Teacher education programs at many levels including a Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree or PhD in K12 Education. With a teacher education degree, you will prepare to teach at various levels including early childhood, elementary, middle, and secondary school levels. You can concentrate in areas that include special education, music education, art education, social studies education, science education, mathematics education, physical education, curriculum and instruction, library media, school counseling, literacy and reading education, and instructional technology just to mention a few. Learn more about specific specializations and teaching certification and teacher education masters degree programs below which offer education courses and teaching license programs.
Teacher Certification and Licensure Training
Some Areas of Study in Education Degrees and Teacher Licensure Programs are:
- Elementary education degree
- Early childhood education courses
- Education bachelors degree
- Education certificate
- Education masters
- Masters degree teaching
- PhD in education
Teacher education students take specialized teacher training courses and complete a supervised classroom teaching internship or teaching practicum in later semesters. Teacher education program related courses may include:
- Educational technology or instructional technology
- Pedagogical techniques
- Curriculum design
- Assessment and evaluation
- Child development and learning
- Classroom management
- Trends in K-12 education
Teaching Licensing and Certifications
All public school teachers in all states in public kindergarten, elementary, middle and high schools are required to have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in elementary education. They are also required to be certified or licensed. Those who teach in private schools are sometimes not required to be licensed. Teachers are also usually required to complete annual professional development classes (CEUs) to retain their teaching certification. In addition, doing a background check may be a requirement.
All states offer an alternative approach to certification for those already holding a a bachelor’s degree and subsequently want to teach in public schools.
All states require public kindergarten and elementary school teachers to have at least.
Some states also require school teachers to major in a content area, such as math or science especially in middle and secondary education programs. They typically enroll in their university’s teacher preparation program and also take classes in education and child psychology in addition to those required by their major.
Careers in Teachers
Education is one of the largest industries in the United States. Careers include working as teachers, trainers, administrators, librarians, counselors, curriculum designers, and instructional technologists to mention a few areas. Other career options for those who have graduated from a teacher education program are:
- Teachers: Pre-school, Kindergarten, Elementary School, Middle School, Junior High School,
- High School, & Special Education
- School Psychologist
- Deans of Students and Academic Dean
- School Nurses
- Principals and Assistant Principal
- School Administrator
- College / University Faculty
- Career Counselor
- Education Researcher
- Textbook Writer
- Education Consultant
- Boards of Education
Teaching and Education Programs
- Kaplan University Online Degree Programs
- Attend college on your terms. Kaplan University offers fully online degree programs that fit any schedule.
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Administration
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.S. in Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Special Education
- B.S. in Early Childhood
- And more...
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education*
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Leadership Coaching and Mentoring
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Coaching and Mentoring
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Early Childhood Education (MEd plus Certification) - Online
- Early Childhood Education (Master of Education) - Online
- Early Childhood Education (Certificate Only) - Online
- And more...
For nearly a century, Columbia International University has educated people from a biblical worldview to impact the nations with the message of Christ. Today we continue that effort, offering 21 degree programs for residential undergraduate students, as well as graduate and seminary programs, professional certificates, and convenient online programs for working adults.
- Master of Education (Instruction & Learning)
- Ph.D. in Educational Leadership