Visual communications degree provides you with many career options. That includes graphic design, advertising, and marketing. The visual communications programs, providing skills in like graphic design, web design, interactive media design and multimedia design, has increased along with the growth of the Internet and web-based advertising. The goal of visual communication is to creatively display information and products, for example in public relations and promotions. A visual communications degree will prepare you with skills in graphic design, web design multimedia design, and interactive media. The field has grown dramatically with the growth of web-based advertising and the popularity of the Internet and other technologies. A visual communications degree program is important to preparing students with the ability to design and transmit clear, consistent messages. Many graduates go on to pursue careers in advertising, interactive design, multimedia design, and other related areas that cal for skills in visual design and visual literacy.
Visual Communication Education and Training
The visual communications degree is offered at the associates, bachelors, and masters level. Various areas of educational training will prepare you to become a professional in this field including advertising, public relations, English, marketing, journalism, graphic design, film production, and multimedia design. Visual communications courses are hands-on and students often develop a portfolio as well as complete an internship. Some visual design classes may include:
- Principles of Design
- Computer Animation
- Computer Illustration
- Color Theory
- Lettering and Typography
- Web Design
- Computer Graphics
- Writing for Media
This is one area of study where courses are offered at various levels including certificate, associate degree and bachelor degree. Masters in visual communications programs are also offered by certain schools and programs often fall under the Master of Fine Arts program as an area of concentration.
Visual Communications Careers
People with a visual communications degree often work for marketing, promotions, public relations, advertising, and sales companies. Some of these areas are television commercials, print advertisements, newspapers, magazines, and the Internet. Other careers with an online visual arts degree are available for graphic designers, new media production designers, graphic communications, multimedia designers, and animators.
Other positions include Internet and web designers, graphic designers for interactive media, and digital video editors. With an advanced degree, and several years of experience, some graduates choose to work in academic settings as art teachers (teacher certification is generally required in K-12 education) as well as college level instructors
Estimated Income and Project Career Growth
Employment of graduates with visual communication degree is expected to continue to grow steadily over the next several years, and the employment of artists and related positions is expected to grow 12% between 2008 and 2018 according to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The BLS reports that visual communications professionals held about 428,000 jobs in 2004. More than 25% of those worked in freelance projects.
The income for people with Online visual communications degree programs and related areas ranges from $35,000 to $50,000. Managers and supervisors make around $64,000 but the top earners make over $100,000 annually. In 2008 art directors earned on average $76,980 while fine artists, painters, sculptors, and illustrators made $42,650. Multimedia artists and animators made $56,330 on average.
Communications and Media Programs
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Dedicated career services team that helps students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary
- Program Coordinators focus on improving program content and ensure that students have the resources they need
- Over 50 locations nationwide
- Digital Image Management (C)
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- BS in Business Administration - New Media/Internet Marketing
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Public Relations, Master of Arts (Online)
- Media Communications, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- New Media Journalism, Master of Science
- Bachelor’s program options include Communication, Political Communication, Cinema-Television, and more.
- Several concentrations available, including Rhetoric and Public Culture, Strategic Communication, Theatre, Journalism, Internet and Social Media, and more.
- All concentrations are designed to teach students the fundamentals of journalism, helping them prepare for careers as reporters and writers.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Communication Studies
Colorado State University-Global Campus
Colorado State University-Global Campus (CSU-Global) recently received state approval to enroll students with little to no prior college experience. To help ensure student success, the university has created a program especially for these students who plan on starting their college experience for the first time with us.
- The first and only 100% online, fully accredited public university in the United States
- No set class times or locations
- Affordable tuition, guaranteed not to increase as long as you are enrolled
- Accelerated eight-week terms
- Classes start every month
- BS - Communication
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- BSBA - New Media/Internet Marketing
- Bachelor of Science: Communication
- BA Communication - Professional Writing
- MA Communication - New Media and Marketing
- BA Communications - New Media
- And more...
Concordia College-New York M.S. Degree Programs Online
Concordia College-New York offers accredited, innovative graduate degrees online to help you advance your career and become a transformative leader. We provide an online graduate experience that combines academic excellence with faith-based values to create ethical, effective leaders ready to improve their workplaces, their communities, and the world at large. Concordia New York is an accredited, nonprofit college with an academic tradition dating back more than 130 years. We offer a quality, affordable education that separates true innovation from trends, and best practices from buzzwords.
- M.S. in Digital Marketing
- M.A. in Digital Media