The technology management degree is a practical degree that offers students the theoretical and practical skills and to work as technology managers. In the technology management program, students learn how to operate and analyze technological systems. The current workplace is driven by technology. A degree in technology management prepares graduates to work with many technologies and also to maintain and troubleshoot IT problems. They also make recommendations on new and technology products. Completing the requirements for the degree in technology management provides students with the technical experience that employers seek. Hence, technology managers should be self-motivated and able to multitask in any given dynamic and challenging environment. This requires students to be able to troubleshoot, think strategically and manage projects. In addition technology managers must be current with the latest technology, and have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Technology Management Education and Training
Technology management courses that are required for graduation from a technology management program may include classes in fundamental information technology concepts, computer programming, telecommunications, database administration and management, and network technology. Students also need to have a strong business foundation. The technology management degree business courses include business management, business law, accounting, finance, economics, and business statistics.
Technology management degree programs are offered at associate, bachelor, and masters (MBA) levels. The technology management master degree is ideal for those who wish to work in managerial or supervisory positions. They deal more with specifically with the understanding of business and information systems, maintenance and requirements of the different information technologies. Specific online technology management degree course requirements may include:
- Computerized accounting
- Inventory control
- Network technologies
- Integrating information technology systems
- Evaluating and assessing IT systems
In the technology management masters programs, for example the MBA technology management program, the focus is on management aspects of technology. Technology management training is designed to help graduates to become analytical, evaluative thinkers, to be able to design, develop and implement the technology needs for the organization by applying strong management skills.
Technology management graduate programs also include learning about the financial aspects of technology management such as budgets. In addition course requirements may include strategic planning an organizational management and project management.
Although having a technology management license is not required in many states, many technology managers choose to obtain technology licenses and technology certifications in order to be more competitive.
Technology Management Careers
In order to be effective in an IT management position, technology managers must have experience working in the IT field in addition to a technology management degree or related field before moving into management. Technology managers must also possess the ability to look at the big picture of their organization.
Technology managers must be able to anticipate technology challenges, forecast the future needs of their company and plan future upgrades while maintaining existing day-to-day functionality. Incident response is also an important part of a technology manager’s responsibilities. Technology management is a very challenging field that is constantly changing and evolving. Technology managers must be able to react quickly and adapt themselves and their skills to stay competitive.
Graduates of the bachelor level technology management degree can work in technician and entry-level management positions while graduates with a technology management masters degree can start off working in middle and upper management in information technology and systems departments in many businesses and industries.
The most employable technology managers are those with both the theoretical and practical skills and knowledge in the latest information technology and management theory. Many positions also specify that that technology managers should be able to integrate business systems experience with emerging technologies. This is training that is provided in the online technology management degree.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
Career opportunities with an online technology management degree are potentially lucrative and technology management positions are expected to continue to grow as our personal and reliance on technology continues to increase. This is especially so at the master of technology management degree level. Opportunities for technology managers are available in various types of businesses and industries such manufacturing, software development, banking and finance, telecommunications, etc.
The United States Bureau of Labor and Statistics (BLS) reports that the median annual salary of information systems and technology managers is about $112,200. Over 50% of technology managers earn between $69,000 and $142,000.
With a technology management degree or related information technology qualifications, the annual median salary for computer systems analysts is about $76,000. The middle 50% of computer systems analysts earn between $45,500 and $59,000. As of 2011, the median Estimated Income for a Information Technology Manager in the was $107,915. The BLS also reports that the employment of computer and information systems managers is expected to increase by 17% between 2008 and 2018.
Information Technology Management Programs
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Management of Engineering & Technology - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Management of Engineering and Technology - MBA
- Management of Engineering and Technology - D.B.A.
- And more...
- Top-ranked online MBA
- As few as 24 months to complete
- GMAT waivers for experienced professionalsin 24 months.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Six concentrations available
- AACSB accredited
- Master of Business Adminitration (MBA)
- Do you have entrepreneurial visions to advance your career in the business world? Learn about the options available at GCU.
- Earn a competitive bachelor's or master's degree in the areas of business administration, business analytics, accounting, marketing and more.
- Many of our business degrees have attained elite accreditation from the Accreditation Council for Business Schools & Programs (ACBSP).
- GCU nurtures the startup spirit, propelling your entrepreneurial visions on a powerful platform with opportunities to help you thrive.
- Pursue a next-generation education with an online program or join Grand Canyon University's vibrant and growing campus community in beautiful Phoenix, Arizona.
- B.S. in Business Administration
- Bridge (Doctor of Business Administration with an Emphasis in Data Analytics)
- And more...
- Our top-ranking program blends modern business theory with real-world experience
- Institutionally accredited by SACSCOC with ACBSP graduate business program accreditation
- High-quality, Christ-centered education with online and select on-campus & evening courses
- Qualifying bachelor's students can transfer up to 90 credit hours into their degree program
- 86% of Regent students receive some form of financial aid
- Master of Business Administration - Economics
- Bachelor of Science in Business - General Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Business Administration in Information Systems
- Bachelor of Science: Business Administration: Communications
- Bachelor of Science: Business Administration: Marketing Analytics
- And more...
- ECPI’s programs keep you ahead of curve in today’s fast-growing tech industry
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Choose from programs in Cybersecurity, Cloud Computing, Engineering & more
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- IT Management - Bachelor's
- Suit Up! Success Waits For No One!
- Take Action Now! Find The Perfect Business Program For You
- Get Matched For Free Today!