A special education degree may be ideal for you if you are a patient person who loves working with learners with special needs. Working as a special education teacher is rewarding and fulfilling. You will work with students to? Are you always looking for the potential in every human being? If so, consider a rewarding career in helping children with special needs reach their fullest potential: become a special education teacher by taking online special education classes. You can learn more about Certificate/K12-Education programs with special education options. As a special education teacher you would work with students who are either learning disabled or developmentally challenged or you could also work with those who are gifted and talented. Some special needs include learning difficulties, communication difficulties, emotional and behavioral disorders, physical disabilities, and developmental disorders. The goal of special education is to help students maximize on their learning outcome through specialized teaching and learning techniques and resources as well as technology.
Special Education Training
A degree program in special education covers special education courses in:
- Developing different curricula to suit individual needs
- Developing Individualized Education Programs (IEP) for individual students
- Strategic management of disruptive behavior
- Inclusion of technology in classroom learning
- Handling students with various disabilities
Students also take courses in teaching and curriculum development. In addition special education programs focus on courses in disciplinary action, counseling, behavioral management, and classroom management. Some online special education classes you might take would include:
- Educational Psychology
- Learning and Behavior Disabilities
- Technology in Special Education
- Assistive Technologies
- Legal Issues in Special Education
- Child Growth and Development
- Instructional Strategies for Teaching Children with Disabilities
Some special education degree programs require specialization for example in gifted education, deaf education, or working with visually impaired students. Other programs might just offer generalized special education degrees. The last year of the is spent student teaching in a classroom supervised by a certified special education teacher, i.e. the practicum or internship experience.
In order to work in public education, all US States and DC require special education teachers to be licensed, which means that one must take a a licensing exam upon completion of degree requirements. Special education masters and doctorate programs offer advanced training and research opportunities.
Careers in Special Education
A special education career is one that is most rewarding and fulfilling, but it requires teachers to be intrinsically motivated. Special education teachers adapt and accommodate the general education curriculum to meet the individual unique learning needs of each student. These can include mental retardation, learning disabilities, emotional disturbances, hearing or visual impairment, and autism, speech and language impairments, behavioral disabilities, and physical needs.
A special education masters online degree takes about two years to complete, and is a preferred certification for many special education teaching positions. It is also ideal for teachers who have a bachelor’s degree in another field but want to teach special ed students.
Some special education master degree courses might include developing IEPs (Individualized Education programs, management of emotional and disruptive behavior, use of inclusive technology and assistive technology, inclusive education, and inclusive assessment. Other general education classes might include educational psychology, legal issues in special education, child and adolescent development, and instructional strategies for students with disabilities.
Special education affords motivated, caring individuals the opportunity to have a positive, transformative impact upon the lives of young students with special needs. Special education teachers are required to be licensed. This is offered with a bachelors or masters online special education degree.
Special Education and Teaching Programs
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S.Ed - Special Education (non-licensure) (Grades K-12)
- M.S.Ed - Science (Grades K-8)
- Doctor of Education - Special Education
- And more...
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: The Inclusive Classroom
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- And more...
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
- Instructional Design & Technology
At SNHU, we believe everyone should have greater access to higher education. That’s why we offer over 200 accredited degree programs, flexible class schedules, and some of the lowest online tuition rates in the nation. We offer military tuition discounts up to 30% toward online undergraduate and graduate degree programs for U.S. service members, both full and part time, and the spouses of those on active duty.
- M.Ed. Curr & Ins - Dyslexia Studies & LBLD
- M.Ed. Curriculum Instr - Technology
- Looking for an Online Education Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!