Science education degree programs lead to specializations in curriculum design and development, teaching, educational administration, leadership, educational technology and other areas in teacher education. The area of science and mathematics at K-12 schools is an area that continues to need more and more trained teachers, especially to boost learning in elementary and secondary school education. Degree programs are offered at the bachelor and master degree level. These teacher education programs are designed to train administrators and teachers how to implement effective science programs in K-12 learning environments. The curriculum for science education at many colleges is integrated with teacher licensure requirements. Science education programs are designed for students who aspire to learn the pedagogical techniques for teaching science in K-12 learning environments. Science education teacher prep ration and certification is one of the areas in K-12 education that has a high demand due to a shortage of teachers in this area of practice.
Science Education Training Programs
Most online science education college requirements including those in the master of science education programs are similar to those in on campus programs. This means that students are expected to take core science education courses. The bachelor online science education degree takes four years to complete while the master science education degree can take one to two years on a full-time basis. Often the degree is offered as a concentration or specialization under the curriculum and instruction degree program.
The online science education masters degree (MS or MEd) in Science Education is targeted for teachers who wish to their instructional strategies and administrators who wish to be more involved in curriculum design and development of science curriculum, as well as educational policy. Some science education courses at the science education master degree level may include:
- Educational Technology in Science Education
- Educational Research Methods
- Psychology of Learning and Learners
- Action Research
- The Nature of Science
- Conceptual Development in Science
- Elementary School Science Curriculum
- Secondary School Science Curriculum
- Learning Assessment in Science Programs
Students would be required to take science education online degree courses in science degree programs in colleges of arts and sciences in areas that they might like to specialize in. This might include courses in biology, chemistry, physics, earth science, astronomy, geology, etc. The mater’s degree program often includes a thesis or independents research project. As with other teacher education programs, a practicum experience or internship is a requirement before the degree can be conferred.
The degree in science education is designed to help students attain their teaching certification or licensure for working with K-12 students. Pre-service teachers take science education online degree courses in teaching pedagogy and methodology, as well as an internship or teaching practicum in elementary school, middle school, or high school. A teaching licence is a requirement for all 50 States and the District of Columbia in order to work in K-12 public education sectors. An exam would be taken at the state level after the degree is earned.
Common master’s degrees for secondary teachers are the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) degree and the Master of Education (MEd) degree. You can also earn an Educational Specialist degree (EdS) specializing in science education. A Doctor of Education (EdD) or a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) may also be a future option.
Science Education Careers
With a science education online degree, or one earned on campus for that matter, it is likely that you would work in middle school and high school levels, i.e. grades 6-8, and 9-12. This will depend on your certification. Within your area of specialization you would teaching science courses that may include physics, chemistry, biology, earth science, geology and other areas. You may also elect to go into other areas like curriculum development or educational leadership with additional training and experience. As an elementary school teacher (K-5) you may be teaching science courses in addition to other subject areas.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
Qualified science teachers and administrators are in high demand in K-12 schools. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) estimates that elementary school teachers in 2008 earned a median annual income as follows: Kindergarten, elementary, middle, and secondary school teachers ranged from $47,100 to $51,180. The lowest 10% earned $30,970 to $34,280 and the 10% earned between $75,190 and $80,970.
Education administrators, who typically have a graduate degree in the field, commanded an estimated $82,120 in 2007. Career outlook with a science education online degree is strong as government policies and funding favor science teaching and curriculum development. And according to the BLS, employment of kindergarten, elementary, middle, and secondary school teachers is expected to grow by around 13% between 2008 and 2018.
Science Education Programs
Online Learning at Concordia University-Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Science
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Career and Technical Education
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Math (Master of Education) - Online
- Technology Education (Master of Education) - Online
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S.Ed - Middle Level Education (Grades 5-8)
- M.S.Ed - Mathematics (Grades 5-8)
- M.S.Ed - Literacy and Learning in the Content Areas (Grades 6-12)
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.S. in Math for Secondary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction
- Education Specialist: Curriculum and Instruction/Elementary Education
- Bachelor of Science: Elementary Education in Interdisciplinary Studies
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- E-Learning - EdS
- International Education - EdS
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!