The technology management degree is a practical degree that offers students the theoretical and practical skills and to work as technology managers. In the technology management program, students learn how to operate and analyze technological systems. The current workplace is driven by technology. A degree in technology management prepares graduates to work with many technologies and also to maintain and troubleshoot IT problems. They also make recommendations on new and technology products. Completing the requirements for the degree in technology management provides students with the technical experience that employers seek. Hence, technology managers should be self-motivated and able to multitask in any given dynamic and challenging environment. This requires students to be able to troubleshoot, think strategically and manage projects. In addition technology managers must be current with the latest technology, and have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Technology Management Education and Training
Technology management courses that are required for graduation from a technology management program may include classes in fundamental information technology concepts, computer programming, telecommunications, database administration and management, and network technology. Students also need to have a strong business foundation. The technology management degree business courses include business management, business law, accounting, finance, economics, and business statistics.
Technology management degree programs are offered at associate, bachelor, and masters (MBA) levels. The technology management master degree is ideal for those who wish to work in managerial or supervisory positions. They deal more with specifically with the understanding of business and information systems, maintenance and requirements of the different information technologies. Specific online technology management degree course requirements may include:
- Computerized accounting
- Inventory control
- Network technologies
- Integrating information technology systems
- Evaluating and assessing IT systems
In the technology management masters programs, for example the MBA technology management program, the focus is on management aspects of technology. Technology management training is designed to help graduates to become analytical, evaluative thinkers, to be able to design, develop and implement the technology needs for the organization by applying strong management skills.
Technology management graduate programs also include learning about the financial aspects of technology management such as budgets. In addition course requirements may include strategic planning an organizational management and project management.
Although having a technology management license is not required in many states, many technology managers choose to obtain technology licenses and technology certifications in order to be more competitive.
Technology Management Careers
In order to be effective in an IT management position, technology managers must have experience working in the IT field in addition to a technology management degree or related field before moving into management. Technology managers must also possess the ability to look at the big picture of their organization.
Technology managers must be able to anticipate technology challenges, forecast the future needs of their company and plan future upgrades while maintaining existing day-to-day functionality. Incident response is also an important part of a technology manager’s responsibilities. Technology management is a very challenging field that is constantly changing and evolving. Technology managers must be able to react quickly and adapt themselves and their skills to stay competitive.
Graduates of the bachelor level technology management degree can work in technician and entry-level management positions while graduates with a technology management masters degree can start off working in middle and upper management in information technology and systems departments in many businesses and industries.
The most employable technology managers are those with both the theoretical and practical skills and knowledge in the latest information technology and management theory. Many positions also specify that that technology managers should be able to integrate business systems experience with emerging technologies. This is training that is provided in the online technology management degree.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Growth
Career opportunities with an online technology management degree are potentially lucrative and technology management positions are expected to continue to grow as our personal and reliance on technology continues to increase. This is especially so at the master of technology management degree level. Opportunities for technology managers are available in various types of businesses and industries such manufacturing, software development, banking and finance, telecommunications, etc.
The United States Bureau of Labor and Statistics (BLS) reports that the median annual salary of information systems and technology managers is about $112,200. Over 50% of technology managers earn between $69,000 and $142,000.
With a technology management degree or related information technology qualifications, the annual median salary for computer systems analysts is about $76,000. The middle 50% of computer systems analysts earn between $45,500 and $59,000. As of 2011, the median Estimated Income for a Information Technology Manager in the was $107,915. The BLS also reports that the employment of computer and information systems managers is expected to increase by 17% between 2008 and 2018.
Information Technology Management Programs
- Boldly pursue your future in business with an online degree from Post University
- Degrees at all levels with concentrations in Finance, Marketing, and much more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelors Programs for Veterans by US News & World Report
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- B.S. in Business Administration / Computer Information Systems
- Master of Business Administration - Multidisciplinary
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- And more...
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MBA - Information Technology
- BS in Business Administration - Information Systems Management
- AAS in Business Administration - Information Processing
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.B.A. in Technology Management
- M.B.A. in Technology
- D.B.A. - Information Systems Management
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Business Administration
- Bridge (Doctor of Business Administration with an Emphasis in Data Analytics)
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Management of Engineering and Technology - MBA
- Management of Engineering & Technology - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Management of Engineering and Technology - D.B.A.
- And more...
- ECPI’s programs keep you ahead of curve in today’s fast-growing tech industry
- SACS accredited with campuses in Virginia, Florida, North Carolina & South Carolina
- US News & World Report ranks Online Bachelor’s Programs among top 10%
- Choose from programs in Cybersecurity, Cloud Computing, Engineering & more
- Qualifying students can take faith in EPCI’s unwavering Fixed Tuition Pledge
- IT Management - Bachelor's
- Doctorate of Business Administration in Information Systems and Enterprise Resource Management (DBAISERM)
- Master of Business Administration Information Systems and Knowledge Management (MBAISKM)
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
- And more...
Named a “Best College” by U.S. News & World Report, The Princeton Review, and Forbes, Simmons University has earned a reputation for providing a pioneering liberal arts education for undergraduates integrated with professional work experience. Today, Simmons offers renowned coeducational graduate programs in business, communications management, nursing and health sciences, education, liberal arts, social work, and library and information science.
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes. 100% Free Match to Top Colleges.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You'll Love.
- Answer a few questions and you are one step closer to enroll in a Top College!