With a teacher aide certificate, you would be working directly with the teacher to offer support in the classroom, field trips, library and media centers, and school playgrounds. Teacher aides are important for supporting learning and academic development. With a certificate or associate’s degree in paraprofessional education, you gain the requisite skills to perform effectively in the classroom. You would be responsible for working with students in small teams or individually, in order to reinforce learning, and to provide guidance in completing assignments and projects. A college education is becoming increasingly important in order to become a teacher aide.
Teacher Aide Education and Training
In general, teacher aide programs are offered at the associate degree and certificate level. A Teacher Aide certificate is also known as a Paraprofessional Certificate or a Certificate in Early Childhood Studies depending on the context.
The paraprofessional certificate takes about twelve to eighteen months to complete a program of study. Students are exposed to the basics of child development in addition to classroom teaching techniques. Courses might include educational psychology, developmental psychology, teaching students with disabilities and special needs, development of instructional materials, child development, and educational technology courses.
The associate degree program of study is designed to offer a comprehensive background in early childhood education. It takes two years to complete and student may be required to take courses in general education, i.e. liberal arts and sciences, in addition to specific courses in child development, classroom management, and instructional techniques. In addition to having the degree or certificate, some states require teacher aides be licensed.
Teacher Aide Careers
Teacher assistants have several duties in addition to assisting, supervising, and instructing students. They perform clerical tasks for example record keeping, filing and typing, record keeping, and maintaining classroom supplies. Related area may include checking students homework, grading assignments, tests and projects, operating educational technology equipment. The teacher aide also performs important tasks for example taking attendance, recording grades or attendance, monitoring students, preparing instructional materials and setting up educational technology and equipment such as smart boards, and computers.
Some teacher aides go on to complete their bachelor and master degree in teaching after gaining classroom experience as a teacher assistant. Teacher’s assistants work in classroom setting mainly in pre-K and kindergarten, elementary and middle school, as well as in special education classrooms.
Teacher aide positions are expected to grow at the same rate as teaching positions. The United States Department of Labor projects that the employment of teacher assistants is expected to continue to be important.
This growth is fueled by an increase in class sizes, the need for more individualized instruction, especially for students with special needs, and rising enrollments in schools. Having experience as working with special needs students, a campus or online teacher aide certificate, and the ability to speak a foreign language is a plus.
Teacher Assistant Programs
- Are you ready to advance or start your career inspiring minds and changing lives? Apply to join GCU's prestigious teaching community.
- GCU recognizes the diverse needs in education and creates meaningful experiences through all bachelor's and master's degree programs.
- Traditional college or online programs, GCU offers education degrees for a variety of learning needs – take your pick!
- Earn your master's or bachelor's degree online, on-campus or take individual courses for specific studies.
- Join the GCU heritage and take advantage of the opportunity to engage, instruct and inspire.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- AA in Education (Non-Licensure)
- Bachelor of Science: Early Childhood Education in Interdisciplinary Studies
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science: Education
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- MEd - Reading Education
- E-Learning - EdS
- And more...
- M.Ed. Curr & Ins - Dyslexia Studies & LBLD
- M.Ed. Curriculum Instr - Technology
- M.Ed. Curriculum Instr - Ed Leadership
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
- Early Childhood Education
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Technology Education (Master of Education) - Online