A special education degree may be ideal for you if you are a patient person who loves working with learners with special needs. Working as a special education teacher is rewarding and fulfilling. You will work with students to? Are you always looking for the potential in every human being? If so, consider a rewarding career in helping children with special needs reach their fullest potential: become a special education teacher by taking online special education classes. You can learn more about Certificate/K12-Education programs with special education options. As a special education teacher you would work with students who are either learning disabled or developmentally challenged or you could also work with those who are gifted and talented. Some special needs include learning difficulties, communication difficulties, emotional and behavioral disorders, physical disabilities, and developmental disorders. The goal of special education is to help students maximize on their learning outcome through specialized teaching and learning techniques and resources as well as technology.
Special Education Training
A degree program in special education covers special education courses in:
- Developing different curricula to suit individual needs
- Developing Individualized Education Programs (IEP) for individual students
- Strategic management of disruptive behavior
- Inclusion of technology in classroom learning
- Handling students with various disabilities
Students also take courses in teaching and curriculum development. In addition special education programs focus on courses in disciplinary action, counseling, behavioral management, and classroom management. Some online special education classes you might take would include:
- Educational Psychology
- Learning and Behavior Disabilities
- Technology in Special Education
- Assistive Technologies
- Legal Issues in Special Education
- Child Growth and Development
- Instructional Strategies for Teaching Children with Disabilities
Some special education degree programs require specialization for example in gifted education, deaf education, or working with visually impaired students. Other programs might just offer generalized special education degrees. The last year of the is spent student teaching in a classroom supervised by a certified special education teacher, i.e. the practicum or internship experience.
In order to work in public education, all US States and DC require special education teachers to be licensed, which means that one must take a a licensing exam upon completion of degree requirements. Special education masters and doctorate programs offer advanced training and research opportunities.
Careers in Special Education
A special education career is one that is most rewarding and fulfilling, but it requires teachers to be intrinsically motivated. Special education teachers adapt and accommodate the general education curriculum to meet the individual unique learning needs of each student. These can include mental retardation, learning disabilities, emotional disturbances, hearing or visual impairment, and autism, speech and language impairments, behavioral disabilities, and physical needs.
A special education masters online degree takes about two years to complete, and is a preferred certification for many special education teaching positions. It is also ideal for teachers who have a bachelor’s degree in another field but want to teach special ed students.
Some special education master degree courses might include developing IEPs (Individualized Education programs, management of emotional and disruptive behavior, use of inclusive technology and assistive technology, inclusive education, and inclusive assessment. Other general education classes might include educational psychology, legal issues in special education, child and adolescent development, and instructional strategies for students with disabilities.
Special education affords motivated, caring individuals the opportunity to have a positive, transformative impact upon the lives of young students with special needs. Special education teachers are required to be licensed. This is offered with a bachelors or masters online special education degree.
Special Education and Teaching Programs
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: The Inclusive Classroom
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- MA in Teaching - Special Education
- MED: Curriculum and Instruction: General Education
- MED: Curriculum and Instruction: Elementary Education
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Education, Teaching and Learning
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Special Education - Doctor of Education
- Special Education - Master of Education
- Special Education - EdS
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
- Early Childhood Education
For nearly a century, Columbia International University has educated people from a biblical worldview to impact the nations with the message of Christ. Today we continue that effort, offering 21 degree programs for residential undergraduate students, as well as graduate and seminary programs, professional certificates, and convenient online programs for working adults.
- Master of Education (Instruction & Learning)
- Early Childhood Education - JEE.13