A special education degree may be ideal for you if you are a patient person who loves working with learners with special needs. Working as a special education teacher is rewarding and fulfilling. You will work with students to? Are you always looking for the potential in every human being? If so, consider a rewarding career in helping children with special needs reach their fullest potential: become a special education teacher by taking online special education classes. You can learn more about Certificate/K12-Education programs with special education options. As a special education teacher you would work with students who are either learning disabled or developmentally challenged or you could also work with those who are gifted and talented. Some special needs include learning difficulties, communication difficulties, emotional and behavioral disorders, physical disabilities, and developmental disorders. The goal of special education is to help students maximize on their learning outcome through specialized teaching and learning techniques and resources as well as technology.
Special Education Training
A degree program in special education covers special education courses in:
- Developing different curricula to suit individual needs
- Developing Individualized Education Programs (IEP) for individual students
- Strategic management of disruptive behavior
- Inclusion of technology in classroom learning
- Handling students with various disabilities
Students also take courses in teaching and curriculum development. In addition special education programs focus on courses in disciplinary action, counseling, behavioral management, and classroom management. Some online special education classes you might take would include:
- Educational Psychology
- Learning and Behavior Disabilities
- Technology in Special Education
- Assistive Technologies
- Legal Issues in Special Education
- Child Growth and Development
- Instructional Strategies for Teaching Children with Disabilities
Some special education degree programs require specialization for example in gifted education, deaf education, or working with visually impaired students. Other programs might just offer generalized special education degrees. The last year of the is spent student teaching in a classroom supervised by a certified special education teacher, i.e. the practicum or internship experience.
In order to work in public education, all US States and DC require special education teachers to be licensed, which means that one must take a a licensing exam upon completion of degree requirements. Special education masters and doctorate programs offer advanced training and research opportunities.
Careers in Special Education
A special education career is one that is most rewarding and fulfilling, but it requires teachers to be intrinsically motivated. Special education teachers adapt and accommodate the general education curriculum to meet the individual unique learning needs of each student. These can include mental retardation, learning disabilities, emotional disturbances, hearing or visual impairment, and autism, speech and language impairments, behavioral disabilities, and physical needs.
A special education masters online degree takes about two years to complete, and is a preferred certification for many special education teaching positions. It is also ideal for teachers who have a bachelor’s degree in another field but want to teach special ed students.
Some special education master degree courses might include developing IEPs (Individualized Education programs, management of emotional and disruptive behavior, use of inclusive technology and assistive technology, inclusive education, and inclusive assessment. Other general education classes might include educational psychology, legal issues in special education, child and adolescent development, and instructional strategies for students with disabilities.
Special education affords motivated, caring individuals the opportunity to have a positive, transformative impact upon the lives of young students with special needs. Special education teachers are required to be licensed. This is offered with a bachelors or masters online special education degree.
Special Education and Teaching Programs
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Special Education
- M.A. in Autism Spectrum Disorders
- B.S. in Elementary Education / Special Education (Dual Major)
- And more...
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: The Inclusive Classroom (SPED)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Career and Technical Education
- And more...
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- M.Ed. - Program Specialist in Gifted Specialist
- M.Ed. Teaching and Learning - Special Education
- MA in Teaching - Special Education
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Special Education - 7-12 Certification (M.Ed. plus Certification) - Online
- Special Education - Autism Spectrum Disorder (M.Ed.) - Online
- Autism Spectrum Disorders (Certification) - Online
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science: Education
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology