Interested in TESOL Certification? Why is TESOL an important area of study in today’s global economy? As the global village becomes smaller, the need to communicate seamlessly increases. TESOL stands for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages and encompasses Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) and Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL). Thousands of teachers around the world have found this an invaluable certificate-level qualification by completing online ESL courses. It is a dynamic and rapidly growing field. Some schools offer English as a Second Language (ESL) for example some colleges and universities offer a M.Ed. Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. Linked to both Applied Linguistics and Education, TESOL is concerned with theoretical and practical issues in teaching English as a Second Language (ESL). If you are interested in English teaching abroad you can begin by locating education programs in ESL.
TESOL Education and Training
The areas of interest in TESOL certification are:
- Research and development of language teaching materials and methodologies
- Processes of language learning in communities, classroom learning and language acquisition in individuals
- Teacher training and professional development
TESOL is very diverse, and incorporates many areas for example:
- Computer-based language instruction
- Second language testing
- Program evaluation
- Curriculum design
- Development of second language literacy
- Intercultural communication
In addition to learning a new language via e-learning, having a TESOL certificate will give you the skills to teach English to speakers of other languages both locally and abroad. The demand for teachers with training in TESOL is very high around the world, and schools and colleges are urgently looking for native speakers and non-native speakers with high-level English language skills. The fact that a TESOL certification e and ESL Courses are accredited means that the qualification is accepted all around the worlds, and that the course materials and the experience of the trainers are credible.
Why TESOL is Important?
The demand for English teachers around the world is unprecedented. Globalization of business, travel and tourism, the internet, entertainment, and academic education means that the need for people everywhere to speak English is in high demand. Over the last decade, the demand for qualified English teachers has grown. Overseas employers now seek out people who have completed at least some basic training in teaching English and people who have an understanding of what is required once they enter the classroom.
As a native speaker of English you are in high demand for teaching positions around the world. Not only do you bring your spoken English to the classroom, but you also bring your innate understanding of the language – you know the unique way in which English functions in the real world, rather than just what can be learned from a book – the slang, the idiosyncrasies, the customs of the language. Get some tips for learning a new language. There are literally thousands of and TESL jobs and opportunities available worldwide right now. If you can speak English fluently then you can teach English and you can become involved in this exciting and growing global industry and in some cases you get to travel for free!
What can you do with a TESOL certificate or ESL courses? For one thing, you can get paid to travel and teach internationally! Although the focus of TESOL is on English as a target language, the concepts are readily transferable to the teaching of languages other than English, and you can work.
ESL teachers use real-world contexts to teach English language learners how to speak, listen, read, and write English. They work with students of all ages and nationalities, where the work in local community centers, community colleges and adult learning centers, and K-12 schools.
TESOL certification and TESOL masters degrees allows graduates to work in a variety of second language teaching contexts, for example schools, universities, private language centers, teach abroad programs, company and business classes. In addition you can work in curriculum development, teacher training or program administration.
Earn money teaching English abroad – TEFL and TESOL courses give you the training and certification required by most language schools in order to get a professional and well-paid job. Online training programs involve learning about the subject matter, managing classes, designing activities and planning lessons. The Online TEFL and TESOL certification do prepare you interactively to develop skills in those areas. In addition TESOL certification programs give you maximum flexibility to learn anywhere anytime, plus great teaching practice options in exotic locations also available.
Teaching opportunities with ESL certification including working at community colleges, community centers, teaching in K-12 schools will continue to be important. Certified K-12 teachers can work with younger learners while those interested in working with adult learners may chose to teach abroad or teach at the college level.
With ESL certification or ESOL training you can increase job opportunities and develop instructional skills for teaching English to non-native speakers. Along with mathematics and science education, bilingual education is one of the fast growing areas in K-12 education. Employment of adult literacy and remedial education teachers is expected to grow.
ESL – Second Language Education and Teaching Programs
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Education in Instructional Technology - Adult Learning-Organizations
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- English as a Second Language (Master of Education) - Online
- English as a Second Language (MEd plus Certification) - Online
- English as a Second Language (Certificate Only) - Online
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
For nearly a century, Columbia International University has educated people from a biblical worldview to impact the nations with the message of Christ. Today we continue that effort, offering 21 degree programs for residential undergraduate students, as well as graduate and seminary programs, professional certificates, and convenient online programs for working adults.
- Master of Education (Instruction & Learning)
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education*