Social studies education programs are ideal for pre-service and in-service teachers who want to specialize in humanities and other social sciences. In this article we look at how to become a social studies teacher. Social studies is an integrated area of study of various social sciences and humanities subjects aimed at promoting civic competence. It is the taught as a set of courses in primary and secondary schools or elementary, middle, and high schools.The field of social studies is broad, and students learn how to research and explore various topics related to the social sciences. These areas are: history, civic education and government, economics, psychology, geography, sociology, anthropology, and other humanities. In order to teach in K-12, all states require teachers to have a teaching certification or license. Most private schools also have this requirement. The aim of social studies education is to help students learn more about social, cultural, and physical world. It provides a context where students can understand the structure and processes of society.
Social Studies Courses and Training
The purpose of social studies is the preparation of effective citizens both nationally and internationally. It is both a single discipline and multi-discipline, having its own research base as well as drawing from other disciplines like political science, economics, geography, history etc. Social studies courses might include the following or similar:
- Methods of Research in Education
- Action Research
- Social-cultural Foundations of Education
- Teaching in the Social Sciences
- Social Studies Concept
- The Psychology of Learning and Learners
- Multicultural Education
Social studies majors are required to take various courses in the arts and humanities. Further, courses in the program would require you complete practicum courses or internship courses toward the end of the program of study. In many cases the social studies education degree is offered under a curriculum and instruction degree as a specialization or concentration, taking courses like U.S. history, U.S. government, world history, geography, and civics.
Often the degree is offered as a Bachelor of science in Education (BEd), Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) and the Master of Science in Education (M.Ed.). You may also pursue an Educational Specialist degree (EdS) specializing in social studies education, a Doctor of Education (EdD) or a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) down the line.
These can be courses in political science, history, geography, religion, etc. In addition, teachers are required to take teacher education courses that include classroom management, educational research, educational psychology, pedagogical methods, etc. In addition, pre-service and in-service teachers are required to have state-issued teaching certification, which is acquired by taking a standardized exam.
Social Studies Teaching Careers
Social studies education prepares one in a wide range of professional career goals that include classroom teaching, working in museum education programs, curriculum development of social studies instructional materials, social studies curriculum specialists, and educational administration and leadership positions. With your degree, you would likely be teaching high school social studies courses in areas that include history, political science, economics, geography, sociology and psychology, etc.
Depending on the state social studies teachers need to be certified. To teach in elementary school teachers should have at least majored in education and minored in social studies. To teach in high school teachers should have a more specific degree as well as possess teaching certification in an area such as
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
The The United States Department of Labor (BLS) estimates that elementary school teachers in 2008 earned a median annual income as follows: Kindergarten, elementary, middle, and secondary school teachers ranged from $47,100 to $51,180. The lowest 10% earned $30,970 to $34,280 and the 10% earned between $75,190 and $80,970. Education administrators, who typically have a graduate degree in the field, commanded an estimated $82,120 in 2007.
And according to the BLS, science teachers and administrators are in high demand in K-12 schools especially in areas like mathematics, science, and bilingual education. The BLS projects positive employment opportunities for qualified, certified mathematics educators and curriculum developers in order to meet the demand.
Employment of kindergarten, elementary, middle, and secondary school teachers is expected to grow by around 13% between 2008 and 2018. in addition to graduating from a campus on online social studies education accredited program, being certified or licensed in for all public education schools and a majority of private schools in necessary.
Social Studies and Social Science Education Programs
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Doctor of Education - Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment (K-12)
- Doctor of Education (EDD)
- M.S.Ed - Middle Level Education (Grades 5-8)
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.S. in Math for Secondary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
Online Learning at Concordia University-Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Methods & Curriculum
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Technology Education (Master of Education) - Online
- Looking for an Online Education Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!