Technology jobs in schools often require some teaching experience, especially if you will be helping teachers with technology integration. If you are looking for a new position, you should post your resume to attract top employers. Educational technologists need to work with others in a team of teachers, library media specialists, and administrators. They need to have clear goals and strategies for integrating technology in instruction.
Generally, teaching experience is a great plus although not a requirement. A teaching background helps the technology coordinator see things more clearly from a teacher’s perspective. Positions require the job candidate to have a good understanding of both pedagogy and technology integration principles. Technology jobs in schools include technology integration and technology coordination.
- Collaborating with teachers to implement technology into the curriculum. Working as a team the coordinator and a teacher work towards integrating technology in relevant ways that meet established standards for content and technology.
- Coordinating technology education and training of students, teachers and staff.
- Coordinating the budget for computer resources including hardware, software, learning resources and training.
- Recommending and/or purchasing hardware, software and related resources.
- Identifying trends and resources in software, curriculum, and teaching strategies
- Creating, maintaining, and overseeing technology integration plans.
- Creating learning resources for teachers, staff and students. For example web sites, interactive programs, and databases. They etc that support teachers in integrating technology. Ideally, teachers will be guided and encouraged in developing their own resources and the coordinator will support these efforts, providing additional support as needed.
Try conducting a job search using the suggested keywords above when searching for technology jobs in schools. Combining various titles for example instructional designer, instructional technologist, or educational technologist, and expanding and narrowing your search by location will also give you a better variety of results. Terms used in the industry vary and it might be a good idea to update your resume to reflect your skills better.
Listings in e-Learning job banks as well as other listings are updated often. Therefore when looking for technology jobs in schools, it is advisable to check the sites often or have save your search criteria and have the listings delivered to you by email alert or RSS feed readers.