Interested in TESOL Certification? Why is TESOL an important area of study in today’s global economy? As the global village becomes smaller, the need to communicate seamlessly increases. TESOL stands for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages and encompasses Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) and Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL). Thousands of teachers around the world have found this an invaluable certificate-level qualification by completing online ESL courses. It is a dynamic and rapidly growing field. Some schools offer English as a Second Language (ESL) for example some colleges and universities offer a M.Ed. Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. Linked to both Applied Linguistics and Education, TESOL is concerned with theoretical and practical issues in teaching English as a Second Language (ESL). If you are interested in English teaching abroad you can begin by locating education programs in ESL.
TESOL Education and Training
The areas of interest in TESOL certification are:
- Research and development of language teaching materials and methodologies
- Processes of language learning in communities, classroom learning and language acquisition in individuals
- Teacher training and professional development
TESOL is very diverse, and incorporates many areas for example:
- Computer-based language instruction
- Second language testing
- Program evaluation
- Curriculum design
- Development of second language literacy
- Intercultural communication
In addition to learning a new language via e-learning, having a TESOL certificate will give you the skills to teach English to speakers of other languages both locally and abroad. The demand for teachers with training in TESOL is very high around the world, and schools and colleges are urgently looking for native speakers and non-native speakers with high-level English language skills. The fact that a TESOL certification e and ESL Courses are accredited means that the qualification is accepted all around the worlds, and that the course materials and the experience of the trainers are credible.
Why TESOL is Important?
The demand for English teachers around the world is unprecedented. Globalization of business, travel and tourism, the internet, entertainment, and academic education means that the need for people everywhere to speak English is in high demand. Over the last decade, the demand for qualified English teachers has grown. Overseas employers now seek out people who have completed at least some basic training in teaching English and people who have an understanding of what is required once they enter the classroom.
As a native speaker of English you are in high demand for teaching positions around the world. Not only do you bring your spoken English to the classroom, but you also bring your innate understanding of the language – you know the unique way in which English functions in the real world, rather than just what can be learned from a book – the slang, the idiosyncrasies, the customs of the language. Get some tips for learning a new language. There are literally thousands of and TESL jobs and opportunities available worldwide right now. If you can speak English fluently then you can teach English and you can become involved in this exciting and growing global industry and in some cases you get to travel for free!
What can you do with a TESOL certificate or ESL courses? For one thing, you can get paid to travel and teach internationally! Although the focus of TESOL is on English as a target language, the concepts are readily transferable to the teaching of languages other than English, and you can work.
ESL teachers use real-world contexts to teach English language learners how to speak, listen, read, and write English. They work with students of all ages and nationalities, where the work in local community centers, community colleges and adult learning centers, and K-12 schools.
TESOL certification and TESOL masters degrees allows graduates to work in a variety of second language teaching contexts, for example schools, universities, private language centers, teach abroad programs, company and business classes. In addition you can work in curriculum development, teacher training or program administration.
Earn money teaching English abroad – TEFL and TESOL courses give you the training and certification required by most language schools in order to get a professional and well-paid job. Online training programs involve learning about the subject matter, managing classes, designing activities and planning lessons. The Online TEFL and TESOL certification do prepare you interactively to develop skills in those areas. In addition TESOL certification programs give you maximum flexibility to learn anywhere anytime, plus great teaching practice options in exotic locations also available.
Teaching opportunities with ESL certification including working at community colleges, community centers, teaching in K-12 schools will continue to be important. Certified K-12 teachers can work with younger learners while those interested in working with adult learners may chose to teach abroad or teach at the college level.
With ESL certification or ESOL training you can increase job opportunities and develop instructional skills for teaching English to non-native speakers. Along with mathematics and science education, bilingual education is one of the fast growing areas in K-12 education. Employment of adult literacy and remedial education teachers is expected to grow.
ESL – Second Language Education and Teaching Programs
Online Learning at Concordia University–Portland
If education is your passion, Concordia University-Portland is your university. One of the most respected names in learning today, Concordia offers several fully online Master of Education (MEd) programs—most of which can completed in one year—and a fully online Doctorate of Education (EdD) program. Our graduates stand out with the skills, integrity, and compassion necessary to meet the ever-changing needs of students today. Together, we're all making an impact in education.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)
- And more...
- Post brings 127+ years of campus success to flexible online degrees in Education
- 100% online with degrees at all levels
- Connect with other professionals in education around the world and across industries
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- Master of Education - TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages)
- Master of Education in Instructional Design & Technology
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (NITL)
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S.Ed - Teaching English Language Learners(Grades K-12)
- Doctor of Education (EDD)
- Doctor of Education - Curriculum, Instruction & Assessment (K-12)
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- English Second Language - Master of Education
- English Second Language - PhD in Education
- English Second Language - EdS
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Instructional Design & Technology
Trident University International provides an exceptional online educational experience for its students – diverse adult learners including current and former members of the military family. Adhering to the highest standards of academic excellence, faculty and staff foster a learning community where students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills to enhance their lives and advance their careers.
- Educational Leadership (Ed.D.)
- Master of Arts in Education
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes! 100% Free Match to Top Colleges
- Get Matched to the Perfect Education Online or Campus-Based Degree Programs from Top Colleges Here
- Earn Your Degree in Early Childhood Education, Special Education, Adult Education and More
- Study Online to Learn at Your Own Pace and Pursue a Career You’ll Love
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Earning Your Degree from a Top University!