The technology management degree is a practical degree that offers students the theoretical and practical skills and to work as technology managers. In the technology management program, students learn how to operate and analyze technological systems. The current workplace is driven by technology. A degree in technology management prepares graduates to work with many technologies and also to maintain and troubleshoot IT problems. They also make recommendations on new and technology products. Completing the requirements for the degree in technology management provides students with the technical experience that employers seek. Hence, technology managers should be self-motivated and able to multitask in any given dynamic and challenging environment. This requires students to be able to troubleshoot, think strategically and manage projects. In addition technology managers must be current with the latest technology, and have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Technology Management Education and Training
Technology management courses that are required for graduation from a technology management program may include classes in fundamental information technology concepts, computer programming, telecommunications, database administration and management, and network technology. Students also need to have a strong business foundation. The technology management degree business courses include business management, business law, accounting, finance, economics, and business statistics.
Technology management degree programs are offered at associate, bachelor, and masters (MBA) levels. The technology management master degree is ideal for those who wish to work in managerial or supervisory positions. They deal more with specifically with the understanding of business and information systems, maintenance and requirements of the different information technologies. Specific online technology management degree course requirements may include:
- Computerized accounting
- Inventory control
- Network technologies
- Integrating information technology systems
- Evaluating and assessing IT systems
In the technology management masters programs, for example the MBA technology management program, the focus is on management aspects of technology. Technology management training is designed to help graduates to become analytical, evaluative thinkers, to be able to design, develop and implement the technology needs for the organization by applying strong management skills.
Technology management graduate programs also include learning about the financial aspects of technology management such as budgets. In addition course requirements may include strategic planning an organizational management and project management.
Although having a technology management license is not required in many states, many technology managers choose to obtain technology licenses and technology certifications in order to be more competitive.
Technology Management Careers
In order to be effective in an IT management position, technology managers must have experience working in the IT field in addition to a technology management degree or related field before moving into management. Technology managers must also possess the ability to look at the big picture of their organization.
Technology managers must be able to anticipate technology challenges, forecast the future needs of their company and plan future upgrades while maintaining existing day-to-day functionality. Incident response is also an important part of a technology manager’s responsibilities. Technology management is a very challenging field that is constantly changing and evolving. Technology managers must be able to react quickly and adapt themselves and their skills to stay competitive.
Graduates of the bachelor level technology management degree can work in technician and entry-level management positions while graduates with a technology management masters degree can start off working in middle and upper management in information technology and systems departments in many businesses and industries.
The most employable technology managers are those with both the theoretical and practical skills and knowledge in the latest information technology and management theory. Many positions also specify that that technology managers should be able to integrate business systems experience with emerging technologies. This is training that is provided in the online technology management degree.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
Career opportunities with an online technology management degree are potentially lucrative and technology management positions are expected to continue to grow as our personal and reliance on technology continues to increase. This is especially so at the master of technology management degree level. Opportunities for technology managers are available in various types of businesses and industries such manufacturing, software development, banking and finance, telecommunications, etc.
The United States Bureau of Labor and Statistics (BLS) reports that the median annual salary of information systems and technology managers is about $112,200. Over 50% of technology managers earn between $69,000 and $142,000.
With a technology management degree or related information technology qualifications, the annual median salary for computer systems analysts is about $76,000. The middle 50% of computer systems analysts earn between $45,500 and $59,000. As of 2011, the median Estimated Income for a Information Technology Manager in the was $107,915. The BLS also reports that the employment of computer and information systems managers is expected to increase by 17% between 2008 and 2018.
Information Technology Management Programs
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with multiple concentrations
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Concentrations help students tailor their education for the career they want
- Master of Business Administration - Technology Management
- Master of Science in Management IT and Project Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - IT
- And more...
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- MBA - Information Technology
- AAS in Business Administration - Information Processing
- BS in Business Administration - Information Systems Management
- And more...
- Online degrees include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, and MBA.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Business Administration specializations include Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- BA/Business Information Systems
- MBA - Information Systems
- BA/Business Administration - No Concentration
- And more...
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, Marketing, and more.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies
- Become the leader you know you can be @ Ashford University
- Apply Now! Classes Start Every Tuesday!
- MBA - Information Systems
- MBA - Business Economics
- MBA - Media Management
- And more...
- Ready to earn your business degree? If you identify with at least one of the statements below, GCU could be a good fit for you!
- I have worked in the business field for a number of years and want to further my education in order to qualify for promotions, leadership positions, and salary increases.
- I am graduating from high school and am interested in pursuing a career in a business field, but I first need the skills experience.
- I am interested in a Bachelor's, Master's or Doctoral degree in my specialized business area of focus.
- I want flexible course offerings, such as the option of 100% online, evening or campus classes.
- I need a university that provides quality educational offerings through academic excellence and real-world relevance. Does this sound like you? Apply today!
- B.S. in Business Administration
- Bridge (Doctor of Business Administration with an Emphasis in Data Analytics)
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Management
- MBA - Management
- MBA - Project Management
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right IT, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Software and Application Development, Web Design or Technology Management Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Information Technology Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect IT/Computer Science Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.