Social studies education programs are ideal for pre-service and in-service teachers who want to specialize in humanities and other social sciences. In this article we look at how to become a social studies teacher. Social studies is an integrated area of study of various social sciences and humanities subjects aimed at promoting civic competence. It is the taught as a set of courses in primary and secondary schools or elementary, middle, and high schools.The field of social studies is broad, and students learn how to research and explore various topics related to the social sciences. These areas are: history, civic education and government, economics, psychology, geography, sociology, anthropology, and other humanities. In order to teach in K-12, all states require teachers to have a teaching certification or license. Most private schools also have this requirement. The aim of social studies education is to help students learn more about social, cultural, and physical world. It provides a context where students can understand the structure and processes of society.
Social Studies Courses and Training
The purpose of social studies is the preparation of effective citizens both nationally and internationally. It is both a single discipline and multi-discipline, having its own research base as well as drawing from other disciplines like political science, economics, geography, history etc. Social studies courses might include the following or similar:
- Methods of Research in Education
- Action Research
- Social-cultural Foundations of Education
- Teaching in the Social Sciences
- Social Studies Concept
- The Psychology of Learning and Learners
- Multicultural Education
Social studies majors are required to take various courses in the arts and humanities. Further, courses in the program would require you complete practicum courses or internship courses toward the end of the program of study. In many cases the social studies education degree is offered under a curriculum and instruction degree as a specialization or concentration, taking courses like U.S. history, U.S. government, world history, geography, and civics.
Often the degree is offered as a Bachelor of science in Education (BEd), Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) and the Master of Science in Education (M.Ed.). You may also pursue an Educational Specialist degree (EdS) specializing in social studies education, a Doctor of Education (EdD) or a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) down the line.
These can be courses in political science, history, geography, religion, etc. In addition, teachers are required to take teacher education courses that include classroom management, educational research, educational psychology, pedagogical methods, etc. In addition, pre-service and in-service teachers are required to have state-issued teaching certification, which is acquired by taking a standardized exam.
Social Studies Teaching Careers
Social studies education prepares one in a wide range of professional career goals that include classroom teaching, working in museum education programs, curriculum development of social studies instructional materials, social studies curriculum specialists, and educational administration and leadership positions. With your degree, you would likely be teaching high school social studies courses in areas that include history, political science, economics, geography, sociology and psychology, etc.
Depending on the state social studies teachers need to be certified. To teach in elementary school teachers should have at least majored in education and minored in social studies. To teach in high school teachers should have a more specific degree as well as possess teaching certification in an area such as
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
The The United States Department of Labor (BLS) estimates that elementary school teachers in 2008 earned a median annual income as follows: Kindergarten, elementary, middle, and secondary school teachers ranged from $47,100 to $51,180. The lowest 10% earned $30,970 to $34,280 and the 10% earned between $75,190 and $80,970. Education administrators, who typically have a graduate degree in the field, commanded an estimated $82,120 in 2007.
And according to the BLS, science teachers and administrators are in high demand in K-12 schools especially in areas like mathematics, science, and bilingual education. The BLS projects positive employment opportunities for qualified, certified mathematics educators and curriculum developers in order to meet the demand.
Employment of kindergarten, elementary, middle, and secondary school teachers is expected to grow by around 13% between 2008 and 2018. in addition to graduating from a campus on online social studies education accredited program, being certified or licensed in for all public education schools and a majority of private schools in necessary.
Social Studies and Social Science Education Programs
- Post brings 127+ years of campus success to flexible online degrees in Education
- 100% online with degrees at all levels
- Connect with other professionals in education around the world and across industries
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- Master of Education in Instructional Design & Technology
- Master of Education
- Master of Education / Online Teaching
- And more...
- Prepare for a career of learning, leading and serving with an online degree from GCU's College of Education!
- Engage, instruct and inspire students of all ages with one of GCU's many degree focuses.
- Offering initial teacher preparation options for bachelor's and master's in education.
- Take advantage of the small class sizes in both our online and campus colleges.
- For over 60 years, GCU has proudly maintained its rich heritage as a prestigious teaching college.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (NITL)
- B.S. in Math for Secondary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MED: Higher Education: Instructional Design and Technology
- MED: Curriculum and Instruction: General Education
- MED: Curriculum and Instruction: Elementary Education
- And more...
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Methods & Curriculum
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MS in Higher Education - Online College Teaching
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
CTU Classes Are As Close As The Mobile App.
Take classes with the help of your smartphone, tablet or laptop. CTU’s online bachelor’s programs were ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News & World Report.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!