Visual communications degree provides you with many career options. That includes graphic design, advertising, and marketing. The visual communications programs, providing skills in like graphic design, web design, interactive media design and multimedia design, has increased along with the growth of the Internet and web-based advertising. The goal of visual communication is to creatively display information and products, for example in public relations and promotions. A visual communications degree will prepare you with skills in graphic design, web design multimedia design, and interactive media. The field has grown dramatically with the growth of web-based advertising and the popularity of the Internet and other technologies. A visual communications degree program is important to preparing students with the ability to design and transmit clear, consistent messages. Many graduates go on to pursue careers in advertising, interactive design, multimedia design, and other related areas that cal for skills in visual design and visual literacy.
Visual Communication Education and Training
The visual communications degree is offered at the associates, bachelors, and masters level. Various areas of educational training will prepare you to become a professional in this field including advertising, public relations, English, marketing, journalism, graphic design, film production, and multimedia design. Visual communications courses are hands-on and students often develop a portfolio as well as complete an internship. Some visual design classes may include:
- Principles of Design
- Computer Animation
- Computer Illustration
- Color Theory
- Lettering and Typography
- Web Design
- Computer Graphics
- Writing for Media
This is one area of study where courses are offered at various levels including certificate, associate degree and bachelor degree. Masters in visual communications programs are also offered by certain schools and programs often fall under the Master of Fine Arts program as an area of concentration.
Visual Communications Careers
People with a visual communications degree often work for marketing, promotions, public relations, advertising, and sales companies. Some of these areas are television commercials, print advertisements, newspapers, magazines, and the Internet. Other careers with an online visual arts degree are available for graphic designers, new media production designers, graphic communications, multimedia designers, and animators.
Other positions include Internet and web designers, graphic designers for interactive media, and digital video editors. With an advanced degree, and several years of experience, some graduates choose to work in academic settings as art teachers (teacher certification is generally required in K-12 education) as well as college level instructors
Estimated Income and Project Career Growth
Employment of graduates with visual communication degree is expected to continue to grow steadily over the next several years, and the employment of artists and related positions is expected to grow 12% between 2008 and 2018 according to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The BLS reports that visual communications professionals held about 428,000 jobs in 2004. More than 25% of those worked in freelance projects.
The income for people with Online visual communications degree programs and related areas ranges from $35,000 to $50,000. Managers and supervisors make around $64,000 but the top earners make over $100,000 annually. In 2008 art directors earned on average $76,980 while fine artists, painters, sculptors, and illustrators made $42,650. Multimedia artists and animators made $56,330 on average.
Communications and Media Programs
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Dedicated career services team that helps students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary
- Program Coordinators focus on improving program content and ensure that students have the resources they need
- Over 50 locations nationwide
- Class Start: May 10 Mid-quarter: July 9
- Digital Image Management (D)
- Public Relations, Master of Arts (Online)
- Media Communications, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- New Media Journalism, Master of Science
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Master of Arts: Strategic Communication
- Master of Arts: Communication
- MS in Marketing: Public Relations
- And more...
- Enhance Your Professional Value with a Liberal Arts Degree!
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Liberal Arts & Sciences, Communication & Public Relations, English, History, Women's Studies Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Liberal Arts Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!