Interested in TESOL Certification? Why is TESOL an important area of study in today’s global economy? As the global village becomes smaller, the need to communicate seamlessly increases. TESOL stands for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages and encompasses Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) and Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL). Thousands of teachers around the world have found this an invaluable certificate-level qualification by completing online ESL courses. It is a dynamic and rapidly growing field. Some schools offer English as a Second Language (ESL) for example some colleges and universities offer a M.Ed. Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. Linked to both Applied Linguistics and Education, TESOL is concerned with theoretical and practical issues in teaching English as a Second Language (ESL). If you are interested in English teaching abroad you can begin by locating education programs in ESL.
TESOL Education and Training
The areas of interest in TESOL certification are:
- Research and development of language teaching materials and methodologies
- Processes of language learning in communities, classroom learning and language acquisition in individuals
- Teacher training and professional development
TESOL is very diverse, and incorporates many areas for example:
- Computer-based language instruction
- Second language testing
- Program evaluation
- Curriculum design
- Development of second language literacy
- Intercultural communication
In addition to learning a new language via e-learning, having a TESOL certificate will give you the skills to teach English to speakers of other languages both locally and abroad. The demand for teachers with training in TESOL is very high around the world, and schools and colleges are urgently looking for native speakers and non-native speakers with high-level English language skills. The fact that a TESOL certification e and ESL Courses are accredited means that the qualification is accepted all around the worlds, and that the course materials and the experience of the trainers are credible.
Why TESOL is Important?
The demand for English teachers around the world is unprecedented. Globalization of business, travel and tourism, the internet, entertainment, and academic education means that the need for people everywhere to speak English is in high demand. Over the last decade, the demand for qualified English teachers has grown. Overseas employers now seek out people who have completed at least some basic training in teaching English and people who have an understanding of what is required once they enter the classroom.
As a native speaker of English you are in high demand for teaching positions around the world. Not only do you bring your spoken English to the classroom, but you also bring your innate understanding of the language – you know the unique way in which English functions in the real world, rather than just what can be learned from a book – the slang, the idiosyncrasies, the customs of the language. Get some tips for learning a new language. There are literally thousands of and TESL jobs and opportunities available worldwide right now. If you can speak English fluently then you can teach English and you can become involved in this exciting and growing global industry and in some cases you get to travel for free!
What can you do with a TESOL certificate or ESL courses? For one thing, you can get paid to travel and teach internationally! Although the focus of TESOL is on English as a target language, the concepts are readily transferable to the teaching of languages other than English, and you can work.
ESL teachers use real-world contexts to teach English language learners how to speak, listen, read, and write English. They work with students of all ages and nationalities, where the work in local community centers, community colleges and adult learning centers, and K-12 schools.
TESOL certification and TESOL masters degrees allows graduates to work in a variety of second language teaching contexts, for example schools, universities, private language centers, teach abroad programs, company and business classes. In addition you can work in curriculum development, teacher training or program administration.
Earn money teaching English abroad – TEFL and TESOL courses give you the training and certification required by most language schools in order to get a professional and well-paid job. Online training programs involve learning about the subject matter, managing classes, designing activities and planning lessons. The Online TEFL and TESOL certification do prepare you interactively to develop skills in those areas. In addition TESOL certification programs give you maximum flexibility to learn anywhere anytime, plus great teaching practice options in exotic locations also available.
Teaching opportunities with ESL certification including working at community colleges, community centers, teaching in K-12 schools will continue to be important. Certified K-12 teachers can work with younger learners while those interested in working with adult learners may chose to teach abroad or teach at the college level.
With ESL certification or ESOL training you can increase job opportunities and develop instructional skills for teaching English to non-native speakers. Along with mathematics and science education, bilingual education is one of the fast growing areas in K-12 education. Employment of adult literacy and remedial education teachers is expected to grow.
ESL – Second Language Education and Teaching Programs
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Education in Instructional Technology - Adult Learning-Organizations
- Are you ready to advance or start your career inspiring minds and changing lives? Apply to join GCU's prestigious teaching community.
- GCU recognizes the diverse needs in education and creates meaningful experiences through all bachelor's and master's degree programs.
- Traditional college or online programs, GCU offers education degrees for a variety of learning needs – take your pick!
- Earn your master's or bachelor's degree online, on-campus or take individual courses for specific studies.
- Join the GCU heritage and take advantage of the opportunity to engage, instruct and inspire.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- One of the first fully online M.Ed. programs to be accredited by TEAC (Teacher Education Accreditation Council)
- Courses within 6 distinct education specializations use real-world deliverables aligned with industry-specific objectives
- Specializations include elementary education, secondary education instructional design and technology and more
- AIU’s M.Ed. uses a proprietary adaptive learning engine to provide individualized content delivery not available at this scale in other online programs at this time.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Adult Education and Training
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: English to Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) (K - Adult)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: English Language Development
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- English Second Language - PhD in Education
- English Second Language - EdS
- English Second Language - Doctor of Education
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science: Education
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Education Specialist in Instructional Design and Technology
- PhD in Instructional Design and Technology
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
At Baker College, you’ll have the opportunity to choose between an on campus education or an online education, depending on what works best for you and for your schedule. Our ground campuses are located across Michigan and one campus in Reading, Pennsylvania.
- Elementary Mathematics - Additional Endorsement - Certificate