Teacher education programs at many levels including a Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree or PhD in K12 Education. With a teacher education degree, you will prepare to teach at various levels including early childhood, elementary, middle, and secondary school levels. You can concentrate in areas that include special education, music education, art education, social studies education, science education, mathematics education, physical education, curriculum and instruction, library media, school counseling, literacy and reading education, and instructional technology just to mention a few. Learn more about specific specializations and teaching certification and teacher education masters degree programs below which offer education courses and teaching license programs.
Teacher Certification and Licensure Training
Some Areas of Study in Education Degrees and Teacher Licensure Programs are:
- Elementary education degree
- Early childhood education courses
- Education bachelors degree
- Education certificate
- Education masters
- Masters degree teaching
- PhD in education
Teacher education students take specialized teacher training courses and complete a supervised classroom teaching internship or teaching practicum in later semesters. Teacher education program related courses may include:
- Educational technology or instructional technology
- Pedagogical techniques
- Curriculum design
- Assessment and evaluation
- Child development and learning
- Classroom management
- Trends in K-12 education
Teaching Licensing and Certifications
All public school teachers in all states in public kindergarten, elementary, middle and high schools are required to have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in elementary education. They are also required to be certified or licensed. Those who teach in private schools are sometimes not required to be licensed. Teachers are also usually required to complete annual professional development classes (CEUs) to retain their teaching certification. In addition, doing a background check may be a requirement.
All states offer an alternative approach to certification for those already holding a a bachelor’s degree and subsequently want to teach in public schools.
All states require public kindergarten and elementary school teachers to have at least.
Some states also require school teachers to major in a content area, such as math or science especially in middle and secondary education programs. They typically enroll in their university’s teacher preparation program and also take classes in education and child psychology in addition to those required by their major.
Careers in Teachers
Education is one of the largest industries in the United States. Careers include working as teachers, trainers, administrators, librarians, counselors, curriculum designers, and instructional technologists to mention a few areas. Other career options for those who have graduated from a teacher education program are:
- Teachers: Pre-school, Kindergarten, Elementary School, Middle School, Junior High School,
- High School, & Special Education
- School Psychologist
- Deans of Students and Academic Dean
- School Nurses
- Principals and Assistant Principal
- School Administrator
- College / University Faculty
- Career Counselor
- Education Researcher
- Textbook Writer
- Education Consultant
- Boards of Education
Teaching and Education Programs
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S.Ed - Elementary Reading and Mathematics (Grades K-6)
- M.S.Ed - Mathematics (Grades K-6)
- M.S.Ed - Elementary Reading and Literacy (Grades preK-6)
- And more...
- GCU proudly boasts 60 graduates who have gone on to become Teachers of the Year! Will you be the next?
- Considering the rewarding field of education? Take your first step with a bachelor's degree in education. Many emphases available.
- Already an educator? Advance your degree with a Master of Education or a Master of Arts in an education-related field. Many emphases available.
- Opportunities to specialize in exciting fields such as TESOL, educational administration, curriculum & instruction, special education & more!
- Contact GCU today and learn about the many degree options available to you as a current or aspiring educator!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- B.S. in Elementary Education
- And more...
Online Learning at Concordia University-Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Career and Technical Education
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- E-Learning - EdS
- MEd - Reading Education
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Curriculum and Instruction
- Education Specialist: Curriculum and Instruction/Elementary Education
- Bachelor of Science: Elementary Education in Interdisciplinary Studies
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Early Childhood Education (MEd plus Certification) - Online
- Early Childhood Education (Master of Education) - Online
- Early Childhood Education (Certificate Only) - Online
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!