What do public health degrees entail? Are you interested in working on a community level in a health profession? Learn more about public health masters and doctorate PhD programs. Public health is the art and science and art of preventing disease, prolonging life and promoting health through education and informed by communities and individuals. Many health professionals for example nurses, doctors and therapists go on to get public health degree programs, which are more often offered at the graduate level of study where you can specialize in an area like epidemiology. It is important to note that the program is most often offered at the graduate degree level.
Public Health Education and Training
Often, this area of training is offered at the masters degree (MPH) level, where students come into the program with experience and credentials in a related health are or social science degree. Students in an online masters degree in public health are required to take courses in biology, human anatomy and physiology, and chemistry at a minimum, in addition to other courses such as research methods. Many public health training programs, and specialized programs such as a respiratory therapist degree or health education program, look for high GRE and GPA in addition to career achievement, professional experience, and career goals.
This is one area in health care that continues to grow, and there are several directions you can take in your academic career path including:
- MPH – Master of Public Health
- MHA – Master of Health Administration
- MHSA – Master of Health Services Administration
- MSPH – Master of Science in Public Health
- DrPH – Doctor of Public Health
- PhD – Doctor of Philosophy
In general, the MPH degree will include courses in a number of related disciplines, such as administration, epidemiology, environmental health, and behavioral health. A Master of Science (MSc) in Public Health with a specialization in Management and Policy, for example, will prepare you for such a career. Specialized degrees such as a Master of Health Administration will be more focused on a specific topic.
While the curriculum may vary courses may include:
- International public health
- Human Nutrition
- Tropical health
- Infectious Disease
- Statistical Methods in Public Health
- Environmental Health
- Principles of Epidemiology
- Program Evaluation
- Needs Assessment
- Health Policy
Careers in Public Health
If you work toward a doctorate degree, this training will prepare you for careers in research, teaching at the graduate and undergraduate level, working in policy analysis and development, and other high-level and administrative positions. Other jobs may include program evaluation and monitoring, environmental health, health inspection, education, and direct health care provision.
Professionals in public health work in various settings and confront complex health issues which involve providing access to health care, controlling infectious disease, and reducing environmental hazards, violence, substance abuse, and injury. One example the dental health program which prepares professionals working in their field and want to learn more about the public health components of dentistry.
Many people also work as health care managers and social workers. Educating the community on good health practices is a key component in the career, so if you enjoy teaching, this might be a career option for you.
Careers in public health involve matching clients with medical services and resources, for example medical insurance, health education resources, and monitoring and evaluation programs. There are various related areas of study including:
- Health Education
- Health care Management
- Public Safety Management
- Health Services Administration
- Environmental Health
- International Health
- Direct Care Practice
- Program Management
- Biomedical Laboratory
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
Depending on ones professional experience and level of formal studies salaries may range between $25,000 to $32,000. With higher level qualifications income may range from $30,000 to $40,000 but with a few years of experience in the field can command salaries exceeding $50,000.
With some specializations such as Health Services Administration, Epidemiology, Environmental Health, and Program Management, salaries can go up to between $86,000 and $162,000 a year. The United States Department of Labor reports that opportunities for public health workers is expected to increase by 22% over the next several years. This is twice the growth rate of the job market overall.
Public Health Programs
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Public Administration in Healthcare Policy & Ethics
- Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling
- Master of Public Administration in Non-profit & Faith Based Organizations
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Public Health: Nutrition
- Master of Public Health: Health Promotion
- Master of Public Health Global Health
- And more...
- Earn a Master of Public Health Online in 24 Months.
- UNC’s Online Master of Public Health Program, Bachelor’s degree required.
- Online MPH From #1 Public School of Public Health
- UNC’s Online MPH | GRE, GMAT or MCAT Required | Nutrition and MPH/RD concentrations
- MPH/ RD : ACEND - accredited, 28 or 36 months to complete
- Nutrition : 20 or 28 months to complete
- Online Master of Public Health program with a Nutrition concentration
- Online Master of Public Health/Registered Dietitian program
As a leader in education, Regis is dedicated to offering programs with a holistic view of health services that are designed for the future of the field. Through cutting-edge coursework, industry-active faculty members, and an array of majors and graduate programs, Regis has been able to positively impact the educational community, health services landscape, and personal lives of students nationwide.
- Online Master of Public Health - Epidemiology Concentration
- Online Master of Public Health
- Online Master of Public Health - Health Policy and Management Concentration
- And more...
- Boldly pursue your future in business with an online degree from Post University
- Degrees at all levels with concentrations in Finance, Marketing, and much more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelors Programs for Veterans by US News & World Report
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Master of Public Administration
Now you don't have to leave home to earn a Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree from Northern Illinois University!
- Master of Public Health - Health Services Management
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Healthcare Management
UNE Online, through the College of Graduate and Professional Studies, strives to enhance, expand and enrich learning opportunities in online programs. The UNE Online staff is highly invested in the success of each enrolled student from application to graduation and beyond.
- Graduate Certificate in Public Health
- Master of Public Health
- Online and campus-based bachelor’s and master’s programs available in Healthcare Management
- Experienced faculty keeps students up to date on topics like patient privacy, HIPAA laws, and insurance and billing issue
- Students explore important concepts, such as finance, community relations, and human resource management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Public Administration
- Master of Science in Management - Public Administration
- Master of Science in Management - Healthcare Management
- And more...
- Johnson & Wales Online - Learn on your schedule
- Focus on Your Future - Earn Your Master's Degree 100% Online from JWU!
- MPA - General
- MPA Non-Profit Management