Teacher education programs at many levels including a Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree or PhD in K12 Education. With a teacher education degree, you will prepare to teach at various levels including early childhood, elementary, middle, and secondary school levels. You can concentrate in areas that include special education, music education, art education, social studies education, science education, mathematics education, physical education, curriculum and instruction, library media, school counseling, literacy and reading education, and instructional technology just to mention a few. Learn more about specific specializations and teaching certification and teacher education masters degree programs below which offer education courses and teaching license programs.
Teacher Certification and Licensure Training
Some Areas of Study in Education Degrees and Teacher Licensure Programs are:
- Elementary education degree
- Early childhood education courses
- Education bachelors degree
- Education certificate
- Education masters
- Masters degree teaching
- PhD in education
Teacher education students take specialized teacher training courses and complete a supervised classroom teaching internship or teaching practicum in later semesters. Teacher education program related courses may include:
- Educational technology or instructional technology
- Pedagogical techniques
- Curriculum design
- Assessment and evaluation
- Child development and learning
- Classroom management
- Trends in K-12 education
Teaching Licensing and Certifications
All public school teachers in all states in public kindergarten, elementary, middle and high schools are required to have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in elementary education. They are also required to be certified or licensed. Those who teach in private schools are sometimes not required to be licensed. Teachers are also usually required to complete annual professional development classes (CEUs) to retain their teaching certification. In addition, doing a background check may be a requirement.
All states offer an alternative approach to certification for those already holding a a bachelor’s degree and subsequently want to teach in public schools.
All states require public kindergarten and elementary school teachers to have at least.
Some states also require school teachers to major in a content area, such as math or science especially in middle and secondary education programs. They typically enroll in their university’s teacher preparation program and also take classes in education and child psychology in addition to those required by their major.
Careers in Teachers
Education is one of the largest industries in the United States. Careers include working as teachers, trainers, administrators, librarians, counselors, curriculum designers, and instructional technologists to mention a few areas. Other career options for those who have graduated from a teacher education program are:
- Teachers: Pre-school, Kindergarten, Elementary School, Middle School, Junior High School,
- High School, & Special Education
- School Psychologist
- Deans of Students and Academic Dean
- School Nurses
- Principals and Assistant Principal
- School Administrator
- College / University Faculty
- Career Counselor
- Education Researcher
- Textbook Writer
- Education Consultant
- Boards of Education
Teaching and Education Programs
- Education programs include BA in Education Studies, BA in Child Development, and MA in Education.
- Students can specialize in areas such as Education and Public Policy, Instructional Design, and Early Childhood Education.
- Courses cover concepts such as phonics, curriculum development, instruction for English language learners, and more.
- Flexible, online courses allow students to pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- BA/Education Studies
- MA/Education - No Specialization
- BA/Library Science and Media
- And more...
- Are you ready to advance or start your career inspiring minds and changing lives? Apply to join GCU's prestigious teaching community.
- GCU recognizes the diverse needs in education and creates meaningful experiences through all bachelor's and master's degree programs.
- Traditional college or online programs, GCU offers education degrees for a variety of learning needs – take your pick!
- Earn your master's or bachelor's degree online, on-campus or take individual courses for specific studies.
- Join the GCU heritage and take advantage of the opportunity to engage, instruct and inspire.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.S. in Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Special Education
- B.S. in Early Childhood
- And more...
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Administration
- And more...
- 100% Online Education Degrees - Ashford University
- Break new ground in your education career with your BA or MA in Education.
- Bachelor’s, Master’s & Associate's programs to prepare you for the invaluable role of guiding learners or shaping educational initiatives.
- Help Build the World's Future. Apply today!
- Education, Technology & Online Learning - Bachelors
- Education, Technology & Online Learning - Masters
- Higher Education - Bachelors
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Secondary Education
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Elementary Education
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership - Higher Education Track
- Master of Education in Higher Education
- Doctor of Education in Organizatonal Leadership
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction
- Education Specialist: Curriculum and Instruction/Elementary Education
- Bachelor of Science: Elementary Education in Interdisciplinary Studies
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science: Education
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education*
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Leadership Coaching and Mentoring
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Coaching and Mentoring