A technology education degree program goes beyond learning about computers and peripherals. Its focus is on using technology to learn effectively and to increase productivity. The technology education PhD and technology education masters degrees are both specialization degrees. Technology education career professionals, also known as instructional technologists, are a specialized group of educators who have both the technical knowledge and pedagogical knowledge. They have a good understanding of technology tools, computer hardware and software programming and how this can be used in an educational or training environment. Though often associated with computers and technology, it goes beyond the use of technical gadgets in education, and deals with the analysis, design, development, implementation, and evaluation of learning and instruction. The goal is to improve the quality of teaching and learning.
Technology Education and Training
Online technology education courses are a mix of mathematics, science, and technology. In the specialization tracks, students may take technology education classes in computer programming languages, computer networking, database management, and desktop publishing. In addition they may take technology education degree courses in managing and evaluating instructional technology, educational psychology, instructional methods, etc.
The online technology education program is designed to bring technology to the classroom by teaching students various teaching and instructional strategies that engage students using technology in order to prepare them for the workplace, and also to improve performance. The technology education program is designed for corporate trainers, teachers, and administrators. Students upgrade their technology skills by also taking courses in advanced mathematics and science, and selected technology education courses. A technology education certificate may be an option for K-12 and teacher education programs that offer teacher certification.
With teacher shortages in areas like math and science, many state school systems have created a training initiative to encourage professionals from other fields like engineering and chemistry to earn teaching credentials. Such programs grant teaching licensure by state boards of education and in some cases the teachers can earn a technology endorsement or certificate as part of their programs.
Technology Education Careers
Technology educators work in many sectors including public and private school systems, higher education, business and corporate, and military and government. Some graduates of technology education degree programs choose to become technical consultants. In these positions they work as technology teachers, instructional designers, instructional technologists, curriculum designers, technology coordinators, corporate trainers, and project managers to mention a few areas.
Educational Technology and Related Programs
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- Master of Education - TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
- Master of Education in Instructional Design & Technology
- Make the impact through teaching you always knew you could at Keiser University
- Find degree programs in Education including Elementary Education and Leadership
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked as a top school in the nation by the Military Times Best for Vets Colleges
- Some degrees are taught in multiple languages including Spanish
- Master of Science in Education
- Master of Science in Education, Online Teaching and Learning
- PhD in Educational Leadership
- And more...
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Environmental Education
- And more...
- Personalized learning that’s guided by industry trends
- Technology-driven approach designed to help you reach your potential
- Access to real-world learning and strong thought leadership
- Convenient ways to complete your degree even with a busy schedule
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- Doctor of Education (EDD)
- Doctor of Education - Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment (K-12)
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.S. in Math for Secondary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
- And more...
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MS in Higher Education - Online College Teaching
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
- Master of Education in Higher Education
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- E-Learning - EdS
- International Education - EdS
- And more...