The technology management degree is a practical degree that offers students the theoretical and practical skills and to work as technology managers. In the technology management program, students learn how to operate and analyze technological systems. The current workplace is driven by technology. A degree in technology management prepares graduates to work with many technologies and also to maintain and troubleshoot IT problems. They also make recommendations on new and technology products. Completing the requirements for the degree in technology management provides students with the technical experience that employers seek. Hence, technology managers should be self-motivated and able to multitask in any given dynamic and challenging environment. This requires students to be able to troubleshoot, think strategically and manage projects. In addition technology managers must be current with the latest technology, and have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Technology Management Education and Training
Technology management courses that are required for graduation from a technology management program may include classes in fundamental information technology concepts, computer programming, telecommunications, database administration and management, and network technology. Students also need to have a strong business foundation. The technology management degree business courses include business management, business law, accounting, finance, economics, and business statistics.
Technology management degree programs are offered at associate, bachelor, and masters (MBA) levels. The technology management master degree is ideal for those who wish to work in managerial or supervisory positions. They deal more with specifically with the understanding of business and information systems, maintenance and requirements of the different information technologies. Specific online technology management degree course requirements may include:
- Computerized accounting
- Inventory control
- Network technologies
- Integrating information technology systems
- Evaluating and assessing IT systems
In the technology management masters programs, for example the MBA technology management program, the focus is on management aspects of technology. Technology management training is designed to help graduates to become analytical, evaluative thinkers, to be able to design, develop and implement the technology needs for the organization by applying strong management skills.
Technology management graduate programs also include learning about the financial aspects of technology management such as budgets. In addition course requirements may include strategic planning an organizational management and project management.
Although having a technology management license is not required in many states, many technology managers choose to obtain technology licenses and technology certifications in order to be more competitive.
Technology Management Careers
In order to be effective in an IT management position, technology managers must have experience working in the IT field in addition to a technology management degree or related field before moving into management. Technology managers must also possess the ability to look at the big picture of their organization.
Technology managers must be able to anticipate technology challenges, forecast the future needs of their company and plan future upgrades while maintaining existing day-to-day functionality. Incident response is also an important part of a technology manager’s responsibilities. Technology management is a very challenging field that is constantly changing and evolving. Technology managers must be able to react quickly and adapt themselves and their skills to stay competitive.
Graduates of the bachelor level technology management degree can work in technician and entry-level management positions while graduates with a technology management masters degree can start off working in middle and upper management in information technology and systems departments in many businesses and industries.
The most employable technology managers are those with both the theoretical and practical skills and knowledge in the latest information technology and management theory. Many positions also specify that that technology managers should be able to integrate business systems experience with emerging technologies. This is training that is provided in the online technology management degree.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
Career opportunities with an online technology management degree are potentially lucrative and technology management positions are expected to continue to grow as our personal and reliance on technology continues to increase. This is especially so at the master of technology management degree level. Opportunities for technology managers are available in various types of businesses and industries such manufacturing, software development, banking and finance, telecommunications, etc.
The United States Bureau of Labor and Statistics (BLS) reports that the median annual salary of information systems and technology managers is about $112,200. Over 50% of technology managers earn between $69,000 and $142,000.
With a technology management degree or related information technology qualifications, the annual median salary for computer systems analysts is about $76,000. The middle 50% of computer systems analysts earn between $45,500 and $59,000. As of 2011, the median Estimated Income for a Information Technology Manager in the was $107,915. The BLS also reports that the employment of computer and information systems managers is expected to increase by 17% between 2008 and 2018.
Information Technology Management Programs
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MBA - Information Technology
- AAS in Business Administration - Information Processing
- BS in Business Administration - Information Systems Management
- And more...
CTU can help you connect to what matters most: a powerful professional network, faculty who are real-world professionals and innovative technology. And now several CTU degree programs are ranked by U.S. News Best Online Programs for 2015. Are you in?
- Master of Business Administration - Technology Management
- Master of Science in Management IT and Project Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - IT
- And more...
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- B.S. in Business Administration
- Bridge (Doctor of Business Administration with an Emphasis in Data Analytics)
- And more...
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Small Business Information Technology
- Master of Business Administration - Economics
- Bachelor of Science in Business - General
- And more...
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
What Are You Waiting For?
- IT Management - Bachelor's
- Business Administration - Bachelor's
- Bachelor’s and Master’s level programs in digital investigations, information assurance and security, project management, and more.
- American InterContinental University is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. To contact the Higher Learnin Commission please visit www.hlcommission.org
- 8 out the top 20 employers of AIU graduates are Fortune 50 companies
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Management
- MBA - Management
- MBA - Project Management
- And more...
With over 80 years of academic achievements, Jacksonville University is a traditional, longstanding institution consistently ranked by U.S. News & World Report as one of America's best colleges.
- Master of Science in Applied Business Analytics
For nearly a century, Columbia International University has educated people from a biblical worldview to impact the nations with the message of Christ. Today we continue that effort, offering 21 degree programs for residential undergraduate students, as well as graduate and seminary programs, professional certificates, and convenient online programs for working adults.
- Bachelor of Science in Business
- Associate of Arts in Business
- Master of Business Administration
- Sports Marketing and Media, Bachelor of Science
- Hotel & Restaurant Management