ethics
- Master of Public Administration in Non-profit & Faith Based Organizations
- Master of Public Administration
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Ph.D. in Public Policy and Administration - Health Policy
- Ph.D. in Public Health - Epidemiology
- Ph.D. in Health Services - Public Health Policy
- And more...
At the University of Nevada, Reno, we teach public health practitioners how to look beyond physical conditions and consider environmental, economic and sociological factors that impact individual and community health, happiness and well-being.
The online Master of Public Health in Public Health Practice is designed to prepare you for employment in nearly any area of the public health field.
The lessons learned in your online courses can prepare you for whatever area of public health you’re interested in. Courses include the following:
- Public Health Biology
- Research Methods
- Leadership in Health
- Health Policy
- Finance and Budget
- Health Informatics
- Program Planning and Evaluation
- Public Health Law, Ethics and Policy Analysis
Our 100% onlineand CEPH-accredited MPH program gives you the flexibility to enhance your expertise — and your career — without having to put your life on hold.
- Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Public Administration
- Master of Science in Management - Public Administration
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- And more...
- Looking for an Online Healthcare Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!