With a teacher aide certificate, you would be working directly with the teacher to offer support in the classroom, field trips, library and media centers, and school playgrounds. Teacher aides are important for supporting learning and academic development. With a certificate or associate’s degree in paraprofessional education, you gain the requisite skills to perform effectively in the classroom. You would be responsible for working with students in small teams or individually, in order to reinforce learning, and to provide guidance in completing assignments and projects. A college education is becoming increasingly important in order to become a teacher aide.
Teacher Aide Education and Training
In general, teacher aide programs are offered at the associate degree and certificate level. A Teacher Aide certificate is also known as a Paraprofessional Certificate or a Certificate in Early Childhood Studies depending on the context.
The paraprofessional certificate takes about twelve to eighteen months to complete a program of study. Students are exposed to the basics of child development in addition to classroom teaching techniques. Courses might include educational psychology, developmental psychology, teaching students with disabilities and special needs, development of instructional materials, child development, and educational technology courses.
The associate degree program of study is designed to offer a comprehensive background in early childhood education. It takes two years to complete and student may be required to take courses in general education, i.e. liberal arts and sciences, in addition to specific courses in child development, classroom management, and instructional techniques. In addition to having the degree or certificate, some states require teacher aides be licensed.
Teacher Aide Careers
Teacher assistants have several duties in addition to assisting, supervising, and instructing students. They perform clerical tasks for example record keeping, filing and typing, record keeping, and maintaining classroom supplies. Related area may include checking students homework, grading assignments, tests and projects, operating educational technology equipment. The teacher aide also performs important tasks for example taking attendance, recording grades or attendance, monitoring students, preparing instructional materials and setting up educational technology and equipment such as smart boards, and computers.
Some teacher aides go on to complete their bachelor and master degree in teaching after gaining classroom experience as a teacher assistant. Teacher’s assistants work in classroom setting mainly in pre-K and kindergarten, elementary and middle school, as well as in special education classrooms.
Teacher aide positions are expected to grow at the same rate as teaching positions. The United States Department of Labor projects that the employment of teacher assistants is expected to continue to be important.
This growth is fueled by an increase in class sizes, the need for more individualized instruction, especially for students with special needs, and rising enrollments in schools. Having experience as working with special needs students, a campus or online teacher aide certificate, and the ability to speak a foreign language is a plus.
Teacher Assistant Programs
Building a better future starts in the classroom. The online master’s degree programs from American University’s School of Education are designed to prepare you to teach the next generation of difference makers.
- Masters in Teaching
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- AA in Education (Non-Licensure)
- Bachelor of Science: Early Childhood Education in Interdisciplinary Studies
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
Online Learning at Concordia University-Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Career and Technical Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- MEd - Reading Education
- E-Learning - EdS
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
- MSE Education Specialist
For nearly a century, Columbia International University has educated people from a biblical worldview to impact the nations with the message of Christ. Today we continue that effort, offering 21 degree programs for residential undergraduate students, as well as graduate and seminary programs, professional certificates, and convenient online programs for working adults.
- Master of Education (Instruction & Learning)
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Education in Higher Education