Science education degree programs lead to specializations in curriculum design and development, teaching, educational administration, leadership, educational technology and other areas in teacher education. The area of science and mathematics at K-12 schools is an area that continues to need more and more trained teachers, especially to boost learning in elementary and secondary school education. Degree programs are offered at the bachelor and master degree level. These teacher education programs are designed to train administrators and teachers how to implement effective science programs in K-12 learning environments. The curriculum for science education at many colleges is integrated with teacher licensure requirements. Science education programs are designed for students who aspire to learn the pedagogical techniques for teaching science in K-12 learning environments. Science education teacher prep ration and certification is one of the areas in K-12 education that has a high demand due to a shortage of teachers in this area of practice.
Science Education Training Programs
Most online science education college requirements including those in the master of science education programs are similar to those in on campus programs. This means that students are expected to take core science education courses. The bachelor online science education degree takes four years to complete while the master science education degree can take one to two years on a full-time basis. Often the degree is offered as a concentration or specialization under the curriculum and instruction degree program.
The online science education masters degree (MS or MEd) in Science Education is targeted for teachers who wish to their instructional strategies and administrators who wish to be more involved in curriculum design and development of science curriculum, as well as educational policy. Some science education courses at the science education master degree level may include:
- Educational Technology in Science Education
- Educational Research Methods
- Psychology of Learning and Learners
- Action Research
- The Nature of Science
- Conceptual Development in Science
- Elementary School Science Curriculum
- Secondary School Science Curriculum
- Learning Assessment in Science Programs
Students would be required to take science education online degree courses in science degree programs in colleges of arts and sciences in areas that they might like to specialize in. This might include courses in biology, chemistry, physics, earth science, astronomy, geology, etc. The mater’s degree program often includes a thesis or independents research project. As with other teacher education programs, a practicum experience or internship is a requirement before the degree can be conferred.
The degree in science education is designed to help students attain their teaching certification or licensure for working with K-12 students. Pre-service teachers take science education online degree courses in teaching pedagogy and methodology, as well as an internship or teaching practicum in elementary school, middle school, or high school. A teaching licence is a requirement for all 50 States and the District of Columbia in order to work in K-12 public education sectors. An exam would be taken at the state level after the degree is earned.
Common master’s degrees for secondary teachers are the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degree and the Master of Education (MEd) degree. You can also earn an Educational Specialist degree (EdS) specializing in science education. A Doctor of Education (EdD) or a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) may also be a future option.
Science Education Careers
With a science education online degree, or one earned on campus for that matter, it is likely that you would work in middle school and high school levels, i.e. grades 6-8, and 9-12. This will depend on your certification. Within your area of specialization you would teaching science courses that may include physics, chemistry, biology, earth science, geology and other areas. You may also elect to go into other areas like curriculum development or educational leadership with additional training and experience. As an elementary school teacher (K-5) you may be teaching science courses in addition to other subject areas.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
Qualified science teachers and administrators are in high demand in K-12 schools. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) estimates that elementary school teachers in 2008 earned a median annual income as follows: Kindergarten, elementary, middle, and secondary school teachers ranged from $47,100 to $51,180. The lowest 10% earned $30,970 to $34,280 and the 10% earned between $75,190 and $80,970.
Education administrators, who typically have a graduate degree in the field, commanded an estimated $82,120 in 2007. Career outlook with a science education online degree is strong as government policies and funding favor science teaching and curriculum development. And according to the BLS, employment of kindergarten, elementary, middle, and secondary school teachers is expected to grow by around 13% between 2008 and 2018.
Science Education Programs
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Science
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Career and Technical Education
- And more...
Virginia International University is a non-profit institution in Fairfax, VA with a goal of making quality education affordable to students from around the world. The university was established in 1998 by President Dr. Isa Sarac. Virginia International University’s mission is to educate students from all over the world through a highly qualified, equally diverse faculty and staff, while striving to provide academic programs at the graduate, undergraduate, and certificate levels that engender the intellectual curiosity, critical thinking, and creativity urgently needed in the global community and with a commitment to providing students with the knowledge to achieve excellence in research, scholarship, and creative endeavors.
- Masters of Education in secondary Science
- MS in Applied Linguistics (Program Management)
- MS in Applied Linguistics (Educational Technology)
- Want to be a Teacher or Educational Administrator? Learn why GCU could be the best place to start! Here's why:
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate education programs, including TESOL, early childhood ed, elementary ed, secondary ed & more.
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both. We also offer evening classes!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Financial Options: Numerous financing options available, including scholarships for academic achievement.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.S. in Math for Secondary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
- And more...
- 100% Online Education Degrees - Ashford University
- Break new ground in your education career with your BA or MA in Education.
- Bachelor’s, Master’s & Associate's programs to prepare you for the invaluable role of guiding learners or shaping educational initiatives.
- Help Build the World's Future. Apply today!
- Education, Technology & Online Learning - Bachelors
- Education, Technology & Online Learning - Masters
- Higher Education - Bachelors
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction
- Education Specialist: Curriculum and Instruction/Elementary Education
- Bachelor of Science: Elementary Education in Interdisciplinary Studies
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Higher Education Track
- Master of Education in Higher Education
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has provided quality student-centered, career-focused education. Keiser University Online offers degree programs online to prepare students for in-demand professions. Degrees are offered with a curriculum that is in pace with technology and workforce demand trends in business, criminal justice, health care, information technology and more. Our “one-class-at-a-time” approach allows busy students to focus on their education and balance the demands of work and family.
Why Keiser University Online?
Online Convenience, Personalized Attention
- Education Specialist in Instructional Design and Technology
- Master of Science in Education
- Master of Science in Education - Teaching and Learning
- And more...