Teacher education programs at many levels including a Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree or PhD in K12 Education. With a teacher education degree, you will prepare to teach at various levels including early childhood, elementary, middle, and secondary school levels. You can concentrate in areas that include special education, music education, art education, social studies education, science education, mathematics education, physical education, curriculum and instruction, library media, school counseling, literacy and reading education, and instructional technology just to mention a few. Learn more about specific specializations and teaching certification and teacher education masters degree programs below which offer education courses and teaching license programs.
Teacher Certification and Licensure Training
Some Areas of Study in Education Degrees and Teacher Licensure Programs are:
- Elementary education degree
- Early childhood education courses
- Education bachelors degree
- Education certificate
- Education masters
- Masters degree teaching
- PhD in education
Teacher education students take specialized teacher training courses and complete a supervised classroom teaching internship or teaching practicum in later semesters. Teacher education program related courses may include:
- Educational technology or instructional technology
- Pedagogical techniques
- Curriculum design
- Assessment and evaluation
- Child development and learning
- Classroom management
- Trends in K-12 education
Teaching Licensing and Certifications
All public school teachers in all states in public kindergarten, elementary, middle and high schools are required to have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in elementary education. They are also required to be certified or licensed. Those who teach in private schools are sometimes not required to be licensed. Teachers are also usually required to complete annual professional development classes (CEUs) to retain their teaching certification. In addition, doing a background check may be a requirement.
All states offer an alternative approach to certification for those already holding a a bachelor’s degree and subsequently want to teach in public schools.
All states require public kindergarten and elementary school teachers to have at least.
Some states also require school teachers to major in a content area, such as math or science especially in middle and secondary education programs. They typically enroll in their university’s teacher preparation program and also take classes in education and child psychology in addition to those required by their major.
Careers in Teachers
Education is one of the largest industries in the United States. Careers include working as teachers, trainers, administrators, librarians, counselors, curriculum designers, and instructional technologists to mention a few areas. Other career options for those who have graduated from a teacher education program are:
- Teachers: Pre-school, Kindergarten, Elementary School, Middle School, Junior High School,
- High School, & Special Education
- School Psychologist
- Deans of Students and Academic Dean
- School Nurses
- Principals and Assistant Principal
- School Administrator
- College / University Faculty
- Career Counselor
- Education Researcher
- Textbook Writer
- Education Consultant
- Boards of Education
Teaching and Education Programs
- Education programs include BA in Education Studies, BA in Child Development, and MA in Education.
- Students can specialize in areas such as Education and Public Policy, Instructional Design, and Early Childhood Education.
- Courses cover concepts such as phonics, curriculum development, instruction for English language learners, and more.
- Flexible, online courses allow students to pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- BA/Education Studies
- MA/Education - No Specialization
- BA/Library Science and Media
- And more...
- Want to be a Teacher or Educational Administrator? Learn why GCU could be the best place to start! Here's why:
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate education programs, including TESOL, early childhood ed, elementary ed, secondary ed & more.
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both. We also offer evening classes!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Financial Options: Numerous financing options available, including scholarships for academic achievement.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.S. in Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Special Education
- B.S. in Early Childhood
- And more...
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Common Core State Standards Instructional Leader
- M.Ed. in Career and Technical Education
- And more...
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education*
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Leadership Coaching and Mentoring
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Coaching and Mentoring
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Administration
- And more...
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Higher Education Track
- Master of Education in Higher Education
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Secondary Education
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Elementary Education
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!