Social studies education programs are ideal for pre-service and in-service teachers who want to specialize in humanities and other social sciences. In this article we look at how to become a social studies teacher. Social studies is an integrated area of study of various social sciences and humanities subjects aimed at promoting civic competence. It is the taught as a set of courses in primary and secondary schools or elementary, middle, and high schools.The field of social studies is broad, and students learn how to research and explore various topics related to the social sciences. These areas are: history, civic education and government, economics, psychology, geography, sociology, anthropology, and other humanities. In order to teach in K-12, all states require teachers to have a teaching certification or license. Most private schools also have this requirement. The aim of social studies education is to help students learn more about social, cultural, and physical world. It provides a context where students can understand the structure and processes of society.
Social Studies Courses and Training
The purpose of social studies is the preparation of effective citizens both nationally and internationally. It is both a single discipline and multi-discipline, having its own research base as well as drawing from other disciplines like political science, economics, geography, history etc. Social studies courses might include the following or similar:
- Methods of Research in Education
- Action Research
- Social-cultural Foundations of Education
- Teaching in the Social Sciences
- Social Studies Concept
- The Psychology of Learning and Learners
- Multicultural Education
Social studies majors are required to take various courses in the arts and humanities. Further, courses in the program would require you complete practicum courses or internship courses toward the end of the program of study. In many cases the social studies education degree is offered under a curriculum and instruction degree as a specialization or concentration, taking courses like U.S. history, U.S. government, world history, geography, and civics.
Often the degree is offered as a Bachelor of science in Education (BEd), Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) and the Master of Science in Education (M.Ed.). You may also pursue an Educational Specialist degree (EdS) specializing in social studies education, a Doctor of Education (EdD) or a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) down the line.
These can be courses in political science, history, geography, religion, etc. In addition, teachers are required to take teacher education courses that include classroom management, educational research, educational psychology, pedagogical methods, etc. In addition, pre-service and in-service teachers are required to have state-issued teaching certification, which is acquired by taking a standardized exam.
Social Studies Teaching Careers
Social studies education prepares one in a wide range of professional career goals that include classroom teaching, working in museum education programs, curriculum development of social studies instructional materials, social studies curriculum specialists, and educational administration and leadership positions. With your degree, you would likely be teaching high school social studies courses in areas that include history, political science, economics, geography, sociology and psychology, etc.
Depending on the state social studies teachers need to be certified. To teach in elementary school teachers should have at least majored in education and minored in social studies. To teach in high school teachers should have a more specific degree as well as possess teaching certification in an area such as
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
The The United States Department of Labor (BLS) estimates that elementary school teachers in 2008 earned a median annual income as follows: Kindergarten, elementary, middle, and secondary school teachers ranged from $47,100 to $51,180. The lowest 10% earned $30,970 to $34,280 and the 10% earned between $75,190 and $80,970. Education administrators, who typically have a graduate degree in the field, commanded an estimated $82,120 in 2007.
And according to the BLS, science teachers and administrators are in high demand in K-12 schools especially in areas like mathematics, science, and bilingual education. The BLS projects positive employment opportunities for qualified, certified mathematics educators and curriculum developers in order to meet the demand.
Employment of kindergarten, elementary, middle, and secondary school teachers is expected to grow by around 13% between 2008 and 2018. in addition to graduating from a campus on online social studies education accredited program, being certified or licensed in for all public education schools and a majority of private schools in necessary.
Social Studies and Social Science Education Programs
Building a better future starts in the classroom. The online master’s degree programs from American University’s School of Education are designed to prepare you to teach the next generation of difference makers.
- Masters in Teaching
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.S. in Math for Secondary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- M. Ed. in Teaching & Learning in Education Technology
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction
- Education Specialist: Curriculum and Instruction/Elementary Education
- And more...
For nearly a century, Columbia International University has educated people from a biblical worldview to impact the nations with the message of Christ. Today we continue that effort, offering 21 degree programs for residential undergraduate students, as well as graduate and seminary programs, professional certificates, and convenient online programs for working adults.
- Master of Education (Instruction & Learning)
- Instructional Design & Technology
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Curriculum and Teaching - Master of Education
- Instructional Leadership - Doctor of Education
- Instructional Leadership - PhD in Education
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year