With a teacher aide certificate, you would be working directly with the teacher to offer support in the classroom, field trips, library and media centers, and school playgrounds. Teacher aides are important for supporting learning and academic development. With a certificate or associate’s degree in paraprofessional education, you gain the requisite skills to perform effectively in the classroom. You would be responsible for working with students in small teams or individually, in order to reinforce learning, and to provide guidance in completing assignments and projects. A college education is becoming increasingly important in order to become a teacher aide.
Teacher Aide Education and Training
In general, teacher aide programs are offered at the associate degree and certificate level. A Teacher Aide certificate is also known as a Paraprofessional Certificate or a Certificate in Early Childhood Studies depending on the context.
The paraprofessional certificate takes about twelve to eighteen months to complete a program of study. Students are exposed to the basics of child development in addition to classroom teaching techniques. Courses might include educational psychology, developmental psychology, teaching students with disabilities and special needs, development of instructional materials, child development, and educational technology courses.
The associate degree program of study is designed to offer a comprehensive background in early childhood education. It takes two years to complete and student may be required to take courses in general education, i.e. liberal arts and sciences, in addition to specific courses in child development, classroom management, and instructional techniques. In addition to having the degree or certificate, some states require teacher aides be licensed.
Teacher Aide Careers
Teacher assistants have several duties in addition to assisting, supervising, and instructing students. They perform clerical tasks for example record keeping, filing and typing, record keeping, and maintaining classroom supplies. Related area may include checking students homework, grading assignments, tests and projects, operating educational technology equipment. The teacher aide also performs important tasks for example taking attendance, recording grades or attendance, monitoring students, preparing instructional materials and setting up educational technology and equipment such as smart boards, and computers.
Some teacher aides go on to complete their bachelor and master degree in teaching after gaining classroom experience as a teacher assistant. Teacher’s assistants work in classroom setting mainly in pre-K and kindergarten, elementary and middle school, as well as in special education classrooms.
Teacher aide positions are expected to grow at the same rate as teaching positions. The United States Department of Labor projects that the employment of teacher assistants is expected to continue to be important.
This growth is fueled by an increase in class sizes, the need for more individualized instruction, especially for students with special needs, and rising enrollments in schools. Having experience as working with special needs students, a campus or online teacher aide certificate, and the ability to speak a foreign language is a plus.
Teacher Assistant Programs
- Post brings 127+ years of campus success to flexible online degrees in Education
- 100% online with degrees at all levels
- Connect with other professionals in education around the world and across industries
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- Master of Education - TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (NITL)
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Doctor of Education (EDD)
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Curriculum and Teaching - EdS
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- MEd - Reading Education
- And more...
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes! 100% Free Match to Top Colleges
- Get Matched to the Perfect Education Online or Campus-Based Degree Programs from Top Colleges Here
- Earn Your Degree in Early Childhood Education, Special Education, Adult Education and More
- Study Online to Learn at Your Own Pace and Pursue a Career You’ll Love
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Earning Your Degree from a Top University!