Teacher education programs at many levels including a Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree or PhD in K12 Education. With a teacher education degree, you will prepare to teach at various levels including early childhood, elementary, middle, and secondary school levels. You can concentrate in areas that include special education, music education, art education, social studies education, science education, mathematics education, physical education, curriculum and instruction, library media, school counseling, literacy and reading education, and instructional technology just to mention a few. Learn more about specific specializations and teaching certification and teacher education masters degree programs below which offer education courses and teaching license programs.
Teacher Certification and Licensure Training
Some Areas of Study in Education Degrees and Teacher Licensure Programs are:
- Elementary education degree
- Early childhood education courses
- Education bachelors degree
- Education certificate
- Education masters
- Masters degree teaching
- PhD in education
Teacher education students take specialized teacher training courses and complete a supervised classroom teaching internship or teaching practicum in later semesters. Teacher education program related courses may include:
- Educational technology or instructional technology
- Pedagogical techniques
- Curriculum design
- Assessment and evaluation
- Child development and learning
- Classroom management
- Trends in K-12 education
Teaching Licensing and Certifications
All public school teachers in all states in public kindergarten, elementary, middle and high schools are required to have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in elementary education. They are also required to be certified or licensed. Those who teach in private schools are sometimes not required to be licensed. Teachers are also usually required to complete annual professional development classes (CEUs) to retain their teaching certification. In addition, doing a background check may be a requirement.
All states offer an alternative approach to certification for those already holding a a bachelor’s degree and subsequently want to teach in public schools.
All states require public kindergarten and elementary school teachers to have at least.
Some states also require school teachers to major in a content area, such as math or science especially in middle and secondary education programs. They typically enroll in their university’s teacher preparation program and also take classes in education and child psychology in addition to those required by their major.
Careers in Teachers
Education is one of the largest industries in the United States. Careers include working as teachers, trainers, administrators, librarians, counselors, curriculum designers, and instructional technologists to mention a few areas. Other career options for those who have graduated from a teacher education program are:
- Teachers: Pre-school, Kindergarten, Elementary School, Middle School, Junior High School,
- High School, & Special Education
- School Psychologist
- Deans of Students and Academic Dean
- School Nurses
- Principals and Assistant Principal
- School Administrator
- College / University Faculty
- Career Counselor
- Education Researcher
- Textbook Writer
- Education Consultant
- Boards of Education
Teaching and Education Programs
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Doctor of Education (EDD)
- M.S. in Early Childhood Studies - Teaching Adults in the Early Childhood Field
- Doctor of Education - Early Childhood Education
- And more...
- Want to be a Teacher or Educational Administrator? Learn why GCU could be the best place to start! Here's why:
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate education programs, including TESOL, early childhood ed, elementary ed, secondary ed & more.
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both. We also offer evening classes!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Financial Options: Numerous financing options available, including scholarships for academic achievement.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.S. in Math for Secondary Education
- B.S. in Business for Secondary Education (ITL)
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education*
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Leadership Coaching and Mentoring
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Coaching and Mentoring
Online Learning at Concordia University-Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Curriculum & Instruction: Early Childhood Education
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Early Childhood Education (MEd plus Certification) - Online
- Early Childhood Education (Master of Education) - Online
- Early Childhood Education (Certificate Only) - Online
- And more...
- Looking for an Online Education Degree Program That May Improve Your Career Options?
- EarnMyDegree.com Can Help You Match Your Educational Goals With Your Desired Career.
- Whether You Are Looking to Earn a Degree Online, or Study at a Nearby Campus, This Is The Place to Connect With a College That May Be Ideal for You.
- Browse Through Our List Of Online Colleges and Traditional Schools to Determine Potential Places to Earn a Degree NOW!